• Page

of 2774 First / Last

• Scurrminator 10 Feb 2013 22:53:58 8,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flight
    9/10
    Brilliantly acted albeit predictable.
    The plane scenes are fantastic; very tense!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Bremenacht 10 Feb 2013 23:03:26 18,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Infernal Affairs is much better. And it's ending is much better than the Departed which, being Yankee, had to have some positive spin to it all.
    Dunno. I really like Di Caprio and (predictably) Nicholson in The Departed. All the performances were unrestrained really, in contrast to the measured IA (fat guy excepted). They're different enough to be able to go to the same party without any embarrassment.
  • sirtacos 11 Feb 2013 01:28:51 7,287 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Hunter

Willem Dafoe is a mercenary sent into Tasmania by a mysterious biotech firm. His job is to hunt down the last Tasmanian Tiger, a species long thought extinct.

The film is strongest when it focuses on Dafoe alone in the wilderness. Dafoe is charismatic and the Tasmanian wilds are portrayed beautifully.

Unfortunately there's a plot about Dafoe befriending a local family or something, but the human drama feels contrived and superfluous. Also the ending is shit.

6.5/10

Edited by sirtacos at 06:30:49 11-02-2013
  • wayneh 11 Feb 2013 06:12:10 2,354 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Django Unchained - 8/10

A little indulgent, but despite being a bit too long I didn't actually find myself not enjoying it for any great period so I can't say I minded it. It's certainly an interesting one though, a really odd mix of violence for pleasure and violence for displeasure. I could see me giving it a better score on a second viewing.
    Agree with all of this, fantastic film and only the second by Tarantino I've enjoyed from beginning to end.

9/10

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• Madder-Max 11 Feb 2013 08:51:33 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hellboy 2 golden army - 4/10

Fucking hell picture box february freeview have selected some shit movies to try and sell the service.

I quite liked the first hellboy but his character gets buried in the sequel trying to be like MIB.

Real shame. I turned off after 1hr 20 mins so gave it a fair shot.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• GuiltySpark 11 Feb 2013 08:53:52 6,403 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hellboy 2 was so, so bad. I can remember watching it and thinking, what the utter fuck are these characters doing? I don't remember the specifics but the fish (Abraham? I dunno) dude's motives were dodgy at best.

Get bent.

• beastmaster 11 Feb 2013 08:56:51 11,452 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Madison County (Netflix US)

A group of teens go off to Madison County to interview a writer about his book on a local serial killer and things go horribly wrong.

Just your typical terrible, low budget slasher flick that tries to find some way to distinguish itself from the usual godawful horror films that nobody wants or cares about. In some ways it does this by casting uncanny Josh Hartnett and Yvonne Strahovski lookalikes in the lead roles.

This was the unrated version so I was at least expecting some kind of good, gory, horrific kills. There's none of that either. It's obviously been set up for a sequel with 'Big Pig Head' as some kind of superhuman bogeyman. I hope this never gets made.

I watched it because I was hoping for something like the original Wrong Turn, which is in a totally different class from this kind of film.

Watch the trailer to see the lookalikes if you can be arsed.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• GuiltySpark 11 Feb 2013 08:58:33 6,403 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder if the horror genre will ever actually be good again.

Get bent.

• Madder-Max 11 Feb 2013 09:07:03 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Star trek wrath of khan - 9/10

Seriously good. Probably the best star trek film and even better in hd.

Star trek search for spock - 8/10

Takes a bit of effort to accept how they brought spock back into the franchise but good film still.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• beastmaster 11 Feb 2013 09:11:08 11,452 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Strangely enough, it looks as though the horror remakes could be where it's at this year. The Evil Dead, Carrie and Susperia could be great. Evil Dead especially.

• LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 09:13:17 44,428 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Remakes don't work with horror. Familiarity robs a horror film of its power to shock.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• beastmaster 11 Feb 2013 09:18:39 11,452 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In case anyone's interested.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/2013-bafta-winners

Argo wins best picture and director.

• kalel 11 Feb 2013 09:23:43 87,933 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Remakes don't work with horror. Familiarity robs a horror film of its power to shock.
    Mmmm, not sure about that. Body Snatchers. The Thing, The Fly etc.

Depends on the type of remake it is really.

BTW, horror is far from dead, you just need to watch the right ones. In recent years we've had Let the Right One in, Rec, The Orphanage, The Cabin in the Woods, The Descent etc. Plenty of seriously good stuff.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 09:27:57 44,428 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Body horror is a bit different, in that you can retell the story but in a newly gruesome fashion. Something like Halloween or the like doesn't stand up as a remake (doubly so after what Rob Zombie did to it).

.Rec and The Descent are superb examples though, I agree. Cabin in the Woods ... not so much. Great film, but Whedon can't resist the snappy dialogue and that robs it of the scary. Also Bradley Whitford being awesome.

Edit: Haven't seen The Orphanage, it seems to polarise opinion. Worth it?

Edited by LeoliansBro at 09:28:51 11-02-2013

• GuiltySpark 11 Feb 2013 09:30:03 6,403 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Mmmm, not sure about that. Body Snatchers. The Thing, The Fly etc.

Depends on the type of remake it is really.

BTW, horror is far from dead, you just need to watch the right ones. In recent years we've had Let the Right One in, Rec, The Orphanage, The Cabin in the Woods, The Descent etc. Plenty of seriously good stuff.
    I've seen them all (apart from The Orphanage), I thought they were all fairly standard apart from The Cabin in the Woods, which had nothing of what I wanted from a horror film, but was still excellent.

I watched The Woman in Black a few weeks ago, it has to be the worst film I've seen in quite a while.

Get bent.

• kalel 11 Feb 2013 09:31:42 87,933 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's nothing standard about Let the Right One In. It's exceptionally original and incredibly well made. It's one of the best films of the last ten years full stop, let alone horror films.
  • kalel 11 Feb 2013 09:32:22 87,933 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

I like The Orphanage a lot. Definitely worth seeing if just to have a view on it, if you know what I mean.
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Feb 2013 09:45:06 3,320 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only just got around to seeing Looper.

I wanted to see it in the cinema, but the mrs wasnt fussed, so as soon as it came out on Blu Ray i was all over it.

Very impressed - Solid acting all round (Willis, Blunt and that kid actor all brought their 'A' game) and some solid action. I really liked the way time-travel was handled and the director is clearly one to watch.

The only negative was that i was sometimes distracted by Gordon-Levitt doing his Bruce impression ("Nice to see you, to see you...!" ).

Too many times i saw him doing the squinty-eyes and having that little side-smirk on his face, he was much better when he forgot about trying to impersonate Bruce and just concentrated on the script.

Overall though an excellent film. Oh, and i now love Emily Blunt.

9/10

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 09:45:43 11-02-2013

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• GuiltySpark 11 Feb 2013 09:50:41 6,403 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There's nothing standard about Let the Right One In. It's exceptionally original and incredibly well made. It's one of the best films of the last ten years full stop, let alone horror films.
    I can't say it left that much of an impression on me to be honest, I guess I'll watch it again at some point. It was miles better than the pointless Let Me In, that's for sure.

Get bent.

• LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 10:05:29 44,428 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved Let the Right One In. This is almost a perverse thing to say though: I didn't see it as horror.

• Deckard1 11 Feb 2013 10:08:06 28,267 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't really consider it a horror either. It's more a love story. Or a fairy tale. Or a coming of age film. It's one of my favourite films whatever it is.
  • Deckard1 11 Feb 2013 10:09:16 28,267 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh and I watched Paranormal Activity 4 last night. 5/10.
  • captainrentboy 11 Feb 2013 10:10:07 1,003 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I can't say it left that much of an impression on me to be honest, I guess I'll watch it again at some point. It was miles better than the pointless Let Me In, that's for sure.
    The problem on my first and only viewing was that I'd read so many reviews stating the same sort of thing, it was never going to live up to the insane praise.
    And whilst I thought it was nicely shot and had some great individual scenes, to be honest, I found it largely dull :/
    Ohh and baaad CG cat attack.
  • kalel 11 Feb 2013 10:10:58 87,933 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Most of the best films don't neatly fall into a genre category, as if they did they would be "generic" and therefore not particularly original or special.

I'd say it is certainly a horror film, but it's one that really challenges and stretches what the genre is usually about, and that's one of the reasons it's so good.

Also one of my favourite films, and certainly my favourite in the last ten years or so.
  • Dougs 11 Feb 2013 10:11:47 68,063 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I loved Let the Right One In. This is almost a perverse thing to say though: I didn't see it as horror.
    Absolutely. Wonderful film.
  • MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 10:12:52 23,701 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Edit: Haven't seen The Orphanage, it seems to polarise opinion. Worth it?
    Personally I found The Orphanage a bit boring. Didn't tweak my scare dials at all. I'm trying to think of the last movie that really did do the business... it's been a few years. Descent, possibly, just. .Rec was good, but didn't actually scare me. I like Pontypool quite a bit, it had some fresh ideas.

There's lots of 'good', but not much 'I must turn on the hall light' out there for hardened horror vets, unfortunately. Amnesia did a better job on me than any horror movie of the last decade. I'd like something to come along and fix that.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 10:13:23 44,428 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Pontypool was dire, sorry :(

• Deckard1 11 Feb 2013 10:16:47 28,267 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pontypool was OK to begin with, but it badly shit itself in the final third.
  • MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 10:17:28 23,701 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bits of Pontypool were poor, but I really liked premise =)

Horror is like comedy though - massively subjective. Take Let The Right One In, I found that a bit of a snoozfest. Arty for sure, but I don't want arty. If there's arty in a horror flick, that's fine, but it has to be scary and LTROI is not scary to me at all.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• GuiltySpark 11 Feb 2013 10:17:34 6,403 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Most of the best films don't neatly fall into a genre category, as if they did they would be "generic" and therefore not particularly original or special.

I'd say it is certainly a horror film, but it's one that really challenges and stretches what the genre is usually about, and that's one of the reasons it's so good.

Also one of my favourite films, and certainly my favourite in the last ten years or so.
    I guess with the supernatural love story, it kind of falls into the same category as TWILIGHT.

Get bent.

• Page

of 2774 First / Last