Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2097

• Page

of 2712 First / Last

• StarchildHypocrethes 3 Feb 2013 14:51:43 25,430 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Empire of the Sun

I can't believe I've not watched this before. It's an excellent film. Interesting story, well filmed. Bale does a great job.

9/10
    I love that film.
  • secombe 3 Feb 2013 19:40:37 1,328 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moonrise Kingdom

Wonderful in every possible way, great cast, beautifully shot, funny/sweet/quirky/surreal/real.

9.5/10
  • captainrentboy 3 Feb 2013 20:49:42 965 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bullet To The Head- 60%ish
    Enjoyed it about as much as Arnie's flick last week. Stallone was good in it, his partner was most certainly not. Infact it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that Stallone's massive arm veins had more screen presence than his Asian buddy.
    Jason Momoa was great as the bad guy, he's a gigantic intimidating bastard that should really be in more movies.

Edited by captainrentboy at 20:50:13 03-02-2013
  • Derblington 3 Feb 2013 20:52:50 21,346 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Warrior - 1,000,000%
    It's probably my favourite film now (that I can continually rewatch).
  • Deleted user 3 February 2013 21:09:09
    Just finished watching Lawless. 80%. Would’ve been 85% if they weren’t mumbling the entire time. Me and my girlfriend were just like ‘what did he say?’
  • Tiiti 3 Feb 2013 22:41:01 497 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The last week films

The Collector - 8/10 (go in to this without watching or reading anything about it)

The Collection - 5/10

Skyfall - 8/10

Argo - 8/10

Father. Husband. Gamer.
    X360 | XBO | WiiU | iPad4 | iPhone 5
    PC: i7 2600k, GTX 580 Lightning (sli), SSD

• Deleted user 3 February 2013 22:41:52
    Been checking out the Shameless collection. I’ve had the films for a while, and only now over the past week bothered the sit though 01 - 12. They’re from the 1970’s / 1980’s and tend to be constructed from various sources to build up the most complete version of each film available. Picture quality varies quite abit, and its not uncommon for the film to switch from English dubbed to Italian for example. To be honest , most of the films are hardwork, most of them have brief moments of interest.

01 - New York Ripper
    Pretty dire. The psychopath makes a quack quack noise like a duck ?

02 - Phantom of Death
    Michael York is pretty good.

03 - Killer Nun
    I really can’t remember much about this one..

04 - Torso
    This film wasn’t bad. Sure it felt dated. The best film of the 12 listed here.

05 - Venus In Furs
    Odd story. Stars someone called Laura Antonelli, who likes to get naked a lot.

06 - The Black Cat
    Tiresome. I was expecting more from this.

07 - Flavia The Heretic
    Good picture quality. Lousy special effects. Dull story.

08 - Manhattan Baby
    Total rubbish. Not worth anyone’s time

09 - Night Train Murders
    Quite a gruesome film.

10 - The Frightened Woman
    I liked all the ill fitting music. The story is silly, and the ending sillier. It does feature a car that can drive in water, like a boat, that was cool.

11 - My Dear Killer
    Police inspector investigates murders. Its slow going. The effects are poor.

12 - The Ratman / Ratman / Rat-Man
    Ratman is the result of mixing a Rat with a Monkey, to get a 2.5 foot high greenish rat like creature. The story is boring, and the picture quality lousy. The film’s redeeming quality is Eva Grimaldi who gets her boobs out, which was about the only thing that stopped me from slipping into a coma.

13 - 23 to go, and Shameless have released more films since..
  • repairmanjack 3 Feb 2013 23:17:26 5,987 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dredd. 7/10

Bearing in mind I saw The Raid first (and that's a far more spectacular film), this probably was never going to be quite as good as I hoped. I like it - and think Urban was great in the role - but the city and too many visual references ground it in the modern day, which means that the comic book references that I really love seem more incongruous than the setting that they really should be. Sure, done on a budget, and I'd like to see this as the start of a franchise... but I just wanted it to be perfect. And it isn't.

Looper. 9/10

Sci-Fi done right. Willis is looking his age, but bringing all the things I love him for; JGL is always fantastic - and his mannerisms, etc, do a far better job of selling him as the younger version of Willis than the slightly dodgy prosthetics. Emily Blunt is typically gorgeous and the story was excellent. Even my sci-fi hating better half really enjoyed it.
  • Lukus 3 Feb 2013 23:58:22 19,006 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Les Miserables

Fuck me it's long. I thought it would never end.

I went in with no knowledge of the musical other than the Susanne Boyle song. As such, I only found about two or three of the songs particularly memorable. Clearly I'm not the main target audience, but for that reason it was definitely lacking.

Russel Crowe really can't sing. Huge Jack Man isn't much better, doing a sort of weird talky version of singing, where you're never quite sure if he's in tune or not (especially when you're unfamiliar with the tunes). Everyone else is good, Anne Hathaway especially, but that might just be cos I fancy her.

Lot of people around me were blubbing. I didn't though, because I am a big powerful man.

Regardless of the above, it certainly looks the part, I was very impressed by the attention to detail in all the sets and costumes and so on.

All in all, ok but definitely flawed, with the disclaimer that it's clearly not aimed at me. I preferred Sweeny Todd.

6/10

Paintings & Photographs

• Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 00:03:41 7,002 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Why would you see it if you didn't know the musical? Significant other?
  • Lukus 4 Feb 2013 00:23:47 19,006 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it looked good. Why not?

Paintings & Photographs

• Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 00:27:44 7,002 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fair enough. But yeah, I think the main target audience is people who already know the songs.
  • Gambit1977 4 Feb 2013 05:08:25 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I seem to remember Torso being ok.

Silver Linings Playbook
    Sublime. Beautiful film making in every way. And topped off with Jennifer Lawrence. My first solid 10/10

The Thieves
    Korean movie about a Korean/chinese/Japanese gang of thieves. Big blockbuster for Korea and it shows. Camp, sexy, genuinely funny and some superb direction. There's a car crash in it that looks brilliant simply by viewpoint.

The cast carry it very well and it zips along at some pace. Great wire work too.

I can't imagine anyone watching this without a huge grin on their face. 8.5/10
  • evild_edd 4 Feb 2013 08:08:18 3,018 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Fair enough. But yeah, I think the main target audience is people who already know the songs.
    Actually, I thought that the closer camera angles and dramatic scale were supposed to have the opposite effect - appealing to people who don't normally like musicals. The people who know and love the play will see it whatever, the challenge for film musicals is to drag in the wider performance.

I actually quite like musicals on stage (only seen about half a dozen; not seen Les Mis') but I really struggle with them on screen. I don't really want to see people singing in each other's faces when they're stood two metres away from each other - it just looks ridiculous. It's the wrong medium. On stage they can get away with it as there's a wider sense of performance, and the singers' banging out their tunes night after night can be quite impressive. On screen, robbed of the live element, it's just a bunch of actors doing multiple takes until they get it right.

Just don't see the point of musicals on screen. They're pointless and there's never been a single one that's not been rendered entirely pointless by its on-stage equivalent.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• evild_edd 4 Feb 2013 08:11:16 3,018 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tyrannosaur

A bloody hard watch, with little in the way of hope or optimism. But that's hardly the point.

It achieves what it set out to achieve with sheer brilliance, carried by the strength of the leading performances. There is literally nothing to fault with this film (assuming you're aware it's not the next Jurassic Park). Staggeringly excellent.

10/10

Edited by evild_edd at 08:11:39 04-02-2013

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deckard1 4 Feb 2013 08:30:08 27,265 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Silver Linings Playbook

Didn't really know what to expect from this, but it it really is very good. Bradley Cooper is great, Jennifer Lawrence is great, and its the best Al Pacino has been in years. All gets a bit schmaltzy and predictable towards the end, but gosh darn it if it didn't made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Also Jennifer Lawrence has now replaced Natalie Portman at the top of my list of woman who are so fit that they make me want to cry.

9/10

Edited by Deckard1 at 08:30:55 04-02-2013
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 08:34:53 86,422 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it some sort of joke the Al Pacino comment? I don't get it.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 08:39:16 7,002 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pfft, de niro, pacino, they're all the same.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 08:41:12 86,422 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did wonder if that was the joke. If so Jimmy Carr did it much better.
  • Deckard1 4 Feb 2013 08:45:11 27,265 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha, that was a genuine mistake.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Feb 2013 08:47:28 14,438 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lukejones wrote:
    Just finished watching Lawless. 80%. Would’ve been 85% if they weren’t mumbling the entire time. Me and my girlfriend were just like ‘what did he say?’
    :)
    Same here. Just like True Grit. I think I will start to have subtitles on all films. Back to Lawless, excellent. Tom Hardy is great in anything , would have loved more Gary Oldman, setting was great. Shit lebouf was even good, actually I do like him in most things
    90%

Gone
    Good taunt thriller let down by the ending somewhat
    70%

Schindler's List
    Not watched yet (recorded last night), but seen before, very powerful, upsetting and lifting.
    100%

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deckard1 4 Feb 2013 08:48:49 27,265 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be fair though, since watching it all I can think about is Jennifer Lawrences arse in those pants at the end. I can see it when I close my eyes.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 08:53:21 86,422 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the most clever thing about Schindler's List is how it swerves being either massively gruesome or overly sentimental, both of which are incredibly easy traps to fall into given the subject matter.

As its heart it's just a really engrossing story, but even when it's being all "Holocausty" it doesn't become self-indulgent or lecturing Speilberg really did handle that one with an enormous amount of care. Every second of it has been highly considered.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 08:53:53 7,002 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wasn't Lawless the one written by Nick Cave? Who also wrote The Proposition (and plays a bit of music on the side)

Might have to put it on my list.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 08:58:39 86,422 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looper

Very good indeed, if slightly derivative of a few other films. I thought Bruce Wills was good in it, but having him in it made me compare it to 12 Monkeys even more that I would have done already, and that somehow made it less good, if that makes any sense. 3rd Rock guy was good again. Still not quite good enough for me to stop thinking of him as 3rd Rock guy, but I'm getting there. Emily Blunt was good but too hot. I mean, I like seeing hot girls, but sometimes Hollywood does need to actually think whether it makes sense for a part to be played by someone so unbelievably hot. She can be pretty, that's fine, but that was ridiculous for that role.

Anyway, liked a lot overal, and up there with the other recent good sci-fi films.

8/10
  • GuiltySpark 4 Feb 2013 09:21:54 6,325 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really? She looks very girl next door, I thought she was pretty good for the role, to be honest. I wasn't distracted by boobies whatsoever.

Get bent.

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 09:25:00 86,422 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You must live in Hollywood if that's what the girl next door to you looks like.

Let's not forget this isn't even present day girl next door. It's distopian future lives alone on a farm in the middle of nowhere and doesn't get out much because she's presumably self-sufficient girl next door. Oh and she's had a kid too.
  • Gunzberg 4 Feb 2013 09:26:16 1,731 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Life of Pi 8/10

Good adaptation of the book by the Master Ang Lee. Nice warm movie

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• bad09 4 Feb 2013 09:26:48 5,643 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Grey

Premise is sound, execution poor. A film that should be better and more exiting than it is, it comes to something when you are willing something to happen in a film like this.Cast is OK but forgettable especially Neeson for a change.

Tense at times for sure but mostly trying for jumpy scenes and absolutely zero pay off at end either, you get the feeling it will end as it does just as it's happening and all I could do was groan, after the long slog to the end no final battle with the alpha male it just ends. ARGH!

Hard to say worth a watch really, not massively terrible to be fair but I still felt like I wasted time watching it at the end.

50%
  • Page

of 2712 First / Last