Hotline Miami

The good:

Awesome soundtrack
    Quick reloads after dying
    Decent challenge
    Retro aesthetic

The bad:
    Quite short could have done with another couple hours
    Poor gamepad support in menus (PC version)

Overall a great game wish I bought it sooner

9/10

Edited by Rens11 at 22:53:58 14-07-2013

Donít kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, heíd eat you and everyone you care about!

• Cadence 14 Jul 2013 19:42:04 1,687 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it better with a mouse/keyboard?
  • Rens11 14 Jul 2013 22:51:44 1,404 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry only tried with controller!

Donít kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, heíd eat you and everyone you care about!

• NimbleMinx 14 Jul 2013 23:01:35 85 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fable III
    It's not my type of game, but was free on XBL so I gave it a look. First hour and a half was dull, then the map world opened up a little more giving you more interesting things to do and see. It's still a fairly linear game though and quite short if you go straight for the main storyline. Some of the achievements are just fillers that some bright spark came up with/seriously every item slog collection achievements for very little G, so I skipped those.
    The fighting & quests were fun and I very much enjoyed the gnomes abusiveness towards me. All in all I'd give it a 6/10. And my 'yeah it's worth one playthrough' rating.
  • samharper 15 Jul 2013 02:31:03 24 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LEGO Batman 2 (PS3)

I used to play the LEGO Star Wars games a lot when I was younger, but this is the first LEGO game I've completed to 100% since LEGO Star Wars II. The levels are very well designed with less of the completely obtuse puzzles found in earlier games, and the co-op is still top notch, and can now have split screen permanently enabled instead of that horrific dynamic split screen. The hub world of Gotham is fun to explore (although some shocking pop-up issues occur, especially on split-screen), and the variety of costumes means the gameplay is diverse. There are also the masses of extra characters to unlock, red/gold bricks to find, studs everywhere, and great voiceovers for the cutscenes, new for this game.

Looking forward to LEGO Marvel with much anticipation!

9/10
  • Bremenacht 15 Jul 2013 11:38:54 18,275 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Cadence

Cadence wrote:
    It's doable, but I found it a pain in the arse. I've ordered a 360 Wireless dongle to try it with a pad.
  • Kay 15 Jul 2013 12:27:56 17,888 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Last of Us

Certainly the best example of a cinematic AAA game I've played. Very story-driven and cut-scene heavy at times, but with a brilliantly understated script and narrative. Although the gameplay is predictable for the most part, it does take a few surprising turns during the second half of the game.

Enemy AI behaviour is inconsistent which can ruin the immersion in some sections. A few graphical glitches and bugs take away some of the sheen from the high production values, and I also had issues with it not saving properly in some areas.

9/10

Edited by Kay at 12:29:35 15-07-2013
  • JiveHound 15 Jul 2013 17:49:04 2,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Last Of Us.

Very impressed. A lobotomised chimp could've seen the end game a mile off. In the dark. Blindfolded. However the characters were so strong and their reactions to their ordeal so note perfect it didn't matter.

The infected being mushroom men added just that little twist too, they never overplayed their card with them instead concentrating mainly on man's crime to man when the end has come.

Everything was well handled, all the mechanics worked and the pacing was generally exquisite. The game felt like the perfect length.

Two things hold it back from a perfect ten for me. Firstly the AI is little more than adequate often stumbling into that of dim-witted. With everything else being so polished the fact that the enemies and companion AI are actually pretty thick proves to be a massive disconnect. In infected areas where clickers are everywhere and silence is paramount my buddies would dart around the area, getting in my way and generally making a din. The game doesn't punish me for the obvious eccentricities of my fucktard friends but it does pull you out of the game. Surely some decent pathfinding could have been implemented?

Also, I would liked to have had some input on the story. It's an affecting plot with great charactisation to boot but a little bit of direction on the part of the player would have led to even more emotional investment. The events make sense but I myself would have done things different in the end and it would have been nice to actually do the difficult thing for once.

All in all a fantastic achievement thus representing a leap in terms of video game narrative and a massive technical accomplishment in the last throes of the current gen.

Joel and Ellie will be sure to stay with me.

Edited by JiveHound at 17:50:41 15-07-2013

Edited by JiveHound at 17:51:14 15-07-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Megapocalypse 15 Jul 2013 18:08:49 5,427 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

It was about a quid in the steam sale so picked it up (and the sequels which I never played despite loving this). It hasn't aged well.

The environments look as good as you can expect a 14 year old game to look. They're large, brown and very empty. Technically though the game is fantastic for its time. The world is huge will no visible loading screens and seemless switching from the material to the spectral realms.

Gameplay is basically a lot of block pushing puzzles and backtracking repeatedly through the same areas killing the same enemies to get to more block pushing puzzles. The addition of the alternate spectral world is still cool though.

Combat is simple with one attack button and that's it; no blocking or dodging. You basically just wave an overpowered sword around blindly and hope you don't get hit before the enemy dies. If you get hit your sword disappears and you have to use the environment to kill things, which is shit as once you get the sword the developers forgot to put environmental weapons in the environment.

Soundwise though the game is still great. The music suits and doesn't get repetitive, and the voice acting is still some of the best in gaming.

It was great for its time but doesn't stand up today. Better off reading the wikipedia summary and watching the cutscenes on youtube.
  • coomber 15 Jul 2013 18:22:53 329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Game Of Thrones

A fantastic RPG that's hamstrung by the usual tie-in low budget problems. Graphics barely look current gen. There are more bugs than you can shake a stick at. The AI of both the NPCs and your own party members is set to 'lobotomised'. And the camera is hopeless whenever you're fighting inside.

But it's a great story that has all the hallmarks of the TV show (and, presumably, the books), the mechanics are sound, it's well balanced and it has some novel ideas. Being able to take over the shapeshifter's dog turns the game into a first-person stealth game, which is great fun. And some of the quests can be solved multiple ways. Like the books, you never know who to trust.

For fans of the books/show I definitely do not hesitate in recommending it. For anyone else, if you like your RPGs to be bells-and-whistles, then it's not for you, but if you can overlook a game's technical misgivings for the sake of a good, meaty RPG with great tactical combat, you could do a lot worse.

6/10
  • SolidSCB 15 Jul 2013 19:06:30 6,725 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Walking Dead: 400 Days

Not a lot there, but what you do get raises enough questions and builds a lot of intrigue into where Season 2 might be headed. A couple of little bits from the choices you made in Season 1 filtered in too, which was really cool.

A nice little stopgap, I absolutely can not wait for Season 2!

8/10
  • CharlieStCloud 15 Jul 2013 20:20:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    ... pad, pad, pad!

The keyboard and mouse sucks for Hotline Miami.
  • Rhaegyr 15 Jul 2013 21:00:15 1,716 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Cadence wrote:
    ... pad, pad, pad!

I dunno - I didn't have that many issues with the K+M. It definitely helps with throwing and aiming/strafing too.
  • kentmonkey 15 Jul 2013 21:37:13 20,686 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A diary of Ni No Kuni

Day one

Mom, I miss you. And I've decided that somehow, someway, I'm going to make things right and bring you back. I've met this really neato guy called Drippy. He's swell. And Welsh. He's Lord High Lord of the Fairies, and I just know he's going to help me find you. Which would be really neato.

Day two

Although I miss you, mom, I'm really enjoying this journey to bring you back. It's been really neato. My adorable little Welsh friend, Drippy, has taken me to his world and he's even taught me this new trick to mend broken hearts. It appears that there are a few people in Drippy's world who have been left broken hearted. Which is a terrible thing. But I'm going to put that right. This world is really neato as well, dangerous, but I feel like I've got the powers, alongside my Welsh sidekick, to tackle anything.

Day three

Although I canít wait to see you again Mom, this place is so beautiful I never want our journey to end. Iím getting used to using familiars to do battle for me and Iím learning some really neato spells. Iíve even met a tree that spoke to me.

Day four

I've met this really cool girl called Esther, Mom. I managed to mend her broken heart and she has agreed to join me on my quest. She has a familiar too, and I just know we're going to get on swell.

Day five

Fixed a few more people with broken hearts. I'm sure pleased to help people, but there are so many of them, and it's tiring running around town swapping pieces of heart around.

Day six

Apparently we each have another version of ourselves in the other world and when something happens to us in one world, it can affect the Ďusí in the other world. So to cure some of the people in this world, I need to travel back home to Earth to cure them in my world, which is neato. As Iím from Earth and not from this world, I wonder who the Ďmeí in this world isÖI canít wait to find out and so far there have been no clues whatsoever. Not one. Iím sure I really have no idea who it could be.

Day seven

Some of the people here have started to display some odd communicational behaviour. Now only about one in ten conversations are spoken, while the rest are mimed. Iím trying to adjust and do the same, so Iíve restricted myself to saying just a few words, such as neato. Which the locals seem to really like.

Day eight

More broken hearts fixed today, including a couple of people I'm sure I've already fixed before.

Day nine

Okay, this is getting slightly weird. So before, while the majority of conversations were mimed, at least those that were vocal were spoken through to the end of the conversation. Now some conversations start off as mime, have a bit of speaking in the middle and then end up as mime again. Just a minute ago I even had a whole conversation where only one person spoke and the rest was mimed. It was very off-putting.

Day ten

Although I like my new friends, they are a bit backward. When we battle against the creatures of this world with our familiars, theyíll often let me do all the hard work while they run around the sides casting spells that we donít need. Iíve tried to give them instructions, to make them more effective, but they ignore me most of the time. We could act better as a team. Also, Drippy has started doing this dance which helps heal us all, which is really kind of him, but he chooses to do it at the oddest moments and Iíve no idea why itís taken him so long to start doing it. Still, theyíre all such neato friends I shouldnít complain.

Day eleven

More broken hearts fixed.

Day twelve

Iíd never noticed before but Drippy says ĎTidyí a lot.

Day thirteen

More broken hearts fixed, more minor quests solved and more diaries found.

Day fourteen

Mom, donít take this the wrong way, but I really canít wait to see you now. I mean, I wanted to before, but this journey is turning into a bit of a grind. Iím not finding it challenging at all, the situations I find myself in are starting to feel very repetitive and although I really like helping people, Iím finding the amount of people that continue to get broken hearted a little irritating.

Day fifteen

Today we met a dragon. An actual dragon, Mom. Although I wasnít as excited about it as I thought I would be as Iím sure Iíd seen that we would meet a dragon before it happened. Sort of like a premonition that happened one day as I waited to begin my journey. Which was a shame, as it slightly spoiled the surprise. Still, a dragon! It helped break up the monotony and now I can journey this world even quicker and get to you sooner.

Day sixteen

Drippy is still telling me what to do every time we meet somebody whoís broken hearted. Heís been constantly holding my hand throughout the whole journey and wonít let me work things out for myself. I mean, bless the neato little welsh Lord High Lord of the Fairies and all, but itíd be rather nice if he trusted me to work things out for myself. I feel like I can't enjoy myself while he's constantly telling me what to do.

Day seventeen

I want to shit down Drippy's throat until he dies, the annoying hand holding little welsh Lord High Lord of the annoying fucking pricks.

7/10

• drhcnip 15 Jul 2013 21:48:38 2,499 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    yup, sounds about right...loved parts of that game, hugely irritated by others but i think it has to be one of my disappointments of the year...:(
  • oceanmotion 15 Jul 2013 21:48:39 15,951 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Half Life 2 Episode 2

Valve made the game a lot tighter, varied and less of a chore. Couldn't help but think of Starship Troopers with those mind slug things excluding the willy of doom. Bit too much chat while you waited around to move on. Did the Rocket Man achievement this time. Nearly lost him when I left to retrieve the car over the bridge but some physics to the rescue and fast fingers got my little gnome back from the closing door. Totally forgot about the Portal connection near the end which got me a little excited for HL3.

7/10

Playing Half Life 2 and the episodes has toned down my excitement for HL3 considerably though interest raised with the Portal connection at the end.

So long HL2. I'm done.
  • andytheadequate 15 Jul 2013 21:56:46 8,179 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Cadence wrote:
    ... pad, pad, pad!

I dunno - I didn't have that many issues with the K+M. It definitely helps with throwing and aiming/strafing too.
    It's mote accurate but a little buy more difficult to get user to. Unfortunately, I'm terrible with both so I can't get past the fourth mission!
  • imamazed 16 Jul 2013 09:36:00 5,620 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ico

Never played this before. I was suitably impressed. Everything has been written about this game already really - wonderful sense of the unknown, epic locations. Can't really fault it on that. However, the gameplay can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes the "puzzles" seem completely arbitrary once you do get them; other times they're logical and satisfying. It was a right pain in some parts, and the camera doesn't help with precise platforming. Still, the overall impression was good.

7/10

The Walking Dead: 400 Days

Really loved this; and so happy to be back in this world. It's amazing how much emotion telltale can get into each and every face. Again, wonderful story telling. Loved the snapshot look at the wider world; I liekd how there were even more photos on the noticeboard - the sense that everyone has a story. Ultimately, I suppose it'll be unimportant but for 400 MS points you can't complain. Favourite stories - Vince and Bonnie.

10/10

Edited by imamazed at 09:36:14 16-07-2013
  • ardamillo 16 Jul 2013 09:43:05 523 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Cadence wrote:
    ... pad, pad, pad!

Can't get my head around the K+M controls, it kills the game for me. I don't play many games on PC though.
  • ardamillo 16 Jul 2013 09:50:47 523 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:

It was great for its time but doesn't stand up today. Better off reading the wikipedia summary and watching the cutscenes on youtube.
    My favourite memory of this: half way through the game, meeting humans for the first time and watching them all flee in terror. Oh yeah!
  • StrikeForce 16 Jul 2013 10:18:49 89 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Darksiders 2

On the down side:
    - The fighting was solid but let down by not being able to see what the hell was going on.
    - The loot aspect was rather tepid.
    - For the most part puzzles didn't really need any thought - see a blue portal marker, fire a blue portal. See a purple hook, use purple grapple. You didn't actually have to work out the consequences, you just follow the visual prompts and it would work out.
    - Story was passable but it never really grabbed me.

On the plus side:
    + The graphics and design were great.
    + Music was excellent throughout, quite understated in places.
    + Michael Wincott as Death was bloody brilliant.

While the game was above average in terms of polish and design, it just seemed a bit flat. Nothing really stood out in terms of narrative or mechanics. Perhaps it was because I couldn't help think about Hellboy when I was playing it. Not only does it share similar biblical apocalypse theme, but many of the character designs seemed directly lifted from Hellboy 2 (Constructs = Golden Army, Wailing Host = Forest God) - and Darksiders just seemed to pale in comparison to the Hellboy universe.

6/10
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 09:22:11
    Gangstar Rio: City of Saints
    (Android - Xperia Play)
    I am ashamed to admit that I 100-%-ed this game. It is a horrible knock-off of GTA games.
    Good:
    - The change of location (Rio instead of an anonymous American city).
    - As you complete missions your character sort of levels up allowing you to buy better weapons and equipment.
    - You can buy a "skip this mission" thingy which you can use to skip any mission you have problems with.
    - The story got kind of interesting but only right before the end.
    - The game is actually playable with Xperia Play's hardware buttons.
    - Flying planes was kind of fun.
    - You get to kill your former girlfriend who was a horrible cunt.
    Bad:
    Music, radio stations, most of the characters, ridiculous amount of swearing, lag, stuttering (the Xperia Play's single core processor is to blame here), horrible car racing missions, everything else.
    I must have started it about 5 times, but only managed to beat it this time. Felt strangely compelled to complete it as I paid for it (79 cents).
    2/10

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 09:23:03 17-07-2013

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 09:31:09 17-07-2013
  • DFawkes 17 Jul 2013 09:47:41 22,978 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just bought GTA instead. They are pricier than your 79p Gameloft homage though . I know they're just ports, but GTA3 and Vice City both run well enough (little slowdown here and there but nothing game breaking) and fully support control pads.

Do you play anything else on your Play you'd recommend? For what it's worth I'd recommend space sim Galaxy on Fire 2, which has a free version for Xperia Play.

Edited by DFawkes at 09:51:23 17-07-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Megapocalypse 17 Jul 2013 10:02:07 5,427 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ardamillo wrote:
    Megapocalypse wrote:

My favourite memory of this: half way through the game, meeting humans for the first time and watching them all flee in terror. Oh yeah!
    Its strange that the whole human city (and many other areas) are completely optional and hidden away. I assume the game was originally meant to be a lot bigger.
  • DFawkes 17 Jul 2013 10:11:13 22,978 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There was tons of stuff cut from Soul Reaver. Most of it made it back to the sequels in some form, but there's still lots there. Some of it is still accessible with cheat.

This is worth a look if you're interested.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 17 July 2013 10:47:27
    @DFawkes Thanks for the suggestions but already beaten GTA 3 twice, have yet to buy Vice City though I hear it might lag badly on Xperia's ancient hardware. Also beaten Galaxy on Fire 2 loved it, planning a replay. Shame the story in that is rather short. As for what else I play on my XP it's mostly various PSOne games converted to PsXPeria format. Resident Evils run fine plus some other games. Also just recently found this Bounty Hunter game. (Android) a rather well made Borderlands clone. Shame it doesn't support XP controls, yet.
    As for recommendations, maybe XP optimized Dungeon Crawlers? Kinda basic strategy RPG. It's free.
    Also XP optimized Monster Shooter, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Need for Speed Most Wanted ( this one lags badly though).

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 10:54:06 17-07-2013
  • DFawkes 17 Jul 2013 10:52:26 22,978 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've played Dungeon Crawlers. It's alright, certainly at that price :) Vice City isn't too laggy, though I've not got helicopters yet. I bet they kill it.

• munki83 17 Jul 2013 22:48:44 1,432 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fire emblem awakening 9/10

I got this as part of the awesome too many games promo by nintendo. This is a game I would typically avoid but the strong reviews tempted me to try it and I'm glad I did. The game is complex but very approachable. The story is surprisingly good which I was surprised at. I'd highly recommend it and ita a 3ds classic for me
  • JiveHound 17 Jul 2013 23:01:45 2,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fire Emblem currently on my pile of shame because of that damned Animal Crossing.

I will get round to it though.

Oo, it's 11pm. Some massive bugs that are apparently worth a lot of money should be turning up in my game about now. Excuse me.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• SolidSCB 17 Jul 2013 23:19:27 6,725 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heavy Rain

Fantastic experience. Kept me guessing and threw a massive curveball at me at the end that I never saw coming. Massive Seven vibes from this game, great stuff.

Couple of negatives though, some of the voice acting was a bit wooden, which isn't good for a game that is essentially one long cinematic. The controls were also extremely ropey in parts in terms of character movement, changing direction seemingly at random at times.

Really well written stuff though, thoroughly enjoyable.

9/10
  • Page

of 412 First / Last