Depression Page 142

• Page

of 143 First / Last

• muttler 16 Jul 2014 17:48:51 4,026 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, you're trying to drag me down to your level, which hasn't worked for the posters above and won't work for you either.
  • Aargh, 16 Jul 2014 17:59:50 291 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You're assuming your mental problem is the same as all other forms of depression and trying to apply your limited knowledge to areas you know nothing about, but more dangerously think you do.

That's fine down the pub with your mates, it's not find on a public forum where people may actually take your advice.

Edited by Aargh, at 18:01:16 16-07-2014

Operating systems complete me

• kalel 16 Jul 2014 18:09:06 87,639 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Around ten people have been trying to explain that for several pages now, but he really only seems to accept that old and disabled people are any different to him, and even they aren't really trying hard enough not to be depressed.
  • geeza2020 16 Jul 2014 18:17:11 1,887 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just tell muttler he wins and he'll probably sling his hook.

Like the petty individual he is.
  • Bremenacht 16 Jul 2014 18:17:28 18,242 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He says he's still got issues, and his posts seem to bear that out.
  • DrStrangelove 17 Jul 2014 01:03:14 3,941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    scuffpuppies wrote:

My Wife has asked me numerous times over the years to see a therapist, but things from my past are repressed for a reason. I have absolutely no desire to revisit my childhood. It's bad enough spending a few hours with my folks over Christmas, let alone taking regular trips down memory lane with a Shrink. (I do realise this is not the healthiest attitude to take).
    I first resisted consulting a therapist too, in fact I rejected my first one even if in hindsight I think it was pretty spot on what he told me.

But therapy doesn't always mean revisiting anything. A good therapist knows that not everything should be treated with the sledgehammer, most of all not repressed memories. Therapy can also mean helping to deal with your present, not just the past.

The real matter I think is finding the right therapist, but there are quite a lot of right therapists around, and you're not forced to stay with a bad therapist once you found out he's bad.

There's lots of ways a therapist can help, and there's a lot of therapists who can help.
  • DrStrangelove 17 Jul 2014 01:25:44 3,941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rivuzu wrote:
    You wouldn't refuse a diabetic Insulin.
    But you would criticise mentally ill people taking Anti Depressants?
    Depression is caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. AD's help normalise them. Simple as that. As with all mind altering drugs, there'll obviously be side effects but that's where you work with what's best for you.

What an incredibly obnoxious thing to say.
    I'm not arguing with the rest of your post here, but I think there's a problem with "depression is caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain". That may be one reason for depression, but certainly not the only one. The biggest issue here is that "depression" is such a broad and vague term, it's not far from "mental illness". There's depression that leaves you just more or less emotionally dead, there's depression that's deeply painful and desperate, there's depression that results in apathy and depression that results in aggression, and all sorts of mixtures in-between. There's unipolar depression and bipolar depression, and there's bipolar 1 and bipolar 2.

It may well be true that there is depression caused by a chemical inbalance, but it's certainly not true for everyone who's classified as depressed. I just think "depression" isn't much more accurate than "fever". It can be caused by a lot of things, both chemically and psychologically. Some people suffer the worst things and still fight through, others were struck by it despite there was no apparent reason.

There are probably people who are depressed only due to chemical issues, others only because of psychological issues, and I suspect most are a mixture of both. As in, psychological triggers for a genetic/chemical vulnerability, or something like that.
  • DrStrangelove 17 Jul 2014 01:31:55 3,941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    muttler wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    muttler wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    'I never said everyone on drugs was just being 'silly', although I am going to go ahead and say that now.'
    I didn't say that either. People might have real reasons for being depressed is what I said.
    Such as a genetic defect or a chemical imbalance where only the sunroofs and not the cause can be treated? In which case there are these things called drugs that can work?
    These particular medications are bad though, they are more trouble than they are worth.
    The experience I made was that meds had vastly different effects on different people. Some helped moe, some didn't, for others it was vice versa. I think that's more complicated and individual than we'd like to. I wish it was as simple as to say "this is shit" or "that is great".

I will concede one point though, you mentioned your mum is an old lady, for whom I guess getting more active and taking up a sport would be a lot more difficult. Ok, old people get a pass, but if you're capable of physical activity of any kind then no pass. Even disabled people have olympics ffs, and there are a couple of over 70s at the gym I go to.
    Again, there are differences. Creative activities help me sometimes, while sports didn't work at all for me. I tried, fitness, running, biking, it didn't work. I think it's the same as the former, for some it may be right, for others not. If the cause of your depression is some actual relationship issue, sports might not help much, for example.
  • FuzzyDuck 17 Jul 2014 04:11:03 4,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm kind of confused here - how can there be a difference between psychological and chemical issues?

At the end of the day, the brain is nothing more than a physical organ that works via electrical and chemical stimuli, therefore "psychological" issues that are at the root, are a series of situations that cause a chemical imbalance.
  • FuzzyDuck 17 Jul 2014 04:34:19 4,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just read the previous page - I'll wade in with my own 2 cents...

Antidepressants for me are only good as something to peel me off rock bottom. I feel like utter shit when on them, but it's a slightly better place than fixing a noose in the attic or stockpiling enough paracetamol to floor a horse. They provided enough clarity to allow me get my shit together to get me into treatment. Once there was movement there, it was time to get off/tail off with them.

What keeps me on an even keel now? Exercise. Bit of gym action, a nice cycle when the weather permits. This has the double whammy of helping keep the other "D" mentioned here in check - I'm diabetic also. So the exercise clears my head, makes the diabetes more manageable (which can be another source of mental struggle outside of depression and anxiety), makes life all that bit more rosey and creates a positive feedback loop. And doing that gave me enough get up and go to finally pick up the guitar and stick with it, which is providing another outlet.

I wouldn't be able to achieve any of that if I was tanked up on ADs. The ADs got me to the starting position to gain positive momentum. The point is that my experience us just that; mine. What would I say to someone who has mental issues? It's not a black and white disease, nor is the treatments available black and white. It may take time to hit on something that works, but go into everything with an open mind. Just because John down the street told you it didn't work for him, doesn't mean it won't work for you - and vicea versa.
  • DrStrangelove 13 Aug 2014 14:54:17 3,941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Two-thirds of Britons with depression get no treatment
  • Doomspoon 31 Aug 2014 01:28:57 2,467 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nevermind

Edited by Doomspoon at 01:38:37 31-08-2014
  • Psychotext 31 Aug 2014 01:32:00 54,187 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • GameCriticDOTcoDOTuk 31 Aug 2014 11:13:59 150 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 months ago
  • Kichijoten 4 Sep 2014 09:55:59 1,358 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I've just made myself really depressed by looking at my Facebook friends list. Getting old sucks. Marriage, kids etc the amount of lost friends and crazy times. Yeah I'm sure some of these friends would be jealous of me with my family and good job etc but im bloody bored of being old and most of my friends being old and boring now. God i would love to go back ten years or maybe more. Looking through your friends Facebook photos brings back so many memories and i hate seeing old friends who aren't all settled down doing all these parties and the big jealousy is all the travelling they are all doing. Argh.
  • nickthegun 4 Sep 2014 10:00:22 59,912 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You seem to be confusing 'depressed' with 'being a bored fantasist'

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• HarryPalmer 4 Sep 2014 10:30:46 3,319 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sometimes I get depressed when I watch a sad film, or listen to a sad song, or look at a sad picture: depression sucks!!
  • mrpon 4 Sep 2014 12:49:21 28,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've made me upset now.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deckard1 4 Sep 2014 12:54:59 27,981 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As a white muslim transgender nurse with 17 kids who runs an orphanage and invented the pop tart while still find the time to play on the xbox for 17 hours a day, I'm amazed you have the time to be depressed.
  • RyanDS 4 Sep 2014 12:59:26 9,356 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    As a white muslim transgender nurse with 17 kids who runs an orphanage and invented the pop tart while still find the time to play on the xbox for 17 hours a day, I'm amazed you have the time to be depressed.
    Is that fantasist Revan back again?
  • RedSparrows 4 Sep 2014 13:15:32 22,655 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    She never left. Don't forget passing off art as her own, too, iirc.
  • rivuzu 4 Sep 2014 14:03:04 1,835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I once put my hands in wet cement on the floor.

That made a nice depression.

Might be the wrong time/place for that though.
  • RyanDS 4 Sep 2014 14:04:23 9,356 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    She never left. Don't forget passing off art as her own, too, iirc.
    That was fantastic!One of the funniest things I have ever seen on this board.
  • PES_Fanboy 4 Sep 2014 14:10:35 15,863 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Link pls
  • RyanDS 4 Sep 2014 14:14:56 9,356 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't link from my phone. But if you Google revan8 stolen art it is one of the first links. It is in the post your art thread.

Edited by RyanDS at 14:15:11 04-09-2014
  • RedSparrows 4 Sep 2014 14:47:01 22,655 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/209166, see p. 7.

Edited by RedSparrows at 14:47:25 04-09-2014
  • JiveHound 4 Sep 2014 14:54:50 2,437 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Page doesn't exist apparently. Shame, I was curious.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deckard1 4 Sep 2014 14:58:57 27,981 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Take the comma off it. It doesn't make much sense without knowing the context of Revans lengthy history of being a serial fantasist/catfish.

We can call them catfish now yes?
  • JiveHound 4 Sep 2014 15:18:52 2,437 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Righto, yup. Can't believe I missed all that although I had her down as a bit of a weird fish. Anyone else get a lot of private messages from her a couple of years back?

Think she's just lonely.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• spamdangled 4 Sep 2014 15:31:30 27,355 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    rivuzu wrote:
    Depression is caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain.
    Not always it isn't. Depression can be caused by a number of factors: anxiety, stress, environmental, etc. Saying that ADs are some catch-all solution is pretty irresponsible. Just because doctors like to hand them out like lollipops these days doesn't mean they're some panacea that will work for everyone; and sometimes the side-effects can make things far worse.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Page

of 143 First / Last