5.1 surround sound headphones Page 7

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • J.C 7 Jun 2012 09:52:48 1,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hellllllllllllllllllllllo. can anyone answer my question. please.
  • robthehermit 7 Jun 2012 10:02:10 3,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would say you'd be ok. Easy way to test it - plug some in.

Most gaming headsets have a dedicated input box that connects straight to the console. But a pair of good headphones plugged directly into your tv will no doubt offer a better sound experience than the tv speakers.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Fat_Pigeon 7 Jun 2012 11:55:16 9,796 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    J.C wrote:
    lm using a viera plasma and it has a headphone connection. im not bothered about gaming headphones, i just want a pair of stereo cans for single player games. will the sound quality be ok if i just plug them into the plasma? there is an optical connection on it as well.

Edited by J.C at 22:46:32 06-06-2012
    why would the sound quality not be ok? it would be just like plugging headphones into any device you have ever owned.

I wouldn't bother buying anything too expensive, unless you are going to buy a dedicated amp for them.

Edited by Fat_Pigeon at 11:55:48 07-06-2012
  • kalel 7 Jun 2012 12:01:39 86,409 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not a question that's particularly easy to answer. It'll work yes. Beyond that I've no idea what you consider "ok", and considering you haven't said which TV you have or what headphones you're getting, nobody can't really say how good it'll be.

However, you're not exactly coming across as an audiophile, so yeah, I'm guessing for you it'll be "ok".
  • BillMurray 28 Feb 2013 16:43:09 7,622 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can anyone recommend me a headset for my PC for around 50?

For the past couple of years i've been using a Plantronics Gamecom 777,

...which has been awesome but the plastic housing cracked as I was stretching the headset to place on top of my odd shaped head and it's pretty much useless now, no matter how much gaffa tape I use.

Edited by BillMurray at 16:43:24 28-02-2013
  • nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 17:00:22 58,851 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The turtle beach x12 are pretty good at 30 sheets.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• BillMurray 28 Feb 2013 17:05:45 7,622 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun Should have mentioned i'm after a pair of 5.1 surround headphones :)
  • nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 17:07:02 58,851 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As per the thread title, doh! :D

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• quadfather 28 Feb 2013 17:11:54 11,864 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you have the cash (they're probably a lot cheaper now than when I got them), I have absolutely zero complaints with the sennheiser 350, both for gaming and films. Slight lack of bass, but the comfort and quality are fantastic. They only do a certain dolby virtualised surround, but they still sound alright to me

Edit - they're also very strong - I've had some of the those gameconn ones and the build is rubbish. The sennheisers are reassuringly sturdy.

Plus after a few minutes on, you'll completely forget you're wearing them. Very good fit

Edited by quadfather at 17:13:14 28-02-2013

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Carlo 20 Apr 2013 11:27:21 17,948 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just bought a pair of Roccat Kave 5.1. Hope they'll be good. Anyone use them?

PSN ID: Djini

• MightyMouse 20 Apr 2013 13:22:30 1,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Carlo

Yup, I've used a pair for the past year or so. They've got a good mic, decent sound, are pretty comfortable and fairly durable. The 5.1 is noticeable, though I wouldn't say it's quite as good as a 5.1 speaker setup. Better than Turtle Beach ones in my experience.
  • BillMurray 21 Apr 2013 10:28:11 7,622 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone had any experience with the Astro A40s?

I nearly purchased a Trittin 720+ headset yesterday but I've read some not exactly positive things about the microphone jack and I've not really seen any negative reviews on the Astro headsets.
  • KayJay 21 Apr 2013 11:17:17 5,287 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I've got a pair of the Astros. Can't knock them. I've had the top end Turtle Beach & Tritton but neither can match the quality of the A40's.
    mine are a year or so old and they are still in great nick. Really light but extremely well made and robust.
    They aren't 100% wireless though. You get a base station that sends a signal to what they call a "MixAmp" this then has a wire to your headset, kinda annoying compared to the TurtleBeach set but the ability to mix up the Game & Voice sounds quickly is a real bonus.
    Well worth the dosh tbh.
  • KayJay 21 Apr 2013 11:23:49 5,287 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh and voice Comms. If your on Xbox the chat cable goes form the Controller to the MixAmp. So again more wires for what's supposed to be a wireless unit. But that ones down to the 360 anyway.

On PS3 you need another cable, which I didn't realise when I got mine wasn't included in the box. Which was rather annoying! :/
    It's a USB to what I think is a 3.5mm jack that goes from your PS3 to the Astro base unit.
    I think in the new 2013 model it's a USB to Mini USB.
    Again not sure if its included in the Box! :/
  • KayJay 21 Apr 2013 11:27:39 5,287 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BillMurray and the voice Comms quality is excellent not complaints form my buddies and from my end its crystal clear.
  • BillMurray 21 Apr 2013 11:46:53 7,622 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They're only going to be used for PC so no problems there! More than happy to go with wired than wireless also. Ill definitely take a look at picking some up.
  • BillMurray 21 Apr 2013 22:31:16 7,622 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just picked up a pair for 130 off eBay. Pretty chuffed with that.
  • KayJay 21 Apr 2013 23:20:51 5,287 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BillMurray Not bad at all. Let us know what you think.
  • DuvaDan88 22 Apr 2013 18:55:10 539 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone used or got a pair of 7.1 headphones? Ive been looking to get a pair for my PC wondering if its worth the investment.

Xbox, Steam - DuvaDan
    3DS 4639-9278-1687
    Feel free to add me

• Carlo 22 Apr 2013 20:07:23 17,948 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Duva check to see if they are virtual 7.1 or actual 7.1

• BillMurray 25 Apr 2013 09:47:11 7,622 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just got my A40s in the post. They're lovely. So light! Will post impressions after I've had a quick go.
  • GreasyWeasel 25 Apr 2013 11:36:14 463 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had the Sennheiser PC 363D's for about a month now, they are replacements for the PC 350's someone mentioned further up. They come with a 7.1 usb device which works well or you can use them directly with a soundcard, I use a ASUS Xonar. They are very well built and the most comfortable headphones I have ever used but are open backed which means you can hear noise around you and also people around you can hear the headphones. This was a plus point for me since I'm gaming in a quiet room anyway and the open backs mean my ears don't get red hot. The mic is very solid and putting it up mutes it which is a nice feature. They are very expensive though.
  • Carlo 5 May 2013 00:20:21 17,948 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:
    @Carlo

Yup, I've used a pair for the past year or so. They've got a good mic, decent sound, are pretty comfortable and fairly durable. The 5.1 is noticeable, though I wouldn't say it's quite as good as a 5.1 speaker setup. Better than Turtle Beach ones in my experience.
    Took a bit to get them working but I can hear directions fairly well now.

Getting a fair bit of static though when nothing's going through them, I'm assuming that's down to the on-board sound card not being terribly well isolated.

They are very comfortable though!!!

• robthehermit 14 May 2013 11:59:23 3,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had a few extra pounds come my way, so I did the only decent thing, and blew it all on a pair of Warhead 7.1's. They should be with me tomorrow. \o/

Quick question regarding set-up. I'm considering plugging the optical out from my TV into the base unit instead of from the Xbox, so that I'll be able to use them for more than just gaming. Is this a viable option, or will the sound not be as good?

I know the obvious answer is try it and see if it works ok, but I'm hoping someone out there will have definitive answer.

• robthehermit 14 May 2013 12:00:08 3,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And yes, I know they're overpriced and over engineered and all that, but I really like the look of them.

• Tricky 14 May 2013 12:45:37 4,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Depends on what your TV does with the audio output from that optical port really. If it outputs in Stereo then the Warhead will utilise the Dolby Pro Logic IIx aspect to upmix the stereo to 7.1.

If it handles Dolby Digital then it will be upmixing 5.1 to 7.1.

Should still sound awesome either way.
  • GreasyWeasel 14 May 2013 13:00:42 463 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @robthehermit That depends on whether your tv will pass through a surround signal from a hdmi input to the optical output (assuming you are inputing surround via hdmi). My guess would be probably not but I can't be sure.
  • robthehermit 14 May 2013 14:54:09 3,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Google has not helped with finding out if the LG 42LM3400 will pass through a full surround signal. I'm guessing probably not, it was a cheap as chips, bottom of the range tv*. I guess I'll just have to plug it all in tomorrow and see what lights come on.

*Good enough for my crusty 40 year old eyes though. The headset should help with my half deaf lugholes.

• AaronTurner 31 Mar 2014 17:30:50 7,594 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just picked up some Turtle Beach PX4 headphones. In some games they give really remarkable surround sound, I've been playing Call of Duty offline and it genuinely helps you understand where other players are. Batman didn't seem quite so good. On the whole fantastic though, really impressed, don't know why it took me so long to pick some up!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next