British & Irish Lions Tour 2013 Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Ultrasoundwave 22 Mar 2013 11:42:17 3,264 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be honest, i think there could be quite a few Scottish in the Lions squad this year : its easily the strongest squad they've had for years (maybe ever!?.

For me, Staurt Hogg, Greg Laidlaw, Richie Gray, Ross Ford, David Denton, Kelly Brown and Jim Hamilton could all be in the squad.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Trane 22 Mar 2013 11:49:43 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hamilton had a pretty good run yeah, he was dire against Wales though, gave away 4 penalties on his own.
  • Captain_America 22 Mar 2013 12:20:48 426 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah that is the risk you take with Hamilton though, he is a constant yellow card threat as well.

Agree about Laidlaw in the team, he could start at 9 over Phillips for me. Phillips is a pretty average 9 IMO and is a bit of a passenger to that great Wales backline.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 12:22:14 10,251 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    To be honest, i think there could be quite a few Scottish in the Lions squad this year : its easily the strongest squad they've had for years (maybe ever!?.

For me, Staurt Hogg, Greg Laidlaw, Richie Gray, Ross Ford, David Denton, Kelly Brown and Jim Hamilton could all be in the squad.
    Denton had so much promise last year but didn't seem to do much this year at all.
    Jim Hamilton is a great player apart from his bewildering lack of discipline at times.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Trane 30 Apr 2013 11:27:15 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The squad has been announced

Can't wait, 50 days til I fly out.
  • elstoof 30 Apr 2013 11:33:11 6,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Matt Stevens? Matt Stevens who hasn't played a test for about 4 years?
  • Trane 30 Apr 2013 11:34:11 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, 5 English front rowers (well, 3 of them aren't really English but that another discussion) is frankly absurd IMO. Oh well.
  • elstoof 30 Apr 2013 11:40:40 6,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Downright bizarre. And Parling over Launchbury? Big Joe was England's player of the tournament for me. Was Gatland even watching?
  • elstoof 30 Apr 2013 11:42:23 6,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Roberts, Davies and Tuilagi... I think I can predict the Lions gameplan!
  • Trane 30 Apr 2013 11:43:13 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought Parling looked the better of the two tbh - especially at line out time. Launchbury had plenty of endeavour but was a bit raw, and lacking size.
  • Ultrasoundwave 1 May 2013 09:22:04 3,264 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Quite a lot of poor decisions for me - some players picked on previous form and a few decisions that could prove costly.

I'll start with the captaincy - as a Welshman, i love Sam Warburton, but as a captain im not so sure. He is the ultimate professional and leads by example. However, there is a big difference between getting up at 5am every morning to put some extra gym time in and leading the Lions.

He said himself that he didnt want to captain Wales during the 6 nations so he could concentrate on his game - to me, this was a clear warning sign. Captaining a country at such a young age, with huge pressure and expectancy from the fans must be very difficult. So, they gave the armband to Ryan Jones and Sam was outstanding against Scotland then again against England.

Gatland should have given the captaincy to Brian O'Driscoll - this is his last international tournament and probably his last year in rugby. He is easily one of the best players to ever play rugby in the Northern hemisphere, plus he's got all the experience required to carry the captaincy and not let it affect his game.

So theres the first mistake. Secondly, Matt Stevens. The guy who wasnt available for the last Lions tour for some reason i cant remember........OH WAIT!, thats right!, he was banned for cocaine use!. The guy who hasnt played International rugby for over a year and the guy who is generally just a terrible prop. Dont get me wrong, he had a lot of promise earlier in his career, but not anymore. This is easily the most bizarre decision Gatland has made.

Next, he is taken 3 scrum-halves but only two 10's?. Also, the 10's they have inspire no confidence in me : Sexton?, very hit and miss. Can be outstanding but, when things dont go his way, he's very capable of going missing during matches. Owen Farrell?, no chance. For me, he is definitely a future Lion and i have no doubt he will get in at least the next two squads in 2017 and 2021, but this tour is WAY too early for him. Hes a good kicker, but his contribution at 10 on the pitch and his ability to control a game are not there yet. I would be much more confident with either a) Jonny Wilkinson or b) the most consistent 10 at the 6 nations this year, Dan Biggar, in the squad.

There are other strange decisions that i wont waffle on about (Maitland over Ashton? Murray over Laidlaw? ,Hartley over Best?, Parling over Launchbury?) but this is obviously the squad they are happy with. Its going to be a tough tour i think, but we'll see what happens on the 1st of June.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 09:22:57 01-05-2013

• Ultrasoundwave 1 May 2013 09:44:25 3,264 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Look how happy he is! :

• TOOTR 3 May 2013 16:19:54 9,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I understand the concerns about Captain Sam but the way he answered his critics on the field and the absolutely rock solid way he deals with the media and press through his (and Wales's) rollercoaster season means he gets my vote.

I cannot fathom the lack of 2 10's either though. Could be a nightmare out there without some more strength in depth. Agree Biggar should have been given a shout.

Don't think Johnny should have gone on this one - would have been a tour too far I reckon. (That said if he ends up getting a call up due to injuries and drops a goal to win the series I will of course be delighted ;) )

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TOOTR 3 May 2013 16:22:15 9,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Will be landing in Oz for the 3 weeks of the tests.

I can't wait.

I've managed to bag a ticket for the Sydney test but if anyone, anyone at all has a ticket for melbourne please let me know! :D

• Trane 3 May 2013 21:02:03 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have one. It's not for sale though :-D
  • TOOTR 4 May 2013 07:05:51 9,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /shakes fist

:)

Either
    a) The luck of the rugby gods will shine upon me and I'll score one
    or
    b) I'll get so wrapped up in the atmosphere in the pubs it won't matter

• KD 4 May 2013 16:47:11 633 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm happy a friend from years ago got picked to go on the tour, Richard Hibbard. From my area and a good lad, impressed against England in the six nations but surprised he got to go.
  • Trane 30 May 2013 11:55:05 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Team announcement

Well, things kick off in earnest this Saturday, looking forward to it.
  • Mola_Ram 30 May 2013 11:57:38 6,949 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll probably be working at the Melbourne game.

Not going to be fun. :(
  • Trane 30 May 2013 12:00:27 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, I have tickets for that one.

Going to be fun :p
  • Mola_Ram 30 May 2013 12:06:09 6,949 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you promise to behave, I'll promise to not spike your drink.
  • Trane 30 May 2013 12:13:15 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How much is a beer? And what size are they? Be good to have an idea.
  • Mola_Ram 30 May 2013 12:18:18 6,949 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Depends where you are. But as a rule they are pricey. Best get a couple in you before the game. The nandos outside the stadium is cheaper, but there are a couple of pubs nearby too.

I don't think I'll ever be so close to an EGer again.

/stalks
  • Trane 30 May 2013 12:22:04 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol. Yeah I know they're pricey, probably won't bother drinking inside the stadium anyway, I never do when I watch games over here. I get pissed off with people getting up and passing me to go and piss/buy more drinks. I'm there to watch the sport at the end of the day.
  • TOOTR 30 May 2013 19:40:30 9,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've managed to get a tickets for the sydney and melbourne games.

So excited.

Land in Oz on the 20th June :D

• Trane 31 May 2013 08:49:21 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good man! The two tests that I have tickets for also. I'm guessing you shelled out a fair amount for those?
  • TOOTR 31 May 2013 10:03:11 9,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    220 quid for the Melbourne one alone.

Mind you compared to the prices in eBay that's a steal! :)

Then the flights from Sydney to Melbourne are massively inflated due to the availability.

Then hotels are ridiculous for the same reason.

And this is all before drinking money!

Still :

- Best mates from wales I've known since I was a kid are making it
    - Good aussie mates coming too - right mixture of friends
    - A (potential) Lions Australia test decider only happens every 12 years
    - I was over in Oz for the last tour there and got so wrecked (happily so ) after the brisbane first test I was smashed down with mega man flu. Missed the melb test then. T'is unfinshed business.
    - life is short

Were all reasons that have completely unimpressed Mrs TOOTR but sod it - I'm doing it anyway :)

Missus is from Sydney anyway so the whole trip was based around catching up with the in-laws ;)

Edited by TOOTR at 10:07:05 31-05-2013

• Ultrasoundwave 1 Jun 2013 13:37:39 3,264 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not a great first half, but you can forgive that due to the temperature clearly being ridiculous in Hong Kong.

Farrell is kicking well but he's clearly not ready for a Lions tour, way too temperamental for me. Backs are looking good, although the wingers are barely in the game.

Hoping for a more exciting second half.

• TOOTR 2 Jun 2013 18:48:05 9,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's very hard to call but a lot of the patterns are shaping up (not just with all the Welsh lads firing but when 2nd half replacements came on too).

The real test will be when they face The Force next week with a tonne of players who've only just joined the tour.

The rest of the aussie super 15 sides will be strong, but not a great barometer as the internationals will be pulled out of those games I think.

Which, if it happens, really devalues the tour if you ask me. Still it's all about the tests and the bragging rights really :D

• BeheretiK 8 Jun 2013 11:22:09 883 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really good game shaping up at the moment. Queensland Reds are definitely up for this game and have scored a great try, albeit mostly individual brilliance than necessarily a team try. Lions look good out set pieces but struggling at the breakdown. At this point it can go either way I think but ultimately would still expect Lions to come out top. Just about!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Page

of 7 First / Last