Advice on house hunting Page 164

• Page

of 166 First / Last

• monkehhh 3 Jan 2018 19:45:18 4,767 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep they're definitely things I need to decide :) I want longer rather than shorter and wider rather than skinnier. In terms of colour it's probably something more natural and warm looking than anything else - I want to avoid the shiny / yellow laminate look, dark brown oak, grey / washed out, etc.
  • elstoof 3 Jan 2018 19:51:04 19,158 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Did you nail them to the joists?
    45 degree nails through the tongue
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Jan 2018 20:34:38 21,462 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @monkehhh there are quite a few options out there now regarding length and width. I would say that the dimensions of your room makes a difference, too big a size in a smaller room can end up looking a bit odd.

Regarding oils, there are some good ones that are fairly clear but with a pigment which stops them looking too orange. I could find some links if you wanted.
  • monkehhh 3 Jan 2018 20:49:47 4,767 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep yeah it's probably going to be most of the ground floor so we don't want something too small that ends up looking too much.
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Jan 2018 12:32:11 6,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The wife's been pushing the solicitors and EA's for a completion date. One said the 26th, the other the 19th. The EA's have said they don't see any reason why it would be later than the 19th now.

So this weekend's been completely full on. Did 3 trips to the tip with the car absolutely full every time, cleared all my stuff out of the attic and it's in my old room at Mum and Dads, packed my PC up, desk has gone, all my plastic shite up Mums, Garage is about 80% gone or boxed- the rest is stuff like full paint tins, ladders, lawnmower, chest freezer and stuff that can't really be boxed. All's that's left is the kitchen, clothes, bathroom stuff and the lads room, he's only 2 1/2 so we've not wanted to disturb him by completely taking all his stuff so it's just a cell.

Just want to go now. I've filled in the majority of holes left by shelves and picture frames, it's just holes left by curtain tie backs that we're not bothering with.
  • Psychotext 8 Jan 2018 13:06:06 62,249 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still don't have a fucking clue if we're even going to get the house. Mortgage company wont even look at the extension to the offer until we're three weeks from the completion, and the builders haven't given us a firm completion date yet. Latest estimate is 21st of Feb (a week after our mortgage offer expires).

Best part is, if it gets another week later, we'll have to go through the process for a completely new mortgage (max extension is two weeks). If we don't get a mortgage at that point (possible as we're now more in debt), then we basically lose £40k.

I've stopped making plans to move etc / ideas for the house now as I'm fairly convinced it's going to go wrong. So utterly depressed with the whole fucking thing.

Edited by Psychotext at 13:06:59 08-01-2018
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Jan 2018 13:35:03 6,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Holy shit! Can't the builders just give a date to keep the Mortgage company sweet? Like even if they're not completely done by that date?
  • GuybrushThreepwood 8 Jan 2018 13:40:54 1,562 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @the_milkybar_kid I took two loads down the skip at the weekend (car full of old crap from the the previous people and packing materials from the move and stuff we've bought). I also got a load of rolls of loft insulation and plastic boxes that will go across the joists. Then spent the rest of the weekend shoving stuff into the attic after insulating it properly.. that included taking a bit heavy metal water tank out of the attic that they'd just left there when they replaced the old one.

Also got the stuff in to fix my shed roof (going to use Evercryl first and then replace it properly in the spring / summer) and replace the sealant around the bath (right cack handed job the other person did) and I've booked in a guy to replace the guttering around the front of the dormer as it's leaking (£200). I've done a long list of things that I need to get sorted around the house and I'm just prioritizing it all.

I don't think it will ever end and I'm aching at the moment all over from shifting crap. I really should admit defeat on my AD&D collection and get rid of it. I'm moving the heavy ass stuff from attic to attic at the moment despite not having played it in years.

Oh and need to get curtains for the front room...

Something else I sorted was the old halogen lights, they were bloody red hot and felt like they were a fire risk. £20 for a box of modern dimmable ones was well worth it.

Loads to do, but nothing critical and my wife and kids love the house
  • mrpon 8 Jan 2018 13:48:57 33,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Woah woah woah, chill the fuck down Guy!! Leave some stuff in boxes in the spare room for a good couple of years ffs!!
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Jan 2018 13:51:35 32,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, you're making the rest of us look bad!!
  • GuybrushThreepwood 8 Jan 2018 13:59:13 1,562 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @mrpon :) There's still a box in the spare room (under the Death Star lampshade from Ikea I've got to fit in the living room at some point) which is waiting for me to carry the bookcase down to so I can fill it with history books which my wife is insistent we keep hold of. Also a bunch of boxes (under tarpaulin) in the leaky [Edit] shed (I keep calling it a garage) [/edit] for the display unit which was hidden by the Christmas tree until Friday...

I tried relaxing over the Christmas period but couldn't as I was thinking about all the jobs, so I'm just cracking on with them. Still got a bit of gaming in on Sunday though... just not as much as I'd have liked and I'm aching a bit today.

Edited by GuybrushThreepwood at 14:00:14 08-01-2018
  • robc84 8 Jan 2018 14:08:37 12,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood

You've described about 3 years worth of work there ;)

It is quite overwhelming though. We've got quite a lot done but so much still to do.

We've pretty much had to get every wall re-plastered. Either due to the plaster coming away after stripping the 5 layers of paper they put on, or the fact they have written over every single bloody part of the wall for some reason. There's stories, football scores, the lot. Plus there are too many drilled holes in the wall for me to count. I starting filling some in in the 3rd bedroom. Did about 20 on one wall, then gave up when I realised there was about another 20 just on that same wall. The man had an obsession with making holes in walls it seems.

Plans for this year are to finish the kids rooms (plaster, paint, new flooring), get a new kitchen put in, then hopefully start working on our bedroom. Plus lots of other odd bits.

On the plus side, we have bought a dishwasher. It's the first time we've ever had one. It's changed our lives :)
  • GuybrushThreepwood 8 Jan 2018 14:18:58 1,562 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @robc84 We got a dishwasher too! Old place didn't have the space. What a marvel those things are. :)

We also got a tumble dryer. Who knew that you shouldn't tumble dry sheepskin rugs? It's now suitable for action man... our cats are most pissed off by the result. I felt a right twat when I realised what I'd done.

I just counted and my "to do" list stands at 40 tasks at the moment.
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Jan 2018 14:26:14 6,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wife's been onto the solicitors and EA's again. Said the Solicitors are fucking useless. All the other parties are happy with the 19th but it's just ours that are fucking about. The solicitors said that they're just waiting to hear back from the other parties solicitors, but the EA's (who have been really good) said that's not the case. Whenever I've spoke to them they're always been a snooty bunch of wankers, won't be using them again in the future. She's going to ring them every day now, I'm having nothing more to do with the cunts. Last thing I asked them was "do you speak to all your clients like this?".

Also could not live without a dishwasher. Though we've got to get one for the new place, and a kitchen door front for it. Best thing in the world.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 14:28:24 08-01-2018
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2018 14:26:26 84,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I genuinely couldn't live without a dishwasher.
  • robc84 8 Jan 2018 14:32:46 12,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We installed it yesterday. Went into the kitchen this morning and there was nothing in the sink. Amazing :)

Told the mrs there is no excuse for the house not being tidy now she is saving all that time washing up. She can also start my list of DIY jobs. Luckily she thought I was joking :)
  • robc84 8 Jan 2018 14:33:23 12,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh and our fence collapsed in all the wind last week. So that's another thing for the list :(
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2018 14:36:37 84,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We've only got a slimline, which is just enough for the 4 of us, but anytime we have guests, it all goes a bit tits up. Was doing 3 loads a day over Christmas!
  • robc84 8 Jan 2018 14:48:43 12,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ours is an integrated one that is currently not integrated until we re-do our kitchen. So it doesn't stay open properly and looks a bit ugly. But I don't care, I fucking hate washing up!
  • GuybrushThreepwood 8 Jan 2018 15:16:17 1,562 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @robc84 Ah yes... Task number 41... fix windblown fence and reposition other side fence.

I forgot that one.

This stuff is never ending.
  • Psychotext 8 Jan 2018 15:40:10 62,249 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Holy shit! Can't the builders just give a date to keep the Mortgage company sweet? Like even if they're not completely done by that date?
    Can't imagine it would be of much use if they did. At the end of the day, the offer will still expire when it expires... and basically tough shit.
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Jan 2018 15:42:54 6,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fucking hell mate. Hope that's not the case for you.
  • Psychotext 8 Jan 2018 15:49:08 62,249 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Losing £40k would hit me fairly hard I imagine. Would be like throwing the last 5 years of effort away.
  • LelandPalmer 8 Jan 2018 15:55:48 224 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I'm hoping my purchase goes through smoothly after a nightmare of a sale last year. Having to move back to the parents temporarily until I found somewhere I liked, and now I have.. I really hope nothing fucks up this time.
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Jan 2018 15:56:32 6,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can't imagine ever having 40k on standby, taken me fucking ages to save 10k for this extension so I've got everything crossed for you.
  • robc84 8 Jan 2018 16:19:06 12,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Psychotext

Why would you lose £40k, if you don't mind my asking? Is it something to do with purchasing a new build?
  • Zomoniac 8 Jan 2018 16:25:58 9,513 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Oh and our fence collapsed in all the wind last week. So that's another thing for the list :(
    Same. The end 5 metres or so of the 20 metre by 2 metre fence that runs along the side of our house and along the garden came down. To add further complications, our plot backs onto a sheer drop, and it's a very heavy fence so I'm not sure how I'm meant to lift it back up.

During similar storms last year it was swaying heavily, so I tied a plank from it to the much more stable adjacent fence. This storm caused the tied panel to snap at the point the rope was at, so it seemed my solution was too effective.
  • Psychotext 8 Jan 2018 17:16:44 62,249 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    @Psychotext

Why would you lose £40k, if you don't mind my asking? Is it something to do with purchasing a new build?
    Yes, if for some reason I couldn't get a new mortgage, or if I wanted to pull out of the sale... poof, there goes my deposit.
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2018 17:28:56 84,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Are either of those likely though? You might take a hit on a lesser mortgage but....
  • Psychotext 8 Jan 2018 17:39:33 62,249 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm currently £20,000 more in debt than when I put the original application in... nothing is certain.
  • Page

of 166 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.