Recently Completed Games Page 387

• Page

of 409 First / Last

• MatMan562 1 Mar 2014 19:09:09 2,372 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

I consider myself quite a big fan of the AC series but AC III left me largely disappointed, if this game had been equally as bad I'd probably have given up on the franchise. Fortunately it's a mostly excellent game! All of the piratey aspects of the game are fantastic, Edward Kenway is a much, much better character than Connor, there's a load of collectibles to find (most of which actually give you something at some point), the world is pretty large and it all looks gorgeous!

Where the game is let down is in the tailing missions which are much more common than they should be. They're frustrating as hell and should only be used in maybe 5 missions in a whole AC game. Most of the time you have to do at least a little bit of tailing before you can kill your target, why not just put them in the place you want me to take them down to begin with, Ubisoft? Fortunately though, they are just about bearable and don't ruin the rest of the game.

I'd say AC IV is just as good as AC II and Brotherhood, I'm not sure the order I'd put those 3 in mind.

9/10

Pokemon X

Finally finished this today after owning it since day of release. It's pretty standard pokemon stuff but if you're a fan like I am (I grew up on it all, I never stood a chance) then it's pretty amazing. It's certainly the best game in the series. I think my biggest complaint with it is that the starter pokemon's evolutions pretty much all suck, but thankfully you get an original starter early on as well so that didn't matter too much. I would like to see more innovation in the series but in doing so they'd risk ruining something that's already great so it is a risky one. A proper home console game needs to come out soon though!

9/10

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• DUFFMAN5 1 Mar 2014 19:12:14 14,540 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished Left Behind once again a stunning game. 10/10. I love the world that ND have created.
    Still one of the only games to bring a tear to my eye, that is some powerful stuff.
    Bravo

...Back to Thief

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Wunty_Phyve 1 Mar 2014 20:08:11 1,036 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @DUFFMAN5 god I saw your name in this and thought you'd finished Thief already ha ha.
  • Gunzberg 1 Mar 2014 21:59:15 1,731 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Killzone Mercenary 85%

+ Proper campaign, with decent script and voice acting
    + Nicely weighted feel of gunplay
    + Primary weapons, secondary weapons and special weapons and kit are all fantastic. Great to use and feel right
    + Top class graphics (Ps3 like)

- MP totally unbalanced, once one person gets a UAV it's game over and no fun. Another game ruined by killstreaks. Also frequent connection issues

Summary: Great purchase on the Vita

It also feels nice to shoot some ISA in the story missions

Edited by Gunzberg at 21:59:49 01-03-2014

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• SomaticSense 2 Mar 2014 11:31:39 8,132 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Gunzberg

Hmm. I hated it. Graphics aside I disagree with everything you posted.

The campaign feels slight. The story is 'generic FPS circa 2002' awful with truly terrible dialogue, and the gameplay, gunplay, and level design is similarly belonging of a bland 2002 era PS2 shooter, only with added ridiculously uncomfortable Vita controls (not the game's fault, to be fair).
  • Gunzberg 2 Mar 2014 11:38:49 1,731 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SomaticSense

All I can say is that I enjoyed it far more than CoD Ghosts and I never had an issue with the controls. I realise that all the levels have an industrial feel but for me that IS Killzone, so no surprises there. But each to his own opinion :-)

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Deleted user 2 March 2014 12:18:45
    I rarely play an FPS, heck I failed to complete 2 (I think considered) top first person shooters on my laptop - FEAR 3 and Crysis 2, just because I got bored early into the game. What I want to say is that I enjoyed the Vita's Killzone Mercenary and completed it. I don't know if it was the shortness of story, or a different - handheld experience but I somehow enjoyed it more.
    If someone could convince me those 2 above mentioned are worth it, I'd totally give them a second, er, shot.

Also I forgot to mention beating Super Mario 3d Land on my 3DS, well all levels/special levels complete. Not all star medals yet, but I struggle to do that as some medals must be ridiculously well hidden as I just can't find them. The game was fun though. A 9/10 fun.

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 12:23:09 02-03-2014
  • BloodMountain88 2 Mar 2014 15:43:43 142 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Last of Us

+ Great story and characters
    + Good selection of weapons and items that were all useful
    + Emphasis on exploration - not just action all the time
    + Challening, mostly for the right reasons

- Enemy AI is quite easy to exploit at times
    - Occasionally dodgy checkpoint system
    - Friendly AI running around in front of enemies, enemies holding guns not dropping gun ammo etc tend to ruin your immersion in the game world
    - Didn't particularly enjoy the way the last level just chucked wave after wave of enemies at you (albeit waves you can sneak past)
    - Stingy trophy list

Definitely one of the better games from last year, but best game ever made? I'm not so sure.

8/10 - would have been 9/10 if it hadn't been for the technical issues
  • Paulie_P 2 Mar 2014 23:56:44 413 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Outlast
    Scariest game I've played in years. Even when I knew what the trick was, the game still knows how to racket up the tension. I was shaking by the end of every session I played.

The sound plays a big part in the game, from the main characters rapid breathing to the clank, clank of your pursuers. Use of the night vision camera was well done, you always had just enough batteries but never really enough to make you feel comfortable.

It's also short enough not to overstay it's welcome so I'm likely to replay it to get all the trophies.

9/10
  • rockavitch 3 Mar 2014 08:04:29 295 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite. Decent game ruined by the ending. 7/10

Follow me on Twitter @MikeRockavitch ... from a distance of course ... No fat chicks ...

• hypoBla5t 3 Mar 2014 08:12:58 1,388 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dragon's Crown (Vita)

I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish, and couldn't really find much wrong with it. Completed it on normal, hard and infernal difficulties with my Amazon and reached level 102. The trek up to level 255 does look appealing but unfortunately I've got too much other stuff to play.

I enjoyed the art style a lot, and thought the combat was satisfying, fast and stylish, all backed up with a nice skill tree system. Character classes are interesting and varied and the whole package ends up being very polished and addictive.

The drop-in-drop-out multiplayer is excellent done and the multiplier system that gives extra xp, gold and loot for successive levels had me hooked for hours.

Highly recommended 9/10
  • Kichijoten 3 Mar 2014 08:17:24 1,105 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    What didn't you like about it?

Alan wake: American Nightmare.

Combat tweaked and improved, new enemies, great visuals, great atmosphere, interesting continuation of the story, nerve shredding arcade mode.

Only negative is the size but it is a cheap arcade title so kind of a moot point. I didn't remind repeating sections as each time the events were changed and it fit what was happening. Oh and story mode was too easy on xbox, pc has nightmare mode which was brilliant in AW but they never patched the PC version.

9/10
  • Zomoniac 3 Mar 2014 09:22:10 7,821 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea 1 (PS3)

Well that was short. Like, really short. About 01:20 by my count and I wasn't trying to do it quickly. But an hour of BI is still better than 5 hours of most games. The new plasmid is fun, the scenery is lovely, and it flows very nicely.

• Armoured_Bear 3 Mar 2014 09:40:31 10,511 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    rockavitch wrote:
    Bioshock Infinite. Decent game ruined by the ending. 7/10
    WTF?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• DFawkes 3 Mar 2014 09:48:55 22,762 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WTFs should be reserved for the times where you see a man pooing on a cat in the street, a man in McDonalds asking for a Whopper then peeling his face off with a sharpened coin, or Tipping Point still existing. I don't think someone having an opinion is really a WTF moment at all. Then again, maybe it is. I don't know, it's Monday morning.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• rockavitch 3 Mar 2014 09:54:57 295 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Wasn't particularly a bad ending, I just didn't care, no idea why as I enjoyed it up to after the Zeppelins. Just left me thinking "meh", probably ruined by others hyping the ending (friends and online) so credits started rolling, looked at girlfriend, sighed and shook head and started up DMC.

Follow me on Twitter @MikeRockavitch ... from a distance of course ... No fat chicks ...

• Armoured_Bear 3 Mar 2014 10:24:06 10,511 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    WTFs should be reserved for the times where you see a man pooing on a cat in the street, a man in McDonalds asking for a Whopper then peeling his face off with a sharpened coin, or Tipping Point still existing. I don't think someone having an opinion is really a WTF moment at all. Then again, maybe it is. I don't know, it's Monday morning.
    Everything on a Monday morning is a WTF for me...

• DFawkes 3 Mar 2014 10:25:54 22,762 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fair point :)

• Armoured_Bear 3 Mar 2014 10:28:27 10,511 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    rockavitch wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Wasn't particularly a bad ending, I just didn't care, no idea why as I enjoyed it up to after the Zeppelins. Just left me thinking "meh", probably ruined by others hyping the ending (friends and online) so credits started rolling, looked at girlfriend, sighed and shook head and started up DMC.
    Well, each to their own and all that but I thought that the ending was the highlight of the game, I never saw any of it coming, I was very impressed by it.

• Mola_Ram 3 Mar 2014 10:36:30 7,154 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For me, it all came in a bit of a rush. It was like watching a movie where the twist is at the end, and is just some guy explaining everything for 15-20 minutes. It felt... inelegant.

Still a great game, though!
  • Deleted user 3 March 2014 11:42:19
    Battlefield 4 (PS4)

Single player was a bit of a surprise as I didn't bother finishing 3. Lovely visuals, silky smooth frame rate and epic sounds.

• superbob85 3 Mar 2014 11:45:29 1,786 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Medal of Honor 360 thought it was ok for what it is I wanted a straight forward FPS and it's what I expected. Graphics good in places then awful in others. I would give it 6/10.
  • SomaticSense 3 Mar 2014 13:22:59 8,132 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    For me, it all came in a bit of a rush. It was like watching a movie where the twist is at the end, and is just some guy explaining everything for 15-20 minutes. It felt... inelegant.

Still a great game, though!
    I was fairly knackered by all the action at that point, so it was a relief to be able to wind down with the really quite interesting story exposition, with some truly astounding scenery accompanying it. And it's not like it asked you to put the controller down and watch a half hour cutscene either.

I thought it was really well done.Any other direction they could've gone - Horde siege, boss fight, sudden credit sequence - would've been much, much worse. I mean, who remember's Bioshock 1's ending as being anything other than inappropriate and unsatisfying?

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:28:48 03-03-2014
  • Mola_Ram 3 Mar 2014 13:29:02 7,154 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I guess I would have preferred the exposition to be portioned out through the game, rather than having pretty much all of it at the end.

But it's not really a huge problem or anything. I was more disappointed with the final battle, tbh, not with what came after.
  • SomaticSense 3 Mar 2014 13:31:02 8,132 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh god, I completely forgot that awful battle sequence! That was pretty misguided...
  • jabberwoky 4 Mar 2014 12:44:53 496 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After playing and enjoying bioshock infinite, I wanted to play the original bioshock, and so I did. (My xbox said disc unreadable but after deleting all my old bioshock saves on the hd, it suddenly decided to play it, bizarre but true, have absolutely no idea why). Anyway it was a great second experience at it, and I think the game was better than infinite, better gameplay, more open environments, the ability to backtrack. There was nothing quite like the little sisters and big daddys, although lizzie was admittedly a cool addition in infinite. An easy 10.

Edited by jabberwoky at 18:54:09 04-03-2014
  • sirtacos 4 Mar 2014 14:40:30 7,272 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Neverwinter Nights 2

Terrible controls, fiddly camera, the most abysmal companion AI I've seen outside of a Bethesda game. The voice acting is about on par with the first Witcher (mostly awful) but without the rough charm. The writing is decent and does an admirable job of livening up an otherwise generic campaign. One that is at times suspiciously similar to Baldur's Gate 2.

The combat is slow, the exploration bits can be tedious. The companion characters are either bland, irritating, or both. Even the looting and levelling up somehow manage to be dull.
    The final boss fight is interminable and the ending is underwhelming.

It does have its high points. Act 2 is quite good and the Trial is great.

Overall it was mediocre and while I don't regret my time with it, I feel relief at finally having finished it. Not a good sign. To be perfectly honest, if it weren't for the existence of weed, I would have given up during Act 3. Maybe sooner.

Looking forward to playing the supposedly vastly superior Mask of the Betrayer.

4.5/10

Edited by sirtacos at 14:50:22 04-03-2014
  • Stranded87 4 Mar 2014 19:13:05 882 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Neverwinter Nights 2

Terrible controls, fiddly camera, the most abysmal companion AI I've seen outside of a Bethesda game. The voice acting is about on par with the first Witcher (mostly awful) but without the rough charm. The writing is decent and does an admirable job of livening up an otherwise generic campaign. One that is at times suspiciously similar to Baldur's Gate 2.

The combat is slow, the exploration bits can be tedious. The companion characters are either bland, irritating, or both. Even the looting and levelling up somehow manage to be dull.
    The final boss fight is interminable and the ending is underwhelming.

It does have its high points. Act 2 is quite good and the Trial is great.

Overall it was mediocre and while I don't regret my time with it, I feel relief at finally having finished it. Not a good sign. To be perfectly honest, if it weren't for the existence of weed, I would have given up during Act 3. Maybe sooner.

Looking forward to playing the supposedly vastly superior Mask of the Betrayer.

4.5/10
    Woah. I loved it (well it was maybe a 9/10 for me anyway). Then again that was back at release and I tried playing the supposedly superior Mask of the Betrayer recently and just couldn't be bothered, so maybe none of it's aged well.
  • DFawkes 4 Mar 2014 22:31:17 22,762 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bravely Default

Absolutely fantastic game. Excellent combat system on top of a well designed world that really shines in 3D, with a great cast of characters with a reasonably good voice cast and just an engaging story.

It also made good use of StreetPass and using your online friends to expand the experience. I can't think of much I didn't enjoy, though there is one aspect of the story that'll put a lot of people off. If it bothers you, you can skip a lot of quests and cut the last section down to about 2-3 hours (or less if you don't mind a different ending), but I loved it so it was about halfway though my 70 hours.

As that section went on, it really goes into detail about all the characters you've met and their motivations, with their relationship with your 4 warriors of light changing until it all builds to the final epic battle! As I say, I can totally understand people getting fed up of those sections of the story, especially if they didn't find the story engaging, but I loved it.

There is one main problem I had. The combat system allows you to chose different jobs for your party and level them up in different skills, but this means you can get it "wrong". Sure, you'll trundle along fine again random battles (which you can switch those off if you want), but it won't necessarily be clear that there are better jobs for later bosses. Generally you can make most things work, but if you get it very wrong you can really make it significantly harder for yourself.

Heck, if I didn't take advantage of certain loopholes in the job system that could render you literally invincible, I'd never have got past the final few bosses. It's more a fault with me rather than the game, but it did almost cause me to give up on the last hour or so. I'm glad I didn't though, as once I set my team up right it was an enjoyable breeze.

Bravely Second should be great, as there's a lot of the story that can be expanded upon, with certain plot threads left dangling at the end.

9/10

• RyanDS 5 Mar 2014 07:35:16 9,165 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rayman Legends on PS4

Well I have 560/700 things and I don't see myself getting too many more.

Fantastic game. The best score I have ever heard, some amazing gameplay and just incredible amounts of content. Castle Rock is also the most fum 60 seconds of gaming I have had in years.

10/10
  • Page

of 409 First / Last