Heavy Rain Page 96

• Page

of 99 First / Last

• Fillem 4 Dec 2010 13:44:20 127 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, I just finished my 1st playthrough of this.
    Wow...just wow.
    For me this is the future of "story"-games.
    I felt really emotionally attached to the characters, felt very, very shitty when one died and it actually really made me feel like fighting for my life. Also the bit where Ethan gets to kill someone to save his son. I pulled the trigger and was actually surprised at my own "Oh shit, I did it!" reaction.

The whole Se7en-esque atmosphere and music was quite brilliant as well.
  • JDub 8 Dec 2010 11:54:38 1,290 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does the standard game update to include Move support? I see there's a large v2 update. Already finished it once with the pad, but would give it another go with Move if poss...
  • M_of_the_sys 8 Dec 2010 11:55:45 1,154 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah just download the update for Move support.
  • JDub 8 Dec 2010 12:48:39 1,290 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also, it the additional content from the move edition on there as well? 1.1 GB seems a lot for just another control method...
  • dsmx 8 Dec 2010 12:51:51 7,620 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As far as I know there's no additional content but the game is basically changing every control for everything in the game. It's not as simply as just changing a few button presses.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Jazzy_Geoff 8 Dec 2010 12:57:14 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    what was was additional competent from the move release?
  • ZuluHero 8 Dec 2010 12:57:29 4,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fillem wrote:
    So, I just finished my 1st playthrough of this.
    Wow...just wow.
    For me this is the future of "story"-games.
    I felt really emotionally attached to the characters, felt very, very shitty when one died and it actually really made me feel like fighting for my life. Also the bit where Ethan gets to kill someone to save his son. I pulled the trigger and was actually surprised at my own "Oh shit, I did it!" reaction.

The whole Se7en-esque atmosphere and music was quite brilliant as well.

Especially when he says he has a daughter too. With a child of my own, it was really too close to home. I really put myself in Ethan's shoes and the game cemented itself in my memory.
  • JDub 8 Dec 2010 14:16:26 1,290 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apparently there was another 45 minutes of content in the Move version.

@dsmx: Sure, I realise it's not just a few buttons and a re-compile, but with libraries, etc, 1.1GB? If the other content is there too, it would make more sense... :)
  • Jazzy_Geoff 8 Dec 2010 14:17:28 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    is it just the DLC or something else?
  • twoism 8 Dec 2010 14:21:25 181 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The extra content in question is actually more behind the scenes footage, not actual gameplay. Would have LOVED them to continue the chronicles DLC though.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 8 Dec 2010 14:22:05 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I see. Good.
  • M_of_the_sys 8 Dec 2010 14:30:06 1,154 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has anyone got impressions on Heavy Rain with Move? Is the game much different with Move? AHas anyone been bothered to go through the game again?
  • Jazzy_Geoff 8 Dec 2010 14:30:51 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've done one minute of it.

It's the same but with move controls, hope that helps.
  • dsmx 8 Dec 2010 14:35:36 7,620 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've answered this before I think but I will answer this question again.

Essentially the game controls better with move, it's no longer a series of abstract button presses to do actions in the game, how you would perform the action in real life is how you perform it with the move controller in the game. It's also easier to move about the game world then it was before but the game still progresses in the same way.

It does feel more involved than before since you actually do feel that your doing the actions in the game rather than you telling someone else to do the actions.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• M_of_the_sys 8 Dec 2010 14:42:53 1,154 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks. I always thought it was interesting as the controls were meant to simulate the difficulties the character goes through and this would be easier with Move.

Haven't been able to bring myself back to the game after completing it which is strange because I really enjoyed it.
  • consignia 8 Dec 2010 14:43:48 1,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How do you Jason in the move version?
  • natashaspice 8 Dec 2010 14:45:38 335 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm glad I got this without reading the reviews or checking out any information about the game. Would have spoiled the experience tremendously and also I hate the ending although I didn't like the little bastard anyway.
  • ZuluHero 8 Dec 2010 14:48:35 4,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    consignia wrote:
    How do you Jason in the move version?

Waggle to Jason. Probably.
  • Deleted user 8 December 2010 14:48:54
    natashaspice wrote:
    I'm glad I got this without reading the reviews or checking out any information about the game. Would have spoiled the experience tremendously and also I hate the ending although I didn't like the little bastard anyway.

Depends what ending you got, I saved the day and goodies won/baddies died.
    Well one good person casuality.

Either way, sounds to me like your ending may have been quite different to the one I got.
  • M_of_the_sys 8 Dec 2010 14:49:19 1,154 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    natashaspice wrote:

You do know there's different endings right?
  • Deleted user 17 December 2010 15:50:25
    Thought id bump this with recent sales data, its done 1.7m so far and is a shoe in to cross the 2m mark now id say. Restored some of my faith in us gamers good to know unique games like this can sell well.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2010 13:37:41
    My first instinct after finishing this game, and especially after enjoying Fahrenheit so much is that it was a massive disappointment. I enjoyed parts of it but I never really felt like anything I was doing was actually making a difference. For example when playing as Norman, I was always sort of in agreement with Lieutenent Blake but the game only ever gave me the choice of being antagonistic towards him, I wanted to at least grudgingly allow him to get on with it. At the end when you suspect that the killer is a cop and you get the choice to accuse Blake, I thought it might be him but that more likely it was another cop or former cop. I was hoping that after I first accused him but then backed down the game would allow Blake and me as Norman to get over our differences and team up to figure it out, but there wasn't any chance of that. OK, the game can't account for every eventuality but I thought this was an obvious route to take. It's possible that this was possible but I had done something earlier that prevented this from happening but the fact that I still wanted to do this makes me think that my choices beforehand shouldn't have prevented this from happening, I've looked at the Heavy Rain wiki and it says if you take the tripto when fighting Mad Jack the chapter ends with his arrest so this might have helped in this respect as I was really disappointed he died because obviously he knew something. This bit of the game also annoyed me because when first given the choice inside ARI to either accuse Blake or continue investigating I thought I'd continue to look for more clues. Once I did this the game then never gave me the option to accuse Blake again so I had to restart the console because I didn't want to give up. Not sure if this was a glitch but it did it again when I tested it. I was also annoyed that throughout the game I managed to not take the tripto but in this scene the game overrode me and Norman took it.

The writing was also pretty woeful, somebody needed to get a handle on Cage, this was barely on par with The Room. I knew from my experience with Fahrenheit that the opportunity of some sort of sexual encounter between Ethan and Madison would occur at some point. So when the inevitable happened and she leaned in for a kiss I resisted the urge to watch and possibly play a part in some crudely animated sex scene by declining to kiss her. I couldn't see why this woman would find this man attractive in any way. I was so happy at the end when they didn't appear to be a couple, but I'm sure this was only one possiblity.

And what is with the voice acting? Some of the accents I can deal with, like the psychiatrist, it's conceivable that a French man would be working in America but the idea that of two twin boys raised in a city on the east coast of America, one boy can have an American accent and the other a French one is just obscene.

I spoiler tagged so much because it's still a good game and wouldn't want to ruin anything for anyone straying in the thread. Like a lot of people I tried to avoid reading anything about the game and I think this helps with the enjoyment of it.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2011 21:58:58
    Just finished and I'm itching to get back in for some more. Would people suggest, a new story or just replay certain chapters?
  • fluff_the_tiger 4 Jan 2011 13:07:25 182 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New story with the move controller. The highway sequence with the move is intense
  • magicpanda 24 Jan 2011 20:32:19 13,370 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shit move controls. Shit shit shit.

I actually had to use my nose at one point just now there were so many buttons to press at once.
  • daft 16 Feb 2011 10:35:48 554 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finsihed this last night. Awesome game with a really engaging story. I liked it a lot. I don't really mind the "plot holes" since it leaves a bit to the viewer/player. Really couldn't stop playing towards the end. Think I got the "best" ending as well.
  • daft 20 Feb 2011 14:28:55 554 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PS_2010 wrote:
    Played and completed Heavy Rain twice back when it was launched. Never managed to get the good ending. Now I have a massive urge to play it from the beginning, which is something I have never done before (played a game more than twice).

Since then and now, I changed my Playstation 3 hardrive for a larger one. As I type this message, Heavy Rain is downloading a massive 42 minutes worth of patch. Iím looking forward to re playing Heavy Rain almost as much as when I first picked the game up. If only they could make more games like this.

Just had a thought. I could also buy the Heavy Rain The Taxidermist :D

Haven't played the Taxidermist, so I might go for that as well. Brilliant game. Lent it out to a friend but I can see myself get back to it later on.
  • HisDudness 25 Feb 2011 22:50:37 989 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok, I don't know what took me so long, but I finally played this game. Went through it in two sittings, and was really impressed with the experience. I thought that I had been spoiled by some troll who spammed the ending on a comments board back during release, and had been putting off playing it every since. Turns out the troll was wrong, and it didn't impact my game at all.

Knowing that your characters can die, coupled with the care that the game takes in getting you to invest emotionally in your characters made for a great game. I definitely recommend it to anyone who found themselves a little interested with the concept - especially now that it's getting the greatest hits/platinum price cut.

For those who have played it through:
    Does the killer's identity change depending on your choices? Sean was saved at the end of my game with only one of the protagonists dying at the very end, but I got the feeling that the killer could have been someone else depending on earlier choices.

• Page

of 99 First / Last