Best way to cook a Steak Page 20

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Next
  • Onny 14 Feb 2010 20:40:06 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    You can't really have it too rare. It's a proper cut of beef so you can eat it completely raw quite safely.

This isn't true. Beef in the uk is hung to make it more tender - but it comes at the expense of the surface of the meat possibly containing harmful bacteria. Therefore you should always sear your beef on the outside, at least. :-)
  • otto Moderator 14 Feb 2010 20:47:31 49,312 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    Smuggo wrote:
    You can't really have it too rare. It's a proper cut of beef so you can eat it completely raw quite safely.

This isn't true. Beef in the uk is hung to make it more tender - but it comes at the expense of the surface of the meat possibly containing harmful bacteria. Therefore you should always sear your beef on the outside, at least. :-)
    Carpaccio and filet américain say you're wrong!

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• PES_Fanboy 14 Feb 2010 20:52:18 14,769 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did a slow roasted (well, braised) beef joint for dinner today. 1.5 hours at 160 degrees, sitting in a nice Suffolk beer and onion jus, basted every now and then. Oh, sealed first, naturally.

The only problem is, as much as that makes a beef joint way more delicious than roasting it dry, the low temp and lack of a second oven means the roast taters take a blinkin' age, even with the 20 mins that I let the meat rest for.
  • otto Moderator 14 Feb 2010 21:02:22 49,312 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you boil the spuds first for twenty minutes or so, they'll cook perfectly if you put them in at a high temperature (230 or so) while the beef rests. No need to have them in the oven at the same time as the meat at all. Also, the parboiling will fluff them up and make them go that much more crispy when you roast them.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• PES_Fanboy 14 Feb 2010 21:09:46 14,769 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah yeah did all that. And fluffed the edges up by knocking them about in the pan after draining the water. And put a dusting of flour over them to induce crispiness. And used goose fat, which you couldn't give away five years ago but now seems to be £3 in Tesco for a tiny fucking jar of the stuff.

Maybe I shoulda made them smaller.
  • otto Moderator 14 Feb 2010 21:12:13 49,312 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You probably didn't boil them for long enough before putting them in to roast.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• PES_Fanboy 14 Feb 2010 21:15:31 14,769 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Prolly. I hate waiting. Someone should invent pre-boiled taters, they sell frozen mash ffs.
  • mrpon 14 Feb 2010 22:06:34 28,742 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think Aunt Bessie does lazy roast potatoes.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• BinaryBob101 14 Feb 2010 22:38:53 22,635 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Onny wrote:
    Smuggo wrote:

Carpaccio and filet américain say you're wrong!

As does Tartare. In fact I'd go as far to say that as long as your source is good, Onny is wrong here.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• bauhaus 25 Feb 2010 17:39:18 3,512 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    A protip from Floyd (RIP): Never put salt on meat unless it's been seared first.

NEVER.
  • ronuds 25 Feb 2010 17:41:08 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are lots of different ways to cook. I've tried with and w/o salt and I prefer with.
  • [Slip] 25 Feb 2010 19:00:51 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think you can buy tartare steak (easily) in the UK as it's nearly all been hung.

In france you can buy it "fresh" so you can eat it tartare raw.
    You could try not cooking it but my betting is you'll be freakin' ill :)
  • angeltreats 14 Jun 2010 19:07:34 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm watching Ready Steady Cook and Gino D'Acampo has made steak tartare. It looks absolutely yum, I want to try it.
  • localnotail 13 Jan 2012 18:50:50 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have steak! \o/ Sirloin no less, thank you cheap deal on Tesco finest.

Heston says I should do this:

Heston's ageing trick: Once you've bought your steak take it out of the packet and place it on a wire rack set over a tray. Refrigerate for 2 days to let the air circulate around the meat and start to dry it out. This will concentrate the flavour and start to tenderise the meat.
    but that's really not going to go down well with veggie bf, so I'm just doing this instead:

[Quote]When you're ready to cook the steak, take it out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature for 2 hours.

Season the steaks with a little salt and place them away from you in the hot pan for 15–20 seconds. Then turn the steaks over and fry for a further 15–20 seconds. Repeat this, turning the steaks, for 2–3 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to rest on a wire rack, for 5 minutes, set over a plate to catch the juices. Will report back if not asleep later with belly full of meat.
    full meal recipe

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Stickman 13 Jan 2012 18:55:10 29,664 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I heard him on about this on the radio.

He also said that no-one ever gets the pan hot enough. He recommended putting it on the high heat for five minutes (!), before adding a touch of oil.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Dirtbox 13 Jan 2012 18:55:43 77,686 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's no way to talk about your baby.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• BinaryBob101 13 Jan 2012 18:57:51 22,635 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oil the beef, not the pan. Then add a knob of butter and baste generously.

Butter basted steak. FUCKING YUM!

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• localnotail 13 Jan 2012 19:34:51 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, I fried half a sweet onion in my pan beforehand so I guess it was hot enough.

Like this method very much, it made a really nice, tender steak, which hardly lost any juices, they stayed in the meat.

Got a bit hypnotised by the turning, which went on a bit longer than I would normally go for, leaving me with medium rare pink, not just carnivore red as I generally prefer. Very nice external crust though.

I did not rest it on my rack (heh) because I couldn't be arsed, just left it on the plate for 5 minutes before eating. Was still nice and warm afterwards.

Verdict: major yum, will do again.

• RyanDS 13 Jan 2012 20:00:26 9,204 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That is a fucking awful recipe!

2-3 minutes of cooking? Might as well just fucking cremate it.
  • localnotail 13 Jan 2012 20:41:41 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think because you keep turning it, it doesn't cook as fast as you are expecting. I did mine for 3 mins I think, and it was still pink inside, but very nicely seared on the outside

Edited by localnotail at 20:42:58 13-01-2012

• Stickman 14 Jan 2012 08:24:16 29,664 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    That is a fucking awful recipe!

2-3 minutes of cooking? Might as well just fucking cremate it.
    Yeah. What the fuck does some three michelin star chef know about cooking? What a putz.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• THFourteen 14 Jan 2012 09:17:48 33,162 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Drench it in coconut milk.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Jan 2012 09:19:15 37,766 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    If it doesn't ooze blood when cutting into it you're doing it wrong.
    I bet you say that to all your victims.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• TheRealBadabing 3 Mar 2012 22:19:47 1,299 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is probably a good place to recommend where to buy a steak. ASDA.

Normally anyone with the slightest interest in good quality steak avoids supermarket butcher counters. ASDA have changed that with their "Wagyu" beef range. The hype goes on about Japanese stock and looking after the animals well.

Best silverside roast I have ever eaten last week and tonight I have had a rump steak that was streets ahead of even some of the most expensive sirloin I have had. Amazingly good meat and about the same price my (normally excellent) butcher charges for the same cut.

Stock is an issue at the moment and they only seem to sell it at my shop on weekends. Even then they only have roasting, rump and fillet. Based on my experience so far with the "ropier" cuts, I fully expect the fillet to disintegrate in the pan.

This stuff is so good it is the only reason I would brave a supermarket on a weekend.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last

Next