Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Infamous 2nd Son

+ A great showpiece for the ps4
    + Solid and interesting gameplay mechanics
    + Excellent graphic effects
    + Story is told well....

- ...but the story itself is predictable and pedestrian
    - Not all powers available until the end of the game...
    - Short story campaign
    - Repetitive gameplay
    - Dull and lifeless open world playground
    - Side missions are hit and miss
    - Bullet sponges, even when your meant to be gaining power

A solid game but a pedestrian and forgettable one, a nice showcase for the ps4 with its excellent textures, draw distances and stable framerate for the most part. I never thought id find an open world 3rd person action game short but it is and the story never really amounts to anything barring some high points towards the end.

6/10
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Apr 2014 07:32:37 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Titanfall - Xbox One

Campaigns finished and up to Gen 5.

Really, REALLY excellent game - Respawn have produced a piece of magic on their first go and they deserve praise for what they've accomplished.

Yes, the campaign is lacking meat BUT, it does what any FPS campaign is supposed to do : provides a training ground to help you learn the game.

Fast, fluid gameplay (as a pilot) is brilliantly designed and heavy, powerful gameplay as a Titan is surprisingly tactical and very empowering.

If you're an FPS fan, you MUST play this game. Simple.

9/10
    Im lvl 49, just about to G up! 20 hours in and I agree re a lot of your points. It is a brilliant game. I do think the campaign could have had more meat and lore, hopefully that will come, in T2. I tend to measure a lot of campaigns to the Gears series, although in 3rd person of course. You can have a full campaign and have an excellent online fps.
    I'd like to see some "campaign" DLC as part of the season pass, not sure it will happen though. Got to give credit to Respawn though : they created a universe that is interesting enough that people WANT more story related to it.

Rare in an FPS these days.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• coomber 28 Apr 2014 13:37:07 323 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    coomber wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Final fantasy x on the vita.

Beautiful ending as well. I think I have something in my eye.

Glad it wasn't just me! High five ;-)
    And I just started x2...

Um...
    Er...
    What the?
    Um. ..
    I never played the sequel. Just never got round to it. I take it it isn't so good?
  • RyanDS 28 Apr 2014 13:39:41 9,058 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is about a girl band high fiving each other and striking Charlie's angels poses while j pop blares out.

Well the first hour is at least.
  • superbob85 28 Apr 2014 15:28:56 1,730 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Just finished Assassins Creed Revelations thought it was ok the characters could have been used better. All in all a decent end to the Ezio Auditore story. 8/10
  • Gunzberg 29 Apr 2014 14:44:20 1,730 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dark Souls 2 PC (44 hours) 9/10

Played as a sorceror which was not a lot of fun due to squishyness and lack of dps. That changes right at the end game where you get a nice Staff in the Undead Crypt and then the Staff of Wisdom. After that you can lol as someone tries to invade you and you 1 shot them from a huge distance.

Atmosphere-wise DS 1 was better but overall this is my favourite Souls-type game. The gameplay and design improvements take out a huge amount of the unnecessary frustration and game-padding (not the difficulty). Being able to buy certain raw materials instead of having to do NG++++ until infinity or more frequent bonfires make this a better game. Multiplayer as seemless as ever. Story also much clearer with more thought behind it.

Where the game falls down is in the genericness of the individual areas (all seen before as far as their type is concerned), the graphics that really are nothing to shout about apart from the lighting and the fact that the world is lacking connectivity. From an art design perspective DS 1 was better.

Near 50 hours pumped in over 3-4 days since release have been quite satisfying. I'd recommend it to newcomers to the Souls series and to veterans.

The embrace of the dark is gentle...

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• YenooR 29 Apr 2014 15:29:18 529 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FarCry 3
    I really enjoyed it, good story and as for the soundtrack excellent.
    9/10
  • superbob85 29 Apr 2014 16:50:30 1,730 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Just started that on 360 only about an hour and a half in really enjoying it so far.
  • HarryPalmer 29 Apr 2014 18:33:59 3,107 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes - 9/10

Update of previous review. Now completed all the missions, including Deja Vu, and I'm still hungry for more. It plays really well, it's nostalgic, and comforting and reminds me why MGS on the PS1 remains one of my favourite games to this day. I cannot wait for the full game.
  • HarryPalmer 29 Apr 2014 18:33:59 3,107 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • kentmonkey 29 Apr 2014 18:35:55 20,440 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sigh

Thread fix
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Apr 2014 18:46:55 14,393 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Sigh

Thread fix
    Kent are you still after the Greg Davies dvd/BR, if so watch the charity thread in the coming days :)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• kentmonkey 29 Apr 2014 19:17:16 20,440 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 indeed I am

/F5s

/not the Brock Lesnar kind
  • Adv 30 Apr 2014 00:07:55 1,413 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Not really a game to complete, but I'm done with it.

Town of Salem

It's a free online game where you're each assigned a role in secret and have to find the murders before they take out all the good guys. Some roles allow you to investigate, others to manipulate. It's fun for a while, but I felt it was a big one sided. Even when you investigate, you can still get false info and it soon becomes a guessing game of who's the real villains. You can't really work to a tactic nor get others on your side unless it is staring them in the face. It's a good, fun idea that's let down by some annoying things.

Edited by Adv at 00:10:36 30-04-2014
  • Kanjin 30 Apr 2014 00:51:14 1,052 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Old Republic: Bounty Hunter storyline, Makeb storyline.

Not bad, Bounty Hunter bit of a let down at the end but there were a few improvements in the expansion that I appreciated: quicker taxis, expanded dialogue from your character, and the last boss was pretty hilarious, but still good. All that lies ahead is farming for gear, great.
  • HarryPalmer 1 May 2014 08:50:53 3,107 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite - Burial at Sea Episode 1 - 6/10

A missed opportunity. The first ten minutes are good, when you get to 'explore' Rapture in it's pomp, but you are then shifted out to an area that that feels like a rejected level from the first two games, lacking any atmosphere or distinguishing features.

The story is unnecessary and doesn't add anything of interest. The fetch quest style gameplay has run it's course, especially when the story isn't compelling enough to drive the player forward. It all feels really arbitrary.

Don't get me started on the bloody sky rails (WHY ARE THEY THERE?).

An open world Rapture (even a small part) before it all goes tits up, with minimal combat, would be sweet, but it's never going to happen.

Oh well, on to episode 2.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 08:53:31 01-05-2014
  • Ultrasoundwave 1 May 2014 10:16:30 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    iNfamous - Second Son

Nice game - lovely to look at, better characters/actors then the previous two and a better story.

Not so fussed on the open world (Seattle looks depressing as fuck) and the combat isn't a big enough step up from the previous two.

Definitely a step in the right direction for the series, but still not a classic.

Oh, and its very short, especially for an open-world sandbox game.

7/10

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kinky_mong 1 May 2014 10:42:33 9,958 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lego Marvel Superheroes

Can't really complain about the amount of content in the game, and the gameplay is solid if unadventurous. Think I'm just a bit tired of the formula of Lego games now.

7/10

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Zomoniac 1 May 2014 12:31:28 7,792 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Medal Of Hono(u)r (2010) - 360

Got from LoveFilm a few years ago, played a couple of hours, decided it was shit and ditched it. For reasons unknown to me, saw it new for £3 recently so bought it and spent a few hours going through the rest (thought I was halfway through when I left it, was only about 20% in). It's shit, in that it's CoD without the polish, and even more racial profiling. And yet it's strangely fun. Probably just because I haven't played an identikit military shooter since MW2 so don't have the fatigue I might have back when I first tried it. It's still not good, but it's fine.

• coomber 2 May 2014 11:48:27 323 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

I was gutted when I heard the planned console remake of this had been canned. Having now played this on my MacBook, I am even more gutted.

A great game that is spoiled purely by one thing - the use of Bioware’s awful Aurora engine, which was bad enough when they brought it out for Neverwinter Nights, let alone years later.

But ignoring the terrible pathfinding, UI, and other technical glitches, a great RPG. Love the fact there is never an obvious right or wrong - none of this ‘Blue option for nice people, red option for bad people’ nonsense. Bioware, take note!

8/10
  • Gunzberg 3 May 2014 14:30:59 1,730 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Child of Light PC 9/10

Digital magic.

Enjoyed the story, the environments, the characters and the battle system The rhymes were hit or miss though

• PazJohnMitch 3 May 2014 16:00:09 7,793 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ground Zeroes

Main mission is a bit dull and even the relatively pinned back Hideo-syncracies were too much.

The controls for the first time ever in an MGS game were excellent and made it a joy to play.

Replayed the missions many times to get S rankings and really enjoyed doing so.

8/10
  • Wavey 3 May 2014 16:44:53 353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @HarryPalmer Agree with you on all points. Luckily I found episode 2 to be much better. Let be know what you think!
  • Adv 3 May 2014 16:50:41 1,413 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    GTA5

Enjoyed it. The story was good in its goofy comedy way and the heist missions were a lot of fun. The only thing I'm not sure on is how it ended. Felt like it was missing an ending to each character and what they did next.
  • hypoBla5t 3 May 2014 18:26:30 1,360 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Persona 4 Golden

Started slow, but I knew it was winding up to something good. Fun until about August then really trailed off for me. Never really got going again, got repetitive and dull, and the debacle with the endings around Christmas time was almost the last straw. Struggled on to the end.

Shame really as I was really psyched for this game but IMO it doesn't compare favourably to P3P, P4G had a better group of friends I think and I loved the idea of the TV world but I just couldn't enjoy this one as much.

8/10
  • jabberwoky 3 May 2014 18:40:05 465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lost oddyssey. Second playthrough. Great game.
  • Gunzberg 3 May 2014 19:36:21 1,730 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @hypoBla5t I am 40 hours in and in January of the next year. It's a total trudge now to finish it and I keep putting it aside even there are only 5-6 hours left.

• bladdard 4 May 2014 11:37:29 899 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Brothers a tale of two sons

Absolutely wonderful, lovely game. Yes it has it's faults and frustrations but the atmosphere and story make them completely forgivable.

Reminds me of ICO and Journey but set in a fantastic fairytale universe.

9/10

Edited by bladdard at 11:38:01 04-05-2014
  • TurboBailey 4 May 2014 20:27:29 686 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been on a mission finishing off half completed games this weekend.

Tomb Raider (PC) - 8/10 [14 hours]
    Really good game, looks stunning and plays very well. Story started slow but ramps up to an all action finale. Very enjoyable. Didn't like the wooden acting, the dodgy accomplices and Laras being quite moronic. Did like the level design, the music, the amazing graphics. But kept thinking "poor mans uncharted" all the way through. Glad I finished, doubt I will play it again.

GTA 5 (PS3) 9/10 (40 Hours)
    Finished the main story but still got loads to do. My interest in this faded after I bought it and only recently went back to it. Glad I did. The game is so much fun. I really hope its released on PC because its crying out to go next gen. Shocked at how much I like online, its like a whole new game. The game is just so massive I dont think I will ever find everything, apparently there is a Harrier jump jetsomewhere, I never found it. Bad Ass!

Grid 2 (PC) 9/10 (30 Hours)
    Nearly 100% finished it. I love racing games and if you can ignore some of the bad design decisions and dumbing down codemasters have done - you will see that there is a very decent racing game in there soemwhere. Very pretty game, a lot of fun. Looking forward to Grid Autosport

Sim City (PC) 3/10 (20 hours)
    I really wanted to like this game but its just not very good. Again, dodgy design and dumbing down of the game for the masses has ruined a great series. Really pissed off I spent so much money on it. Its really shit.

Edited by TurboBailey at 20:28:45 04-05-2014
  • HarryPalmer 6 May 2014 10:44:54 3,107 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Wavey - Yep, MUCH better!

Burial at Sea - Episode 2 - 9/10

A huge improvement over episode 1 - and a fitting way to complete the Rapture story arc (although I'd happily play more). If Infinite re-framed the Bioshock story, then Episode 2 adds some breathtaking details.

It gets so much right: a main protagonist that you care about, an engaging story, fascinating locations (this time Rapture springs loads of surprises), minimal combat (still too much for my taste, but the stealth aspect works really well), and a really satisfying conclusion.

I don't know why they didn't make it all one episode and cut all the filler from Episode 1, as this one has tons more content.

The fetch quest style gameplay is still cumbersome, and I just want to be left to explore, without the fiddly combat. The world has so much depth that it needs to be savoured, so it's frustrating that the game does it's best to funnel you through it.

Now on to Minerva's Den, and then I'm done with Rapture for a while.
  • Page

of 405 First / Last