Want.
  • Rodpad 13 Mar 2013 10:00:12 1,921 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    UGUU
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 10:00:37 11,295 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Looks suitable bonkers, hope it's as much of a riot in a group as the previous ones.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Raiko101 14 Mar 2013 09:54:48 6,341 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks great. Seems to be a mix of typical short-burst WarioWare and some bigger mini-game, ŕ la Nintendo Land. Can't wait for this.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• roz123 14 Mar 2013 11:48:05 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50099673&postcount=1
    A bit more explanation of what going on and some videos like this one

Edited by roz123 at 11:48:49 14-03-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Mar 2013 11:52:21 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually recognised a word of Japanese then! (woo) Asobi - Playful.
    Sound apt.

Looks like a fun take on the Wario format.
  • JinTypeNoir 28 Mar 2013 19:17:10 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This game is utter, utter genius.

I went over to a friend's house and we decided to try it out for a couple of minutes, and ended up for 4 hours.

First and foremost, this is a single player oriented with multiplayer options. 1/4 of the games are multiplayer only, but even if you never played them once, the other 12 are more than beefy enough to serve you for quite a while. It's a shame the series has become so infamous for its microgames, that people are writing this off, because there have been no holidays taken from the staff. Everything has such a high level of presentation and polish that its truly amazing.

Second, I won't ruin the surprise just how they structure this, but I feel I must let people know as a public service announcement: if you think this game is short on content, Nintendo did a Super Mario 3D Land trick with it. That is the real game takes place after the credits roll (and the credits roll less than an hour after starting the game).

As you play the games with their multiple stages and multiple ways to master them and gain high scores, you realize just how much attention has been put into replayability. As is typical of the Wario series there is a gacha mecha that drops fun little trinkets out of it (240 in all, to be precise). And the game is pretty stingy with them so you're going to really have to master the games you play to see them all. These, again, are just priceless.

A favorite of my friend and I was the sound effects editing team tool. There is a manga-cut out couple delivering a tearful and dramatic scene to each other on a photorealistic sunset beach. You use the gamepad to roll around a box of beans to make it sounds like the surf. If you mess up, they get angry at you for ruining the mood.

It is of course that glorious, glorious ridiculousness that spreads throughout this game. As my friend is both a huge Sega nerd and loves the Earth Defense Force games, he freaked out at the Mega Drive-like box arts for the games and the one game where you must pick up taxi cab passengers and deliver them to their destinations while attacking UFOs with the gamepad, as it was basically a Nintendo take on Earth Defense Force.

This is a brilliant and fresh return to form for the series. It went back to readjust into something completely different from what has become the norm yet again. It's hilarious, really. Way back in 2003, the original Made in Wario gave birth to the mini-game collection craze and, now roughly exactly 10 years later Game & Wario finds itself leading the pack again by redefining what it is to be a game anthology. Because that's really what this is more than anything. Calling these just mini-games is kind of a crime, much like calling the microgames mini-games was slightly misleading. Its a concept that is hard to understand how well it works until you get your hands on it, but it is a brilliant paean to delightfully genius idiocy.
  • Raiko101 29 Mar 2013 14:28:40 6,341 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't wait for this. The last game had me and my mates in tears of laughter. It has the best kind of humour.

• javvyman 29 Mar 2013 14:45:17 709 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great post as always JTN, really glad it's not a micro-game fest. I'll certainly be picking this up when it's out. Plus, Wario Ware games are usually sold a lower price.
  • JiveHound 29 Mar 2013 17:45:17 2,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The first video sold this game to me so I'm so glad hear such positivity.

Definite purchase, is there a Europe date? The WiiU is certainly offering something a bit different with its exclusives.

Edited by JiveHound at 17:48:59 29-03-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• mal 29 Mar 2013 18:27:27 22,605 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    Great post as always JTN, really glad it's not a micro-game fest. I'll certainly be picking this up when it's out. Plus, Wario Ware games are usually sold a lower price.
    Think the first video said it was about Y4500. IIRC, full price DVDs are about Y2200 (though it's quite a while since I've imported any Japanese DVDs). Straight currency conversion puts it at about 31 quid.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• addyb 30 Mar 2013 18:10:47 1,056 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't wait for this. Been a big fan of past warioware games. :)
  • Carlo 30 Mar 2013 19:17:24 18,069 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When is this released for the UK?

PSN ID: Djini

• JiveHound 30 Mar 2013 19:20:22 2,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It can't be too far away considering it just needs localisation.

This being Nintendo it could be months though.

• Deleted user 17 April 2013 16:07:16
    Getting a June 23rd release in North America.
  • roz123 17 Apr 2013 16:52:04 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    American trailer
  • JiveHound 18 Apr 2013 08:46:52 2,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looks great, here's hoping it comes out here soon after.

• treegreen 20 Apr 2013 12:44:47 103 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just came back from Japan where I had to chance to spend 2 or so hours with this game.

REALLY hoping there is more to it than I found. Mini games are incredibly shallow and for the most part nothing more than the average free ios fair.

You seem to have to do an annoying catapult game before you do anything. Although I may have just been doing something wrong there. I hope so, because it's awful.

The first full game I played was some sort of ninja game where you jump around floating like a balloon and collecting something (food? can't even remember) that made me yearn for the thrills of Octopus Dance. The skiing game was kind of nice, but just felt like skifree with 3d graphics and annoying voiced women included.

The one game I was really looking forward to, where you tap out a rhythm for another player to copy was implemented awfully. Don't know how they managed to mess that up.

I also couldn't quite get over how ugly the game is. The whole art style just looks and feels very unappealing. Although I don't like the art style of Warioware games in general, so if you have enjoyed previous styles you'll probably like this.

I really hope my first impressions turn out to be completely unfounded, but this felt like the worst Nintendo developed game I've ever played. Like a collection of games that they decided weren't good enough for Nintendoland but that they'll slop together and release anyway due to the game drought.

And I'm not even going to get started about why they thought they needed 2 mini game compilations in the consoles first six months...

tl;dr - Awful game.
  • Progguitarist 20 Apr 2013 15:54:22 10,450 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Exactly what I expected to be honest. Smooth moves on Wii was complete toss. Throw-away shite.

I don't understand the appeal of these kinds of games at all.
  • JiveHound 20 Apr 2013 19:40:19 2,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well that's two complete opposite views I've read from fellow forumites now.

Hmm.

• addyb 20 Apr 2013 19:43:04 1,056 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the warioware games and in general I don't like mini game compilations. Something just grabs me with the quirkiness of these so I'll give this a chance if its any good.
  • simsini 28 Jun 2013 09:31:15 316 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I got this game yesterday from ShopTo and played it for a few hours last night.

The pick of the games for me are:
    Camera - You use the gamepad as a viewfinder to take pictures of characters within a time limit. You will be marked down if they are not facing the camera or if you only get a distant shot, so zoom and a steady hand are vital.

Taxi - You have to save passengers from aliens and then take them to their destination.

Patchwork - You have to create certain shapes by placing puzzle pieces in a certain way. There are 90 of these to do in one mode alone within this game.

Gamer - You are a kid in bed who is trying not to be caught playing video games. You play old style Wario microgames and also have to pretend to be asleep if the mother walks in the room.

Sketch - This is similar to Pictionary. Until 12 July Nintendo is running a competition on Miiverse for the best sketches.

There are several levels/modes for each of the 16 games, something that is barely mentioned in the Eurogamer review. Another very harsh review after New Super Luigi U which is also excellent.
  • Deckard1 28 Jun 2013 09:35:28 28,243 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But everywhere has given it a poor review. You think maybe you just like it because you really really like Nintendo?
  • DFawkes 28 Jun 2013 09:39:13 23,036 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Eurogamer review certainly wasn't as in-depth as others I've read. It glossed over a lot so I pretty much had to read other reviews just to get a full picture of what the game is really about. No idea if it's harsh or not until I've played it though, obviously.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• simsini 28 Jun 2013 10:10:45 316 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Deckard1 The reviews I have read are overly harsh. They don't mention that it is a budget release for one thing and they don't mention the different variations within the games themselves. This is the perfect game to play if you have a group of friends over or with kids. I will be testing it out on some friends tomorrow night and will report back what they think too. Famitsu had it right giving 31 out of 40.

Edited by simsini at 10:11:47 28-06-2013
  • Deckard1 28 Jun 2013 10:11:30 28,243 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I look forward to it
  • Deleted user 28 June 2013 14:28:52
    'Gamer' is pure genius, probably my favourite use of the gamepad to date, certainly the funnest. The entire game should of been built around it tbh, would of made for a truly brilliant Warioware game. A missed opportunity and such an fun, easy concept for the uninitiated to better understand the Wii U's unique capabilities.

As it is, from a singleplayer perspective I think EG's 6/10 is pretty accurate (if not a little kind), some of these minigames are right fucking dogs.

*sigh* should of been 'Gamer and Wario'
  • Raiko101 28 Jun 2013 14:43:15 6,341 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently some of the mini games were meant to have been flogged with the system itself. Much like the AR games for the 3DS. For whatever reason they were delayed and thrown in with Game & Wario.

I'm a little disappointed to be honest, but given the budget price I can't say i'm too surprised.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous