Mario Kart Wii Page 2

• Page

of 1629 First / Last

• Razz 9 Jul 2007 20:16:26 61,091 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    (come to think of it: Where the hell is F-Zero for the DS?) so I think it will be fine.

OMFG! F-Zero X 2 on the DS qould be awesome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Der_tolle_Emil 9 Jul 2007 20:39:51 7,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really doubt Wiimote waggling will be in MK. Nintendo knows that functionality is better left alone if it cannot be used efficiently. Again I look at the DS where they clearly disregarded the touchscreen if there was no good use for it. I think they will do the same with the upcoming Wii titles as well. If they cannot make good use of the Wiimote than they will disregard it or offer classic pad/cube pad controls, just like with Super Smash Brothers. I also think that the cancellation of Project Hammer is a sign that they don't simply rely on the Wiimote and do know when it just doesn't work.

As I said earlier though the only thing I can imagine is that they put in new gameplay elements to actually have something that the Wiimote can be used for because for classical MK there is nothing more than throwing bananas and green shells. I certainly hope there will be no ramming of other karts or bullshit like that.
  • silentbob 9 Jul 2007 20:45:49 28,958 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    I really doubt Wiimote waggling will be in MK. Nintendo knows that functionality is better left alone if it cannot be used efficiently.
    You obviously never played Zelda: TP.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Der_tolle_Emil 9 Jul 2007 20:47:24 7,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did but with the exception of the sword slashing the Wiimote is put to good use. TP is a bit of an exception of course because they had to do something with their launch titles, same as for the DS launch titles. They can't ignore their own technology but I think that MK launches late enough to not suffer the same fate.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 9 Jul 2007 20:59:35 7,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would it be annoying if I would tell you that the PS3 has the same controller as the PS1 had in its later days and we could now question the point of releasing the PS2 and the PS3?
  • Deleted user 9 July 2007 21:02:42
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    Would it be annoying if I would tell you that the PS3 has the same controller as the PS1 had in its later days and we could now question the point of releasing the PS2 and the PS3?

If the PS3 consisted of nothing but -very slightly better graphics- than the PS2, then it would be accurate.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 9 Jul 2007 21:13:11 7,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So the support of widescreen, progressive scan and online play don't count? I refuse to talk about graphics until I have seen videos of the game.
  • Nabokov 9 Jul 2007 21:15:33 103 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted at 21:16:25 09-07-2007
  • Deleted user 9 July 2007 21:20:32
    For the 567th time:

Nunchuck Control Stick: Steering
    Z button: brake
    C button: Jump
    Nunchuck motion sensor: Shoving opposition

A button: action
    B button: accelerate
    IR aiming: shell aiming
    Motion Sensor: banana throwing
    D-pad: camera control
    - button: pause
  • Der_tolle_Emil 9 Jul 2007 21:26:15 7,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Switch Z and C and I'll be fine.

Rainbow Road was fun. Although just because of the shortcut. The music was also very good. I still enjoyed Rainbow Road in F-Zero X the most :)
  • Deleted user 10 July 2007 08:13:51
    disussedgenius wrote:
    For the 567th time:

Nunchuck Control Stick: Steering
    Z button: brake
    C button: Jump
    Nunchuck motion sensor: Shoving opposition

A button: action
    B button: accelerate
    IR aiming: shell aiming
    Motion Sensor: banana throwing
    D-pad: camera control
    - button: pause

If they don't use the control method Excite truck did there will be zero point in buying it.

Mario Karts been in decline since the SNES version. I predict even crapper battle mode (if they bother to put it in) and ridiculous gimmicks like double dash.

• MoGamer2006 10 Jul 2007 09:32:36 975 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought ET's handling was great and very akin to MK's - frantic power spurts, long drifts, etc...

Am I alone in thinking an ET-style control method for MK-Wii would be a good thing?

Don't all shout at once.
  • pjmaybe 10 Jul 2007 09:34:37 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think there's anything wrong with ET's handling model and control system per se....but I would like the option to play with a pad. I know, oh the irony and all that, but I seriously wish a few more developers would just forget about trying to find new and novel ways to make playing with the Wiimote as fucking difficult as possible, and just resign themselves to the fact that some people want to use a gamepad still...

IMHO SSX Blur would've been a far far better game without all that fuckarsedly busted gesture-based uber shite, and completely useless Nunchuck steering.

Peej

• Nemesis 10 Jul 2007 10:57:51 18,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /quite liked DD

Sorry.

F..king snaking in the DS version makes online pretty much unplayable IMO. Probably because I'm shite at it.

I will say DD looks lovely via component on the Wii.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 10 Jul 2007 11:00:36 7,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For online play to work you need to have something that you can be good at. Otherwise there is no competition at all and nothing but luck involved which kills online gaming pretty fast. So I am very glad that snaking is in the DS version. Makes the racing interesting because it's at least a bit challenging - the tracks certainly aren't (and probably should not be for Mario Kart anyway)
  • shrubby 10 Jul 2007 14:37:18 17 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    What on earth is snaking?
  • magicpanda 10 Jul 2007 14:38:29 13,346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just been watching that gametrailers e3 most anticipated and I managed to screengrab this

(O-o)
  • Razz 10 Jul 2007 14:39:17 61,091 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's Mario Kart Arcade.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Der_tolle_Emil 10 Jul 2007 14:40:54 7,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its powersliding from left to right and back on straights to use the extra boost you gain when doing a perfect powerslide.

Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=203nqmV8OXI

Edit: That screenshot is from the arcade version, as Razz pointed out.

Edited by Der_tolle_Emil at 14:42:05 10-07-2007
  • Evil_Moe 11 Jul 2007 18:46:38 55 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From the revelation that Mario Kart Wii is to use the Steering wheel controller shell, are we to assume that this game will have similar controls to Excite Truck?

Now look, I loved Excite Truck. Wonderful game. I'd even go as far to say that I enjoyed it more than Motrstorm. However, it's control are it's controls. It's going to take a lot to prove to me that:

a) The precision required to weave and jump around MK numerous twists and bends is present with this control scheme;

and;

b) The core elements of what made the SNES original great are present in this new baby, i.e. bring back the coins.

Has any new news other than that snippet been released?
  • Deleted user 11 July 2007 18:48:09
    listen butches,
    say what u want about wii and housewives
    but games like mario kart are the fucking daddy
    and u know it
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 11 Jul 2007 18:49:01 10,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unless I misheard a vital line of Reggie's waffle, I think it will have multiple options for the control method.
  • Evil_Moe 11 Jul 2007 18:49:32 55 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree Mr KILLA! I'm just worried about the control scheme! :D
  • Der_tolle_Emil 11 Jul 2007 18:54:23 7,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, it will have multiple schemes as he said. I still think support for the classic pad will not be too far off.

Anyway, if you look at Excite Truck, the trucks steer like they are constantly drifting. If you take that away I think you can have very fast and precise controls to master the racing style of Mario Kart.

I do have doubts that it will work and at the same time I don't. So far I doubted the controls of games like Excite Truck just to be proven wrong when the game actually got released. I do have the same doubts again but I think Nintendo will get it just right and I am worrying over nothing. Having multiple control schemes is reassuring though that Mario Kart will be very playable, one way or another.
  • Evil_Moe 11 Jul 2007 18:54:37 55 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh thanks. Any footage or captures yet?
  • spazmo 11 Jul 2007 18:56:59 2,764 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The footage shown looked much like *gasp* GC's Double Dash.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 11 Jul 2007 18:57:37 10,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some (admittedly poor) captures here: linky

Looks like the footage were from tracks on the DS game but can't verify that...
  • Evil_Moe 11 Jul 2007 18:57:42 55 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh no... That's terrible. It better not be a sequel to double dash. Please god in heaven say it ain't so.
  • SirScratchalot 11 Jul 2007 18:59:52 7,872 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1 person per kart.
    Anyway, why did some people not get along with DD?
  • Evil_Moe 11 Jul 2007 19:01:20 55 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh pictures! Thank you!
  • Page

of 1629 First / Last