Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2224

• Page

of 2800 First / Last

• Tomo 12 May 2013 10:36:09 13,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Star Trek Into Darkness - 4/10

Agree with a lot of Jmek's points.

I'm not a Trekkie, but did enjoy the first of the new films. This had its moments but was generally a mess. Spock and Kirk were great but the other characters were useless. The new scientist bird was totally shoe-horned in basically for one cringe-worthy, let's-satisfy-the-FHM-readers scene.

The action was never spectacular enough to lift the rest of the film for me. Cumberbum was a great bad guy but the finale was such an anti-climax. A particular race of people which make an appearance in the film were completely wasted too.

There were a million plot holes too, and while generally I try not to let them spoil a film (see Prometheus which was awesome), the plot holes in this were too much of a stretch of the imagination.

Happy to go see a 3rd, but they need to do much better.
  • MiniAmin 12 May 2013 11:00:35 3,428 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pitch Perfect - 7.5

I never thought I'd watch a film like this, let alone enjoy it.
  • king26 12 May 2013 11:13:53 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    End pf Watch
    Up there with Training Day. A really well made gritty cop drama that's hard not to like.
    85%
  • DUFFMAN5 12 May 2013 11:28:27 14,952 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    king26 wrote
    End of Watch

Up there with Training Day. A really well made gritty cop drama that's hard not to like.
    85%
    This is good to hear. Training Day is a brilliant film.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 11:29:54 12-05-2013

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Trowel 12 May 2013 11:37:46 17,901 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To Die For 6/10 (Nicole Kidman 10/10)
  • TechnoHippy 12 May 2013 11:51:57 14,719 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One Hour Photo

An excellent film that manages to be both creepy and sad. Williams does a very good job in this.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• muttler 12 May 2013 13:13:00 4,131 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Smiley Face

The free weekend film from xboxlive this weekend. A female Cheech & Chong basically, that is quite funny for the most part, about the antics of a pothead girl in LA. Great soundtrack, and although most of the jokes have been done before, iirc I don't think the main character has been a girl before and it is a modern film so it's always interesting to see what the next generations take on the herb culture is.

7/10
  • jagg3r 12 May 2013 13:15:15 1,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    king26 wrote
    End of Watch

85%
    This is good to hear. Training Day is a brilliant film.
    Probably one of the best films of 2012, 9/10
  • kalel 12 May 2013 13:23:19 88,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it was pretty rubbish.
  • disusedgenius 12 May 2013 13:35:14 5,394 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really liked it, in that 'exceptional performances in an okay film' way.
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 13:36:26
    L0cky wrote:
    espibara wrote:
    Man of Steel 9/10

Small rant: Must confess my enjoyment of this was marred by some stupid woman sat next to me making notes on her ipad throughout the film.
    You could have told her to leave it at home :p
    She was an exec,† plus seeing as i shouldn't really be there i aint complaining
  • TechnoHippy 12 May 2013 13:46:05 14,719 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jacob's Ladder

For me this is one of the best films ever made. It really captures the confusion and madness. It is also one of the three films I think kids should be made to watch before they grow up :-)

10/10

• Khanivor 12 May 2013 14:40:11 40,936 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While tripping.
  • TechnoHippy 12 May 2013 14:48:32 14,719 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have seen it while tripping, an interesting experience.

Edited by TechnoHippy at 14:48:46 12-05-2013

• Blotto 12 May 2013 15:32:16 2,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    L0cky wrote:
    espibara wrote:
    Man of Steel 9/10

Small rant: Must confess my enjoyment of this was marred by some stupid woman sat next to me making notes on her ipad throughout the film.
    You could have told her to leave it at home :p
    She was an exec,† plus seeing as i shouldn't really be there i aint complaining
    What exactly does your wife do espibara, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 16:00:18
    Box office analyst/financial projection advisor.

Basicly looks at films budgets/marketing cost and gauges with other people how much money a film may make, based on buzz, time of release competition, is it any good, preview audience reaction etc.

this is fed back to stock market and senior business advisors and the studio.

Which means sneak peeks at most releases.
  • BinaryBob101 12 May 2013 16:01:39 23,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Somebody is getting very close to stalking your wife.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Blotto 12 May 2013 16:02:18 2,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds pretty awesome. Just a student here wondering what the hell I'm going to do when I finish uni.

Also; stalking your wife.

Edited by Blotto at 16:03:10 12-05-2013
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 16:14:48
    For Example Into Darkness £££££ expectations are now being downgraded, due to exit poll grade scoring and the good hold of Iron Man 3 and the buzz surrounding Man of Steel.
  • LionheartDJH 12 May 2013 19:51:02 19,490 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rise of the Footsoldier - 4/10

Some cockney geezer meets some other cockney geezers and they do some cockney geezer things like beat people up, transport drugs and say fuck and cunt a lot. The main cockney geezer takes a backseat towards the end, not that it really matters given, like the rest of the characters, he suffers from a chronic lack of redeeming qualities.

Not really that entertaining, aside from the Pat character who is a Vinnie Jones type nutter. The rest is just a bit meh.

She dives for cheese pasties

• lordofthedunce 12 May 2013 20:16:27 377 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Jacob's Ladder

For me this is one of the best films ever made. It really captures the confusion and madness. It is also one of the three films I think kids should be made to watch before they grow up :-)

10/10
    Yeah, great film. I love the house party dancefloor scene. Great James Brown tune
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 21:28:52
    Miss Bala (2011) 9/10

The acting is natural, not super polish Hollywood OTT stuff. On the face of it, the story appears quite basic - Laura (Stephanie Sigman) dreams of becoming a beauty queen, and ends up in the hands of a gang of Mexican drug smugglers, from here on it, nothing is predictable. Shockingly, unbelievably it is based on a true story.

By chance I happened to stumble across Miss Bala in Poundland of all places. Normally their choice of DVDís is pretty dire. Covered in ***** from the likes of Time Out, Metro, Daily Telegraph, it seemed worth the £1 price, and the risk was more than worth it.

Here's the DVD cover I have, although there's seems many more..

Edited by blacksea at 07:33:40 13-05-2013
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 May 2013 21:56:42 5,500 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goats - 5/10
    Jesus Henry Christ - 4/10

Ooo, a couple of quirky indies, I thought. Ooo, decent casts and plots dealing with searching for father figures, and kids finding their way in the world. Ooo, both of them were as dull as dishwater, disappointing as hell.

Goats salvages the extra point for a stoner botanist Duchovny, the Goat Man himself. That's about the only redeeming part of either.

Waiting - 7/10

Decent ensemble comedy based in a chain restaurant, with DH4 hacker kid, Reynolds, Faris, Guzman and others. Little bit lightweight, but entertaining, and a head-nodding acknowledgement for anyone who's worked in the trade.
  • Gunzberg 12 May 2013 22:14:15 1,741 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Broken City

7/10

Worth a watch. Always enjoy Russel Crowe.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• sirtacos 13 May 2013 01:43:27 7,316 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rise of the Guardians

The basic idea is clever - Easter bunny, Santa, tooth fairy and Sandman are all part of a Super Friends-type group. That is only one of two things I like.

This movie obviously wasn't aimed at me, but that's barely an excuse in a world where Pixar exists. I can't fault it visually - it's very pretty.
    I can fault it for being soporific as fuck.
    It's not funny, it's not exciting, it's charmless, Jude Law's voice sucks, the villain is boring, and the whole thing feels paint-by-numbers. Not engaging at all.
    Turned it off after 30-40 minutes.

On the positive side, there don't seem to be any musical scenes.

4/10?

Edited by sirtacos at 01:46:48 13-05-2013
  • speedofthepuma 13 May 2013 02:07:59 13,302 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really liked rise of the guardians. So did my children. It's an animated kids action film. Seems to polarise people more than I would have expected.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Mola_Ram 13 May 2013 02:35:05 7,653 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The thread is "rate the last film you watched", not "rate the last film you turned off after 30 minutes".

I know that people around are annoyed with idiots at cinemas, and as such don't go all that often, but at least there you're encouraged to actually stick around and watch the film through to the end. At home I find there are far more distractions.

Anyway, I haven't seen Rise of the Guardians, but I don't watch many animated films these days.
  • captainrentboy 13 May 2013 07:55:48 1,020 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Paperboy -† 30%
    The one where Nicole Kidman takes a whizz on Zac Effron. (Not as wild a scene as some reviews made out)
    The film was a chore to get through, everyone was a tad cunty in it, it looked like shite and the story wasn't particularly great. Can't fault the acting from the main cast, especially as most of them were playing roles that you wouldn't normally associate them with. Other than that, it was crappy.
  • glaeken 13 May 2013 09:38:23 11,220 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Prometheus - 5/10 - Bit of a nothing of a film really. It was perfectly watchable but there was just nothing of merit about it. It was just totally generic. The aliens motivation was somewhat blurry and Stringer Bell's decision to suicide based on very little seemed somewhat implausible. Oh and while I am at it what was the stuff about 3% carbon dioxide in the atmosphere being fatal to humans? Pretty sure that is not true and they actually meant carbon monoxide. it seems odd that no-one involved in the production would spot that.

Edited by glaeken at 09:51:28 13-05-2013
  • sirtacos 13 May 2013 09:47:09 7,316 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was probably unduly harsh on Rise of the Guardians. I know it's hardly fair to score something I haven't seen through to the end. I just wanted to share how spectacularly bored I was by the first 40 min.
  • Page

of 2800 First / Last