Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2205

• Page

of 2704 First / Last

• Blaketown 24 Apr 2013 11:25:22 4,636 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ahhh! The have/of malapropism is eveywhere I look today. It's driving me up the wall.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Megapocalypse 24 Apr 2013 11:34:21 5,309 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Did I miss something or did they totally forget about the Found Footage aspect of it half way through too?

By the time the shootout starts there is absolutely no attempt made to pretend somebody just happens to be filming something for some film studies course. There's just straight up a camera man in the room.
    I noticed that. It seemed to be less 'found footage' and more 'shaky cam' as the film went on. Still a great film though. Made me feel very fortunate to work in London.
  • SweetMrGibs 24 Apr 2013 12:44:25 19 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Resident Evil: ReTURDbution...

How the director ever plucked the brilliant 'Event Horizon' out of his arse is beyond me. This film is like the Red Bull-fuelled dreams of a teenager who simultaneously discovered World of Leather and ate a gun made of cheese.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2013 18:03:27
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Aren't you the simple chap who mistook a documentary for a film?
    From what I could gather, it, The Imposter, was a documentary with a cast of actors, hence it felt like a film, and it wasn't until I Googled more info I discovered it was based on fact not fiction, as the documentary film came across like a possible hoax, as I had seen a similar hoax film in the past.
    Catfish, by any chance?
    I have seen Catfish, but that wasn’t the film I was thinking of. The film I’m thinking of, which I cannot remember the title of right now, was a hoax documentary. It told an interesting, almost convincing story. Two key moments which made me wonder included a scene that mentioned film being made from egg white, and another scene that digitally enhanced some text on an old photograph from blurred to being 100% in focus. All the same, it was entertaining stuff.
  • Deckard1 24 Apr 2013 18:06:03 27,124 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SOUNDS LIKE COCKTAIL
  • beastmaster 24 Apr 2013 18:48:27 11,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Off to a preview screening of Iron Man 3 tonight . Getting excited...

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• beastmaster 24 Apr 2013 23:56:54 11,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iron Man 3 (3D) - 9.5/10

The best superhero film since The Dark Knight and it's just as good. Writer/director Shane Black and Robert Downey Jr. blast this one out of the park.

If you've been looking forward to seeing this I don't think you'll be in any way disappointed whatsoever. There are plenty of doubters about Shane Black being involved as writer/director. He tries to be too clever for his own good, he's tries too hard with the funnies and he can't quit hack it as a top notch director.

Whatever you think about him he's accomplished many things with this film but there are two highlights which really stand out.

1. Robert Downey Jr.'s performance.

As good as Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. Despite what you think of the Iron Man films overall, his performance as Tony Stark was always brilliant. He's really comfortable in the role now and has a lot of fun in this one. The sarcastic personality and the huge ego are all there but there's a lot more to it.

In an audience Q&A a young kid asked him what it felt like to play a hero to which he replied "I take it as seriously as Shakespeare". There are moments of heavy drama and subtlety and Downey makes it looks effortless.

2. The script.

Yes it has Black's trademarks in there but his style suits Iron Man. It does deliver some belly laughs and everything you'd expect from a great film of this kind. However, what he's done though is also made this the most unpredictable superhero film I've ever seen. This is also what takes it to another level for me. All of the characters are developed much further and get ample screen time.

This is a summer blockbuster though and it there are certain expectations. The action sequences are spectacular, it's very funny, lots of explosions and Gwyneth Paltrow is smoking hot!

Anything wrong with it? The 3D isn't used that much and it's okay. Just watch in it 2D on the biggest screen you can find. It doesn't take away the fact that this is one of the best summer blockbusters to come out in years. Man of Steel and the new Star Trek are going to have to be exceptional to match this. In other words, just as good.

Also, even though the end credits seem to go on forever, it's really worth staying to see the final clip.

Edited by beastmaster at 00:02:26 25-04-2013

• Bremenacht 25 Apr 2013 00:09:17 17,600 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No way.

There's no way it's that good. What did you give Iron Man 2?
  • Deleted user 25 April 2013 00:11:13
    White House Down 3/10

Ok its the Roland Emmerich white house invasion film with the meat head Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx.

Let s put it this way its the PG13 version of Olympus has Fallen with naff CGI helicopters and gun play where people get shot but no one bleeds.

I thought Olympus has Fallen was pretty dam good, griity and brutal whereas this is the less gritty teenage version with added CGI.

Fucking avoid at all costs and save your money............. or go watch Olympus has Fallen.
  • Deleted user 25 April 2013 00:22:42
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Really is a terrific film. I already said loads about it before. so yeah

10/10

The Amazing Spiderman

Actually quite surprised by this. A pretty decent hollywood blockbuster. I understand all the whats the point of it, and it didn't really need a reboot, but it works. Andrew garfield is pretty good as PP (even though i thought he was too handsome at first to play him in a weird way), and it felt quite in line with the comic books. It was fun and not as serious as the pre release trailers made it out. The comic book violence (that avengers did so well) was equally as good here and made it alot of fun.

Of course there were a few contrivances along the way that always stick out like a sore thumb, uncle bens death early on, and the almost total disregard of it afterwards being the obivious GAH moment. And the CGI was fucking awful (Was watching in SD though)

Peter and Gwen Relationship (Sigh emma stone, you going to make someone a really happy bloke) was good.

In a few years i think when it been out on dvd for a while and people can pick it up willy nilly, it be seen as yeah that almost as good as the 2002 version.

Think they would mash together quite well, that done some things better, this done some things better.

Not really needed, but yeah i kind of enjoyed it.

7/10
  • beastmaster 25 Apr 2013 00:23:41 11,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't remember for Iron Man 2. Probably be about a 5 Now. Up till Monaco it was really enjoyable. After that it got a bit dull. Didn't think that much of Whiplash. Had it's moments but I dont really remember any of the action sequences. Got to admit, I did like Black Widow and glad she got introduced into the Marvel films in it.

It's the script that does it for IM3. In your words there are a few scenes where I went "No way!" In a good way. Off to bed now.

Edited by beastmaster at 00:25:34 25-04-2013

• Toonster 25 Apr 2013 01:27:22 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Will be going to see a preview screening of Monsters University this Friday (two months before its American release!). Will give you my impressions if it isn't overbooked...

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Nades 25 Apr 2013 01:36:39 1,032 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just watched The Shawshank Redemption. Was amazing, easily a 9/10

Liverpool FC

• khaz 25 Apr 2013 03:16:17 2,705 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    There are plenty of doubters about Shane Black being involved as writer/director.
    These people and me need to have words.
  • ascue 25 Apr 2013 08:50:04 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Margin Call: 7/10

Kevin Spacey is rather orange in this, isn't he?!
  • Buztafen 25 Apr 2013 09:05:08 16,063 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Iron Man 3 (3D) - 9.5/10

Cheers for this beastmaster, it had been knocked down to my 3rd most anticipated summer blockbuster by Man of Steel and Star Trek but you've bumped it back up the list again. Cannot wait!
  • S.J.Rogers 25 Apr 2013 09:16:21 3,557 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Beastmaster...

Thanks for the review...

I too was a little unsure of this, as i loved the first one but as you said, 2 went down hill fast about half way through.

Really want to see this now..! Also i feel a little gay towards RDJ.
  • Lotos8ter 25 Apr 2013 09:59:12 2,352 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Beastmaster - yeah, cheers for the review. Going to try and catch this today.

Fiat Lux

• graysonavich 25 Apr 2013 10:01:40 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Definitely this months film of the year.
  • glaeken 25 Apr 2013 10:04:03 11,091 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kill list - 6/10 - Really not sure about this one. It's rather good initially and seems to be building towards something but the conclusion just does not work for me. There is just not quite enough information to come up with a cohesive explanation for it all for me. Is Maskills character an antichrist figure of some sort? Is it just some mad cult that for some reason is focussed on Maskill and if so why did they pick him? I will say the atmosphere the film builds is great and it does make you think about it afterwards. The acting is also great from all the main characters.

Edited by glaeken at 10:04:57 25-04-2013
  • Dirtbox 25 Apr 2013 10:04:24 77,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Until next week.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• beastmaster 25 Apr 2013 10:38:45 11,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be fair though I thought both Evil Dead & Iron Man 3 were stonking films. Holy Motors is well worth checking out too.

Star Trek, Fast & Furious 6 are next months big hitters. Looking forward to Mud as we as it's had great reviews.

Try and avoid films like The Three Stooges as much as possible. Just checked the Odeon website and they're already selling tickets for Fast & Furious. Not in any great rush to see it though.

Edited by beastmaster at 10:39:09 25-04-2013

• kalel 25 Apr 2013 10:42:01 86,328 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks Paul Ross.
  • nickthegun 25 Apr 2013 10:47:13 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fast and Furious 6 is a big hitter?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• imamazed 25 Apr 2013 10:51:56 5,520 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Fast and Furious 6 is a big hitter?
    think he missed out an "s" lololol
  • nickthegun 25 Apr 2013 10:52:54 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :D

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 25 April 2013 10:56:00
    beastmaster wrote:
    Can't remember for Iron Man 2. Probably be about a 5 Now. Up till Monaco it was really enjoyable. After that it got a bit dull. Didn't think that much of Whiplash. Had it's moments but I dont really remember any of the action sequences. Got to admit, I did like Black Widow and glad she got introduced into the Marvel films in it.

It's the script that does it for IM3. In your words there are a few scenes where I went "No way!" In a good way. Off to bed now.
    Nope. 8.

beastmaster wrote:
    I really enjoyed it. On a par with the first film.

I think it just took it's time (are films allowed to do that now?) and it wasn't boring. In some ways, it's a origins film again. Setting up relationships between characters ready for the next film (or Avengers?).

Sam Rockwell? His character is meant to be a wuss. As for Scarlett Johansson as Black Window. She's hot and can kick ass. However, from reading the stories by Richard K. Morgan I would expect her to be a lot meaner. Emily Blunt would have been more convincing.

There's only so much you can do with the film. It could have been a lot darker but they decided not to go that way too much. Rightly so imho.

But the film was mostly Tony Stark and RDJ has totally nailed the character. One thing I really did like way they did pissed Tony Stark in Iron Man suit.

Gets a very good 8/10 from me. Roll on Thor.

BTW, there seems to be a couple of scenes in the trailers that don't make the final cut. No doubt show up on the BR.

• beastmaster 25 Apr 2013 11:01:22 11,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was then. This is now.

Just see it and make up your own minds.

• Deleted user 25 April 2013 11:03:17
    So Iron Man 3 is really a 6 once the giddy over excitement of it being new is gone.

Cool.
  • monkman76 25 Apr 2013 11:31:22 3,948 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Give the guy a break FFS, what's he done to offend you?
  • Page

of 2704 First / Last