The Football League Thread Page 2

• Page

of 181 First / Last

• martu 5 Feb 2007 14:07:37 47 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Another Saints fan here, how many missed chances Saturday? Shocking.

Is there a worse game in the world than the playoff final? I've got a feeling we might find out....
  • TheSaint 5 Feb 2007 14:16:38 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    martu wrote:

Is there a worse game in the world than the playoff final? I've got a feeling we might find out....

There is no way we have the bottle for the play off final. I was their last year thanks to gf and her family being Watford fans and you could sense the tension even as a neutral.
  • bzzct 5 Feb 2007 14:18:26 1,725 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To the rest of the Cardiff fans, considering this, how awesome would a Cardiff City play off final be! (Obviously less good than an auto. spot due to the whole 'possibility of losing thing', but it'd be a hell of an event).

Edited by Kolmar at 14:19:38 05-02-2007
  • PES_Fanboy 5 Feb 2007 14:20:48 13,350 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been to play-off finals, when we've won and when we've lost.

It's pretty much as you'd expect. Huge rollercoaster high if you win, massive low if you don't. Kick every single ball, not just the ones that are important.

I traveled back on the team bus on both occasions, and I don't think a single word was said all the way back (4 hours plus) when we lost.
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2007 14:26:58 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

We painted 'Cheeseboy is Ginger' on a white bedsheet for him to take to the 2000 playoff final, to see if we could get it on telly.

He is a top guy, but he doesnt own a single item of clothing that wasnt bought in the clubshop. One of those guys who you cut and he bleeds white and blue.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• TheSaint 5 Feb 2007 14:34:37 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

We painted 'Cheeseboy is Ginger' on a white bedsheet for him to take to the 2000 playoff final, to see if we could get it on telly.

He is a top guy, but he doesnt own a single item of clothing that wasnt bought in the clubshop. One of those guys who you cut and he bleeds white and blue.

So I guess his cheese of choice is Stilton then?
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2007 14:40:41 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh, by rights it should be, but for my own sake, im glad its not.

He totally called it

• martu 5 Feb 2007 15:34:47 47 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    There is no way we have the bottle for the play off final. I was their last year thanks to gf and her family being Watford fans and you could sense the tension even as a neutral.

Form at the end of the season is key, finish on a high bottle plenty if not then it's a struggle.

The 2003 cup final was bad even though I was resigned to us losing, a good day in all. The ZDS final in 92 was a drunken haze as I was a much, much younger man then.
  • TheSaint 5 Feb 2007 15:49:40 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    martu wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:

Form at the end of the season is key, finish on a high bottle plenty if not then it's a struggle.

The 2003 cup final was bad even though I was resigned to us losing, a good day in all. The ZDS final in 92 was a drunken haze as I was a much, much younger man then.

Wow I was at the ZDS final against forest at Wembley all those years ago. Hard to imagine now but was a good day out.
  • krudster 5 Feb 2007 16:46:13 597 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Norwich City...

*sigh*
  • banjoted 5 Feb 2007 18:08:11 1,500 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    martu wrote:

Undoubtedly. We haven't got the big game players. We need second place or there's no hope :-(
  • martu 5 Feb 2007 18:12:34 47 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    banjoted wrote:

Undoubtedly. We haven't got the big game players. We need second place or there's no hope :-(

Which is odd when we have the best player in the division, the top scorer in the division and Chrissy Baird.

The playoffs would be emotional though, eh?
  • TheSaint 12 Feb 2007 09:50:24 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any Leeds fans got any idea who leaked the team news to Palace?
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2007 09:57:37 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Any Leeds fans got any idea who leaked the team news to Palace?

No, but, apparently he is 'never going to play for leeds united again'.

Personally, I think, after saturdays result, they should give him a pay rise and let him do it every week.

Anyway, we (Derby) were mugged on saturday by Hull, but we have scored so many late ones this season, you cant be too upset.

It was quite a good game. Hull brought it to us and, to be honest, it looked like we did need a bit of a bloody nose after so many back to back wins. We didnt look as hungry as we did, but I think this wont be a bad result in the end.

Phil Brown looks to have Hull organised and playing decent football. I know its old boy syndrome, but I think they may well have what it takes to stay up.

He totally called it

• TheSaint 12 Feb 2007 10:04:09 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After last week I cannot feel too sorry for you guess you can't keep getting lucky and scoring the late goals.

Saints battered West Brom and were only denied by two dodgy referee decisions. I was listening to the West Brom official commentary on-line and even they couldn't have believe that their keeper was still on the pitch after handling outside the area.

I sympathise with Paul Jewel but he should see the standard of referee decisions in the championship each week.
  • Dougs 12 Feb 2007 10:06:38 66,610 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What I find staggering, is that if a ref is deemed to have given a poor performance in the Prem, he is "demoted" to the Champ etc. Why should anyone have to put up with incompetence?! My Swindon fan mate says that every time he's seen a "prem" ref they have been dreadful.
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2007 10:12:37 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It still mystifies me as to why Uriah 'Im the most important person on the pitch' Rennie isnt refereeing in the Rymans.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:13:00 12-02-2007

He totally called it

• TheSaint 12 Feb 2007 10:33:36 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It still mystifies me as to why Uriah 'Im the most important person on the pitch' Rennie isnt refereeing in the Rymans.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:13:00 12-02-2007

*cough*quota*cough*

Maybe a bit harsh but he is frankly rubbish you I cannot see it as anything other than positive discrimination.
  • MisterFalseName 12 Feb 2007 10:48:17 987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Anyway, we (Derby) were mugged on saturday by Hull, but we have scored so many late ones this season, you cant be too upset.

You think? I thought they really deserved a point from us. It's about time we learned the lesson that we can't just sit back on a one goal lead (in a way, it would have been better if Moore hadn't scored when he did - you know we'd have come out far more positively if we were still drawing!)
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2007 11:07:12 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mugged in the way they scored in the last two minutes.

Their first goal was a bit of a fluke/goal keeping error, but, yeah they were value for the point and had the better possession for the first half hour and parts of the second half. Its just that, 88 minutes, you know?

You cant help feel that is a bit of a kick in the balls.

He totally called it

• TheSaint 12 Feb 2007 11:17:39 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Mugged in the way they scored in the last two minutes.

Their first goal was a bit of a fluke/goal keeping error, but, yeah they were value for the point and had the better possession for the first half hour and parts of the second half. Its just that, 88 minutes, you know?

You cant help feel that is a bit of a kick in the balls.

Not so nice being on the other end is it?
  • ballz 13 Feb 2007 13:13:23 495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good news for any other Leicester City fans!

Mandaric has finally completed his buyout. Now if we can just survive this year, we might have some cash to bring in some better players for next year
  • Chimpus 10 Apr 2007 12:15:46 751 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would like to express my amazement at Stoke City actually winning games at the end of the season and pushing for the playoffs. Quality signings like Higginbotham, Fuller, Hendrie(loan) and Dominic matteo have given us a boost throughout the season and after a terrible spell we have won 3 on the bounce.

Currently lying in 7th position 1 point away from wolves in 6th and 3 points away from WBA in 4th whom we beat 3-1 away at the weekend.

Play offs here we come.
  • Twinkle 10 Apr 2007 12:27:09 542 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Southampton, PLEASE beat Birmingham on Saturday please please please please please please.

• nickthegun 10 Apr 2007 12:34:09 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    God, its going to be close. We had a shitter this weekend, with two draws, but almost every other result went for us so the 4 point cushion weve got over Birmingham is as good as we can hope for.

It would be nice to win the league, but even if we finish 2nd, im still going to crack one off in honour of Billy Davies.

Edited by nickthegun at 12:35:07 10-04-2007

He totally called it

• Chimpus 10 Apr 2007 12:34:31 751 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stoke have to go to cardiff on saturday which will be a crucial game. But then have hull,colchester and qpr which is a good run in to be honest.
  • Stickman 10 Apr 2007 12:44:46 29,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The play-offs can be a crushing experience. Last time the Blades were in them, we finished third, far and away better than 4th, 5th and 6th, came so close to automatic, been to two cup semi finals that year, then got absolutely battered 3-0 by Wolves in the final. It was gutting.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Chimpus 10 Apr 2007 12:51:33 751 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah they can be a bad experience for those teams that have just missed out on the top two. Im just glad we have a chance of making it this year, it has kept the season interesting all through the year and if we do make it anything else after that is a bonus.
  • nickthegun 10 Apr 2007 12:51:46 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I could choose a way to go up, then it would be via the playoffs, because for the teams competing, its bigger than the FA CUP.

The playoff finals are just amazing and the finals weekend is one of my favourite in the sporting year.

But, as you say, the playoff finals are, often, a hideous bitch goddess. I hadnt ever seen a grown man cry until Gillingham were robbed by Man City in the 99 Div 2 playoffs.

The thing is, the team in 6th usually get there through a last minute burst of form, but 3rd place have often had a bit of a wobble. Like if Birmingham carry on like they have been doing and finish third, it will be a bit of a confidence blow for them.

Edited by nickthegun at 12:53:23 10-04-2007

He totally called it

• Page

of 181 First / Last