Headphones Page 6

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 27 Feb 2013 15:24:10 10,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    B & W make headphones. Might be worth a look, their speakers are great.
    The do a nice pair in budget, though they don't review as well as I would expect from B&W. Shame as they look stunning.
    I tried them in a shop and either they were broken or they are shite, the bass was horribly distorted.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• gamingdave 27 Feb 2013 15:40:53 4,180 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tbh, the cable on my Grado 80s is on the way out and I'm tempted by the hd595s. When I originally bought my cans, reviews within the 150 price bracket always seemed to result in a shootout between the grados and the sennheisers.

The 25s are tempting me now after your post directed me to them.
    The HD595 are a really nice pair of headphones, I use them for late night music, gaming and films and they are very comfortable and have a great sound. They are useless outside though if there is any noise at all, hence me looking for a pair of closed cans to compliment them.

The 25s are very tempting haven been proven in loud enviornments and still being the headphone of choice for DJs and a lot of outside broadcasters. The biggest appeal is the build quality and easily user replacable parts. They will get looked after very well when I first get them but after a while I am bound to abuse them a bit, and if the cord to them is not removable I can just see me breaking it eventually.

Its the one thing keeping me away from the AKGs at the moment.
  • gamingdave 27 Feb 2013 15:42:21 4,180 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Yep, just read it thanks for that. Everyone says they don't have much bass which is a concern. I don't want stupid amounts, but do like my bass. How are they if you add a bit in EQ?
    The bass is fine for me, you need to get a decent fit but I'm very far from a bass head, I hate overemphasised bass.

This page suggests that good fit is crucial.
    I don't want overly emphasised bass, but do want what should be there. How would you describe the bass they do put out? Is it punchy and fast?
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Feb 2013 15:43:28 10,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tbh, the cable on my Grado 80s is on the way out and I'm tempted by the hd595s. When I originally bought my cans, reviews within the 150 price bracket always seemed to result in a shootout between the grados and the sennheisers.

The 25s are tempting me now after your post directed me to them.
    I have a pair of the 25s, they're great but were too uncomfortable for me as I have a big head, the gf likes them :-)

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Feb 2013 15:51:35 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    hehe
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Feb 2013 16:21:29 16,838 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, what did the OP end up plumping for?

You are a factory of sadness.

• THFourteen 27 Feb 2013 16:42:32 32,856 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/question410.htm
  • B0rked_Gamer 5 Mar 2013 18:34:03 2,481 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck it, getting (genuine) AKG K451. :mad:
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Mar 2013 18:37:59 16,838 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good man, you wont be disappointed.

You are a factory of sadness.

• B0rked_Gamer 9 Mar 2013 18:30:38 2,481 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    YEAAH!!!

That's more like it. :D
  • superdelphinus 9 Mar 2013 18:52:00 8,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    So, what did the OP end up plumping for?
    Sr80i :)

Brilliant things and very happy with my decision, which is quite unlike me
  • BravoGolf Moderator 9 Mar 2013 19:20:14 12,740 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought these this week, love them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bowers-Wilkins-Mobile-On-Ear-Headphones/dp/B003IHUHGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362856789&sr=8-1
  • superdelphinus 9 Mar 2013 19:25:38 8,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By the way if you are near an hmv that is shutting down they are doing 40% of all headphones at the moment. Admittedly most of them are skullcandy/ beats but there a few good ones too
  • grey_matters 9 Apr 2013 08:15:34 3,671 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Decent budget headphones.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 21:21:09
    So I'm looking at buying some good headphones due to my impending long commutes. Looking at the k550s as reviews point to a superb open sound stage (I'm not a bass head and like my music to be mid level and clear). I remember the last time I had proper quality headphones and being able to pick out instruments was great fun. But I don't bother with ripping music anymore. Just can't be bothered with that so now use Spotify. Is Spotify and its 320kbps high quality music good enough for this type of listening experience? I.e. will good quality headphones be wasted on spotify?
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 21:21:16
    So I'm looking at buying some good headphones due to my impending long commutes. Looking at the k550s as reviews point to a superb open sound stage (I'm not a bass head and like my music to be mid level and clear). I remember the last time I had proper quality headphones and being able to pick out instruments was great fun. But I don't bother with ripping music anymore. Just can't be bothered with that so now use Spotify. Is Spotify and its 320kbps high quality music good enough for this type of listening experience? I.e. will good quality headphones be wasted on spotify?
  • RobTheBuilder 2 May 2013 21:25:18 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mowgli in my experience the better quality saved streams are decent enough. Not 320k amazing but I don't ever recall hearing any artifacting.

They are huge but I still recommend the MAudio Q40's as they sound amazing. For commuting they might be a tad big though, for me the sound was great enough to get round that. They are excellent all round sound, with great high end and a realistic but very powerful bass. They fold in as well which helps in travel.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 21:27:12 02-05-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 2 May 2013 21:25:26 10,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I use the AKG 550 headphones in work every day, they're excellent.
    Comfortable, sound great and have almost zero leakage and decent isolation.
    With Spotify high quality you'll still get (to an extent) a lot of benefit from them.
    I strongly recommend them but they are reasonably big but the cups swivel for transportation.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 2 May 2013 21:28:35 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I used to get precious about lossless flacs etc, but 320 is fine in my experience.
  • THFourteen 2 May 2013 21:35:30 32,856 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TBH if you're commuting and listening though your phone, the background noise and rubbish phone output will mean there's only so much value you can get out of an amazing pair of headphones.

I'd consider going wireless, biggest revelation commuting wise for me, no dangly wires, can keep my ipad in my bag when I'm walking, and no unintentional pulls on the wire dislodging my headphones.

I have an older version of These
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 21:36:32
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    With Spotify high quality you'll still get (to an extent) a lot of benefit from them.
    I strongly recommend them but they are reasonably big but the cups swivel for transportation.
    Eek, think I'm about to spend my 3DS XL pennies on a pair.
  • RobTheBuilder 2 May 2013 21:44:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trust me if you use the ones I mentioned you'll hear bugger all of what else is going on.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 May 2013 21:44:25 10,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Eek, think I'm about to spend my 3DS XL pennies on a pair.
    For commuting you *may* be better with something a wee bit smaller tbh but personally I always find over supra aural headphones less comfy after a while, depends on you really.
    For comfort and an open, balanced sound they are superb though, not for bassheads though.

• Deleted user 2 May 2013 21:51:05
    @Rob thanks for the suggestion. Had a quick look and not a fan of the styling tbh but will research more.

@ecosse are they massive on? Looking at them for long bus/train journeys. I know the non removable cable is like 6 feet long but I'm not going to be walking about with them.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 May 2013 21:52:57 10,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    TBH if you're commuting and listening though your phone, the background noise and rubbish phone output will mean there's only so much value you can get out of an amazing pair of headphones.

I'd consider going wireless, biggest revelation commuting wise for me, no dangly wires, can keep my ipad in my bag when I'm walking, and no unintentional pulls on the wire dislodging my headphones.

I have an older version of These
    Not true at all, you just need headphones with good isolation.

• nickthegun 2 May 2013 21:53:43 58,782 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not on the same level but the akg 451s mentioned above fold down into a smallish case and are ideal for commuting

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Armoured_Bear 2 May 2013 21:54:48 10,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    @Rob thanks for the suggestion. Had a quick look and not a fan of the styling tbh but will research more.

@ecosse are they massive on? Looking at them for long bus/train journeys. I know the non removable cable is like 6 feet long but I'm not going to be walking about with them.
    They're not massive but not small either, here's a pic of a girl with them on for reference:

• RobTheBuilder 2 May 2013 21:55:48 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mowgli they aren't the best styled but they sound amazing :)
  • Armoured_Bear 2 May 2013 21:56:26 10,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

Mowgli, have you considered noise cancelling headphones? I'm not sure how noisy your commute will be..

• RobTheBuilder 2 May 2013 21:58:01 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear again, the ones I mentioned close off sound and are powerful, you don't really need noise cancelling at all.

I have some equivalent priced Panasonic noise cancelling ones which are nowhere even close in sound quality.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last