Sky HD - Worth It? Alternatives? Page 41

• Page

of 41 First / Last

Next
  • binky Moderator 17 Jun 2014 16:57:34 9,700 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mm, I'm not trying to burn a witch or anything - I'm just trying to get realistic prices.
    Whilst my Sky sub is expensive it takes in every service. Phone, Broadband, TV. So it's unfair to say it costs XX less when not comparing like for like.

As I say - the only way to get it sub 60 quid seems to be to drop Sky Sports. It even works out cheaper to do that and go for BT Sports HD at 15 a month instead if I'm that desperate to get some kicky ball action.
  • brewer 17 Jun 2014 17:04:06 1,280 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm paying the equivalent of 61.00 a month. Full sky package at half price (31), broadband at 20 and 10 for the line rental including weekend and off peak calls. I paid a full years worth of line rental for a saving of approx. 5 per month.

In a recent survey 6 out of 7 dwarfs said they weren't happy.

• binky Moderator 18 Jun 2014 09:36:56 9,700 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Managed to get my requirements at 49 for the year. Weirdly, due to ditching some things right away, my next bill will be 9. Ha.

(1/2 price) Fibre, (1/2 price) Phone, HD TV, no movies, no sports - 49 for 12 months.

Gutted that I'm losing Sky sports but saving almost 500 a year by not having it.
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Jun 2014 09:42:06 24,823 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I saw a billboard last night that said if you take sky sports they'll give you unlimited broadband for free for 2 years.

Dunno how that would impact your savings plan binky...

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Maturin 18 Jun 2014 09:44:40 3,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    binky wrote:
    @Maturin

Maturin wrote:
    A few months from ditching our main Sky subscription and it's been absolutely fine.

So currently our available channels are from Freesat 1TB PVR, and via the TV/Chromecast Netflix, BT Sport, Amazon Prime, NowTV and Eurosport. Prime comes from my wife's Amazon account, Netflix and Eurosport from me. So from nearly 50 a month with Sky I'm down to 12 a month.
    So how does this work out at 12 a month compared to Sky then? I'm trying to work it out.

Prime Instant Video = 7.99 (or 6 from over the Prime sub over 12 months)
    Netflix = 5.99
    BT Infinity = 23-26 (or 10-16 if not fibre)

So, 25 at the low end of the broadband scale, or 40 at the high end of fibre scale.
    Because if you read what I wrote I spoke about what I was paying. Our phone/broadband is partly paid by my wife's job (we're not in an infinity area). I don't deal with it. My wife has a Prime account, nothing to do with me.

I previously paid the Sky subscription and now I'm paying for Netflix and Eurosport.
  • mrpon 18 Jun 2014 09:47:57 29,179 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair you went from our to I

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• binky Moderator 18 Jun 2014 09:49:50 9,700 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I saw a billboard last night that said if you take sky sports they'll give you unlimited broadband for free for 2 years.

Thanks fella - I saw that too, but it's for standard BB not fibre.
  • binky Moderator 18 Jun 2014 09:50:45 9,700 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    binky wrote:
    @Maturin

Maturin wrote:
    A few months from ditching our main Sky subscription and it's been absolutely fine.

So currently our available channels are from Freesat 1TB PVR, and via the TV/Chromecast Netflix, BT Sport, Amazon Prime, NowTV and Eurosport. Prime comes from my wife's Amazon account, Netflix and Eurosport from me. So from nearly 50 a month with Sky I'm down to 12 a month.
    So how does this work out at 12 a month compared to Sky then? I'm trying to work it out.

Netflix = 5.99

So, 25 at the low end of the broadband scale, or 40 at the high end of fibre scale.
    Because if you read what I wrote I spoke about what I was paying. Our phone/broadband is partly paid by my wife's job (we're not in an infinity area). I don't deal with it. My wife has a Prime account, nothing to do with me.

I previously paid the Sky subscription and now I'm paying for Netflix and Eurosport.
    Fair enough - as a family we work the cost of things like entertainment out together.
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Jun 2014 09:51:21 24,823 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    binky wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

Thanks fella - I saw that too, but it's for standard BB not fibre.
    Ah, ok. Had visions of you on the phone trying to stop it all and set up something else :D

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• binky Moderator 18 Jun 2014 09:53:25 9,700 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :D I could have called them up and, without saying anything else, scream "NNNNOOOOOOOoooooOoooOoooooo"
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Jun 2014 09:54:18 24,823 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now TV is 15 a month too isn't it? I'm quite tempted by it at times, especially with it coming to PS4 this summer. But then Sky Go might be a better option as I can just leech of my parents' sky...

• CosmicFuzz 18 Jun 2014 09:55:20 24,823 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    binky wrote:
    :D I could have called them up and, without saying anything else, scream "NNNNOOOOOOOoooooOoooOoooooo"
    Just in the nick of time as the sky man's finger is hovering over the 'activate binky package' button? I like it!

• Maturin 18 Jun 2014 10:18:33 3,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Maturin wrote:
    binky wrote:
    @Maturin

Maturin wrote:

Netflix = 5.99

Fair enough - as a family we work the cost of things like entertainment out together.
    We didn't get prime for the video - for the quick postage, so we've never factored it in as entertainment. We hardly use it anyway compared to Netflix.
  • Maturin 18 Jun 2014 10:20:48 3,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Now TV is 15 a month too isn't it? I'm quite tempted by it at times, especially with it coming to PS4 this summer. But then Sky Go might be a better option as I can just leech of my parents' sky...
    I think the Entertainment option on NowTV is similarly priced to Netflix. Certainly I've not had to pay anything like 15. Maybe they are putting prices up.
  • estoo 19 Jun 2014 21:02:54 2,834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Guys, help me out here, I think I must be missing something ... it appears to me that Sky are paying ME 27.25 to take a year's subscription!

Right, going through the topcashback site and taking the orignal bundle without broadband on a one year contract...

the one with 120 cashback

6 months at 10.75
    +6 months at 21.50
    +
    25 one off charge for installation

=218.50

-125 mastercard reward
    -120.75 from topcashback

=-27.25

I'm missing something here, I must be!?

Yeah, I know I mentioned how much I hate Sky, but it would be rude to refuse at that price, plus they have us over a barrel anyway since there's no cable at my new address and freeview only gets half the flippin' channels (no Dave, E4 etc) and I would have to pay out to have a freeview aerial installed.
  • estoo 19 Jun 2014 22:44:57 2,834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I knew I shouldn't have posted that during the England game.

Commiserations by the way.

Still, this deal is too good to be true isn't it?
    I'm not an idiot, Sky aren't paying me to take a box and watch TV for a year but I can't see what I'm missing.
  • Dougs 20 Jun 2014 07:00:36 68,369 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's some great cashback. I imagine the trick is getting the cashback out of them. But it looks above board...

Re the NOWTV discussion, originally movies was priced at 15 but they changed that as soon as they realised how uncompetitive it was compared to Netflix. The entertainment package is pretty new and looks great value. Just the sport to sort out and then the cord can be truly cut.
  • TheSaint 23 Jun 2014 13:13:59 14,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone using Sky Go on their consoles?

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/06/sky-go-on-consoles-will-cost-you-an-extra-fiver-from-next-month/
  • Deleted user 23 June 2014 13:24:51
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Now TV is 15 a month too isn't it?
    It's sold in pieces. 5 a month for TV catchup and 8 live channels (going up to 8 per month soon) and current price for movie area is 9 a month. Honestly have no idea what sports is priced at
  • Page

of 41 First / Last

Next