The cycling thread Page 268

• Page

of 375 First / Last

• Benno 14 Oct 2013 12:41:46 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know I have heard and read (and watched many youtube videos) of people doing the dreaded slow motion fall. I accept that it will happen to me at some point! I'll just embrace it.

Like I say, its the clipping in that I have issues with. Its not the pedal tension, its just the actual lining up and clipping in of the cleat which is causing me issues! The pedals are in good nick, and the cleats are brand new.

I think i'll just have to practice, its damn tricky though!
  • MikeP 14 Oct 2013 12:47:24 2,075 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Try getting on the bike with you leant against a wall, and then get used to clipping in with only an initial glance to establish the pedal position. Then just try to do it on "feel"

That'll build the muscle memory for the position and motion. It's easier on MTB pedals, but the less time you spend rolling forward whilst looking down the better - it's safer.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 14 Oct 2013 12:50:32 8,312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clipping in is just practice, the back of the pedal is heavier so they always sit nose up, after a while you'll be used to sliding your foot over it and pressing into place.
  • Benno 14 Oct 2013 12:52:12 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah cheers, I live near an industrial estate so i might just spend 20 minutes pissing around there practicing my clipping. That should help with the muscle memory!
  • elstoof 14 Oct 2013 12:53:26 8,312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't expect to fall at some point either, I never did. if you go into it thinking you'll fall at some point then you probably will.
  • Benno 14 Oct 2013 12:59:05 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If it happens it happens. Until now I haven't really cycled before, and haven't owned a bike since I was 10 and used to BMX. Therefore I am not used to having normal pedals. I am not used to anything. I am starting fresh with clipless pedals and have no habits to 'un-learn' so to speak. I should be fine :)
  • Psychotext 14 Oct 2013 13:02:32 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Look on the bright side, at least on a road bike you wont do it on the side of a steep hill and then go tumbling down the hill end over end whilst still half clipped in.

...and I don't know anyone that's ever done that, honest.
  • Benno 14 Oct 2013 13:05:24 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah never thought of that, must be quite dangerous on some of the steeper trails. Aren't your stops and halts a little less predictable on a MTB as well? On a road bike you can see a junction from a mile off and unclip in plenty of time.

I bet not many people (if any) saw you fall down the hill though. It sounds like a trade off between embarrassment and physical injury. I am not sure which i'd rather endure :p
  • Psychotext 14 Oct 2013 13:24:36 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I generally switch to flats when doing anything particularly gnarly.
  • Psychotext 14 Oct 2013 16:15:10 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some sort of freak at the end of this vid...

• Benno 14 Oct 2013 17:25:01 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D
  • Megapocalypse 14 Oct 2013 17:38:12 5,515 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That videos made me sad. I miss my trips to the Lake District. :(
  • Phil-McCrack 14 Oct 2013 18:46:16 3,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just watched that vid and loved it but let me get one thing straight, it's off road but saw quite a few road bikes, are they equipped with special wheels/tyres?

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• Psychotext 14 Oct 2013 18:49:42 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Those were CX bikes weren't they? I don't recall seeing any full on road bikes on the day.

Also, funnily enough that vid showed none of the truly horrible sections. They made it seem almost friendly. :D
  • Trafford 14 Oct 2013 20:18:30 5,971 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some lovely looking trail in that video and what a soundbite at the end!
  • Megapocalypse 15 Oct 2013 09:12:16 5,515 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Smiling whilst cycling? Heresy, I know. :p

Edited by Megapocalypse at 15:31:27 15-10-2013
  • basmans_grob 15 Oct 2013 10:39:19 414 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What are peopleís experience of cycling clubs? Iím getting my first out and out racer this weekend after many years of MTB and touring bikes and Iím thinking of joining a local club. Iím new to the area (West London) so it seemed like a good way of meeting other riders.
    I ride an hour a day and other fitness stuff as well, I can do 100+ on a tourer in a day.
    Are clubs normally social etc and welcoming to new member who arenít ever going to be actually capable or racing??
  • andytheadequate 15 Oct 2013 17:00:28 8,358 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    basmans_grob wrote:
    What are peopleís experience of cycling clubs? Iím getting my first out and out racer this weekend after many years of MTB and touring bikes and Iím thinking of joining a local club. Iím new to the area (West London) so it seemed like a good way of meeting other riders.
    I ride an hour a day and other fitness stuff as well, I can do 100+ on a tourer in a day.
    Are clubs normally social etc and welcoming to new member who arenít ever going to be actually capable or racing??
    I recently joined a mountain bike club and it's great. Everyone is really friendly and I've been out on my bike a lot more, discovering new routes to ride. Road biking clubs look a lot more serious though...
  • elstoof 15 Oct 2013 17:16:30 8,312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Depends on the club, some are more geared towards fast riding or racing, some are more social, the bigger clubs will cater or both with several different rides per week. All clubs will welcome you getting in touch and showing interest, without members it's not much of a club.

There's loads in London to choose from, I'm a member of a couple. How far west are you? You'll find that most clubs start their ride a bit out of the centre of town so it comes down to how convenient they are for you. Of the ones I know of In the west you've got:
    London Dynamo - ride mainly in Richmond park, some brutal club runs.
    Kingston Wheelers - I think they're a bit friendlier with a range of levels, ride out into Surrey.
    Willesden CC - don't know anyone there so can't comment.
    Findsbury Park CC - start out in Potters Bar, nowhere near the park
    hackney CC - London Fields based I think.

You might have travel a few more miles to get to the club that suits, in which case:
    Dulwich paragon - huge club, catering for everyone.
    London Phoenix - reasonable size, mainly North London but spread all over London, race orientated but have several rides of different speed.

British Cycling website has a club search so see what you find.

Edited by elstoof at 17:18:24 15-10-2013
  • MikeP 15 Oct 2013 17:25:41 2,075 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for point out my moment of "Stardom" Psycho. :D

I've just applied for one of the New Builder slots at next year's Bespoked show, which is going to be held at the Olympic Velodrome. A bit scary.

And I've launched a simple site to document what I'm up to, plus the obligatory Twitter account @muninbikeworks

Edited by MikeP at 17:35:34 15-10-2013

• Psychotext 15 Oct 2013 18:17:00 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How much for the one with a doughnut for a wheel?
  • MikeP 15 Oct 2013 18:18:36 2,075 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    £1975.00 with the doughnut
    £1974.31 without

• Psychotext 15 Oct 2013 18:28:56 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll give it some thought.
  • MikeP 16 Oct 2013 10:10:19 2,075 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Those were CX bikes weren't they? I don't recall seeing any full on road bikes on the day.

Also, funnily enough that vid showed none of the truly horrible sections. They made it seem almost friendly. :D
    There was one guy I came across who'd broken his Cross bike the week before, and was riding it on a Ribble Gran Fondo road bike with 25mm tyres. I think he might've struggled a bit, but fair play to him for trying!

• basmans_grob 16 Oct 2013 12:57:58 414 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:

London Dynamo - ride mainly in Richmond park, some brutal club runs.
    Kingston Wheelers - I think they're a bit friendlier with a range of levels, ride out into Surrey.
    Willesden CC - don't know anyone there so can't comment.
    Findsbury Park CC - start out in Potters Bar, nowhere near the park
    hackney CC - London Fields based I think.

You might have travel a few more miles to get to the club that suits, in which case:
    Dulwich paragon - huge club, catering for everyone.
    London Phoenix - reasonable size, mainly North London but spread all over London, race orientated but have several rides of different speed.

British Cycling website has a club search so see what you find.
    Thanks for that, I was eyeing up Willesden initially simply because of location. I live between southall and Ealing but work in Uxbridge so their clubs and base are only 25 mins away from me.

I hadn't seen the London Dynamo before. I think I might give each of them a couple of weeks to feel for them. Mind you it might take me a couple of weeks to get used to my first drops!
  • pistol 16 Oct 2013 15:04:22 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    basmans_grob wrote:
    Much like clubs of all sorts it really depends on the club. Some are bigger and a little more corporate such as London Dynamo's etc, then you have the likes of Kingston Wheelers who ride out of Egham. I would suggest riding with a few without commiting to get a feel for whether they're suitable. The bigger ones can often have a wider range of rider abilities. Some prefer the social weekend riding and others like to race, or do both. Im my experience the smaller the club the less variety.

I've ridden with a few clubs but due to family commitments, kid's clubs etc I can never commit to riding at a certain time, so that's why I don't join them. I'm lucky that I've built up a good little network of riders I can go out with though. Club's tend to like riding at the same time every week and that's not me. I'll often go out training at 6am or so, especially in the summer.

They are great for social aspect though, and don't forget if you plan of riding sportives quickly in the future, the group riding practice you get if riding in a club is very useful.

Have a look on the British cycling website to see what's available in your area. (sorry, just seen this has already been advised).

Edited by pistol at 15:05:32 16-10-2013
  • Megapocalypse 16 Oct 2013 15:07:30 5,515 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm looking at getting out for a try with the Kingston Wheelers at some point soon. Seem to be the largest / best organised near me.
  • pistol 16 Oct 2013 15:16:47 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    I'm looking at getting out for a try with the Kingston Wheelers at some point soon. Seem to be the largest / best organised near me.
    Nice club from what I've seen and I've come across them on loads of sportives, both in the UK and France. Also bump into both Wheelers and London Dynamo's when training around Surrey Hills.
  • elstoof 16 Oct 2013 16:13:43 8,312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A well organised club should have a members forum on their website, which works well for organising rides outside of the standard club run. I'm in the same boat as pistol regarding times, I like to be out earlier than the standard 8:30 rides so I can see my family for at least some of the day - luckily my club have a 7am ride, but if I'm not in the mood for the 34kmh+ average speed of that ride then I'll be out on my own generally.
  • Psychotext 16 Oct 2013 17:15:37 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Action shot bitches, KAPOW!

Edited by Psychotext at 17:17:13 16-10-2013
  • Page

of 375 First / Last