The Lord of the Rings Online Page 3

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Whizzo 20 Apr 2007 15:56:50 43,038 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got it from a Pirate Bay torrent.

Why Codemasters/Turbine haven't made it available from them I don't know.

edit: hold on, you've got the pre-order disc? It's on there then, set textures to "Very High"

Edited by Whizzo at 15:58:10 20-04-2007

This space left intentionally blank.

• Pike 20 Apr 2007 16:18:00 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The goal, the curve that we've created for the game in the design is that in the beginning, you can solo anything. Over time, you get to a point where the majority of it is still solo-able, there are just a few things which require the considered effort of a group. The feel of the game should be that as an individual player, I can pretty much experience the game by myself if I want to."

That sounds horrible. Does it mean that there will be very little in the lines of raids and group instances in the end game? That is the best part of WoW, IMO.

Edited by Pike at 16:23:38 20-04-2007
  • [maven] 20 Apr 2007 16:18:43 5,152 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    otto, are you booting XP for this?
  • Pike 20 Apr 2007 16:26:47 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    Pike wrote:

That soundsa horrible. Does it mean that there will be very little in the lines of raids and group instances in the end game? That is the best part of WoW, IMO.

Seriously? All I've been reading lately are the opinions of people disillusioned by WoW's implementation of the end game stuff.

That's the bleeding edge raiders whining, with good reason in some cases, about overtuned and untested bleeding edge content. For the 99% of gamers not in Serpentshrine Caverns or Tempest Keep the situation is different.

The five mans and Karazhan are very well designed in my opinion.
  • [maven] 20 Apr 2007 16:58:08 5,152 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Meh. My hopes for a hidden / beta Mac client have been dashed most cruelly by the ottocrat! ;)
  • Deleted user 20 April 2007 17:44:25
    I understand the beta only started a few days ago - so how have some people been playing since February? :)
  • Ajay 20 Apr 2007 18:18:37 2,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What are the most respected/reliable unofficial fansites for this so far? I'm tempted by it, since although I enjoyed WoW's accessability I thought the real end game stuff was crap. However, I'd like to find out more about the mechanics and stuff first and the official site is pretty light on any real detail - I'm not a Tolkein fanboy by any means so it'd be purely for the game itself.
  • Ajay 20 Apr 2007 18:29:57 2,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks - I'll have a nose through it. I really can't remember if I read it when it was originally posted, and even so I had little interest in the game back then so maybe it'll shed some light.
  • Kostabi 20 Apr 2007 19:28:00 4,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Codemasters have dropped the ball with the Special and Collectors Editions. The official forum is fuming at the fact they've changed the contents and not told anyone about it... bad form of the highest order.
  • Ajay 20 Apr 2007 20:04:27 2,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After browsing through some articles, "You can create a whistle out of an acorn that will allow your fellows to call you to them when they are in need" would appear to be the best MMO skill ever.
  • Gl3n Moderator 20 Apr 2007 21:48:31 5,325 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting game, the UI is sin though. I'm suffering from the same problem as maps.

It might have potential, although i can't really tell because of the chugging. It almost seems like lag.

Character is Fango, man-champion on snowbourne

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• Animal 20 Apr 2007 22:12:47 426 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm also playing the pre-order version of this, and I have to agree with Gl3n - the UI is godawful - really counter-intuitive. I fear I have been spoilt by WoW without realising it.

Plus I'm not too keen on the art-design, it lacks WoW's sense of cohesion, and so far its scale as well. Also as both Mappy and Gl3n have mentioned it chugs - not all the time, but enough to notice.

Anyway, i'll stop moaning now as it does have some good points - the occasional 'Lord of the ringsy' moment that makes you go 'coooool' as well as some other nice touches...

I think i'm going to stick with it for a bit longer and see if it grabs me - it is free at the moment after all.

Edited by Animal at 22:51:24 20-04-2007
  • lucasmax 21 Apr 2007 09:31:00 363 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow style interface:

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=25

It might make people feel more at home.

I butchered my wow interface and have done the same to lotro so I didnt really notice a problem with the ui.

Every mmo is laggy at first (im gonna give it a month or two to see if it gets sorted), I only get a problem when on very high settings or above and looking at/in a town.

I also think they'll open a few more servers before/at release which may help.

• Gl3n Moderator 21 Apr 2007 10:39:58 5,325 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a shame that they probably won't sort out lag issues during the free period.
    I'm not going to spend 25 just to see if they've sorted it out later, only to find that the game wasn't really that good to start with.

To be honest, i think the game still looks to be in early beta. Even aspects of the UI like the map screen, are awful to look at and are clunky to use.
    It's like turbine have lifted it directly from some ancient RPG like neverwinter nights or something.

What's funny is that WoW's interface isn't even particularly unique. It's simple and just works.

Even changing weapon or going through active quests, seems overly complex and rubbish to me.

All of those interface-less pretty screenshots and videos aren't really a decent representation of the game.

Edited by Gl3n at 10:42:52 21-04-2007

• Kostabi 21 Apr 2007 14:23:07 4,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just did the chapter 11 instance. Awesome. Skeletons bursting through walls and other fun stuff.

The UI does need tweaking that's for sure but I've not had any major issues with lag at all, a few people hitting warp drive across the screen every now and then but nothing that has interfered with my playing.
  • Gl3n Moderator 21 Apr 2007 14:59:16 5,325 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just come off of a really long binge. Whoa, the game is actually pretty cool :)

Reminds me of guild wars, in terms of world changing events.
    Just saving for my first musical instrument, a lute.

It's not very kind, but the UI seems to be making more sense to me now.

The deed system works very well, and there is quite a sense of acomplishment when you unlock new titles.

I'm starting to think that the performance problems are actually caused locally. I fiddled around with some of the settings which exaserbated the problem quite a bit. People i've grouped with have also said that they have no lag issues.

If i can get it sorted, i'll probably purchase at this rate.

Edited by Gl3n at 15:11:28 21-04-2007

• Kostabi 21 Apr 2007 16:16:44 4,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The deed system is evil.

It's like they thought MMOs needed to be more addictive...
  • Flub 22 Apr 2007 08:29:58 42 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    K, some thoughts.

However, despite having a fairly reasonable PC I can't get what I'd call acceptable performance graphically from the game.

It has moments of chugging, then moments of smoothness, no consistency at all.

Even on medium it still happens.

3.4ghz P4
    7600GT
    2gb ram

3.2ghtz P4, 7800GTX and 2gig of ram. Running in 1440x900 with everything on veryhigh/high and it's running great. The very high texture pack looks really nice.

The game is pretty dull though. Shame really.
  • byron_hinson 22 Apr 2007 10:28:45 1,509 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really enjoy it, like the last one I have everthing running on very high/high and it looks and runs great. I was never much of a fan of WoW myself and found it a bit dull, but I enjoy the stories on LOTRO and the epic quests much more than in other titles.

I'm a little disappointed in how easy it is to level in the game early on, I mean in 6 days of solo play I'm level 14 and to me thats pretty far gone, though it does get much harder as it progresses.

Still it looks promising for the future too with the free add-ons coming out and out of the box its far more stable than any other MMOPG I've played apart from WoW.
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Apr 2007 16:14:20 35,433 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't really have this on my radar at all, but the review today is quite tempting. Hm.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last