Running Page 3

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• rutter 18 Mar 2009 12:23:28 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't been out since last weds - which sucks, especially in this weather!
    Got a rubbish cold/cough thing. Did circuits yesterday which almost killed me, so no run for me today. Maybe tomorrow - otherwise it'll be next week :(
  • Jeepers 18 Mar 2009 12:25:21 13,168 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have to get my arse in gear and get out for a run. Knackered my ankle which kept me off the pavement for a month. After that, getting the motivation to go again has proved tough.

Damn my lack of willpower...
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 18 Mar 2009 12:27:06 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nothing too serious I hope? I'm a bit over-excited about the prospect of running at the moment as I'm coming back from my big lay off.
  • Jeepers 18 Mar 2009 12:38:16 13,168 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Nothing too serious I hope? I'm a bit over-excited about the prospect of running at the moment as I'm coming back from my big lay off.

No, not serious at all really - I went out for a run, got about five minutes in and realised that my ankle/Achilles tendon was feeling 'stiff' and quite uncomfortable. I stopped the run, and left it for a couple of days - but in th end it was about a month before I could walk comfortably on it.

A (much fitter!) friend mentioned to me that even slight damage to the tendons can take a looooong time to recover. He was right.

I think I need to strengthen my ankles, to give the tendons a little more support. That, and the new shoes I bought, should help, I hope.

What I also need, of course, is a kick up the fat arse to get back out there :)
  • Youthist 18 Mar 2009 13:18:55 9,897 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @Youthist: Nice time! What was the route like? Am I right in thinking that it takes you out of town, up near Devil's Dyke?

Nope, its all right on the front, apart from a little bit up into the town itself at the start. Kinda starts at the pier, then up into the town centre for a couple of miles, then all the way up and down the coast run, to the marina, etc. Really nice - I have done Great North Run, Windsor, and Brigton in the last 6 months, and Brighton was my fave course from those.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 18 Mar 2009 14:06:34 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The seafront run is great, so long as you don't do it in the dead of winter. The headwinds can be brutal.
  • Youthist 18 Mar 2009 14:34:55 9,897 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    The seafront run is great, so long as you don't do it in the dead of winter. The headwinds can be brutal.

I recommend Windsor as well, it is a great course, all within great windsor park, so no roads, just tarmac paths, great crowds lining the route in the park, etc. Very cool.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• malteaserhead 18 Mar 2009 14:42:04 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    A (much fitter!) friend mentioned to me that even slight damage to the tendons can take a looooong time to recover. He was right.

Indeed. I'm about to play footy tonight for the first time in 10 months almost exclusively down to tendon problems. If you can do something preventative (better shoes, inserts) I'd really recommend it.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 1 Apr 2009 14:14:52 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just booked my place for the Brighton 10k in November. Get in!
  • rutter 2 Apr 2009 08:25:40 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice one dude. I've got my first 10K race two weeks on Sunday. The Hertford charity race.

Any of you experts got any words of wisdom?
  • RunningMan 2 Apr 2009 09:29:37 2,356 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't run too quickly at the start, it's very easy to get carried away at the start and sprint off with the elite runners and then suffer later on. Don't do any hard running in the week running up to the race.

Hope it goes well.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 2 Apr 2009 09:32:58 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I'd echo what RunningMan says. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of the race and bomb off down the road - if you do you'll regret it in the second half of the race!

Best to start slow, and speed up later - it'll make you feel smug when you're passing people in the latter part of the race.
  • rutter 2 Apr 2009 09:49:40 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the tips gents. If I hit under 1hr I'll be happy.
    Sub 55 I'll be delighted :)
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 10:25:38 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Man, this spring sunshine has given me a sudden compulsion to run. It's brilliant.

It's great isn't it?

My passion's cycling and I've really thrown myself into it this last year. Now starting to think about entering some races but not sure if family life will allow the training to be anymore intense than it already is. I'm already on the bike a lot as it is.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 10:28:30 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    craigy wrote:

I recommend Windsor as well, it is a great course, all within great windsor park, so no roads, just tarmac paths, great crowds lining the route in the park, etc. Very cool.

Windsor park is beautiful. I did a 60 mile ride a few weeks ago and we went through Windsor Park. I hadn't been before and thought it was an awesome place. Great for photography.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 10:30:28 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rutter wrote:
    Nice one dude. I've got my first 10K race two weeks on Sunday. The Hertford charity race.

Any of you experts got any words of wisdom?

If you've done the training you'll breeze it, and just make sure you go at your own pace, not someone else's. Make sure you hydrated properly too, before, during and after. Even more so if it's a warm day.
  • Venkman90 2 Apr 2009 10:38:22 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just did my first run in years this morning. I quit the gym ages ago as I was tired of preening assholes, I have always been in ok shape weight wise due to a decent metabolism, lack of beer and walking to work etc... but I want to get in shape fitness wise.

Up at 6:20, out the door at 6:30 and back in at 6:45....fuck it was hard not to go too fast, I need to slow down to rack up the distance, also my astham that hasn't bothered me for years seems to linger around, I used to box for hours with no issues but after a run I am wheezing.

Might do dumbells tommorow then run again saturday.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 10:44:26 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Venkman90 wrote:
    Just did my first run in years this morning. I quit the gym ages ago as I was tired of preening assholes, I have always been in ok shape weight wise due to a decent metabolism, lack of beer and walking to work etc... but I want to get in shape fitness wise.

Up at 6:20, out the door at 6:30 and back in at 6:45....fuck it was hard not to go too fast, I need to slow down to rack up the distance, also my astham that hasn't bothered me for years seems to linger around, I used to box for hours with no issues but after a run I am wheezing.

Might do dumbells tommorow then run again saturday.

You ran on an empty stomach?
  • Benno 2 Apr 2009 10:46:29 9,392 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I run/swim on an empty stomach all the time?
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 11:20:24 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    I run/swim on an empty stomach all the time?

Swimming's a little bit different, but why don't you try eating some light carbs in the morning before the run. I know it's tough if you're running very early, but it really isn't good to run on nothing. You need the carbs to be broken down into glycogen, which the body then converts to energy.
  • Youthist 2 Apr 2009 11:24:00 9,897 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wheatabix two hours before running ftw.
    Also I swear by Lucozade glucose tablets on the run itself, if running like a 1/2M or more.

• Venkman90 2 Apr 2009 11:25:18 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had heard a few schools of thought, that running pre food would burn fat rather than the food you took on...did I do a bad thing?

Seems to be various opinions on fitness / health and its hard to find the right one (run at night vs the morning etc...)

If I should be eating first then it will be running at night for me, if I eat first thing I will feel full for at least half an hour, by which point I am getting ready for work.
  • thrawn 2 Apr 2009 11:28:38 888 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I find it impossible to run, or do any exercise really, if I've eaten before. I have to run first thing in the morning or when I get it from work, roughly 4-5 hours after my last meal. I seem to be a bit strange on this matter though.
  • rutter 2 Apr 2009 11:42:52 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like to have an apple or banana about 90 mins before a run. I'll drink myself silly with water up to 60 mins prior. If I drink water within 60 mins I generally get a stitch.

I also have a coffee about 30 mins before - apparently the caffeine can help you burn fat quicker (don't know how true this is).

Of course, I run at midday - which is much easier with food/drink stuff than 10 mins after you get up. I think I would perform much worse if I went first thing.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 11:53:41 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thrawn wrote:
    I find it impossible to run, or do any exercise really, if I've eaten before. I have to run first thing in the morning or when I get it from work, roughly 4-5 hours after my last meal. I seem to be a bit strange on this matter though.

Depends what you eat, how much and how long before you exercise. My training is a bit more extreme compared to you, but you really should eat some carbs before training. If you're stuck for time and aren't running particularly far, I would suggest some light simple carbs, like a banana. Also get some fluids down you. If you haven't eaten anything since tea time the night before, your body won't have much glycogen to use as energy.

Or, if you are definately going to be running early morning, try eating a high carb meal the night before. Then you can just eat some very light carbs in the morning, as I said, a banana for example, and fluids. I'd bet my mortgage you have more energy when you're running.

If I'm doing a particularly long ride in the morning, say 50 miles plus at a fast pace, I'll eat a high carb meal the might before, say pasta and veg for example. Then when I wake i'll have plenty of fluids and another high carb breakfast. Porridge with raisens and honey. I'll then start the ride about an hour later. By that time everything is ready to be used and I don't run out of energy. In the early days I'd just have a normal breakfast, and a normal not so high carb meal the night before, and I would run out of energy about half way. Not anymore..and my mileage and speed has gone up too.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 11:58:08 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rutter wrote:
    I like to have an apple or banana about 90 mins before a run. I'll drink myself silly with water up to 60 mins prior. If I drink water within 60 mins I generally get a stitch.

I also have a coffee about 30 mins before - apparently the caffeine can help you burn fat quicker (don't know how true this is).

Of course, I run at midday - which is much easier with food/drink stuff than 10 mins after you get up. I think I would perform much worse if I went first thing.

All the pro and semi pro cyclists I know have told me the best way to take on fluids is to sip, not gulp it down, and it bloody works I can tell you, for lots of reasons. Your body will use the water more efficiently if you sip. It's a tip riders use so they don't have to pee a lot whilst riding. If you gulp down, your dody will get rid of it quicker.

Basically, sudden increases in liquid increases gastric emptying = less uptake compared to drinking the same amount over an hour or so.

Next time you go on a run, check your pee afterwards. It's easy enough to tell if you are dehydrated after a run as your pee will be darker than if you were well hydrated - it should be clear or light yellow.

• pistol 2 Apr 2009 12:00:04 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Wheatabix two hours before running ftw.
    Also I swear by Lucozade glucose tablets on the run itself, if running like a 1/2M or more.

The weetabix will give you a slower release of energy, which is good for long periods of running/cycling, but the lucozade will be a quick burst, not slow releasing and not really that useful tbh. Maybe if you run out of gas it can help, but I wouldn't bother before the run.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 12:03:00 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rutter wrote:

Try eating the fruit about 30 or 40 mins before the run. You don't need to wait 60-90 mins, unless you're eating more slow release carbs like bran, toast, etc.
  • pistol 2 Apr 2009 12:07:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rutter wrote:

Caffine is a great stimulant and it has it's uses in training, but don't be fooled into thinking it's gonna help you burn fat quicker. Read this..very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/health/nutrition/26best.html?_r=2&partner=rss

• rutter 2 Apr 2009 13:16:12 1,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow - thanks for all the info pistol. Most useful.

I normally have a pint of water before I leave for work (7.15) - then drink 3/4 of a two litre bottle of water between 9am and 11am. So, it's not gulping so much, as really hydrating myself up to the hour cut of before I run.

I'll read the caffine link now. Cheers
  • Page

of 35 First / Last