Japanese 3DS games

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • JinTypeNoir 3 Mar 2013 14:54:57 4,376 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think its a good idea now that the 3DS has heat up and there is a such a gap in releases with the rest of the world, that we have a general information thread about little known Japanese games or games with not enough coverage, or anything you want to know about a Japanese 3DS game, but were afraid to ask because maybe next time Nintendo will region lock conversation about games too.

I used to do a thread on my top favorite games of the year here, because being Japanese and living in Japan almost always made it so that my top ten was completely different from most of the forumites here and it never really fit with an existing thread, and I figured it would provide some helpful information and perspective on what's going on with the market here. I always did it after some time had passed so that I could more accurately judge how much I liked the games with some time to reflect.

I thought I would do it again this year, but something weird happened. If I made top 10 or even top 20, they would ALL be 3DS games. 95% of my playing time this year was on the 3DS even though I like all sorts of games. PC games, PSP games, Vita games, Wii games, PS3 games, cellphone games. I even like browser games. But nothing, absolutely nothing compared to the 3DS in 2012.

I think that was pretty much the mood from January to December of last year. No matter how much the rest of the industry put out quality games, the 3DS was really the only thing that resonated in any memorable capacity. Most of the games I liked you can't buy yet overseas, so explaining why I liked them would be tricky, since just nobody else here has played most of them. Nevertheless, I thought this time I would list my favorite games, give a brief description for ones nobody has much of a clue about and let you guys ask about them.

So without further ado, I decided on a Top 20 this year, in order, because I need to show how superior Fire Emblem and Bravely Default were to everything else.

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening - I have long, long waited for a new Suikoden. I love Fire Emblem. I feel like I got both in the same game AND a fresh SRPG that feels really different than anything that came before it.

2. Bravely Default - I sometimes question whether this game is better than Chrono Trigger. 'Nuff said.

3. Virtue's Last Reward - anyone who has played it knows why.

4. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy music and a crazily addictive RPG/puzzle-y rhythm mechanic with tons of content? It's like a dream come true.

5. Demonic Training - no, not a game that trains you to be MegaTen demon, the next in the Brain Training series, which means devilish puzzle stuff. I spent more time connecting two lines between mahjong tiles than any other game this year. It never gets old. There's only one level that's randomly generated and two difficulties. That's all I needed. A triumph of devious puzzle design. Kudos on the other 30 games included too. But man, that mahjong tile puzzler, I still play it nearly everyday.

6. Light and Happy Beach Volleyball 3D - Words cannot quite explain how weirdly addictive this game is. You just have to experience building up a power gauge so that a first grader and a speedo-clad heartthrob high schooler can jump in the air like dolphins so they can spin around like ballerinas to finally make a volleyball turn into a meteor and orbit around so hard it makes an afro-sunglass-wearing geriatric grandpa fly into the air so far he knocks the little girl beside into the sand birds come flying out of her head and you get a point. In 3D.

7. The Denpa Men 2 - Adding a world map and towns and other standard RPG stuff to the simple and awesome concept of the Denpa Men, fleshing it out into a much more epically Earthbound-esque affair, but even better is the idea of earning light to fill a lantern to travel deeper into a fearsome dungeon with no light at all.

8. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright - peanut butter and chocolate, baby. Tastes great by itself, tastes better when combined. Also, voice-acted Phoenix and Maya, squee!

9. Space Harrier 3D - this is the most mental port of an arcade game I've ever played. Seeing as how Space Harrier is probably the most mental shmup ever made, that sounds good to me. You know you're in the Twilight Zone of good ideas when M2 went through the trouble of giving you the option of emulating the screen being bigger than your vision, presenting the impression that you are leaning left and right on arcade cabinet, and not only gave you the option to emulate what it would sound like to hit the buttons and fly around on the arcade cabinet. Mental. Awesome. Perfect. Old game newly made = great success.

10. Time Travelers - For those who love games that are awesome, awesome experiences for the brief time you play them, and never let up, this is your game. Much better executed than Heavy Rain, which it is similar too.

11. Fantasy Life - I've never had so much fun chopping down trees. I never knew there was so much technique to chopping down trees. I had no idea that life in a fantasy kingdom chopping down trees for a living could be so absorbing and exciting. I do now.

12. Escape Adventure: The Girl in the Old School Building - I always thought it was a shame that so many portable downloadable adventure games only ever amount to being a fraction of what a real one tries for. I never thought I'd see the day when a downloadable one would rank as one of my all time most memorable experiences playing an adventure game. Whoever designed this game knew exactly why we all fell in love with adventure games in the first place. There is a reason this was number one on the Japanese e-shop for such a long time.

13. The Legend of Riki - I always love it when we get a game like Bowser's Inside Story, that's about the bad guy. I never, in a million years, thought that we would get that a River City Ransom sequel that took that idea and milked it for all its brilliance.

14. You Can Count on My Weapons Shop - Four great games in Guild 01. A shame the freshest and most unique one didn't make it over though. Who knew a comedian could design games so well? I guess its proof that someone who isn't in the industry can bring an entirely fresh perspective to game design.

15. Project X Zone - Making a SRPG crossover game with tons of characters and long, drawn out battles for a handheld turned out much more in its favor than I would have thought. Wow!

16. Romance of the Three Kingdoms Pinball - I shit you not, this game exists and it is AWESOME!

17. Roll, Roll, Roll Around the Sushi - You are an apprentice to a robot sushi chef who loves sushi so much he wears it on his head, manage the shop by playing a fantastic mix-up on Zookeeper with a sushi management slant.

18. True Remembrance - A very touching and sad story, improved and brought to its full potential on the 3DS. Probably the most thought-provoking game I encountered all year. Not many games take up a conflict so relevant to modern life and devote so much detail to it.

19. The Night Demon & The Country of War - A war simulation game with no actual battle -- you "fight" by being a vampire who sucks the blood of an unsuspecting populace, manipulating everything you can so that no one finds out your secret and its too late. It would be way, way higher on the list if it were easier to understand, but its just so unique an idea, it takes forever to get used to what the developer wants you to do.

20. Ex Troopers - Monster Hunter with aliens in the form of anime space opera? Sign me up! Keep me there with really addictive mechanics. And spice it up with the most enthusiastically told story of ALLLLLL TIMMMMMEEEE! YEAAAAH GALAXY SPARKLES BABY! It's like diving into the mind of a hyperactive 7 year old kid who is a fan of pulp science fiction serials.
  • Bremenacht 3 Mar 2013 15:05:13 17,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    11. Fantasy Life - I've never had so much fun chopping down trees. I never knew there was so much technique to chopping down trees. I had no idea that life in a fantasy kingdom chopping down trees for a living could be so absorbing and exciting. I do now.
    One for Gremmi. If you could chop other people's trees, it would be perfect for him.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 15:14:59
    wb jtn
  • roz123 3 Mar 2013 15:29:21 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Was thinking about Theatrhythm today and if its going cheap yet. 40+ in most places :(
  • santashi 3 Mar 2013 15:39:30 5,095 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd been considering Time Travellers (on the Vita, though, since I can actually play imports on that), but had been put off by some people saying that they found it to be something of a disappointment. Now you've called it doubly awesome and I'm curious again. :p

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• mal 3 Mar 2013 15:52:06 22,453 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Teatrhythm has been out for a while over here, and Fire Emblem (finally) comes out in April. The rest I think haven't been confirmed for Europe, but I would love to play EX Troopers.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• santashi 3 Mar 2013 16:28:49 5,095 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Teatrhythm has been out for a while over here, and Fire Emblem (finally) comes out in April. The rest I think haven't been confirmed for Europe, but I would love to play EX Troopers.
    VLR was released here last November and Project X Zone is apparently coming at some point.

Edit: Teatrhythm sounds like some rhythm based cow-milking Harvest Moon spinoff.

Edited by santashi at 16:29:20 03-03-2013

• riz23 3 Mar 2013 16:59:57 1,256 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You may have something there jtn. I don't have the good fortune to play Japanese 3DS games but I have got those that made their way over here, and Theatrhythm and VLR have been two of the most addictive experiences I've played in the last year. Both so singular and stand out in bunch of me-too game experiences. I enjoyed the guild 01 games that appeared here, even Aero-Porter and would like to play guild 02, especially 'Kaijuu ga Deru Kinyoubi', a game about battling godzilla style monsters or something?

I do get upset when I read about these great games, that Beach Volleyball game sounds like something right up my alley, games that I will probably never have a chance to play. Thank god we get Fire Emblem, and probably numbers 2, 5, 7, 8 & 9 on your list. However I would like to try most of those to be fair.

We deserve more great 3dS games too!

EDIT: Project x zone coming to europe as well!
    EDIT: Surely we will get Fantasy Life too? It looks excellent!

Edited by riz23 at 17:02:05 03-03-2013

Edited by riz23 at 17:14:17 03-03-2013
  • roz123 3 Mar 2013 18:27:15 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Bravely Default twitter account has posted two messages in the last few days
    I accessed Twitter after a long absence. A voice of the foreign one arrives properly!
    and
    There is very much comment from overseas one! I do my best to have all of you play!
    https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL
  • DFawkes 3 Mar 2013 18:45:16 22,788 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    16. Romance of the Three Kingdoms Pinball - I shit you not, this game exists and it is AWESOME!
    I just can't find anything about this game online. The best google brings up is this thread, probably because no-one has ever typed that title in English before ;) The only other place I can think of is the official site, but it's in Japanese.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Raiko101 3 Mar 2013 18:48:32 6,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @roz123 I picked it up on Amazon for 15 quid about a month ago. It is listed on the site twice, oddly enough. Each at different prices.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Kid_Icarus 3 Mar 2013 18:54:53 556 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You utter bastard!
    I hadn't heard of EX Troopers before, but it looks awesome and I really want to play it. Its never getting a release over here. :(
  • JinTypeNoir 4 Mar 2013 12:15:06 4,376 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kid_Icarus wrote:
    You utter bastard!
    I hadn't heard of EX Troopers before, but it looks awesome and I really want to play it. Its never getting a release over here. :(
    Yes, it is fucking awesome. The enthusiasm and heart and spirit that pours through every aspect of the game can't help but ignite a certain fierce joy in playing it. The story is HI-LAR-I-OUS, the characters are super charming, the manga-like cutscenes are an extremely cool way to portray everything, there's tons of content and its just extremely fun to immerse yourself in the world they created. If there was any justice this would have sold as well as Monster Hunter and become its own series. The combat is a like combination of Contra, Zone of the Enders and Monster Hunter, but still unique on its own. Its intense, strategic, has a lot of variety in combat situations and can vary wildly depending on your setup. The 3DS version is the best version because the 3D is incredible and the graphics match the hardware better, but the PS3 version is region free and I hear it has a small, Demon's Souls-like following of people helping out on English forums, and it isn't an RPG, so if you really want to play it you can always import the PS3 version. That one has online play too.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Mar 2013 12:20:39 8,004 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have Virtue's Last Reward on the Vita. Not started it yet. I find it a little silly that this was released here but 999 was not.
  • santashi 4 Mar 2013 12:22:14 5,095 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    At least the DS was region free. :)

• riz23 4 Mar 2013 14:31:21 1,256 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch You don't need to have played 999 to enjoy VLR but it does make it a fuller experience.
  • Kid_Icarus 4 Mar 2013 21:43:55 556 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir I don't have a PS3 unfortunately, so I'll have to skip this one. But Bravely Default, Fantasy Life and Project X Zone should be coming out over here though, and we've still got Fire Emblem to look forward to.
  • JinTypeNoir 13 Jun 2013 01:31:14 4,376 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay, so yesterday it was confirmed in Famitsu that Koei will be bringing Nobunaga's Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdoms to the 3DS in September. The exact features of both games aren't very clear, but these are the classic strategy franchises, not spin-offs or action titles.

For any lover of Japanese strategy games, its great news, as retail releases have been few and far between lately. Hopefully they also localize it, because seriously, I can imagine there's enough of a market worldwide (even if small) who isn't being served by developers lack of focus on this genre.
  • Chato 16 Jun 2013 15:56:37 3,459 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had no information about the majority of these games but, bloody hell, most of them seem awesome. Gonna note them down in my future list right away. Specially, Bravely Default has conquered me.

3DS: 5300 - 9001 - 6782
    Steam: Arehandoro
    Twitter: Arehandoro

• hypoBla5t 16 Jun 2013 20:53:07 1,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Peeps, does anyone know when Space Harrier 3D comes out in the UK? Must. Have. It.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next