The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 137

• Page

of 171 First / Last

• mcmothercruncher 6 Sep 2013 10:12:04 6,687 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Rousey is worried TUF will make her look like a bitch because.....well, she is a bitch. Everything PR output points to so and TUF will certainly push more people against her.
    That's the line the production company are pursuing. Which makes me wonder how much autonomy they have, I mean, quite a lot presumably because the UFC wouldn't want to piss in their own cornflakes. Still, they can only manufacture so much, if she gives them enough rope, they'll hang her etc etc.

I think the Teixeira hype is a bit strong at the moment, there's a whiff of the push that Bisping received- because of the country he was representing- about it. We're looking at a decent fighter that'll loose to Jones and then hover around position 10 in the rankings for my money.
  • The-Bodybuilder 6 Sep 2013 10:30:12 14,112 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I kinda agree. I also have my doubt on Tex's conditioning for 5 rounds.

I think 90% of the time Rousey talks to the PR, she comes out with some pretty irritating stuff. Seems to have a giant chip on her shoulder.
    Not surprising really. Have you seen her mother?
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Sep 2013 13:36:30 6,687 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lol, yeah. Mother seen. Point taken. There was some questionable parenting that went on there in the name of creating a "winner" from the anecdotes floating around.
    It worked, but also created a bit of a monster...
  • mcmothercruncher 14 Sep 2013 21:17:02 6,687 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got around to episode 2 of TUF, oh, my, fucking, GOD, the self important high school melodrama of Rousey is pathetic. Not only do I want her team to loose, I want her to loose her belt too. Plus, Tate has a better arse ;)
  • Deleted user 14 September 2013 21:18:09
    Rousey is simply hideous.
  • El_MUERkO 15 Sep 2013 14:43:25 16,970 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've followed her on Twitter for a while, she's said herself she's bipolar when it comes to sports, she's a nice person out of the gym and she's a raving nutbag in the gym. You don't have the Diaz's call you a monster in training if you're not one.
  • The-Bodybuilder 15 Sep 2013 16:19:36 14,112 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tbh, I don't think she's a nice person outside of the gym.
    People try to claim we are completely different, but its simply an extension. Even in interviews, completely outside of the gym, she comes across as an ogre.

That TUF episode was hilarious? What was with her walk at the end (loved Tate's imitation), and her kicking the door down like a "bad ass", all without the whole "you'll pay for what you did" crying. Next week doesn't put her in a better light either.

She's nuts.
  • craigy Staff 16 Sep 2013 12:25:58 7,567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Her strut is hilarious. The histrionics are over the top, but it's making for entertaining TV :D
  • mcmothercruncher 16 Sep 2013 20:35:05 6,687 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, obviously, she can back it up, but she looked like a frigging toddler trying to act mean. Pure unintentional comedy. It'll be interesting to watch it unfold over the season and see where her image sits at the end. Read Fightlinker, for the first time in ages and they were trying to assert she looked GOOD in episode two and it would have enhanced her reputation. That site really isn't what it was a few years ago.
  • craigy Staff 17 Sep 2013 09:13:29 7,567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm thinking about doing Ronda's mean-mug and strut at the gym from now on. Should get people quaking.
  • mcmothercruncher 17 Sep 2013 17:02:13 6,687 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope your gym has some of those weedy destructible doors the TUF set seems to love too ;)
  • mcmothercruncher 19 Sep 2013 19:16:39 6,687 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "That's what you get for eating biscuits at breakfast!!!!"

Mental note, stick with the Muesli.
  • craigy Staff 21 Sep 2013 09:23:37 7,567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fight niiiiight!

Jones, Barao, Schaub, and Nurmagomedov will all be winners.
  • craigy Staff 22 Sep 2013 11:19:17 7,567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Called all four fights. Should have put a bet on!

How did you guys score the main event? I thought Alex did enough -- just. I love that someone has finally managed to make Jones look ordinary.
  • Reacher 22 Sep 2013 11:25:39 786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fights/index/4420

Gustaffson jabbed nicely early on, but gassed, got taken down and nearly finished. I can't believe people are saying he should have won the fight, just because he managed to hit Jones a few times.
  • Reacher 22 Sep 2013 11:26:07 786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh and "doing just enough", isn't what makes you a champion.
  • craigy Staff 22 Sep 2013 11:56:04 7,567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting numbers! Judging a fight like that in the moment is a hellish job. Do those oblique kicks to the knee count as significant strikes?

This fight is another in the growing pool where stuffing a takedown isn't given enough merit in the judges criteria. Stuffing 10 out of 11 of a champion's attempted takedowns is huge.

Thing is, I don't like the implied bias we often see in round-scoring whenever there are close championship fights like this. Champions always seem to get given the benefit of the doubt and awarded the round when it's close. JDS even tweeted to say that to beat a champion on points you have to do a lot more than eke them in the rounds. Isn't that moving the goalposts a little bit, and showing bias towards the champ?

I always thought a champion should defend the belt -- and what I mean by that is that the onus is on them to show that they are still a deserving champion by clearly winning. If a round is even, give it to the challenger. And make it so that the round scoring is immediately available for the fighters and coaches to see at the end of each round. That way you can show what the champion is really made of, and make them work to keep the belt. In this specific case a draw seems a lot more appropriate.

If there should be a bias in scoring, the champ should be the one handicapped, not the challenger. Ultimately though, an implicit bias towards the champion shouldn't exist at all, and a challenger and champion should be awarded rounds on equal merit.
  • Reacher 22 Sep 2013 19:30:11 786 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I disagree. I think it's up to the challenger to take the belt, After all, that's normally how the champion wins it in the first place.
  • mcmothercruncher 22 Sep 2013 21:10:55 6,687 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    ... ultimately though, an implicit bias towards the champion shouldn't exist at all, and a challenger and champion should be awarded rounds on equal merit.
    That's it exactly for me. A fight is a fight and a champion, especially, deserves no special help if he truly is a champ. There is definitely a buffer given to belt holders.

Jones lost the first three, just, won the last two. Gustafsson lit him up all the way through to mid way in the fifth. Not sure Jones has ever faced anyone with that reach before and he struggled with range right through, taking visibly more damage.
    I'm surprised more fighters don't work the legs more- it's a nice little insurance policy in your pocket should your fight go into the later rounds. You could see Gustaffsen getting ever more leaden on the lead leg as the fight went on and then he ran out of gas in the last round. Bah.

Rest of the card was a bit meh, but that was WAY more fight that I think anyone saw coming, amazing. I smell a re-match. By which time, depressingly, the Jones camp will have come up with a way to nullify the Gustafsson's schtick and Jones will have the skill to implement it to the fullest.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Sep 2013 21:37:06 14,112 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished watching the fight.
    The way people we're going on, I was expecting daylight robbery and for Gus to display Floyd like Boxing. Such exaggeration.

I'd give rounds 1-3 a draw, possibly round 2 to Jones.
    I think there's a clear bias towards punching to people. It seems Jon's light kicks shouldn't count, yet the vast majority of Gus's punches weren't significant either until the last 2 rounds.

The funny thing is, if not for the final minute of round 4, I'd have given that to him too. His best Boxing was in that round. Round 5 was clearly Jones.

Take downs is an odd one. I do think stuffing it should count. Equally, for all the "stuffing" Gus did, it seemed it was purely through strength and no great defensive takedown technique (which equally calls into question that a lot of Jones' takedowns are through his pure size and strength).

Either case, that was not the robbery people are proclaiming it to be.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Sep 2013 21:39:45 14,112 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Either way, it should be down to the challenger to take it. If its a draw, the champ keeps the belt anyways, so you gotta do more.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 23 Sep 2013 02:53:44 11,288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Gus deserved the win, just, but it was close enough to preclude talk of robbery.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• midnight_walker 23 Sep 2013 04:45:20 1,915 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I need to rewatch the fight but I had Gus winning the first 3 and Jones the last 2, but I felt round 2 could really have gone either way so I don't think it was a robbery. I didn't give Gus enough credit before this fight; I thought Jones would crush him worse than everybody else he's ever faced, but holy crap. There's definitely a rematch on the cards, if only for the fact that he's the only guy to ever pose any kind of challenge to Jones.

Jones seemed quite off in this fight almost from the start. I wonder if he was almost in awe that someone was able to do so well against him.
  • craigy Staff 23 Sep 2013 07:45:51 7,567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, you could really see the disbelief on Jones' face when Gus was initially landing strikes. I don't think Gus was robbed, but I'm disappointed that the decision went the way it did. We were so close to having a European champ!
  • The-Bodybuilder 23 Sep 2013 08:27:02 14,112 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've said it for a while but technically, Jon's stand up really isn't greet at all. His Boxing is poor (lol at him thinking a couple of years of Boxing and he could hang with a Klitcho), no footwork or head movement and angles and even technically his kicks aren't all that.
  • The-Bodybuilder 23 Sep 2013 08:31:30 14,112 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still baffled people can give 1-3 to Gus, there was barely anything in it. I think people need to rematch those rounds again. Gus tagged him more with hands but Jones did with legs. I do think there is a bias to "headhunting" with hands that gives the initial impression of doing more damage.

Heck part of me would give the whole of round 4 to Gus because on the whole I felt he did his best damage in that round before the last minute.
  • The-Bodybuilder 23 Sep 2013 08:33:20 14,112 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do think he was beginning to believe his own hype a bit too much. This should relax the idea he should go up into the HWs. He would get murdered there.
  • mcmothercruncher 23 Sep 2013 08:47:54 6,687 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, you can but dream.
  • craigy Staff 23 Sep 2013 16:42:32 7,567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What next for Gus?

Phil Davis or Lyoto Machida are two obvious guesses.

A win for Davis against Gus would get him the next shot at Jones (assuming Glover loses). If Gus were to fight Machida and win, he could earn a rematch against Jones.

The LHW division looks very shallow right now. The bottom five in the top-ten rankings are nowhere near a title shot, and only two in the top five haven't fought and lost against Jones.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2013 17:43:05
    Both opponents you suggest are unlikely, Davis and Gustafsson train togeather and will probably only fight each other again if a title was on the line, and Machida has dropped to middleweight.

Gegard Mousasi would be a pretty good matchup if he stays at LHW but Gustafsson is likely to get another shot at Bones. The UFC would be foolish not to capitalise on what would be a hugely anticipated rematch.

Edited by TearYouAsunder at 17:43:20 23-09-2013
  • Page

of 171 First / Last