• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Zomoniac 2 Jul 2013 10:51:00 7,821 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Martin Harley
    Is he still playing in a trio or has he expanded the lineup? I saw him years ago in the Troubadour and I absolutely loved it, he has a wonderful voice.
    Saw him last year and it was a trio, saw him a few month ago and there was a second guitarist added to the line-up but only for some songs. The Glastonbury gig was just a solo set, him and a lap-slide, in a small pub tent.
  • graysonavich 2 Jul 2013 11:02:07 7,320 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It doesnt help that they were never that good in the first place
    I think this is teh part where me and you stop talking!
  • gamingdave 2 Jul 2013 11:08:51 4,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having watched a fair amount over the weekend on TV and catching up on a lot via iPlayer, its a mixed bag.

Rolling Stones looked better than I thought they would, Jagger's voice held up well. Charlie Watts has to be the least energetic drummer in the world though.

Portishead looked incredible, if I had been and missed that I would have been gutted.

Primal Scream were solid as always.

Highlight that I have found so far though (that I had never heard of, I dont read the music press) are The Strypes : http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej58q9/acts/ar9nc8#p01c37lp

Absolutely rocking rhythm and blues, the best since the original Dr Feelgood lineup. And their combined age is less than any of the Stones.

Load of tracks on their soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the-strypes

And a great live set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IQiTxteKA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Je2y1TdCjs
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 2 Jul 2013 11:10:38 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Primal Scream lead singer looked like a junkie; not well at all.
  • gamingdave 2 Jul 2013 11:10:44 4,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, and Johnny Marr, he may be an exceptional guitarist, but his lack of singing talent really shows when he plays the Smiths numbers. He should just do them as instrumentals and let the crowd sing.
  • imamazed 2 Jul 2013 11:25:10 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Primal Scream lead singer looked like a junkie; not well at all.
    He was off his head on valium, he actually said as much. His voice mostly stood up, but he was a mess on stage. Still thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was a little embarrassing at times!
  • nickthegun 2 Jul 2013 11:27:07 59,363 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There was a period when he, effectively, had a teleprompter on stage as his memory was so fucked, he couldnt remember the lyrics to his own songs.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 2 Jul 2013 11:33:15 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    heh rock and roll! I can't imagine the slew of singer/song writers we have at the moment doing drugs.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Jul 2013 11:40:23 10,509 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    Oh, and Johnny Marr, he may be an exceptional guitarist, but his lack of singing talent really shows when he plays the Smiths numbers. He should just do them as instrumentals and let the crowd sing.
    Could be worse, could be Jonh Squire.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 2 Jul 2013 11:44:40 59,363 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    heh rock and roll! I can't imagine the slew of singer/song writers we have at the moment doing drugs.
    Weirdly, if they did there would be a media backlash against them and they would be hounded out of the music industry.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Mr_Sleep 2 Jul 2013 11:52:33 16,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Martin Harley
    Is he still playing in a trio or has he expanded the lineup? I saw him years ago in the Troubadour and I absolutely loved it, he has a wonderful voice.
    Saw him last year and it was a trio, saw him a few month ago and there was a second guitarist added to the line-up but only for some songs. The Glastonbury gig was just a solo set, him and a lap-slide, in a small pub tent.
    Ah, cool, that's a pretty perfect setting to see him in.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Trafford 2 Jul 2013 12:25:25 5,720 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gillespie gets away with his drug antics because he's never hidden it and its been going on for years.
    See also Jason Pierce.
    Any new artist who tried it would be ridiculed.
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Jul 2013 12:31:23 16,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Gillespie gets away with his drug antics because he's never hidden it and its been going on for years.
    See also Jason Pierce.
    Any new artist who tried it would be ridiculed.
    I'm not sure that's true. People seem to like the romance of a bohemian drug dependent. See: Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse.

You are a factory of sadness.

• thelzdking 2 Jul 2013 12:50:59 4,357 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pete Doherty ridicules himself with his unbelievably atrocious music.

Edited by thelzdking at 12:54:47 02-07-2013
  • Tuffty 2 Jul 2013 13:18:44 1,534 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wonder if all those music journalists hailing Doherty as our next lord and saviour are feeling rather silly now? I remember seeing one of his music videos a few years back and it was pretty much "I'm Pete Doherty, look at me aren't I great?" What was hilarious was the video showed a portrait of Shakespeare then it cuts to Doherty as if to say they're both genius artists. Pretentious twat.
  • RedSparrows 2 Jul 2013 13:44:20 22,238 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Popular music press = even more myopic, hype-led and pretentious than normal criticism.

Remember the Vines? The 'new Nirvana'?

Edited by RedSparrows at 13:44:52 02-07-2013
  • tombo 2 Jul 2013 13:47:10 2,098 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a great first time at Glastonbury. It's pretty big, isn't it?
    Highlights for me were Chic, James Blake, Steve Winwood, The XX and we had lots of fun walking around Bella's field and in the Caberet tent.
  • thelzdking 2 Jul 2013 14:17:13 4,357 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ahh, The Vines - fucking shite. I remember NME putting Andrew WK on the front cover before he had even released a single. Ridiculous. The funny thing is that he's still better (or at least more entertaining) than most of the other bands they hype up.
  • DigitalDelay 2 Jul 2013 20:50:40 216 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bobby Gillespie encouraging people to do drugs just looked sad. Loved Screamadelica at the time, but thought their later rock n roll stuff was just boring. Shame they didn't do stuff like "Higher than the Sun" for instance, after touring that album I thought they'd do some less obvious ones instead of just the usual crowd pleasers. Yawn.
  • DigitalDelay 2 Jul 2013 21:00:22 216 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    I though he sang "Stop Me if You've Heard This One Before" really well. In fact, to me he sounded an awful lot like Mozza. Thought he nailed that song. Sounded pretty fresh.
  • imamazed 2 Jul 2013 22:00:39 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DigitalDelay wrote:
    I thought they'd do some less obvious ones instead of just the usual crowd pleasers. Yawn.
    I think that's expected of you on the pyramid stage, to be fair.
  • cubbymoore 2 Jul 2013 22:03:10 36,478 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Going through the Portishead set on iplayer. Absolutely incredible, must have been insane to be there.

The Strypes looked really good as well, will be extrememly interested to see how they fare in the next few years, they could be massive.
  • Dr.Haggard 2 Jul 2013 22:52:56 4,159 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was pleasantly surprised by Johnny Marr, some of his new solo stuff was nicely Smiths-esque (this for instance, the studio version of which I've since discovered kinda sucks).

I probably haven't heard 99% of what he's done post-Smiths but what I have heard was bloody awful, so this was a nice surprise. I was never the biggest Smiths fan or anything but I just love the guy's riffs when he's on form, brilliant song writer.

The Pumpkins managed to be the best thing I saw on the BBC coverage despite a flat start that seemed to deflate the crowd a little and Billy not looking like he wanted to be there. Not to mention them not really being the Pumpkins anymore.

It was a rubbish set by old Smashing Pumpkins standards, but still knocked most of the other bands into a cocked hat.

It's been said enough but Portishead were superb too.

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 22:55:44 02-07-2013
  • localnotail 2 Jul 2013 23:08:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The XX set was amazing too. I remember them stumbling through their first set in the John Peel tent. Also loved (LOVED) Tame Impala and Alabama Shakes.
    There was a lot of Fey Rock but I'm not averse to that: Of Monsters and Men, Local Natives, Palma Violets (I think). Alt-J, 2-door Cinema Club also good. Ooh and Foals. And Editors.

Basically I got to put faces to a lot of songs I know from 6Music, which was nice.

Arcadia show is up now:

Edited by localnotail at 23:32:36 02-07-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• HoriZon 2 Jul 2013 23:09:49 13,526 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was all a bit meh this year I think Glastonbury has run it's course now.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• localnotail 2 Jul 2013 23:14:18 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Obvious troll is obvious :p

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• FWB 2 Jul 2013 23:16:36 44,091 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye. Time to pack it all in. No money in it and nobody wants to go. Turn it into a yearly donkey race.
  • HoriZon 2 Jul 2013 23:16:59 13,526 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lots of trolls there granted but come on it was so underwhelming.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• FWB 2 Jul 2013 23:19:43 44,091 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You basing this on the Beeb coverage which only focuses on the generic shite, hosted by individuals with less presence than pond scum?
  • monkehhh 2 Jul 2013 23:23:59 3,291 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @localnotail Tame Impala are SO good, two amazing albums.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last