Article comments karma: beta testing Page 2

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• pjmaybe 11 Jun 2009 10:38:52 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @pjmaybe
    It's not coming to the forums - that would upset way too many people.

Cool.
  • Phily50 11 Jun 2009 10:39:39 2,199 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can you make it so that, like the mods with their tags, those people that reach a certain number of neg karma clicks automatically get a tag too?

Something along the lines of [cunt] would work just fine.
  • morriss 11 Jun 2009 10:41:15 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Problem with this system is, is that people get a rep and simply aren't liked. Now even if that person maybe tries to make amends and start posting sensibly, the mob will just dish out the negative Karma regardless which the defeats the object.

IMO, anyway.
  • Wastelander 11 Jun 2009 10:41:59 1,848 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just totally shunned Shinji.

FIGHT THE POWER!
  • pjmaybe 11 Jun 2009 10:42:09 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye, and that's also a very good additional reason not to roll it out on the forum.
  • Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 10:43:00 77,477 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Problem with this system is, is that people get a rep and simply aren't liked. Now even if that person maybe tries to make amends and start posting sensibly, the mob will just dish out the negative Karma regardless which the defeats the object.

IMO, anyway.
    EXACTLY!

Isn't it great?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• morriss 11 Jun 2009 10:44:08 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It'll work the opposite, too. A member of 'the gang' will troll, but as they have support in numbers, their posts will get positive karma no matter how disruptive it is. Which, again, will defeat the object entirely.
  • Cappy 11 Jun 2009 10:44:56 11,831 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No karma on the Eurogamer TV comments threads, is that going to be in the works?

*edit* Ooops the link I followed took me back to the vanilla site the karma system is there.
  • Retroid Moderator 11 Jun 2009 10:46:49 44,503 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wastelander wrote:
    It's a great feature, but as well as just hiding the comment, can you also make it set the poster on fire?
    I'd like this as a mod tool. Specifically for the European Elections thread.
  • JetSetWilly 11 Jun 2009 10:47:38 5,721 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Each poster should be able to see their Karma rating.
  • craigy Staff 11 Jun 2009 10:48:05 7,539 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @morriss
    I see what you're saying, but I think the collective scores from EG members as a whole will negate the purposeful negative scoring of small cliques.

If someone writes an insightful post, enough members will give it a positive score that it will stay on the site, regardless of embittered attempts from a dozen or so people to make it vanish. Since we have so many members these days, quality from many will trump negativity of the few.
  • Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 10:48:21 77,477 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    It'll work the opposite, too. A member of 'the gang' will troll, but as they have support in numbers, their posts will get positive karma no matter how disruptive it is. Which, again, will defeat the object entirely.
    I'm not seeing a problem here.

• craigy Staff 11 Jun 2009 10:48:39 7,539 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Cappy
    EGTV has Karma too!
  • shamblemonkee 11 Jun 2009 10:50:13 14,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    No karma on the Eurogamer TV comments threads, is that going to be in the works?

*edit* Ooops the link I followed took me back to the vanilla site the karma system is there.

It's there I just rated some on egtv.

will there be an option to view someones ratings history, i.e. like amazon ebay seller feedback?
  • morriss 11 Jun 2009 10:50:36 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @morriss
    I see what you're saying, but I think the collective scores from EG members as a whole will negate the purposeful negative scoring of small cliques.

If someone writes an insightful post, enough members will give it a positive score that it will stay on the site, regardless of embittered attempts from a dozen or so people to make it vanish. Since we have so many members these days, quality from many will trump negativity of the few.
    I see that, but if you're sifting the comments, and some posts aren't shown because of bad karma, do you trust the user to click on a link to show the post > read what might/might not be a crock of shit > then click again to give a score > then carry on down until the next buried post?

Tbh, - and this is just me - if I'm sifting through comments I'll just read what's in front me. Maybe I'm the only one, in which case, you'll be right.
  • DFawkes 11 Jun 2009 10:52:20 22,605 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Needs a big threshold, IMO. I don't like ignoring anyone at all, but I still want to click negative to symbolise my disgreement. Or there possibly is already a way, I'm not sure yet. I'm already far to click happy though, doing it for every single post. I'd ban me from making differences on Karma.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• craigy Staff 11 Jun 2009 10:52:52 7,539 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe the answer is to only show the scoring buttons once hidden post has been opened?
  • Blerk Moderator 11 Jun 2009 10:54:27 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    We're going to keep an eye on the thresholds. I think a set of natural values will emerge over time, and we'll shift the options accordingly.

What value would you want to set your threshold to?
    2 seems like a reasonable number for the more discerning reader. :-)

It'd be great for these to somehow add up to an overall user rating too, so we could set a 'user threshold' which hides shit from morons automatically without people having to tag their posts first.

Er... if we're being frank. :-D
  • morriss 11 Jun 2009 10:54:38 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe the answer is just to let people say whatever they like and if people don't like it they can click the ignore button? :)
  • Dirtbox 11 Jun 2009 10:55:18 77,477 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss is a square.

• Phily50 11 Jun 2009 10:55:33 2,199 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wastelander wrote:
    Minor thing, If you've got your box set to show -10 posts can you make it so the comment doesn't disappear when you neg it?

I mean, I've got it to show posts up to -10 but if I minus a post it'll hide it and I have to click the refresh thing or the show icon to show it again.

This doesn't seem to happen when you neg staff though.
  • morriss 11 Jun 2009 10:56:09 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Or maybe just allow people to turn the karma option on and off in their profiles. That's a decent compromise, imo.
  • craigy Staff 11 Jun 2009 10:58:08 7,539 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We can also adjust Karma so you can give yourself a really low negative viewing threshold, so no matter how low the score of a post, you'll always be able to see it.

The global/default thresholds will need adjusting for sure - there's a sweet spot, and I'm determined to find it!
  • Deleted user 11 June 2009 10:58:39
    You can ignore yourself, which bans you from the forum! Until you unignore yourself.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_banned.php
  • craigy Staff 11 Jun 2009 10:59:56 7,539 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aha, now there's a bug!
  • mingster 11 Jun 2009 11:03:47 3,270 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    how do we see peoples karma rating?
    can we ignore people by there karma rating?
  • Deleted user 11 June 2009 11:04:35
    I further noticed once you +/- someone you cannot undo it and set it back to neutral, only switch between +/- then. Also can edit/delete also be moved to the left column now? And some additional transparency for the red/green buttons.
  • pjmaybe 11 Jun 2009 11:04:54 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @morriss

Thing is, I don't think people read the comments in that way. If a negative comment is made about a game they like and have bought, they're going to neg-karma that person whether they've got a valid point to make or not.

Works the other way too.

• craigy Staff 11 Jun 2009 11:13:15 7,539 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mingster
    There's no way to see their "global score", as we're calling it. We might add it to the profile page; we might not. It's up in the air at the moment!
  • Deleted user 11 June 2009 11:24:36
    Another problem is that once you delete/edit/ignore within a comments section you cannot like to a specific comment anymore. The link will somehow include your last action.

Should be: http://beta-www.eurogamer.net/articles/nintendo-announces-ds-classroom/comments#comment1170654

But is: http://beta-www.eurogamer.net/articles/nintendo-announces-ds-classroom/comments?action=delete&id=1170664#comment1170654

Seems to fix itself once you go into a different comments section.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last