Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 22:36:29 26-10-2013
  • Deleted user 26 October 2013 22:39:54
    Yeah I quite like crocop.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Oct 2013 22:43:31 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Did resemble one of his Pride finishes!
  • Deleted user 26 October 2013 22:53:43
    Yep, classic left high kick. Often to the top of the head too.
  • El_MUERkO 26 Oct 2013 23:02:58 16,951 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    David Scarbridge!
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Oct 2013 23:26:36 14,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Yeah I know. I'm pretty ignorant to the technicalities of Boxing. I realised this when I heard Mani Stewart pick apart Calzaghe when he beat Kessler.

Thought to myself; I don't know very much about this!
    Most people don't, and for a casual fan MMA is more immediate and accessible, easier to follow and understand.
    Dunno about that. 90% of casual MMA fans lose interest as soon as a fight hits the floor and BJJ/wrestling comes into play.

The thing about boxing is its capability. The the casual of casuals, its just 2 guys punching watching to see a knockout, whereas a season fan will easily see the complexities of the fight.

To even begin to get BJJ you need some level of understanding for it.

Anyways, wicked knockout from the dragon. Enter the dragon.... into the middleweight division.
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Oct 2013 23:28:01 14,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    David Scarbridge!
    Heh, I lol'ed too.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Oct 2013 23:40:54 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, maybe because BJJ is a reactive art, so fighters are generally on the defensive when they apply techniques. Dunno. Subs don't get the respect that elbow fuelled beatdowns get imo.
  • Deckard1 26 Oct 2013 23:57:58 27,147 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha watching a recording of this. And there is.... David..... Sturbridge..... Daniel Striburdge....
  • rhubarbandcustard 27 Oct 2013 06:10:13 115 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Love my UFC, but that was a terrible fight card.

UFC used to be about the best versus the best. But with so many annual shows now it's more about quantity over quality. Also, some of those British fighters...they just should not have been there.

On the plus side, despite being a lowlife scumbag, Jimi Manuwa looks a beast, and Lyoto Machida will (hopefully) be fast tracked to a crack at the middleweight belt.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2013 14:12:49

Calamitous officiating at the end there.
  • craigy Staff 27 Oct 2013 14:31:05 7,522 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oof, that was pretty bad.

I didn't really enjoy the UFC card last night. The final three fights were all odd.

Guillard/Pearson was an obvious letdown, but what's more annoying is Munoz; no strikes landed, didn't really look like he wanted to fight Machida. Relieved to be KO'd.

The Manuwa injury thing is interesting -- are people so scared of him that their legs involuntarily fall to bits? His next fight should be against a top-ten LHW.

Still, Parke looked good -- if he can add a bit more firepower to his strikes he'll be someone to watch. Barnatt was great once he warmed up; being a slow starter could cost him.

I take it Sakara will be released very shortly.

Will the UK ever get a stacked card?
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Oct 2013 15:15:25 14,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just call him Jammy Manual now; as he's got the secrets to make his opponents injure himself.

He's now worthy of fighting a top 10 fighter now, but I really think that's an indictment on the quality pool at light-heavyweight in the UFC. And I say it not as a hater, nut he really shouldn't be top 15 worthy (which I think he is). Either boxing, kickboxing, or grappling he wouldn't make it fair, but has managed to in MMA.

Also find it funny he threw a crummy hook kick. A year back when one of our guys was warming up to fight one of his boys, he walked past us whilst we were practising his stand up (our creative kickboxing style means we throw a lot of the TMA kicks.... like hook kicks). He smugly sneered how "that shit don't work".

A year later, he's doing hook kicks.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Oct 2013 15:19:40 14,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Will the UK ever get a stacked card?
    More worryingly, there is a darth of uk talent who aren't getting a look in. The uk MMA scene is one giant circus. We need better guys in there.

A few more MacGregors are needed.
  • craigy Staff 27 Oct 2013 16:30:58 7,522 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We need better wrasslers! Or at least, a method for dealing with American smothering wrasslers that seem to be our foil.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Oct 2013 20:42:40 14,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dunno I we can ever do anything about that for this generating though. As a country, we don't have any grappling sport beyond Judo to help us. Eastern Europe has wrestling and even Sambo as popular sports.
  • mcmothercruncher 27 Oct 2013 22:34:52 6,447 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Parke looked good, crafty, dynamic offense, but I couldnít help thinking how stationary his head is. As the quality of his opposition gets better, an accurate striker will absolutely light him up, no?

Damn, that was one nasty cut on Pearsonís head, even if it had continued I donít think he could have gone much further before the blood got into his eyes and it was stopped anyway.

Glad Machida got the win, hope he can put something together now, classy finish too.

I feel ever more flat about MMA these days I have to admit. The last time I was truly on the edge of my seat over British fighters was probably the 105 card, also at Manchester. Definitely a bit of quantity over quality fatigue for me.
  • The-Bodybuilder 28 Oct 2013 00:30:55 14,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought McGregor was Northern Irish. I did say UK, not England (hint: there's a difference).

Not too fussed. I suspect you'll be seeing 1 or 2 new British talents come UFC in London.
  • The-Bodybuilder 28 Oct 2013 00:32:25 14,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Parke looked good, crafty, dynamic offense, but I couldnít help thinking how stationary his head is. As the quality of his opposition gets better, an accurate striker will absolutely light him up, no?

Damn, that was one nasty cut on Pearsonís head, even if it had continued I donít think he could have gone much further before the blood got into his eyes and it was stopped anyway.

Glad Machida got the win, hope he can put something together now, classy finish too.

I feel ever more flat about MMA these days I have to admit. The last time I was truly on the edge of my seat over British fighters was probably the 105 card, also at Manchester. Definitely a bit of quantity over quality fatigue for me.
    Way too many card.
    And the UFC was meant to be the best of the best, yet I'm seeing too many average fighters in there these days.
  • Deleted user 28 October 2013 00:50:46
    McGregor is from Dublin ;)

Parke is Northern Irish.
  • The-Bodybuilder 28 Oct 2013 08:11:59 14,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Meh.
    Besides I wouldn't jumps the gun just yet, as Ireland suffers from the same "no grappling" sports background. We've yet to see McGregor against a true wrestler.
  • Reacher 28 Oct 2013 08:24:18 691 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Even though I am a huge MMA fan, I have never bothered going to watch it live even though it's fairly local for me when they come over. The cards are usually massively shit.

I don't see why they have to put a load of homers on every card they have.
  • craigy Staff 28 Oct 2013 09:16:24 7,522 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder you mean Colin MacGroober?
  • mcmothercruncher 28 Oct 2013 09:29:19 6,447 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A few interesting points on how the UFC product is probably going to continue to fray at the edges a bit as they attempt to spread it worldwide.
  • Gartt 28 Oct 2013 11:19:11 1,735 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice article, if they are planning more shows over here I hope they make the tickets a bit more reasonable. What was it? Just under £100 for the cheapest ticket to that manchester event?
  • mcmothercruncher 28 Oct 2013 13:44:46 6,447 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, as they do more local shows they need to swallow their pride and stop trying to charge premiership prices for championship quality product.
    I suspect ego and a mistaken belief that high prices confer some sort of premium feel to things will keep it in triple figures though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 28 Oct 2013 15:53:36 14,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @The-Bodybuilder you mean Colin MacGroober?
    Hehe, he makes a fair point though.
  • mcmothercruncher 29 Oct 2013 08:18:37 6,447 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Super sweet, simple takedown. Even if it was against a lighter BJ.
  • craigy Staff 1 Nov 2013 13:16:34 7,522 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love Chael:
    https://twitter.com/sonnench/statuses/396100570236203009
    https://twitter.com/sonnench/statuses/396092988536803328
  • Page

of 167 First / Last