The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 382

• Page

of 385 First / Last

• devil_badger 10 Aug 2017 12:36:23 793 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jealous of you Bloodstockers. I've already done my festival this year, went to Tuska, but we're in the planning stages for Wacken next year which should be good.
  • DrStrangelove 10 Aug 2017 12:41:56 11,191 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    Kreator are amazing live. Enjoy!
    Seconded. I'm no Kreator fan at all actually, I find it difficult to listen to their albums, but I've seen them live once and they were incredible.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Aug 2017 19:53:57 4,706 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cliff Burton's dad donates Cliff's royalty cheques to a high school music scholarship programme. What a guy.

http://www.metalinjection.net/this-is-just-a-tribute/cliff-burtons-dad-donates-his-sons-metallica-royalty-checks-to-a-scholarship-program
  • StixxUK 13 Aug 2017 11:00:04 7,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So yeah Kreator were fucking amazing.

Gojira announced as headliners for next year, which is great. Also Nightwish which is less good imho.
  • devil_badger 13 Aug 2017 12:49:32 793 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All about Nightwish for me. Considering going for the day they're on after seeing them the weekend before at Wacken.

Edited by devil_badger at 12:49:42 13-08-2017
  • FuzzyDucky 13 Aug 2017 15:02:24 2,556 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Never tried to get into Nightwish but always enjoyed the early Lacuna Coil albums - would there be much of a stylistic overlap?
  • devil_badger 13 Aug 2017 15:56:22 793 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I also enjoyed the early LC albums so yeah. I'd say start with dark passion play/imaginaerum as these are the more "poppy" albums in terms of vocals. The most recent one, Endless Forms Most Beautiful, mixes up the early operatic-ish vocals with the more recent style.

But I am a massive Nightwish fanboy.
  • RichDC 13 Aug 2017 16:37:30 7,551 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Best thing to do with Nightwish would be to put Wishmaster, Oceanborn and Century Child on repeat and pretend they don't have any other albums.
  • GoatApocalypse 17 Aug 2017 08:18:20 3,096 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Neurosis - Times of Grace

For all the pomp about the ambient album that plays in parallel, the vanilla version is better.
  • wuntyphyve 17 Aug 2017 08:47:59 9,487 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Been listening to The Lurking Fear's album Out of the Voiceless Grave quite a bit since Friday. Really liking it. Lovecraftian Death Metal.
  • StixxUK 19 Aug 2017 10:53:25 7,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Listening to lots of Bossk after seeing them smash the second stage at Bloodstock to a sadly nowhere-near-big-enough crowd. Surprised they didn't get a better turn out but I guess they're not so much of a Bloodstock band, although they were on at the same time as Arch Enemy, who are shite.

Hadn't seen them for a couple of years but they always destroy. Kind of like Cult of Luna but with an endless supply of crushing, rocking, Sabbath-esque riffs.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Aug 2017 02:25:35 4,706 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Serious potential album of the year contender right here from Bell Witch
    Vast, heavy and bleak

• simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Aug 2017 02:27:05 4,706 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ^ that's just a sample not a stand alone song. The final record is a single 83 minute long piece.
  • RichDC 31 Aug 2017 13:01:35 7,551 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm sure they're not to everyone's tastes but I'm loving the new Akercocke at the moment.
  • Kovacs77 31 Aug 2017 20:49:05 549 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @StixxUK checked Bossk out due to the Cult Of Luna comparison, they're ace, there have been loads of albums out recently by bands I love but I've been listening to Audio Noir more than any of them.

Edited by Kovacs77 at 20:49:21 31-08-2017
  • thelzdking 31 Aug 2017 20:56:59 6,353 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bossk are good. Missed them this time round at Bloodstock due to 'tiredness'. A few weeks ago now, but I reckon Obituary and Wintersun were my bands of the weekend. I'm not the world's biggest Arch Enemy fan, but the few songs I caught were performed well, but I was smashed.

I've never really listened to Ghost before and I can't quite work out how a warmed-over gothy rock band are so massively popular. They're not bad, but they're utterly uninteresting IMO.

Been listening to loads of death metal since. Never listened to Gorguts or Massacre before: schoolboy error.
  • StixxUK 31 Aug 2017 22:22:48 7,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've been getting into Death Metal over the last year or so... Never quite got it before.

One album I can't quite understand the love for is Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel. Sounds basically Slayer but with worse tunes. I feel like I should like them as people are always saying (older) Gojira are massively influenced by them (maybe that's in reference to some different albums though).

All about Death for me. Although I kind of feel like Bloodbath's Eaten is the ultimate death metal song.

Also fucking love Gorguts.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Sep 2017 00:01:10 4,706 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I love Ghost. I think, like Kiss or Alice Cooper, it's as much about buying into the characters and world that the band had created for themselves as it is about 'just' liking the songs.
  • samharper 1 Sep 2017 13:49:51 891 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still feel a bit weird calling current Mastodon metal at all but:

Annoying clap sounds aside I think I like this more than anything off Emperor of Sand except maybe Roots Remain.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Sep 2017 13:56:45 4,706 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Of Mastodon are metal. Although without it sounding like them I do get a bit of an Alice in Chains vibe from this.

Emperor of Sand to me suffers from the Clutch problem. Whenever a new album comes out in isolation it's at least as good as the last one but because they've settled into a very familiar sound as good as the songs are they are just 'some more songs'. Rather than feeling special and like a unique album in its own right. Does that make sense?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Sep 2017 15:43:31 4,706 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Of Mastodon are metal. Although without it sounding like them I do get a bit of an Alice in Chains vibe from this.

Emperor of Sand to me suffers from the Clutch problem. Whenever a new album comes out in isolation it's at least as good as the last one but because they've settled into a very familiar sound as good as the songs are they are just 'some more songs'. Rather than feeling special and like a unique album in its own right. Does that make sense?
  • StixxUK 1 Sep 2017 15:49:26 7,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Feel free to trash my opinion on this... But a new Akercocke song came up in my Spotify release radar today, called Familiar Ghosts. Sounds a lot like classic Mastodon to me!
  • DrStrangelove 1 Sep 2017 16:00:46 11,191 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Double post 2 hours apart...?
  • Duffking 1 Sep 2017 16:04:36 14,854 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I find it weird when stuff like current Mastodon gets debated as to whether it's metal or not. Like it has obviously taken more from rock as time has gone on but I doubt you'd even be having the debate if it was a band's debut album and it didn't have the baggage of the band previously having been heavier.

I thought that song was kind of dull, it's very obviously a demo though. Doesn't really mesh together or go anywhere interesting.

Anyway I thought EoS was far better than their last two.
  • Duffking 1 Sep 2017 16:05:24 14,854 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been listening to this a fair bit lately. Good for fans of Skeletonwitch and riffy death/thrash in general.

https://unspeakableaxerecords.bandcamp.com/album/necromancy-enthroned

Edited by Duffking at 16:05:31 01-09-2017
  • RichDC 12 Sep 2017 08:25:43 7,551 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any Threshold fans? Their new double album Legend of the Shires is brilliant if you like a good dose of prog metal.
  • JonFE 12 Sep 2017 11:34:27 1,755 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @RichDC Threshold fan here. I look forward to the new album (already in transit, I should receive it by the end of the week) and catching them live early November :)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2017 01:03:01 4,706 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    New Wolves in the Throne Room is as majestic as expected

https://www.spin.com/2017/09/wolves-in-the-throne-room-mother-owl-father-ocean-stream/
  • Dr.Haggard 13 Sep 2017 12:17:18 4,601 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Yeah, can't wait. They'll be in the UK in December. I know I'll regret it if I don't see them but the nearest one for me is a couple of hours drive and I don't know if I can be arsed.

Edit: Weigedood in support so that's another big motivator, but they're playing with The Moth Gatherer in the US and I'd give my right arm to see them and WITTR on the same bill :(

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 12:22:30 13-09-2017
  • FuzzyDucky 13 Sep 2017 17:24:54 2,556 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Feel free to trash my opinion on this... But a new Akercocke song came up in my Spotify release radar today, called Familiar Ghosts. Sounds a lot like classic Mastodon to me!
    The new Ackercocke sounds nothing like classic Mastodon... Their new album "Renaissance in Extremis" is a belter, mind.

It takes a few new approaches but is still them.
  • Page

of 385 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.