Making friends as an adult Page 13

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Kosmoz 2 May 2013 13:52:40 7,768 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In my two recent relationships, one girl was not happy with me having female friends so I constantly lied to her about where I was and who I was with in order to avoid hassle. The other is fine with it because she isn't a fucking moron. Guess which I'm still with?

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• billythekid 2 May 2013 13:53:32 11,397 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gay men will still wake up with a boner.

I assume.
  • THFourteen 2 May 2013 13:55:07 34,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:

There's still this weird perception in society that men and women can't be friends without there being something more to it.
    Because women never realise that guys aren't just being "best mates" they are trying to sleep with them ;-p
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 2 May 2013 13:56:44 39,762 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Ecosse, go please change your profile picture.
    Why?
    Shouldn't that tshirt read "I shot JR"?

Edited by MrTomFTW at 13:59:08 02-05-2013

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• RightBean 2 May 2013 13:59:01 662 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I've shared a bed with female mates with nothing developing.
    See, I mean, come on fwb. Where do you draw the line?
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 14:07:48
    psychokitten wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    psychokitten wrote:
    Do you enforce this same restriction on her regarding her female friends?

How exactly does it damage the "sanctity of the relationship"?
    Because doing something your partner doesn't feel happy with when there is absolutely no need to isn't the sign of a strong partnership.
    To each his own, and whatever works in your relationship. If you both have the same kind of opinions, then it's moot, and all that matters. Having said that, placing insecure restrictions on someone isn't a great sign of a strong relationship either. If your partner is happy with it, then sure, that's cool. But what if they're not? If I was in a relationship with someone and they felt I couldn't share a bed with my gay best friend or that I couldn't go for coffee with a male friend, it sure as fuck wouldn't be a "strong relationship".

Couldn't live like that myself, but I never understood people stuck in restrictive relationships.
    They aren't insecure restrictions though, it's just not something I would be happy with and the same with her. Not being able to at least attempt to alter part of the relationship you have with a friend (like sharing a bed with them) only speaks to a not very strong relationship with your partner imo. If my partner wasn't happy with it then I doubt we would be together as she wouldn't be happy. No one said anything about going for coffee with a male friend - that's a bit different from sharing a bed!

And I take serious offence to the bullshit that is 'restrictive relationship'. If you can't manage to avoid sharing a bed with other guys when you are in a relationship - no matter how fabulously gay these people are - then your relationship is clearly not very close.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 14:08:11
    Kosmoz wrote:
    In my two recent relationships, one girl was not happy with me having female friends so I constantly lied to her about where I was and who I was with in order to avoid hassle. The other is fine with it because she isn't a fucking moron. Guess which I'm still with?
    See this make you look like an idiot.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 14:13:08
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Ecosse, go please change your profile picture.
    Why?
    Because you look like a cunt.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 2 May 2013 14:15:10 39,762 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's overly harsh.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• psychokitten Moderator 2 May 2013 14:17:44 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    And I take serious offence to the bullshit that is 'restrictive relationship'. If you can't manage to avoid sharing a bed with other guys when you are in a relationship - no matter how fabulously gay these people are - then your relationship is clearly not very close.
    That's not mean to cause offense, it's what I consider restrictive, rather than a blanket statement that applies to everyone. If you and your wife agree on what is acceptable and what isn't, then it's all gravy. The problem is when two people's opinions don't match, and what I'm saying I couldn't live with, personally.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 14:22:37
    Ah okay fair enough that makes sense. See I wouldn't consider that restrictive. But I guess some people would consider no casual sex now and then as restrictive! We are all different, I'm lucky enough to have found someone on the same wavelength as far as these things are concerned (10 years!).
  • cubbymoore 2 May 2013 14:22:58 36,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can this thread be locked as it's a duplicate of When Harry Met Sally.
  • LeoliansBro 2 May 2013 14:33:35 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess it is down to where you draw the line. I personally think that sleeping with someone is cheating, kissing someone is cheating, meeting up with someone is not cheating. 'Putting yourself in harm's way' as people are terming it is not a bad thing if you don't do anything, don't intend to do anything and don't want to do anything.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• cubbymoore 2 May 2013 14:35:28 36,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You are an evolved human being we get it.
  • LionheartDJH 2 May 2013 14:36:28 19,547 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    People never intend to cheat.

However you spend enough time with one person that starts off platonic but feelings can develop as you get to know them and you only see the bad things about your current partner, and see that grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and it's something new and exciting etc etc

It's how so many relationships end.
    Too true.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Kosmoz 2 May 2013 14:45:24 7,768 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Kosmoz wrote:
    How so?

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Salaman 2 May 2013 14:58:21 19,605 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I guess this is topical.

A very good friend of mine that I've known for about 17 or 18 years lives in France. He's been with his wife for idunno. Maybe 10 years or 12 or so.
    They used to live in Moscow, then Paris, now the south of France, so I don't see them regularly. I've only ever seen/met his Mrs when I was visiting the two of them. I'd call them both friends but clearly my connection to them is through him, not her.

I've sent them an email last month to see if I can stop over for a few days when I take my daughter on vacation in August.
    He's replied last week that he'll be in Moscow for work at that time but i should definitly come to visit sometime.

I've just informed him that's a shame and we'll try to find a suitable weekend for a visit.

He's now pinged back an email saying that his Mrs doesn't mind hosting me and my daughter whilst he's away for work in Moscow. Their kids are in Belgium so there's plenty of room for guests.

According to the logic of this thrad, does that mean his wife wants to take advantage of me whilst he's away?

Edited by Salaman at 14:58:50 02-05-2013
  • psychokitten Moderator 2 May 2013 15:02:07 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Will there be a chaperone?
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 15:02:09
    Salaman wrote:
    I guess this is topical.

A very good friend of mine that I've known for about 17 or 18 years lives in France. He's been with his wife for idunno. Maybe 10 years or 12 or so.
    They used to live in Moscow, then Paris, now the south of France, so I don't see them regularly. I've only ever seen/met his Mrs when I was visiting the two of them. I'd call them both friends but clearly my connection to them is through him, not her.

I've sent them an email last month to see if I can stop over for a few days when I take my daughter on vacation in August.
    He's replied last week that he'll be in Moscow for work at that time but i should definitly come to visit sometime.

I've just informed him that's a shame and we'll try to find a suitable weekend for a visit.

He's now pinged back an email saying that his Mrs doesn't mind hosting me and my daughter whilst he's away for work in Moscow. Their kids are in Belgium so there's plenty of room for guests.

According to the logic of this thrad, does that mean his wife wants to take advantage of me whilst he's away?
    No, according to the logic of this thread from what I've read that is completely fine.
  • LeoliansBro 2 May 2013 15:02:35 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do you think it isn't?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 2 May 2013 15:03:44
    Kosmoz wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Kosmoz wrote:
    How so?
    You constantly lied to your gf about seeing girls behind her back. She was obviously unhappy with it. You call her a fucking moron as a result. Yeah, you are the problem there.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 15:04:06
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Do you think it isn't?
    ?
  • Alastair 2 May 2013 15:05:39 16,406 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll be in the South of France in August, we could have a mini geekmeet!
    And bring our mini-geeks!
  • Salaman 2 May 2013 15:06:44 19,605 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    Well my three year old daughter but she'll be in bed by 8 or 9pm.
    Leaving me and my mate's mrs to enjoy the southern Frnech sunset with a bottle of wine and a cheese platter to hand.

They have two kids as well which I assumed would be there but his email said "with the kids in Belgium there's plenty of room" so I'm guessing they're off for some vacation at his or her parents.
  • Dougs 2 May 2013 15:07:38 69,516 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A wife of a friend is different imo. But there's only one or two mates that I would feel comfortable doing that (my best mate for one). Not that I would do it anyway, as I'd want to see my mate. Unless I had to be in the area at that time for work etc, I'd find another time.
  • Salaman 2 May 2013 15:08:07 19,605 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I'll be in the South of France in August, we could have a mini geekmeet!
    And bring our mini-geeks!
    You might be on to something. I'll check in with you nearer the date when I've got a clue of where I might be going.
  • psychokitten Moderator 2 May 2013 15:08:58 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    psychokitten wrote:
    Well my three year old daughter but she'll be in bed by 8 or 9pm.
    Leaving me and my mate's mrs to enjoy the southern Frnech sunset with a bottle of wine and a cheese platter to hand.

They have two kids as well which I assumed would be there but his email said "with the kids in Belgium there's plenty of room" so I'm guessing they're off for some vacation at his or her parents.
    He means that with him being away, there's plenty of room in her vagina.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last