Boardgames anyone? Page 42

• Page

of 120 First / Last

• Deleted user 18 June 2012 22:19:58
    anyone up for some swapsies? I'm looking for a mint condition copy of dominion or 7 wonders and have wiz-war, memoir 44 or blood bowl: team manager to swap for either
  • EMarkM 23 Jun 2012 20:35:05 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bit of a controversial one this, maybe...

My wife and I love our boardgames. We've got a longstanding D & D game on the go (which we must get back to; not played for ages!) and we really enjoy some of the simpler traditional boardgames like Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, and the Simpsons-themed Monopoly, Game of Life and Operation that we have!

We're looking at investing in Munchkin and maybe Small World after watching Wil W and his mates having such a great time with both games on Table Top.

BUT, one thing neither of us can really enjoy is...heresy coming up...Carcassonne!

I tolerate it more than Mrs. EMarkM, but, when her brother and mother suggest a Carc session during our regular evenings together, a little piece of both of us just dies.

What is the attraction? We have a couple of the expansion packs (Inns & Cathedrals and at least one other) that I thought might add a little spice to the whole thing, but we just can't get into it!

Does anyone have any tips for how the two of us can privately make it more interesting while not affecting the rest of the family's play? It's not really the sort of thing you can roleplay all that effectively...

Also, is there any chance we'd enjoy Settlers of Catan more? I know the games get lumped together because they're both tile-layers, but I'm told that's where the similarities end.

Is Catan OK for two players only? Will Munchkin (advertised for three players and up) really work with the two of us?

Finally, anyone have any suggestions for other two player games that we would enjoy?

Nothing too dry or mathematical. We enjoy our history and fantasy settings, but Mrs. EMarkM gets bogged down with anything too complex or "boring".

Been sifting through BoardGameGeek and Table Top, but would appreciate you guys' advice too :)

Cheers
  • sanctusmortis 24 Jun 2012 18:20:12 9,627 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Catan's far, far better. It's better with 3 or 4 players though.
  • RyanDS 24 Jun 2012 18:29:48 9,065 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Catan is poor with 2 players, you really need 3 or even 4 to get the trading going.

For two players I always recomend Lost Cities and Citadels.

Or else any co-op game can be fun two players, eg Pandemic or Arkham Horror.
  • fillip 24 Jun 2012 18:31:53 890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is Catan even playable with 2?

Lords of Waterdeep, and more recently Agricola All Creatures Big and Small have been the two player favourites of my gf recently. They're both worker placement Euros, so by their very nature some would consider them a bit mathy, but I don't find them so.

Edit: we enjoy 2p Citadels as well.

Edited by fillip at 18:32:45 24-06-2012
  • EMarkM 24 Jun 2012 19:48:23 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Have heard a lot of you talking about Citadels, and a few of the others you have mentioned seem to be quite popular - I'll look into all of them a little deeper.

Happy gaming!
  • Deleted user 24 June 2012 20:43:46
    what about dominion for two players?
  • repairmanjack 24 Jun 2012 21:53:50 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Catan has been turned into a two-player card game version, as well. Which reminds me, I need to get the shrinkwrap off it.

Unwrapped Elder Sign today, still not had time for a game.
  • RichieTenenbaum 24 Jun 2012 23:40:50 2,181 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Played my first Memoir 44 game today.

It was amazing!
  • repairmanjack 25 Jun 2012 12:49:37 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone in the thread had much hands on experience with Power Grid? The German angle could lure the missus in... is it a decet experience with two? Will be looking to play it with my eleven year old daughter from time to time, too.

Damn it, buying these things is almost as addictive as playing them.
  • jakuande 25 Jun 2012 15:24:37 192 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buying board games can get a bit addictive with their large boxes, cards to unwrap, wooden and cardboard counters to punch out of boards and organise and, if you're really lucky, plastic parts to take off sprues and slot together. It's like a mini Christmas every time you buy one.

Anyway, me and my wife have played quite a few boardgames together (usually just the two of us) and the ones we keep going back to are Dominion and Agricola. They're mentioned alot because they're good.
  • 1Dgaf 25 Jun 2012 15:36:15 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I warned you, repairman. It's like being a kid discovering videogames again. Genres you don't know, titles you've not heard of, mechanics to discover.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• repairmanjack 25 Jun 2012 16:04:05 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I warned you, repairman. It's like being a kid discovering videogames again. Genres you don't know, titles you've not heard of, mechanics to discover.
    :D

A kid with a larger wallet, thankfully.
  • McGeeza 25 Jun 2012 23:53:03 928 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Has anyone in the thread had much hands on experience with Power Grid? The German angle could lure the missus in... is it a decet experience with two? Will be looking to play it with my eleven year old daughter from time to time, too.

Damn it, buying these things is almost as addictive as playing them.
    Power Grid is a great game, but it can run long and is pretty mathy. The resource market is a lovely mechanic (if everyone buys a coal plant then coal will become scarce and the price will go up, but the other resorces will become cheaper if no-one is buying them).

I've only played 4 player though so can't help on the 2 player question, but you can buy extra boards that are more suitable for 2-3 players.
  • repairmanjack 26 Jun 2012 02:37:15 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers! Just looked again and found it's gone up in price! Gah! Prices seem to fluctuate a lot on amazon. Most of the stuff I bought last week is now ten quid dearer.

Should probably stop buying and start playing more.
  • repairmanjack 26 Jun 2012 23:56:26 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I need a game which develops my time management skills... unwrapped Elder Sign, tapped the punchboards, lay out everything and started working through the rules. Yeah, it's too late to start a game now, really.

Lovely quality and detail on everything in the box. Think it's the stabilisers version of Arkham Horror. So I'll be leaving that on the shelf for a tad longer.

The missus has been peering at the pieces and keen to have a go... Cemented by the fact that I stopped talking her through Lovecraft's mythos and went with: "Basically, you're a ghostbuster."

Job done then. :)

Also really pleased that a few local pals have suddenly confessed a nerd-love for boardgames. Should get a few nights in soon.
  • Deleted user 27 June 2012 10:03:11
    does anyone play dominion on ipad? add me on gamecenter (dwh0wi3, without googleproofing.)

can't wait for the official version to launch - hopefully it has expansions

talking of which... how do people transport their dominion (+ expansions) when taking it to games nights without messing it up?
  • whatfruit 27 Jun 2012 10:11:31 1,291 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pirates Cove from Days of wonder is my favourite christmas boardgame it really simple to play and is capped at nine turns so stops fatigue setting in. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2987/pirates-cove

Chaos in The Old World is an awesome strategy game from FFG sort of like risk but with the dark gods of the warhammer world with each player having different win conditions(Killing, moral corruption,Physical corruption,supreme magical power).

Heroquest, Advanced Hero quest and Warhammer quest are the definative dugeon bash games series for me although I am very excited about Descent 2nd edition coming out this July.

Dorn is a brilliant Euro(no dice) RPG lite game that I have been playing alot of recently. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26983/dorn
  • AccidentProne 27 Jun 2012 10:21:36 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I'm looking forward to the new edition of Descent. Played the current version whilst away on holiday in Greece recently (awesome place with a massive selection of games), but it took us about 10 hours to get through the first campaign. We all enjoyed it, but it just took too long. I knew we'd not play all that often thanks to time constraints, so it didn't seem like a good investment. From what I've read, the new version runs a bit quicker and has more natural breaks.
  • AccidentProne 27 Jun 2012 10:34:47 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, if anyone's ever looking for a boardgame related Greek holiday Massive selection of games, lovely location and the folks that run it are awesome. We're definitely going back next year.

Think my mate summed it up pretty well in his blog.

Edited by AccidentProne at 10:36:00 27-06-2012
  • fillip 27 Jun 2012 17:24:17 890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    does anyone play dominion on ipad? add me on gamecenter (dwh0wi3, without googleproofing.)
    I play on my iPhone; I assume it's all cross compatible. But I can't for the life of me work out your non-google proof name!
  • Deleted user 27 June 2012 21:26:24
    o for 0, e for 3?
  • Deleted user 1 July 2012 00:18:11
    have memoir 44, blood bowl: team manager, and wiz war... looking for dominions: prosperity, intrigue, or seaside in exchange. any takers? : )

had an epic w/end of gaming. played 5 or 6 games of dominion, a game of catan and a couple of games of dixit. the last was pretty tough, playing only with three. doesn't scale well

dominion is like crack. need fun expansions
  • repairmanjack 3 Jul 2012 00:20:34 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man, it's really a mistake to walk into your local store and just browse, isn't it? Anyway. Picked up a copy of Power Grid off the shelf. Within ten seconds another customer had told me how awesome it was. Sales staff didn't need to to any work. (Although we already have a pact: they take the prices off and never say the price out loud in case my girlfriend is lurking close by.) Game looks fantastic, although I'm worried I'll have to re-do my GCSE maths to understand it all.

Played my first full solo of Elder Signs earlier. Like it a lot, but all the rules made me feel a little thick for the first few rounds. Need to work up to more complex fare.

Unboxing Dominion and filing the cards was almost as much fun as playing any 360 game this year (can't quite figure out why); trying to get the missus to play it this week. Daughter visited and we blasted out half a dozen games of Monopoly Draw, too. Love it.

Obviously, I don't need any more games for six months (may grab TTR: Europe for Xmas), but I'm feeling a real pull toward the rather cheap Cold War: CIA vs KGB. Anyone tried it? I figure that's my stepping stone to Twilight Struggle.
  • fillip 3 Jul 2012 06:53:15 890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shut Up and Sit Down review Cold War: CIA vs KGB in S2E2, not so favourably.

Save your money for Twilight Struggle I reckon...and then let me know if it's any good.
  • RyanDS 3 Jul 2012 12:11:47 9,065 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Holy moly!

Just bought an iPad and thought I would glance at the board games available on it. Forbidden Island... 2.99? (I just bought for 15 in the shops.) Catan... 2.99 (I paid 30?) Jesus those are cheap. Serioously will consider not buying physical games in future if the difference is that much.

Carcassonne - 6.99 on the other hand is more like it. That is what I was expecting and keeps me playing physical games.
  • Onny 3 Jul 2012 12:28:32 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IIRC part of the reason carc is more expensive is the inclusion of a (rather excellent) asynchronous MP mode. Catan and Forbidden Island are local MP only.
  • Onny 3 Jul 2012 12:33:00 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, just an update on something I posted ages ago - finally got round to playing A Few Acres Of Snow with my dad. It's brilliant! Fairly daunting at first, as you have so many options available to you, but after a few games we knew what to aim for and had a lot of fun.

I think it will have quite a long life, too, as the strategic options just seem so vast! Can't wait to play it again :)
  • RyanDS 3 Jul 2012 12:38:49 9,065 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    IIRC part of the reason carc is more expensive is the inclusion of a (rather excellent) asynchronous MP mode. Catan and Forbidden Island are local MP only.
    Cheers. Any other games I should look out for?

Is Elder Sign any good for instance? (Been wanting to pick up physical copy for a while.)
  • repairmanjack 3 Jul 2012 12:54:00 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm really enjoying Elder Signs; only played it solo so far. There's a couple of reviews online (youtube) which might sway you. It also helped explain a couple of things to me. It's very simple once you get a handle on it.

We're gonna need a bigger tabletop.
  • Page

of 120 First / Last