How second hand sales on XBone will work

• Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous
  • Armoured_Bear 24 May 2013 10:48:03 11,267 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Description_here

Retailers will be free to charge whatever they wish for pre-owned Xbox One games, but both Microsoft and publishers will take a percentage cut of every sale.

Retail sources have told MCV that Microsoft has this week briefed key retail partners on how it intends to take ownership of the pre-owned market.

This is how we’ve been told it will all work:

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been traded-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

Unconfirmed reports on ConsoleDeals.co.uk suggest that retail’s slice will be as little as ten per cent. That’s a significant cut from what it has become accustomed to from pre-owned sales and more in line with what they would receive from the sale of a new game – hence, the value of the pre-owned market to the retailer is effectively destroyed.

These same unconfirmed reports also suggest that the activation cost for consumers buying or borrowing pre-owned software will be £35.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft responded with the following statement: “We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed.

"While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.”

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 24 May 2013 10:49:05 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im like a sexy Nostradamus.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Flying_Pig 24 May 2013 10:51:41 11,000 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If that's the case - i.e. retailer gets 10% of the sale price, second-hand consumer has to pay a significant fee to activate a pre-owned games - the value of XBone games once activated by the original purchaser will be virtually nil.
  • nickthegun 24 May 2013 10:52:30 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its quite funny that retailers not only will have to fork out for second hand games but they will also have to invest in new equipment to do it on and, at the very least, install them into every shop.

If you thought being stuck behind the wanker who was trading in FIFA 08, 09, 10 and 11 was bad, wait until all of those shitty games have to be deactivated on some crappy MS system that only works when the planets align.

In summary: retailers arent going to bother with reselling xbox games

• graysonavich 24 May 2013 10:53:01 7,353 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I /really/ sick of hearing "Xbone" already. I hope people get bored of it soon :|
  • Syrette 24 May 2013 10:53:33 43,477 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This really couldn't have gone in one of the other threads?

Also, Xbone! HILARIOUS! Bet you were tempted to put in a 'M$' like that other guy too.

• PenguinJim 24 May 2013 10:53:59 5,864 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So... it's better than Steam?

Good. Everyone hates Steam's second-hand game system.
  • nickthegun 24 May 2013 10:54:15 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    This really couldn't have gone in one of the other threads?
    Since its all rumours and supposition, it probably could.

• graysonavich 24 May 2013 10:54:16 7,353 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You all may as well pull your pants down and get ready to be fucked by high digital download prices on a closed platform.
  • HandsomeCrab 24 May 2013 10:54:19 278 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If MS are going to this much trouble and implementing a measure that will in effect kill the second hand market, why not just ban pre-owned sales outright? Doesn't make sense to me.

GT: carlmadin

• mrpon 24 May 2013 10:54:44 28,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Three letter acronyms are best, so XB1.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 24 May 2013 10:56:41 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I vote for XBomber

Edited by nickthegun at 10:58:29 24-05-2013

• PearOfAnguish 24 May 2013 10:57:34 7,296 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HandsomeCrab wrote:
    If MS are going to this much trouble and implementing a measure that will in effect kill the second hand market, why not just ban pre-owned sales outright? Doesn't make sense to me.
    Because that would create a lot of bad press. This way they can say that pre-owned sales are still permitted, knowing that the vast majority of people will have no idea how the system works until they come to trade in or buy a second hand game.
  • HandsomeCrab 24 May 2013 10:58:25 278 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    In summary: retailers aren't going to bother with reselling xbox games
    This. Way too much faff for very little benefit. It'll be very interesting to see the consumer response when it's released.

• Humperfunk 24 May 2013 10:58:54 2,247 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "Lisa, do you find something funny about the word TromBONER?!"

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• HandsomeCrab 24 May 2013 11:00:27 278 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PearOfAnguish

Aye, makes sense. I can see an enraged (and clueless) Anne Robinson ranting about it on Watchdog!

• Syrette 24 May 2013 11:00:28 43,477 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My thoughts on the pre-owned fee thing, based on what we supposedly know of it so far (since you all value my thoughts on gaming so much):

I'll just be very, very picky about what games I buy. Basically will avoid buying anything that will gather dust after a few weeks. So in other words I'd only get the likes of Battlefield, games that I'll be playing off and on for months, therefore would never be worth selling on.

Any other One games, I'd just do what I do now with the 360, Vita and PS3 and just rent them... which of course is another issue, but one that I hope Microsoft will work out with their rental partners. I'm not paying MS money to rent their games, nor would I pay Lovefilm more to cover their costs. In effect, their rental strategy could be a deal breaker for me.

Anyway, unlike the livid internet hoards who have their minds made up already, me ever getting a One depends almost entirely on the software line-up. If it's worth it to get such and such game, I'll get one.

Edited by Syrette at 11:02:02 24-05-2013

• Blerk Moderator 24 May 2013 11:00:37 48,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The thing is, this might solve it in a way for GAME and the like but if you want to sell your own game on eBay or whatever you're still completely shut out.
  • Madder-Max 24 May 2013 11:00:38 11,651 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xbummer

99 problems and being ginger is one

• nickthegun 24 May 2013 11:02:44 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    The thing is, this might solve it in a way for GAME and the like but if you want to sell your own game on eBay or whatever you're still completely shut out.
    It also means that if you ever decide to sell the console for whatever reason, your entire game library is effective worthless.

• Baihu1983 24 May 2013 11:03:27 3,432 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lets just wait and see.

Retailers would more than likely just refuse to sell the console if MS forced this on them.
  • Madder-Max 24 May 2013 11:05:55 11,651 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xellent

Said in a mr burns steepled fingers voice

99 problems and being ginger is one

• nickthegun 24 May 2013 11:07:18 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Lets just wait and see.

Retailers would more than likely just refuse to sell the console if MS forced this on them.
    Its happening. Everything MS has announced points to this. This is just filling in the gaps between the snippets they have dared release.

• fletch7100 24 May 2013 11:07:56 7,319 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There is this quote from Harrison from Kotaku website

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

The Xbox exec wouldn't give further details on how this system will work, but we're assuming that once you're done with a game, you can trade the code online and it will be erased from your machine. But what will you get? Other games? Microsoft Points?"

Swap Shop section on Marketplace then

Edited by fletch7100 at 11:09:03 24-05-2013
  • X201 24 May 2013 11:08:43 15,476 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    I /really/ sick of hearing "Xbone" already. I hope people get bored of it soon :|
    Nah, its good.
    I also like "The Onesie" which someone on here started using yesterday.
  • spamdangled 24 May 2013 11:10:05 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.”
    Do they even understand why people are pissed off?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• TheSaint 24 May 2013 11:10:41 14,397 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Lets just wait and see.

Their loss. People will just have to buy them from supermarkets or the big online retailers.
  • NotSoSlim 24 May 2013 11:14:56 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MS must be going for a long cycle as conditioning gamers to the pre owned fees will take years.

Steam managed it eventually but this will be tougher sell. Steam also have those ridiculous sales which MS could do but doubtful
  • Armoured_Bear 24 May 2013 11:15:01 11,267 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Lets just wait and see.

GAME are in no position to do that, they're fucked financially and have lots of competition from online and supermarkets.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• TheSaint 24 May 2013 11:17:23 14,397 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    MS must be going for a long cycle as conditioning gamers to the pre owned fees will take years.

Steam managed it eventually but this will be tougher sell. Steam also have those ridiculous sales which MS could do but doubtful
    PSN has had some decent sales recently. Games like Ni no Kuni have been cheaper digitally in their sales that any shop has sold them at.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous