Stardew Valley - a Harvest Moon type game Page 13

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Zero_g 13 Oct 2017 08:58:45 93 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iím really enjoying the game but Iíve got into a bad habit of clock watching.
    By the time Iíve watered the crops, (easier with golden watering can and a couple of quality sprinklers), milked the cows (started making the cheese) and collected the eggs (started on the mayonnaise), collected the tree saps and honey, emptied (and re-baited) the crab pots, sorted inventory, checked calendar (for birthdays), luck and tomorrowís weather, chopped hardwood in the secret wood itís almost mid day and Iím out of energy.

Loving this game but maybe need to be a bit more relaxed with it.

And as for the townís residents - What do you mean you donít like the gift Iíve given you? It was a lovely egg! Chopsy sod.
    The only one I seem to get on well with is Linus!
  • rice_sandwich 13 Oct 2017 09:03:56 2,886 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Zero_g

Just eat food or go to the baths to regain energy.
  • Thingy 13 Oct 2017 09:11:31 6,308 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You need to add cooking food to that roster, a nice hearty lunch should get you through the rest of the day.

Personally, I bit the bullet and bought gold ore early on so I could craft a bunch of quality sprinklers as the watering was taking too much time.

I haven't touched animal farming yet. I'm still foraging, burrowing down into the mine and fishing for the most part of each day.
  • Zero_g 13 Oct 2017 09:31:02 93 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @rice_sandwich
    @Thingy

I know I know, Iím a frequent patron of the baths. shame thereís no mine cart straight there although I guess I also use totems to move around quicker!

I was just commenting on how the way iíve structured my own approach to the game means that half of the day time is spent maintaining the status quo and is gone before I can really consider how to spend the day.

The truth is of course I donít need to do any of the chores and busy work about the farm but Iíve internalised a routine and an importance to perform the tasks prior to striking out for the day!

My gameplay would not be diminished and the are no in game repercussions (beyond reduced income for the day) for not completing these tasks, the animals and plants donít die but still I do them.
  • Duffking 13 Oct 2017 09:34:03 14,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Thingy Yep! Those two chests are just fishing junk for the recycler and ores/gems for the furnace. Inside I have chests for fruits, fish, mining, farming etc.

How far in are you? I'd like to start doing that stuff but I need a Keg and I'm only at farming level 7 currently. Didn't grow any hops in my first summer so will have to wait until next year.

I wondering what to do now that most of my farming is automated with sprinklers. I'm at level 100 in the mine so that can wait for a bit. Thinking I'll fish and forage mainly now, but also want to start getting animals and growing the farmhouse etc. Might move all my furnaces etc to a more dedicated zone.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Oct 2017 09:38:41 2,886 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Zero_g

I find it better to take a more relaxed approach. I don't try to eke out every coin by pushing everything to the max. Everything will get done in time. Although in saying that it is a very fast paced game for a Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons clone and it's easy to make huge progress in a short space of time.

I'm concentrating on getting to the bottom of the mine. It's getting much more dangerous and I'm having to take care.
  • Duffking 13 Oct 2017 09:53:39 14,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Personally I just plan before I go to sleep what I'll do the next day.

Already put stuff in my inventory that I'll need, make sure I've wrapped up everything the night before that needs doing. Then when I wake up, do the normal tasks, drop off any extra stuff and then spend the rest of the day doing what I want.

I don't really bother checking the calendar etc, I'll probably start working on friendships in the winter.
  • JoelStinty 13 Oct 2017 10:01:03 5,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm slowly unlocking stuff. Haven't gone over board on the plants, but i have been raking in roughly a grand a day in the summer which has enabled me to get the copper axe and watering can. Now got a coal chamb...furnace and making some maple syrup of a tree. Planted a grass area for my dog. Slowly coming together :) Hops are a great summer crop to grow , earn a fair amount of reshoot everyday.
  • Thingy 13 Oct 2017 15:09:11 6,308 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I lucked out with planting a load of hops and wheat during my first summer. They just kept on giving. I'm back into Spring now and the larder is empty. I've started experimenting with wines, but they take too long to brew and aren't worth nearly as much. I've increased the number of kegs to 12 in my newly expanded house so I'm well on the way.
  • Addy_B 13 Oct 2017 15:44:07 1,135 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I've got a kitchen but how do I cook. Do I need recipes from somewhere? I have various food types but no way (that I can see) to use them.
  • Jono62 13 Oct 2017 15:45:42 18,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thingy wrote:
    @Duffking You can put storage boxes and furnaces and stuff outside? I've been cluttering up my house with them.

I also seem to have, by default, become a brewer of Beers and Pale Ales. It's netting me a nice steady income of around 2,000g each day with minimal effort.
    I am not surprised by this.
  • Rhaegyr 13 Oct 2017 15:46:14 3,831 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Adored this game on the PC but after you've done a full year and the community bundles there's not really much new to see.

Anyone else get this feeling?
  • rice_sandwich 13 Oct 2017 15:55:57 2,886 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sort of. It depends on how you approach the game and the mindset that you take. It is indeed possible to mechanically exhaust the game by rushing to do the majority of the important stuff within the first year and revealing most craft recipes etc.

This type of game is better when not rushed. It depends on the player's appetite for revealing secrets and trying grow all crops, ship all goods, maximising all friendships to see all the stories etc. Still, there's 30 or 40 hours of fun before it becomes repetitive.
  • RobAnybody 13 Oct 2017 16:03:06 1,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Adored this game on the PC but after you've done a full year and the community bundles there's not really much new to see.

Anyone else get this feeling?
    Not even slightly - the variety of things and combinations that you can do is huge and there's even five different farm maps to try. You can also experiment with growing different crops, farming different animals, dating different people, and so on. The possibilities are pretty much endless. I also love the atmosphere and relaxing nature of the game which is further enhanced by the excellent soundtrack.
  • RobAnybody 13 Oct 2017 16:07:28 1,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    I've got a kitchen but how do I cook. Do I need recipes from somewhere? I have various food types but no way (that I can see) to use them.
    Yes, you get recipes from various sources - the TV (Queen of Sauce, Wednesdays and Sundays), sometimes NPCs who you have befriended give you a recipe and Gus at the Saloon also has some to buy.
  • Duffking 14 Oct 2017 20:05:37 14,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I spent a while at the autumn fair doing the fishing minigame. Got me a second stamina upgrade now, woop.
  • Derblington 14 Oct 2017 23:25:45 29,206 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hit summer earlier this evening and massively fucked up on day 1. Realised my error and corrected it so that i was ready to go on day 2 but I wasted 5k in doing so. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme as i'll make the money back within a couple of weeks but I'm more annoyed that I did it in the first place.

Still, onwards and upwards.
  • crashVoodoo 15 Oct 2017 01:52:44 5,463 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I fucked up on the first day of summer. Planted loads of seeds and now I'm committed to watering the fucking things. It's lunchtime before I can start other stuff.

Need to upgrade my can or get some sprinklers stat!
  • GuybrushThreepwood 15 Oct 2017 07:03:43 1,020 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I'm in the same boat. Water all morning. Quick forage. Hand over gifts. Chop down a tree and bed.
  • PrivateFloyd 15 Oct 2017 07:33:44 5,018 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I havenít turned this on for a couple of days now and struggling to pluck up the enthusiasm to dive back in to be honest.

It is a little too grindy for my tastes.
  • Zero_g 15 Oct 2017 07:58:11 93 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crashVoodoo
    Itís worth skipping a day of watering to hit up the mine for the mats to upgrade the can to at least steel level.
    Alternately itís relatively easy to do a five level stint in stint in the mine each afternoon. You can then use the lift to immediately hit the levels you need for the appropriate materials! Check you daily luck before selecting your approach.

Thereís something that you can craft that can help you to bypass levels in the mine too.
  • erniewhatbert 15 Oct 2017 09:20:27 2,750 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm stuck at Golf Story but too scared to dive into this (after wishing for it on the Switch for the last three months)!
  • Addy_B 15 Oct 2017 10:05:00 1,135 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I've not played this since weds I think. It's a cracking little game but all of a sudden just can't be arsed with it now.
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Oct 2017 10:10:28 2,463 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Break the cycle of the daily grind. Mix things up! Try something completely different and don't worry so much about the income! Isn't that what we'd all do in real life if it were an option?
  • GuybrushThreepwood 15 Oct 2017 10:13:25 1,020 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Being honest, even though I've just played a session of this, I'm feeling like Addy and Floyd.

Just can't be bothered with watering and wandering around constantly and that Hayley is well up herself. Just reminds me a bit of farmville and I'm kind of wondering what the point is beyond more money to get more stuff to get more money.
  • rice_sandwich 15 Oct 2017 11:00:23 2,886 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's the kind of game that's easy to become tired of. It's better in short bursts. It's really all about resource management and chasing upgrades. The main game loop can certainly become repetitive if you don't mix it up. I just started playing Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns on the 3ds. It's not as fast paced or accessible as Stardew but it's probably the better farming game (although to be fair the mining and fishing aren't as good as Stardew).
  • Tomo 15 Oct 2017 11:52:19 15,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    I havenít turned this on for a couple of days now and struggling to pluck up the enthusiasm to dive back in to be honest.

It is a little too grindy for my tastes.
    Opened up the thread to get a gist of what it's about and this is the main impression I have.

Sounds like those phone games linked at the bottom of gaming websites, albeit without the pay to win aspect :x
  • Toaster05 15 Oct 2017 12:29:06 1,800 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got a bunch of kegs on the go this morning after hitting L8 farming. I didn't initially realise that you could bung in fruit add veg.

Assumed you needed specific (lulz brewing joke) ingredients. So I've bunged in a load of potatoes. Vodka here we come!
  • Duffking 15 Oct 2017 12:40:10 14,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm coming up on the end of fall. I've spent a ton of money this season so I've got about as much going out as going in.

I've:

Expanded the house
    Built a shed
    Built a stable
    Started a brewery
    Overhauled the farm to use quality sprinklers
    Bought some furniture

Few days left of the season so need to go mining to top up on Iron as I've run out. Unlocked the recipe for wild winter seeds so hopefully will still be able to do a little farming for income over the winter, otherwise I'll just do a lot of mining, fishing and foraging. But with a horse.

Total earnings of the farm so far of 196,111g, so I think I've made about 100k this autumn.
  • Toaster05 15 Oct 2017 14:40:16 1,800 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got to the bottom of the mine today. Ooooo mysterious!!!

Think I know what to do next but it may take some time to get it done.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.