Recently Completed Games Page 340

• Page

of 405 First / Last

• Rhaegyr 7 Jul 2013 20:37:29 1,407 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Gunzberg

How would you rate it against The Thousand Year Door?

The above is one of my personal favourites but I've never played the N64 game - still worth getting, especially after playing the sequel?
  • ramm192 7 Jul 2013 20:53:41 14 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The last of Us
    Painkiller hell and damnation
    dmc devil may cry
  • Megapocalypse 7 Jul 2013 21:43:56 5,309 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mark of the Ninja

Had a lot of fun with that. Great looking stealth based platformer.

8/10
  • dpezzer 7 Jul 2013 21:46:19 34 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Half life 2 played it through with my 7 year old lad hoping the memory stays with him,ravenholme certainly will even got a hand drawn fathers day card complete with a zombie and head crab on the front proud to say the least!,anyways on to ep1 now.
  • dominalien 7 Jul 2013 22:08:56 6,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What?

PSN: DonOsito

• Gunzberg 7 Jul 2013 22:26:11 1,730 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @Gunzberg

How would you rate it against The Thousand Year Door?

The above is one of my personal favourites but I've never played the N64 game - still worth getting, especially after playing the sequel?
    I have played all Paper Mario/Super Mario RPG games on all systems except for Sticker Star (what I read about the gameplay mechanics put me off)

I played Paper Mario 64 using the Wii's virtual console and using my Gamecube controller. Graphically it is an N64 game but really after the first 30min you don't notice anymore because already the charm, humour and gameplay mechanics have sucked you in.

Personally, I found the humour in Thousand Year Door a bit better but that game had some ridiculous difficulty spikes at times.

Paper Mario 64 is only 1000 wii points which I got through exchanging my club nintendo registration stars against wii points (so technically the game was free). Even if I did not have the points I would have bought it.

In short, buy it, I promise you will not regret it.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• DFawkes 7 Jul 2013 22:26:37 22,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think showing Ravenholme to a child with the specific intention of mentally scarring them is wise. Should've used Slender - far simpler concept that'll have him permanently too terrified to look behind himself ;)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Paulie_P 7 Jul 2013 22:36:03 410 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    Paper Mario 64 10/10

Took me about 25 hours to complete. This is the epitome of good gameplay, humourous story and classic fun.

Just awesome.
    Loved this and the Thousand Year Door. The Last two entries haven't come close to this, I couldn't bring myself to finish Sticker Star. It surprises me how some of the mechanics haven't filtered into more jrpgs. The Humor is top notch too.
  • Cadence 7 Jul 2013 22:48:42 1,677 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, free on Steam this weekend. I didn't expect it to be quite so good.

Anyway, I played and completed the career mode (about 5 hours), unlocking a bunch of stuff, including the usual extra characters and difficulty levels . It's really fantastic though and I recommend it to anyone that wants a mariokart fix. It's really much better than Nintendo's game though, much faster for one and the track design is brilliant. Also the way the vehicles transform throughout the course of the race, to accommodate land, sea and air is really good. On PC it runs beautifully as well, some of the levels are absolutely stunning, like the Afterburner one. The guys at Sumo Digital obviously love their Sega games.

9/10

Edited by Cadence at 22:49:05 07-07-2013

Edited by Cadence at 22:49:35 07-07-2013
  • imamazed 8 Jul 2013 09:19:24 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uncharted 2.

OK, it's getting repetitive now. Still a joy to look at and it's still a ripping yarn, but the game is just not that much fun to play. It mixes it up well at times, but the platforming gets pretty stale quickly, and there isn't that much variety in the combat. It gets difficult towards the end; but not in a satisfying way, it just feels cheap and frustrating. I still like the series, and will play 3 at some point, but I'll need a while to recover.

6/10
  • CitizenGeek 8 Jul 2013 17:07:42 3,527 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Last of Us
    Totally lives up to the considerable hype. 10/10

Valkyria Chronicles
    Unique SRPG mechanics marred by overlong battles that are often extremely difficult and require lots of frustrating trial and error. Storyline is mildly interesting but dialogue is pretty weak. 7/10
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Jul 2013 17:15:29 5,042 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hotline Miami - 9/10

I felt awfully compelled to give it a ten however, the game crashed and froze-up on me at least half a dozen times ... the worse being at the very end on chapter thirteen, which was annoyingly quite tricky. I also thought the AI was generously dumb sometimes and that didn't sit well with the typically challenging nature of the game.

The music during the grade/score screen is so bloody good!

... very much looking forward to the sequel too.
  • King_Edward 8 Jul 2013 17:59:04 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud
    What did you play on? I have HM on pc, but I quit playing it as just didn't get on with win8.
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Jul 2013 18:05:36 5,042 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On the PEE S FREE.

... judging by various comments on here and the rest of the web, playing Hotline Miami with the PS3 pad is miles better than the keyboard/mouse combo. You play it (almost) like you would play a twin-stick shooter like Geometry Wars.

Pop into the thread in the PS Vita category if you like. There's an awfully lot of love for this game!
  • jabberwoky 9 Jul 2013 10:42:17 465 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally finished borderlands 2 yesterday, although I say that loosely, did not do all the sidequests nor did I touch vault hunter mode, but it still took me 4-5 weeks. Then again, I stare at scenery a lot.

It was a great game, interesting missions, funny lines and characters, good artwork and environments and solid gameplay that just never got old.

I only found one orange thing in the whole game, a result of going into some random cave near the end which upped 5 of my powers by 3 and gave 22% cooldown, and extra gun damage. It was insanely powerful for just one item. It said, just like christmas at the bottom.
  • Phattso Moderator 9 Jul 2013 11:13:17 13,199 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bioshock: Infinite

I had to play this in two hits, with a few weeks in between, because... well, it was really really boring and predictable in so many places.

Interesting story, and loved the ending, plus they finally sorted out the combat so shooting at least was quite enjoyable... but combat as a whole was not. Too many powers, some of them a bit shit, that came thick and fast and I actually completed 80% of the game without ever using the tonics. Compared to the original Bioshock where the plasmids were my constant companion, and that's strange.

For all the hype the fighting from the rails got, I found it shonky and a bit flat in reality. No sense of weight or momentum - in fact it ruined the first person illusion a bit for me because the movement there didn't feel natural (because, of course, it wasn't, but even so).

All the jumping between different areas also cost it a sense of place. Rapture felt more tangible, and was better for it.

6/10 otherwise known as Still Not As Good As System Shock 2 Which You Made An Eternity Ago / 10
  • figaro7 9 Jul 2013 23:06:23 1,362 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Wii U

+Tight controls
    +Excellent puzzle mechanics
    +Great artwork
    +Precision Platforming
    +The Music

-/+Gets hard real quick
    -Recycles levels to increase length

A stellar title harkening back to the good old days of precise platforming but with some excellent puzzle mechanics, not to mention it looks and sounds fantastic, Wayforward know how to game artwork shine on the big screen.

8/10
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jul 2013 12:02:56 7,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomb Raider (PS3 / Hard / 100% single player completion)

There are a number of very good set pieces and the game is generally quite impressive. The graphics in particular are very good and the story is decent but nothing particularly special. I particularly enjoyed collecting all of the treasures and the "survivor vision" was used well to aid in this. I also found the platforming to be excellent and the small optional tombs well designed.

I never quite understood how a pretty well kept girl like Lara could last the entire game without washing off the dirt she is covered in at the start. She is on a small island with loads of streams and rivers. It was not as if water was difficult to come by. It was if the mud was some weird fetish of the art director.

There were a few issues with the actual play mechanics which stop this from been a true top class game:
    o The camera can frequently get confused, especially when using the dodge move.
    o There are a number of times when cinematics put Lara in auto mode, such as during explosions, this due to effect the enemies who can continue to shoot you when you can do nothing to defend yourself.
    o There few a few glitches that made enemies invisible.
    o To many quick time events. The use of them was actually pretty well thought out but there are just too many of them.
    o Both Lara and her enemies have too much health near the begining of the game making encounters too drawn out.
    o The machine gun is too powerful near the end of the game as the enemy manages to kill you almost instantly. This is very annoying when the checkpoints can very be spread out.

8/10

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 12:03:24 10-07-2013
  • Raiko101 10 Jul 2013 12:13:37 6,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @figaro7 I've recently completed the 3DS version and have to agree with you on every point. It's a shame it's quite short, but it's such a well made game and is so satisfying to play. It looks amazing in 3D, too.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• RyanDS 10 Jul 2013 12:25:39 9,056 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hotline Miami on Vita.

Frustrating, annoying and yet so brilliant. It almost doesn't work, but I think the instant restart after dying saves it and somehow makes it genius.

9/10

Luigis Mansion 2 on 3DS

Abandoned this twice, but eventually managed to complete. Very mixed feelings here, it looks lovely, sound and animation are brilliant. It has insane amounts of litle details and secrets to find. And yet it just isn't that fun to actually play. I think 2 design decisions really let it down, first if you die you have to restart the entire level, it's as if the game was made in 1990 before checkpoints and saving games was standard. That cost it 2 points for me. Then any time you have to nurse a fucking mushroom around was just an excercise in frustration, cue poor AI and the annoyance of having to be in the exact spot to do stuff, that cost the game another two points.

Shame, as it was so close to being great, fixing just those two issues would have made it a classic. As it is...

6/10
  • Steve_Perry 10 Jul 2013 20:22:08 3,544 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FF4 android. 8/10

The best FF I've played since the ps1 days. Could never get on with the pre FF7 games but this is great. Loses points for shit story (temporary party characters come and go in an annoying fashion) and the augment system which seems to punish you if you don't play through 5 times or use a meaty FAQ. Tbf all ff games are like that so its a bit of a minor point. Lovely battle system and not too long. Wish Square made em like they used to.

Might get FF3 on the go now.

Edited by Steve_Perry at 20:22:48 10-07-2013

Edited by Steve_Perry at 20:23:59 10-07-2013

VIVA STEFANSEN

• PazJohnMitch 12 Jul 2013 12:09:03 7,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rocket bird: Hardboiled Chicken (Vita)

Music is pretty good and it has a reasonable sense of humour. Shooting mechanics are also good but I did not like the rolling much.

The art style is nice but the pseudo isometric look made the platforming a little tiresome as it is hard to judge where the edges of platforms are.

Some of the puzzle bits are quite well thought out.

The pacing was pretty good with regular jet pack sections mixing things up a little.

Checkpointing was ok but occassionally saved before cutscenes or before a long walk/lift to the enemy that killed me. Also took slightly too long to reload after dieing.

A decent game and pretty cheap.

6/10
  • oceanmotion 12 Jul 2013 12:18:40 15,647 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Minerva

Half Life 2 single player mod. Not too bad, starts off a little too mod like then develops into a decent game with a teasing premise that makes you want to keep going on. Even some nice tweaks to AI to make them better, more offensive and a few clever parts that actually make you feel in danger and do things differently. More entertaining than HL2 and EP1 which I played recently. Still suffers from the base game of HL2 being dated but a good effort.

6/10
  • DFawkes 12 Jul 2013 12:19:59 22,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Skylanders Giants

Pretty much the same RPG lite loot crawl as the first one, but the road trip style story is a big improvement, and the Giants are pretty cool. Still has issues with overly powerful enemies popping up later on that can kill in one hit, but you can replay early levels to power up a bit. Some of the levels overstay their welcome, and others with cool set pieces fly by. In general the good outweighs the bad, but the pacing is all over the place.

Even with just the Starter Pack it's a solid, enjoyable game. You do need one of every element for secret areas, but even without that you get plenty of game for the 40ish you can get it for. Plus the figures are devil magic, especially the Tree Rex you get with it and his glowing parts.

7/10

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Doomspoon 12 Jul 2013 13:31:00 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dead Space PC

After many abandoned attempts. I enjoyed it, I liked the environment and the way the story was broken into set chapters. I had some problems initially with shooting the necromorphs, it goes against everything that games teach you about shooting bad guys to not just shoot them in the head or chest, that took quite a while to get used to. I loved the use of sound, to me it was nearly on a par with Silent Hill 2 in that respect. Silent Hill 2 being my favourite survival horror of all time.

In terms of story, certain elements had a lot in common with the Mass Effect series I felt.

It did have a couple of moments that made me jump but on the whole I wouldn't say it was scary, despite some great shocks throughout. Silent Hill 2 seemed to get into my head and mess with it more, especially through the use of sound. The looped radio chatter/recordings in Dead Space were good though.

It was clunky at times, I occasionally had to switch back to using the mouse for controlling turrets and the like as it was dire on joypad. THe physics were occasionally weird with stuff bouncing around all over the place or bits of limb getting stuck to Isaac's legs for ages.

Also, the final battle, I died a few times. Fuck you unskippable lengthy death scenes.

8/10

Edited by Doomspoon at 13:31:19 12-07-2013
  • lavalant 14 Jul 2013 01:01:38 1,266 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spider Man - PS1

My favourite super hero game right after Arkham Asylum, better than all the modern Spider Man games, still holds up pretty well today, some dated web swinging and camera controls might annoy some but it was never an issue for me, So much love and attention went into the game and it stays true to its source material.

8.5/10

On to play Spider Man 2: Enter Electro. which is supposed to be even better.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2013 07:35:40
    Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 (plus expansions)

Played as a solo thief through both games, neither of which I've played since they originally were released. There was so much I'd forgotten (story wise and secret wise) that it was like playing them anew again.

Still top notch entertainment, although I wish BG2 was a touch more light-hearted rather than being oh-so-serious.

TIAX RULES ALL/10
  • ardamillo 14 Jul 2013 12:42:55 519 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Assassin's Creed 3 (360)

+ The setting. How did they do that on my xbox?
    + The homestead
    + Connor. I think they did a good job with his character. He came across as introverted and confused, which makes sense given his background and the story. More interesting than another wisecracking hero, anyway.

- The ending ???
    - Too much animus bleeping and blooping, and contextual stuff. Sometimes in towns it felt like I had almost no control over Connor
    - I missed the puppeteer controls
    - insta-death chase sequences and follow missions

8/10 I suppose
  • monkehhh 14 Jul 2013 12:54:13 3,267 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @oceanmotion I like the use of space / vertical-ness. It did get him a job at Valve too. Episode 3 confirmed.
  • Page

of 405 First / Last