PSVR Page 196

• Page

of 200 First / Last

• mattyduk 17 May 2017 09:30:32 25 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watched a bit of Ian's stream last night and he was at pains to point out that he is a complete PSVR advocate and that for someone who's got less exposure to PSVR, they will probably find it amazing. It's just that as a seasoned user, he can see the "on rails" limitation of it.

So yes, understand that, but as others have said, I got a PSVR for some 1 hour gameplay blasts/experiences - not as the main gaming option, so a game that is just shooting fun but a bit shallow, will suit me fine. I'm not expecting Halo or COD.Will have to wait till pay day :)

So I think I've gone through all the demos now, and the PSVR has got 1 to 2 hours use so far everyday. As for purchases, went for Tumble and Crystal rift (about 3 in sale and is actually very immersive and suspenseful to play), and yesterday picked up VR Hustle Kings (initially fiddly, but once you understand the controls, I spent an hour playing some frames against the AI).

Next purchases (and hoping for another PSN sale for bank holiday), are Battlezone, Korix, Statik
  • chrisp 17 May 2017 09:37:38 972 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Grr. My Amazon pre-order of the Farpoint/Aim bundle was due to arrive today but this morning I receive an email saying it's been "unexpectedly delayed". I'd arranged to work from home as well in order to take the delivery. They did the same with Zelda, which I was willing to excuse as a one-off, but I certainly won't be using them for any more pre-orders.
  • IronGiant 17 May 2017 09:50:40 5,443 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rush Of Blood is quite literally 'on rails' and its fantastic and a game i can pick up and play anytime. There seems to be an obsession with so called AAA games in VR.. why? Creating an open world game in VR would be ridiculously expensive and never recoup thr investment. By the very nature of having to wear a headset VR is suited to shorter sessions of gaming. From what ive read theyve really nailed the shooting and feel in Farpoint so i cant wait to experience it.. when its cheaper ;)
  • TitanWarlord93 17 May 2017 09:56:27 97 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    My order of Farpoint already been despatched but been told it will arrive tomorrow. And I spent 20 towards next day delivery.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 May 2017 09:59:54 30,770 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can you at least claim the extra postage back, given you paid for that as an additional service?

Mine was down as the 18th the second I ordered it. I wonder of there has been a nationwide delay at some part of the delivery chain that's moving a large chunk of UK deliveries to the 18th?

I'd really love to see more games do what Dirt Rally and Resident Evil 7 did, where they're the full experience anyone playing any other way would have, but in VR. I know it's probably very expensive to develop, and for some games you're definitely going to need to tweak the gameplay to make it viable, but that doesn't stop me wanting it :p

Edited by DFawkes at 10:02:34 17-05-2017
  • chrisp 17 May 2017 11:22:02 972 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My delivery is down for Sat 20th. Hopefully early on in the day so I'm at least in when it arrives ...
  • minky-kong 17 May 2017 11:45:09 12,855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chrisp wrote:
    Grr. My Amazon pre-order of the Farpoint/Aim bundle was due to arrive today but this morning I receive an email saying it's been "unexpectedly delayed". I'd arranged to work from home as well in order to take the delivery. They did the same with Zelda, which I was willing to excuse as a one-off, but I certainly won't be using them for any more pre-orders.
    Standard Amazon practice, they did the same with Yooka Laylee for me last month even though I had Prime and put the preorder in months prior to it's release. Useless bunch of pricks.
  • Ghibli 17 May 2017 11:56:17 169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think some of the difficulty with developing games like Resi in VR is simply the "it's behind you" syndrome. It's actually a proper pain in the arse to be continually turning round 180 etc. So the on rails thing seems more of a way to be continually driving the player forward rather than totally being an anti nausea conceit imo.

Current design thinking seems to be about putting the action mostly in front of you to avoid that issue. Inevitably that's going to feel a little on a rails I guess.

One of the most powerful experiences I've had in VR was Notes on Blindness ( gear VR​ ) but that was marred slightly by the need to crane around too much, although in that case I totally get why they did it. Even then Gear VR makes it easier due to it being wire free. PSVR as it stands would wrap you up fairly quickly in a fully open world imo.

As a word of advice for people new to VR on that note though. The swivel chair is your friend. I found that out after my kid fell over playing Job Simulator. She put her hand out towards a wall that wasn't there to steady herself.

I tried not to laugh. It was a shock reaction, honest.

/Is a bad dad.

"Standy-up VR" isn't for us in the Ghibli house now, but rolling out a swivel chair solved that problem instantly.

Edited by Ghibli at 11:58:14 17-05-2017
  • quadfather 17 May 2017 11:59:02 26,524 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ghibli

I like the chair approach too, but I found with Resi, the leaning really helps/is even more immersive when you're standing up.

Still doesn't help you not fall over occasionally though.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 May 2017 12:25:03 30,770 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My Farpoint is here! It's still marked as undelivered and due for the 18th though, but it's definitely here :)

The gun feels lovely. It's lighter than I expected and quite a bit chunkier, which is fine for me but I could see it being a bit big for being with a case of Trump Hands. Can't actually use it yet though as I'm at work, but as far as the feel of the thing goes it's nice and solid. It has all the buttons too, except the touch pad. There is a button but it only activates the same action as clicking the touchpad.
  • IronGiant 17 May 2017 12:38:33 5,443 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    My Farpoint is here! It's still marked as undelivered and due for the 18th though, but it's definitely here :)

The gun feels lovely. It's lighter than I expected and quite a bit chunkier, which is fine for me but I could see it being a bit big for being with a case of Trump Hands. Can't actually use it yet though as I'm at work, but as far as the feel of the thing goes it's nice and solid. It has all the buttons too, except the touch pad. There is a button but it only activates the same action as clicking the touchpad.
    Looking forward to hearing your feedback :)
  • chrisp 17 May 2017 12:45:41 972 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looking forward to feedback too! Of course, if Amazon had delivered when they said they would I could be playing it myself tonight ...
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 May 2017 12:51:02 30,770 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not the person to believe if you want unbiased feedback about anything ever :p I love ALL THE THINGS! It's a real shame Amazon have screwed up delivery - I think it's a huge chunk of people, going by the Reddit threads in r/PSVR.

I really would've liked a nice optional shoulder stock. I know it wouldn't make sense for every gun, but an optional stock that clips on the bottom rail of the gun (so it doesn't obstruct the buttons) would be nice. I understand why they wouldn't though, as it's not going to line up perfectly for everyone, it'd make it a little too gun-like, and it'd restrict the sort of gun it could represent in games.

Edited by DFawkes at 12:52:38 17-05-2017
  • Ghibli 17 May 2017 12:51:05 169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've mentioned this elsewhere but I've stopped using Amazon for anything expensive and/or time sensitive even though I have prime. Having much better luck with shopto and Argos for most of my gaming orders.

@quadfather yeah, I'm very very partial to not falling over ;)
  • ecu 17 May 2017 12:59:19 79,656 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My Farpoint arrived today as well, I'll report back later after I've given it a go.
  • chrisp 17 May 2017 13:22:01 972 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wish I had ordered from ShopTo to be honest. Better price as well. When I checked the other day they were out of stock so I decided to keep my Amazon order.

Anyway, yes, looking forward to hearing views - biased or not!
  • Ghibli 17 May 2017 16:50:11 169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've enjoyed it for the past hour. Aim functionality is very slick indeed. Strange and at the same time very natural to just aim down the sights​.

It's got every button that the ds4 does bar left and right click on the touch pad. I switched to the control mode that gave me maximum freedom of movement and it felt fine.

The game itself. Well I'm not as curmudgeonly as Ian about it, but it's pretty much as expected. It's not going to set the world alight. That said I did scream like a girl at a couple of points. It's a good piece of kit with a decent experience to try it out on. That's my one hour take on it anyway.
  • chrisp 17 May 2017 17:18:20 972 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What's the rumble like on the Aim controller?
  • Ghibli 17 May 2017 18:25:00 169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fairly strong. It felt pretty realistic from inside the headset for sure.
  • HoriZon 17 May 2017 18:36:02 14,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mine is here too just dont have time to play atm stupid real life!!!!
  • TitanWarlord93 17 May 2017 19:18:14 97 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Okay. To be honest I am impatient so bought it at Argos and going to send the other one I had pre ordered online as soon as it arrives. Will expect the 20 postage back aswell because of the delay.

Dinner first then going to try it out.
  • ecu 17 May 2017 20:53:19 79,656 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Farpoint
    Played it for about half an hour just now, it's quite impressive. In terms of the actual game, it's about what I expected, it has a bit of a tech demo feel about it in many ways but the aim controller works great, it's light, comfortable to hold, and has all the buttons of a regular controller. Graphically it's really nice, definitely on the upper end of the scale of PSVR games in terms of visuals.

For anyone playing this for the first time I'd recommend you immediately go in to the menu and enable turning. It's off by default which is a bit weird. It's a very linear game, it makes sense in VR as they really want you to be facing the camera most of the time so they have to lead you down a forward path. You get the same step-turning and smooth turning that other games (such as RE7) have had, and you can only turn on a horizontal axis. Some of the combat areas open up a bit and maybe it expands more further on.

Couple of little things I really liked:

- The shadow of your character in-game matches your movements to a degree. Obviously if you start waving your hands around it doesn't know, but if you're holding the controller like normal it feels authentic.

- Aiming down sights. Works exactly as you'd hope and feels as good as you'd hope.

- Holding start to bring up the room location overlay along with the camera position. It's there out of necessity but it's great.

- No HUD.

It proves to me that you can make a traditional FPS with VR, but there are limitations that I think will be hard to overcome. I like this game a lot though, I turned it off to watch the footy but already want to go back in.

Edited by ecu at 21:19:04 17-05-2017
  • TitanWarlord93 17 May 2017 21:09:43 97 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Okay finally loading the game now. The problem is that my Aim Controller just seems to not pair to the console. It is charging but it's supposed to be fully charged.

Going to turn my PS4 off, unplug USB, turn it on, plug the USB in, plug it to the AC and see if that works.

Don't know if anyone went through the same thing?

(10:27PM)

Never mind. Found another USB and it works. Just make sure you don't use the one with two ends at the end of it. Haha.

Edited by TitanWarlord93 at 22:27:46 17-05-2017
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 May 2017 22:24:05 30,770 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Afraid not, it paired as easily as any controller for me.

I'm on mobile so won't say a lot on Farpoint, but ecu has put almost exactly what I would :)

I did play a bit Planetside 2 afterwards and immediately missed the ease of pointing and blasting using a real gun. Pointing your aim with a joystick to shoot in a standard FPS feels so clunky when you're used to being able to physically aim down sites and fire right away. I adjusted to the old way quickly though.
  • monkman76 17 May 2017 22:49:00 11,537 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You all sound slightly underwhelmed. However, the Push Square guy did say it picks up as you progress through the campaign. Quite tempted to dive in myself.

Edited by monkman76 at 22:49:18 17-05-2017
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 17 May 2017 23:10:58 30,770 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it so far. It's really solid, well put together and lives up to my expectations. It even exceeds them to an extent as I didn't expect to enjoy the story, but it has really drawn me in.

I'll definitely be back once I've done the story as there's a lot of satisfaction in doing the shooting yourself. For now at least, you'll not get from any other game. The Shotgun in particular is a joy to use and really packs a punch :)
  • HoriZon 18 May 2017 00:32:15 14,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just whacked my Aim on the wall got a bit close knocked a picture off but the controller seems ok :)

Gonna rearrange the room need more space so the coffee table is moving also need a camera exrenstion lead as it's not in the middle of the tv.
  • ChrisOTR 18 May 2017 07:22:42 1,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm really lucky that my wife doesn't like coffee tables, so my lounge is basically a perfect​-if-small VR space. Just by chance the rug is even a close match for the tracked area so I know if I'm close to the edge of it. Unfortunately the lounge is also hotly contested in the evening :-/
  • SteveBUK 18 May 2017 07:23:29 15 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    'Farpoint'

I love it, found it really immersive. Have only played 30 mins but it has given me a few frights already. Yes it's a bit slow, but as said it picks up apparently so really looking forward to spending some time on it.

I didn't really notice the linear part, The graphics are great and shooting is awesome. Fingers crossed for battlefront/ call of duty comparability 😀
  • mattyduk 18 May 2017 08:44:08 25 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    very tempted now on Farpoint, although might need to rearrange the living room a bit as all my VR has been sitting down on storage chair. I've got a 40 amazon voucher coming by the end of the month due to doing some vendor training at work, so that will count nicely to it.

Aside from Farpoint, I finished off the demos last night. Tried Rigs and made the mistake of selecting the masked version - I haven't experienced any issues with motion sickness yet, so should have gone full on. Don't think it's my type of game.

Try to play the Starblood arena (with the US demo download pack), but the only option was "buy", so maybe it's been removed.

Played some more Tumble again. Really like that. Zen like experience. Simple but some great puzzles and immersion.

And finally went back to Driveclub VR demo. I'd been underwhelmed when I'd played the time trial, but ths time I played the race (open top car in town), and really enjoyed it this time. So I had some spare credit left and went and bought it in the current PSN sale. It was downloading last night so will try it tonight.
  • Page

of 200 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.