Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2378

• Page

of 2766 First / Last

• Gruff 9 Nov 2013 09:53:14 2,868 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I grew up with 2000 AD, the portrayal of Dredd got most people reaching for their rose coloured bifocals.

I don't rate many films near 9/10 this one included, unless they stay with me for weeks and give me real pause for thought.

I think we were just grateful somebody cherished a much beloved character, and banished the memory of Stallones effort.

Hope they revisit Mega City

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Stranded87 9 Nov 2013 09:59:31 890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Catfish

Brilliant. Can't say anything else about it without spoiling things. Highly recommended.

8.5/10
    I don't really get Catfish. If it wasn't fake it would be a mildly intriguing but not particularly special or surprising documentary. As it is faked I see no point to it whatsoever. Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway...

The Lifeguard

Saw this on US Netflix and was pleasantly surprised, particularly given that it's sitting on a 5.5 on IMDB. I think a lot of people object to the fact that it deals with statutory rape and doesn't really condemn it, plus it seemed to be marketed as a comedy which it really isn't, but it's an enjoyable little film about a pre-midlife crisis.

7.5/10
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2013 10:12:36 12,119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Gravity - 9/10

First of all, I can't emphasise enough that this has to be seen on IMAX in 3D. It's nothing short of breathtaking. I've seen a few films in 3D (including Avatar) and none of them have remotely convinced me of its worth as something that adds to the film-watching experience. But, Gravity has done it. It's the film the industry has been waiting for, IMHO.

The only thing I would say as a cautionary note is that it should maybe be missed if you have bad vertigo (although only bad, bad vertigo). I'm not a fan of heights myself, and there were definitely a couple of moments that gave me that unpleasant tingly feeling in the hands.

It's an incredibly visceral, terrifying experience. It's not a horror film per se, but it brings out a similar reaction in the viewer. You'll be tense and feel sick with dread for large portions of the film (this is a good thing, by the way).

The visuals are some of the best I've seen in a film. It's constantly incredible to look at. The detail is astonishing, it's consistently great work from Cuaron and the rest of the team behind this.

Bullock is mainly impressive despite a couple of Shia La Bouef-esque "NONONONONONONONO" moments. I fully expect her to be nominated for all the big awards, and probably win some too. Clooney is Clooney (I like him, so it wasn't a problem).

The first reason I've taken a point off is that there are a couple of cheesy lines which aren't in keeping with the rest of the film, particularly in the final third or so. The other reason is that the characterisation is a little bit weak and actually kinda superfluous, particularly with Bullock's character. Her being a loner with a dead daughter felt a bit clichéd to an extent. Also: Once Clooney was out the film it occasionally did that annoying thing in films where people voice thoughts they would otherwise keep in their head. I understand why they did it, but I don't really need to hear Bullock say "I hate space". It didn't feel right.

Bonus point for there being no aliens.
    I've been waiting for a review like this ever since I heard about Gravity. Thanks for this.

I'm a bit worried though, because of the 3D aspect though - I do suffer from 'average' vertigo and am seriously thinking about whether to watch it normally or on 3d. As a comparison, you know the bit in 2010 where they're moonwalking to the discovery? And they're having to look at the centre of the ship otherwise they get dizzy and stuff because it's spinning? Well that makes me feel a bit sick. Can watch it, but feel sick a bit. So, if that's anything to go by?....

Dammit! I love space films too ffs!

Edited by quadfather at 10:13:18 09-11-2013

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• imamazed 9 Nov 2013 11:10:40 5,569 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man the fuck up
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2013 11:12:13 12,119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll end up weeing myself in the cinema

• Gambit1977 9 Nov 2013 11:47:54 9,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    moron wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Underrated?
    Well, it is in the Top 10 Underrated Movies list
    Steve zissou was shit. So not under rated.
    The fountain was Marmite 50/50
    In Bruges is loved, not under rated.

What a shit list that is.
  • Gambit1977 9 Nov 2013 11:48:09 9,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Bremenacht 9 Nov 2013 13:03:35 18,190 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    -fix-
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Nov 2013 13:11:48 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I've been waiting for a review like this ever since I heard about Gravity. Thanks for this.

I'm a bit worried though, because of the 3D aspect though - I do suffer from 'average' vertigo and am seriously thinking about whether to watch it normally or on 3d. As a comparison, you know the bit in 2010 where they're moonwalking to the discovery? And they're having to look at the centre of the ship otherwise they get dizzy and stuff because it's spinning? Well that makes me feel a bit sick. Can watch it, but feel sick a bit. So, if that's anything to go by?....

I absolutely detest 3D as it gives me a headache, hurts my eyes and makes for a generally uncomfortable viewing experience but Gravity is the only film so far that I would say needs to be experienced in 3D. Granted, I haven't watched the 2D version to compare but it seems to have been designed with 3D in mind and there are so many wonderful moments of 3D that I think you'll miss out if you don't see the 3D version. If you find yourself struggling you can always wave your hand infront of your glasses to ruin the 3D for a while.

I hope you don't have someone talking during one of the quiet talky bits pointing out how agreeable the glasses were in a very loud voice. He was roundly sooshed so I hope he realises his shitness.

You are a factory of sadness.

• lordofdeadside 9 Nov 2013 13:12:56 1,114 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, it's been a week of opposites.

Le Week-end

Really enjoyed this funny, bittersweet tale of an ageing couple struggling to reconcile their relationship on a weekend break in paris. Jim Broadbent and an insightful script make this something unique. Worth seeking out.

9/10

Iron Man 3

Well, it was decent enough I guess. Very silly, but you can't really criticise a superhero movie for that. The dialogue seemed a little stilted and forced and the mandarin thing was a bit bizarre. Really picked up in the last battle, saving it a little I think. Leagues ahead of the second movie but not quite up to the first I think.

6/10
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2013 13:16:48 12,119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep - I'm just going to give it a go I think. Sounds too good to miss out on

• Tom_Servo 9 Nov 2013 13:18:33 17,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The glasses we had were ridiculous. I'm assuming it was because it was IMAX, but they were HUUUUUUUGE. And they weren't particularly comfortable either, and began to pinch at the ears after a while.

Yeah you might struggle with Gravity in 3D, quadfather. Most of it is fine, it's really just a few moments when the camera is very close-up and people are spinning around in space.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Nov 2013 13:21:41 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, the glasses at the Curzon were pretty uncomfortable, especially for a speccy like me but it's a fairly short film so it was okay. I can't imagine watching the Hobbit in 3D, I think I'd go blind.

As I say, just look away or divert your attention if you're feeling nauseated.

• quadfather 9 Nov 2013 13:28:46 12,119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, true, can always look away I suppose.

Although saying that, just watched the trailer on youtube, and even that that made my legs feel funny

• CharlieStCloud 9 Nov 2013 14:32:12 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Steve Zissou was shit.
    Pass us some of the coke you are snorting please.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Nov 2013 14:54:54 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Another thing I forgot to mention about Gravity is the soundtrack which I enjoyed a lot. Lots of interesting music, sequencers and weird sound choices which I am a big fan of. Reminds me of stuff I was doing with my own synthesisers a couple of years back :-)

• Mr_Sleep 9 Nov 2013 15:00:08 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just listening to Kermode's review of Gravity and even he says it should be seen in 3D. Says it all really. His review, so far, is spot on for me.

• quadfather 9 Nov 2013 15:07:09 12,119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Youre not helping you know

• BinaryBob101 9 Nov 2013 15:15:24 22,896 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, Gravity - 9/10

Just an absolutely awesome assault on the senses and echoing a lot of what's been said, see it in 3D on the biggest screen you can, because I'm just not sure how well it'll hold up on blu-ray on the smaller screen in 2D.

A buttock clenching thrill ride.

Also, and heavy spoilers here, did she really live?

The Grumpy Vaper

• quadfather 9 Nov 2013 16:34:55 12,119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Argh stop it stop it stop it!

• Derblington 9 Nov 2013 18:15:08 21,594 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bob - pretty sure it was that straight forward.

Very good film.
  • RichieTenenbaum 9 Nov 2013 19:43:31 2,207 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Wolverine

Really impressed with this. Felt like a proper movie. With real actors and locations, not just CGI tripe.

Lot of swearing, though, for a 12. Lot of gore,too. Can't believe they got away with about 5 shits and two fucks.

Edited by RichieTenenbaum at 20:05:10 09-11-2013
  • nickthegun 9 Nov 2013 19:48:47 59,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bluray rip out already?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Rhaegyr 9 Nov 2013 20:01:25 1,675 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A Bittersweet Life

Another Korean film - after watching Memories of Murder (and being suitably impressed) I bought a few of the better rated titles of Korean cinema on the cheap, this being one.

I'm glad I did - although at first it seems to be the standard revenge thriller, it ends up being so much more than that - a classy noir-like film where the protagonist isn't some bullet dodging, invincible kung-fu master (though he's quite handy), but a loyal enforcer who's finally been pushed to the brink.

The film touches on themes of innocence, loyalty, loneliness and the search for answers without being overbearing or hammy in its' pursuit.

It's quite a straight-forward film and doesn't really feature any 'WOW' moments, yet I was consistently entertained and the acting was great, especially the lead.

My only issues would be it felt a little rushed at the end (despite running for two hours) and one of the main characters the film wants you to root for (the girl) came off unlikeable in my eyes.

Definitely recommended to any noir/thriller fan.

8/10
  • Deleted user 9 November 2013 21:11:22
    quadfather wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Gravity - 9/10

First of all, I can't emphasise enough that this has to be seen on IMAX in 3D. It's nothing short of breathtaking. I've seen a few films in 3D (including Avatar) and none of them have remotely convinced me of its worth as something that adds to the film-watching experience. But, Gravity has done it. It's the film the industry has been waiting for, IMHO.

The only thing I would say as a cautionary note is that it should maybe be missed if you have bad vertigo (although only bad, bad vertigo). I'm not a fan of heights myself, and there were definitely a couple of moments that gave me that unpleasant tingly feeling in the hands.

It's an incredibly visceral, terrifying experience. It's not a horror film per se, but it brings out a similar reaction in the viewer. You'll be tense and feel sick with dread for large portions of the film (this is a good thing, by the way).

The visuals are some of the best I've seen in a film. It's constantly incredible to look at. The detail is astonishing, it's consistently great work from Cuaron and the rest of the team behind this.

Bullock is mainly impressive despite a couple of Shia La Bouef-esque "NONONONONONONONO" moments. I fully expect her to be nominated for all the big awards, and probably win some too. Clooney is Clooney (I like him, so it wasn't a problem).

The first reason I've taken a point off is that there are a couple of cheesy lines which aren't in keeping with the rest of the film, particularly in the final third or so. The other reason is that the characterisation is a little bit weak and actually kinda superfluous, particularly with Bullock's character. Her being a loner with a dead daughter felt a bit clichéd to an extent. Also: Once Clooney was out the film it occasionally did that annoying thing in films where people voice thoughts they would otherwise keep in their head. I understand why they did it, but I don't really need to hear Bullock say "I hate space". It didn't feel right.

Bonus point for there being no aliens.

Have no idea why, but the only game to have this effect on me was Half Life 2. There's section what requires the player climb walk ect on the metal sections of a bridge. It looks a bit foggy, and below, a long way below is water. It worked so well. The feeling of height has never felt so real compared to any other game i've played. I was literally inching my across the structure in fear of falling. Heh.
  • RedSparrows 9 Nov 2013 21:14:08 22,585 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am currently watching Avatar.

It's beautiful, and so rubbish.
  • imamazed 9 Nov 2013 21:29:56 5,569 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gravity

Not convinced about the 3D, despite everyone saying this was the film to be seen in 3D. Still, it was stunningly shot and compelling. I think some of the praise for Bullock is a little overboard though tbh; she's fine but nothing more. In fact, it was one of the reasons I didn't totally engage with the film. I understand why it's been getting so much praise, but it left me a little cold, if anything.

7/10
  • Deleted user 9 November 2013 21:39:17
    nickthegun wrote:
    Bluray rip out already?
    2 Guns too. I'm planning an evening in a Chinese cinema tonight.
  • Page

of 2766 First / Last