Grand Theft Auto Online Page 3

• Page

of 133 First / Last

• dnbuk 1 Oct 2013 22:02:34 4,958 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It won't even load the first race. I think I'll wait. The character setup is a bit shit isn't it?
  • onestepfromlost 1 Oct 2013 22:06:01 2,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it would be slighty better if you could actually make out what your fucking grandparents and parent looked like, faces are far too small.
  • reggy72 1 Oct 2013 22:13:46 317 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Can't get it work at all, get as far as a race then it either glitches like mad with cars and cut scenes popping in or out, or either left in a state of perma load waiting for other players, not the greatest of starts tbh.
  • Ziz0u 1 Oct 2013 22:14:27 8,552 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still waiting for other players.
  • convercide 1 Oct 2013 22:16:29 6,158 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I picked a special Dad. Guessing we all can pick John Marston?

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• localnotail 1 Oct 2013 22:21:14 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Felt like trying to get into a huge club with a massive queue and one very officious bouncer on the door demanding full ID and cavity searches. Grandparents? In character selection? Just want to play. Although nice to have John Marston as a dad.

Glitchy as hell to start, a few false starts with flicking light like day/night then people vanishing.

Then managed to get in and survive the initial n00b instadeath mle of the free roam. Like baby turtles leaving sandy nests being feasted on by gorging gulls as they try to reach the safety of the sea. So we were picked off each time we casually exited a shop checking out our new togs / gun.

Since settling into a deathmatch and races session with a stable host it's been fine.

Tldr: Seems all clear once you are here.

Like that you can bookmark jobs.
    Also that mashing A respawns you faster, giving shamed rage the edge.
    And that shouting at the cashier over your headset during a heist makes them empty the till faster. Wonder if you could just drag the mic on the floor?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• danathjo 1 Oct 2013 22:21:32 7,471 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    did that too, he gets around
  • spamdangled 1 Oct 2013 22:23:17 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Felt like trying to get into a huge club with a massive queue and one very officious bouncer on the door demanding full ID and cavity searches. Grandparents? In character selection? Just want to play. Although nice to have John Marston as a dad.

Glitchy as hell to start, a few false starts with flicking light like day/night then people vanishing.

Then managed to get in and survive the initial n00b instadeath mle of the free roam. Like baby turtles leaving sandy nests being feasted on by gorging gulls as they try to reach the safety of the sea. So we were picked off each time we casually exited a shop checking out our new togs / gun.
    Is this GTAO or the Manson Family?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• cowell 1 Oct 2013 22:23:49 699 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Managed to get in and beyond that initial driving mission. Did crash after that but a reload put me beyond it and I can free roam
  • localnotail 1 Oct 2013 22:24:16 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ha, maybe we should form the Marston Crew?

And as soon as I posted that, they voted for free roam and got kicked from the server.

• LetsGo 1 Oct 2013 22:28:49 5,313 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Makes me laugh when people call GTAO an MMO, they really don't know what MMO means do they!?

I finally got in, its OK, nothing special.... yet, but will give it time!

Edited by LetsGo at 22:29:24 01-10-2013
  • localnotail 1 Oct 2013 22:30:20 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    What ever you do don't select continue without saving as you'll probably end up with a temp character that will disappear.

Yeah... Carried on in this mode out of a desire to play, but since saving was disabled, lost all progress. Fun though. Lots of fun.

• NOSAVIOUR 1 Oct 2013 22:34:41 2,809 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not had any issues getting online all day. Anyone know if more multiplayer modes open up as you level up? Was really hoping for cops n crooks to be back.
  • danathjo 1 Oct 2013 22:38:36 7,471 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    made my guy, just can't get in now

having fun seeing all the Trevor bits when it bumps me back though

one day
  • phoopipe 1 Oct 2013 22:39:46 1,428 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    I think it would be slighty better if you could actually make out what your fucking grandparents and parent looked like, faces are far too small.
    This.

It's trivial but the character creation is fucking dire.
  • phoopipe 1 Oct 2013 22:41:36 1,428 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    Not had any issues getting online all day. Anyone know if more multiplayer modes open up as you level up? Was really hoping for cops n crooks to be back.
    Not sure how it works but cops n crooks is available somewhere.

Edited by phoopipe at 22:42:05 01-10-2013
  • NOSAVIOUR 1 Oct 2013 22:43:22 2,809 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sweet. MP modes seem pretty barren at the start. Must be missing something.
  • Tiger_Walts 1 Oct 2013 22:49:55 16,609 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not enough purely coop missions.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• dgb 1 Oct 2013 22:55:40 657 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tried for about an hour now and it hasn't loaded once! Keeps taking me to a car park, a car drives up, a guy gets out, it goes to a loading screen and............................waiting for other players.

Then, if I'm lucky it goes back to the car park and does the same again. If I'm unlucky it sits for 15 minutes and I have to quit back to the dashboard.
  • spamdangled 1 Oct 2013 22:57:07 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    Not enough purely coop missions.
    Give it time... they've confirmed all future content updates are free, and no doubt they will be looking closely at all of this kind of feedback in order to determine where they need to focus when it comes to future mission content. They've even hinted that Vice City and Liberty City could form the basis of expansions.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• dgb 1 Oct 2013 22:58:33 657 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going back to single player, somebody give me a shout when multiplayer starts working. Cheers.
  • Tiger_Walts 1 Oct 2013 23:17:11 16,609 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, I can't get on now, back to some PC gaming and try again tomorrow.

I did get to win a race mission, some people have no idea how to drive supercars on windy mountain roads. $11.5k, easy money.

• Zerobob 1 Oct 2013 23:24:48 1,610 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My housemate has been trying to get into Online for 4 hours now, unable to get into the first race. He's reset the console about 15 times. Even reset the router for all its worth. The furthest he's got is "Waiting for other players".

I understand the servers are getting hammered and it's all a bit of a mess, but can any people who've got in please say how long they waited for other players to join the first race, or get into free roam please? Just any useful information.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2013 23:25:22
    Why most big games have appalling online launches escapes me.

Rockstar have delayed this game many times, they also knew there would be several million players trying to play it so there are no excuses.

"we didn't expect the high demand" pft.

If the game was rushed out you would understand but the game was finished in April and they put it back four months to polish it. Good job my pimped out vehicles don't vanish when I park them at safe houses.....
  • spamdangled 1 Oct 2013 23:28:19 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think of it as broadly similar in principle to a coordinated DDOS attack - millions (potentially) of people all bombarding the servers at exactly the same time.

At least they warned of likely issues before release, unlike most companies which give off an almost unrealistic sense of over-confidence when it comes to major online launches (looking at you, Diablo 3...).

As more servers are added and activity stabilises, it will settle down. It's just that everyone is so eager to get on the second it goes live it causes an unmanageable spike in demand.

Given the retrospectively lukewarm reputation that GTA IV now seems to hold, I do think it's likely they simply weren't expecting such massive demand. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even expecting to meet the opening sales of IV. I doubt they expected a billion in sales in under 3 days, that's just unprecedented in any medium in history and significantly higher than even the most popular game release (believe the previous record holder was CoD: Yet Another Adjective Of Combat 12 or whatever it was.

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:34:12 01-10-2013

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:35:07 01-10-2013

• Tiger_Walts 1 Oct 2013 23:49:41 16,609 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Financially, there is little sense in provisioning the extra servers needed for the peak in demand during the launch phase. When things die down, the servers will unlikely be stressed to that level ever again.

Of course, there is the flipside of: If you're going to spend millions in marketing, why not shell out a few $100k for those extra servers?

But we don't have those numbers in front of us, R* do. They know what they can reasonably afford.

• MatMan562 1 Oct 2013 23:59:14 2,541 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You think you guys have it bad, I've not even been able to stay connected to PSN long enough to download the update... the 39MB update. It stopped at 32%! Hopefully that'll stop happening by the time GTA Online works properly.

When is reasonable to expect it to start working ok most of the time? Tomorrow? The weekend? Next week?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 00:00:58 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is that not more an issue for your service provider, or is it limited to your PS3?

• spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 00:02:24 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    Financially, there is little sense in provisioning the extra servers needed for the peak in demand during the launch phase. When things die down, the servers will unlikely be stressed to that level ever again.

Of course, there is the flipside of: If you're going to spend millions in marketing, why not shell out a few $100k for those extra servers?

But we don't have those numbers in front of us, R* do. They know what they can reasonably afford.
    And also what they expected initial demand to be. I'm not sure anyone anticipated a billion revenue in less than 3 days, I think that's well in excess of even the biggest estimates given pre-release by various analysts.

• Madder-Max 2 Oct 2013 00:13:03 11,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay but is 2 weeks long enough to get servers in place and optimised? I wouldn't know but ikm guessing there are long hours being put in by lots of people recently

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Page

of 133 First / Last