Boardgames anyone? Page 84

• Page

of 120 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 13 Aug 2013 08:55:55 43,246 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, Game of Thrones (specifically an expansion). I'm told that vanilla GoT suffers slightly from always playing out the same way, and that this has been addressed by having rotating, secret objectives. And my God but that throws an element of instability into the mix (along with the staples from the original, ie everyone hates Lannister and nobody sees a naval attack coming). Objectives are weighted for each house as well (for example, Baratheon taking the Arbor gets 1 VP, Stark taking it gets 4). Not to say you're not still set up for a standard approach, the new house demonstrates this perfectly. House Arryn, with the strongest stronghold in the game with 6 defence but otherwise land poor and surrounded.

Anyway, excellent game, especially in the Dune-esque combat system. Can't wait to play again.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• tincanrocket 13 Aug 2013 20:01:40 2,905 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Eldritch Horror (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-J2KzQb5lI) looks quite interesting
  • speedofthepuma 16 Aug 2013 12:19:08 13,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Board game delivery today! \o/

Played x2 games of Love Letter, and it is brilliant. Amazingly Ben and I both got to 6 all before we won a game each, he picked it up instantly, and I'm looking forward to roping Becky in for a game.

Unboxed Sherlock Holmes, and Letters from Whitechapel, really looking forward to them, and I think I could let Ben play the latter, if I pretend Jack robbed things, rather than murdered prostitutes..

We have played a few more games of Galaxy Trucker and unfortunately Iv'e quickly gotten expert at it and Ben is still making rubbish Spaceships, but luckily it doesn't feel so competitive, more like both of you against the elements, so there's fun to be had.

I am seriously addicted to this lark, I'm already embarrassed by the scale of my problem.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• spamdangled 16 Aug 2013 13:05:50 27,271 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    Eldritch Horror (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-J2KzQb5lI) looks quite interesting
    Ooooh it does at that!

Haven't played any boardgames in a while now, since my group split after 2 members moved away. Really need to get another group going.

The only concerns I have about Eldritch atm are that a) it looks like it plays just a bit too similarly to Arkham Horror - moving around the board, collecting clues, closing gates etc. And b) It looks to continue FF's habit of re-using art from their other games.

It's priced at $59.95 though at least, so it should come in at around 40-50 here instead of the 60-70 of Mansions of Madness.

Edited by darkmorgado at 13:16:51 16-08-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• andytheadequate 16 Aug 2013 13:17:01 8,082 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Board game delivery today! \o/

Played x2 games of Love Letter, and it is brilliant. Amazingly Ben and I both got to 6 all before we won a game each, he picked it up instantly, and I'm looking forward to roping Becky in for a game.

Unboxed Sherlock Holmes, and Letters from Whitechapel, really looking forward to them, and I think I could let Ben play the latter, if I pretend Jack robbed things, rather than murdered prostitutes..

We have played a few more games of Galaxy Trucker and unfortunately Iv'e quickly gotten expert at it and Ben is still making rubbish Spaceships, but luckily it doesn't feel so competitive, more like both of you against the elements, so there's fun to be had.

I am seriously addicted to this lark, I'm already embarrassed by the scale of my problem.
    Love Letter only gets better with more players, a ridiculously brilliant game, especially when you start learning to bluff
  • spamdangled 16 Aug 2013 13:20:12 27,271 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is Sherlock Holmes the reprint of 22b Baker Street? Had that as a kid and it was great, but has no replay value after you've solved the cases once.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• speedofthepuma 16 Aug 2013 13:45:17 13,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Is Sherlock Holmes the reprint of 22b Baker Street? Had that as a kid and it was great, but has no replay value after you've solved the cases once.
    Not sure, but it certainly looks like it is 10 cases with no replay value, so possibly.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Tomo 16 Aug 2013 15:31:18 13,880 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally won at Pandemic the other night \o/

We had a medic, scientist and I was the Dispatcher. The medic is ludicrously powerful. Despite this, we won it on our final possible turn. The player beforehand turned over the final two cards of the Player Deck. Luckily on our next go the scientist could cure the final disease.

Now to try normal difficulty... /o\
  • cubbymoore 16 Aug 2013 17:07:04 36,468 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    gah SUSD have reviewed Mascarade and I'm *still* waiting for it to arrive!
  • speedofthepuma 16 Aug 2013 22:30:47 13,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't appear to get Masquerade over here :(

• cubbymoore 16 Aug 2013 23:07:51 36,468 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Where is that?

It seems to me (but I know nothing of these matters) that there was a very small first print run, as hardly anywhere has had any stock, really. Which makes my paranoid brain think that some bgg familiar postman has nabbed my copy!
  • speedofthepuma 17 Aug 2013 00:32:54 13,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Australia. Asked my local shop and no dice, then looked online and came up empty. I really fancy it too.

• Tomo 17 Aug 2013 18:57:13 13,880 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I showed my flatmate the SUSD review of Mascarade and he bought it on the spot! Result!

Also, it seems there is a closest board game player amongst my circle of friends as I was informed today one of them has bought 7 Wonders and the Game of Thrones board game in the past week. Seems he just needed to know someone else was on his wavelength. I don't know him too well, but it could be the start of a convenient arrangement!
  • Tomo 17 Aug 2013 18:58:25 13,880 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, and we're playing a long-form game of Archipelago today. It's so much better. Short form is fun, but there isn't enough time for the true extent of the game to unfold. This has been much more interesting.
  • cubbymoore 17 Aug 2013 21:00:49 36,468 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How long does it take to play long form? It really looks exquisite.

I just saw a copy of Tigris & Euphrates at my local shop for retail price. It's out of print and currently 80 online.... I'm afraid I'm going to have to grab it tomorrow, regardless of whether I'll convince anyone else to play it with me.
  • spamdangled 17 Aug 2013 21:28:50 27,271 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is Masquerade that card game thing I've been hearing about recently?

It seems to be getting some iffy reviews, mainly around the quality of the cards, the repeated art, and being pretty unbalanced. Concept sounds interesting though.

• cubbymoore 17 Aug 2013 22:06:30 36,468 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a lot more party game apparently. But that's fine for me (provided it ever bloody arrives), we quite like the light short games to break up the longer ones.

It's also spelt Mascarade, not masquerade, don't ask me why.
  • midnight_walker 17 Aug 2013 22:48:57 1,875 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I found out today that you win Pandemic by finding four cures, not by eradicating every last disease cube from the board. I had been thinking it seemed a bit hard.
  • speedofthepuma 18 Aug 2013 06:33:54 13,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played Letters from Whitechapel a few times now, once with my wife, and its very good indeed, You reall feel hunted as Jack, somehow it felt close each night, although I think I could have been more ruthless perhaps.

Looking forward to more.

• Mola_Ram 18 Aug 2013 07:00:02 6,989 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I bought an amazing card in King of Tokyo the other night. It basically let me forcibly heal other monsters and take their money for it. So I'd basically be healing them, then attacking them for more damage in the same turn, and using their money to buy even better powers.
  • Phattso Moderator 18 Aug 2013 08:52:36 13,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just played a game of SmallWorld using the Realms expansion. It's basically just a "build your own board" style effort, which is a bit of a faff but it's really nice to be playing with a new layout and the option to just build your own if you so desire.

Still a great game, regardless of the board layout. Still get creamed every single time. Bloody Amazons.
  • steve1979 18 Aug 2013 11:56:58 1,988 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Played Space Hulk Death Angels last night. Fantastic game, but I got destroyed before getting anywhere near the end.
  • Tomo 18 Aug 2013 22:05:33 13,880 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @cubbymoore

Well, our long form game took fucking ages. But I think we were unlucky. We finished at 3 am this morning! About 6 hours in total... 0_o

The reason we were unlucky is that two endgame conditions became impossible to reach. One was 6 chapels to end the game, another was 6 markets. The trouble was, everyone else built towns and ports (which are on the reverse of the chapel and markets respectively), so both conditions became impossible. The third condition was 3 resources running out. But with that milestone fucking ages away, we agreed to end straight away.

It should have ended about 2-3 hours previously, basically. For 3 players a longform should take about 3-4 hours I reckon. It was a brilliant game though. We played in two sittings. Better that way than two short games in my view.

Think we'll try a medium form game next. Should be about 90-120 mins.

The game is brilliant though. We've played it about 8 times since we got it a few weeks ago. Not much besides Avalon has had a look in.
  • Basslime 19 Aug 2013 00:16:21 5 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've recently played 'Settlers of Catan' for the first time. It was awesome. Playing it has made me want to find other similar board games. It's simple to pick up so easy to teach new players and start the game quickly. I highly recommend it.

I have also started playing 'Fight for the Galaxy' with a friend a while ago. It's a card game where you build up a set of cards representing your explored/devoloped/settled worlds. It is fun, however you do not have enough options to be able to disrupt other players builds through fighting them or invading their worlds. I have heard that expansion packs for the game introduce PvP elements that could definitely improve it and will offer much more opportunity to disrupt or attack a players build.

Friends have also recommended 'The Village' and 'Game of Thrones' to me.
  • JoeBlade 19 Aug 2013 02:09:02 2,492 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Basslime I've played Seafarers and thought it a bit 'meh' (as do my fellow Catan players) but Cities & Knights is superb as far as I'm concerned. I've yet to play the other ones, let alone the variants.
  • spamdangled 19 Aug 2013 02:10:43 27,271 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Phattso

There's a good digital version available, if you have an iPad.

• Basslime 19 Aug 2013 02:25:40 5 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @JoeBlade Yea I was really interested in that Cities & Nights expansion. Figured that would be fun. Shame about the Seafarers, what made it so 'meh'?

We played with the 6 player expansion the other day, that was fun and the board is so much bigger. Was pretty cool playing 4 player on the 6player map. With 6 players it was funny how long it took everyone to decide where to place their starting settlements and roads. It was a long game. Lol.

Have you played anything else similar to Settlers that you would recommend?
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Aug 2013 02:52:37 13,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @Phattso

There's a good digital version available, if you have an iPad.
    I do, although for some reason the notion of Small World on the go isn't as exciting. Much better to see the face of an opponent when you take the Commando Dwarves they were hoping for. ;)

I have stuff like Ticket to Ride, the (truly awful) Catan, Carcassonne, and an handful of others though.
  • cubbymoore 20 Aug 2013 14:09:07 36,468 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have finally become one of them and backed a Kickstarter.

Had my eye on The Agents ever since I saw the way the two way system of the cards worked, which seems like a brilliant idea to me, (and I can see it spawning several copycats, it's that good) and also noticed that the top tier was plastic cards. I was holding off on backing as I wasn't sure the plastic cards tier would be reached, and that was the thing that would tip it for me.

And then the creator goes and unlocks plastic anyway! Before the amount had been reached! Gah! My money!
  • Phattso Moderator 20 Aug 2013 14:23:23 13,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I backed The Agents near the start of the campaign. Sort of regretting it, though, as the guy running the campaign is a spammy douche who sends at least one update a week with gushing thanks for all the backing he's getting. I'm happy that he's excited, but don't spam my email constantly with inanities!

Looking forward to the game though. :)
  • Page

of 120 First / Last