The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Wii U Page 4

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• Telepathic.Geometry 23 Aug 2013 03:33:51 11,278 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am disappointed that they haven't included those two missing dungeons. Seems a bit lazy to me. Surely most of the Ninty fans of yore have already bought Wind Waker once, right? Is there a single person in this thread who hasn't already played Wind-Waker on the GC?

To be clear, for anyone with a Wii U who has never played this game for some reason, I think that they are in for a genuine treat. But it just seems to me that this is for fans who have already bought and played it once...

An HD lick of paint is certainly welcome, but adding Hard mode and a faster sail seems really light. Adding those famous missing dungeons would go a very long way towards twisting my arm to getting a Wii U.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Pinky_Floyd 23 Aug 2013 06:29:56 7,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TG I believe those dungeons have since been used in subsequent Zeldas.
  • Ashleyfiddes 23 Aug 2013 06:33:56 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I think it was a mistake on nintendos behalf even acknowledging the existence of the 2 extra dungeons. I understand using them on different zeldas (prob phantom hourglass) but now it will look as though they can't be bothered with the remake

Although I will still be picking it up as I love ww
  • Telepathic.Geometry 23 Aug 2013 06:44:54 11,278 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard that too, and I believe them. So fucking what? It's Ninty, masters of dungeon design. It's not like it's beyond them to create a couple of dungeons better than the two fucking rooms they ended up being. It's not like they're so precious that they couldn't possibly settle for anything other than the two they had in mind...

What I am saying is: that game shipped incomplete.

That is an undeniable fact as far as I see it, and I totally accept that at the time they had business reasons for that. But if they plan to sell it to us again, I expect more than just HD, I expect them to tie up those loose ends. I don't think that's unreasonable.

If they were releasing this on the Wii, I wouldn't expect it actually, as the Wii has a large install base of people who possibly missed out on this classic.

But I think in the Wii U, Ninty has currently only claimed the Ninty hardcore for the most part, and they mostly will have played the game already I'm sure. :)

• Pinky_Floyd 23 Aug 2013 06:52:19 7,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had finished ICO and played most of SOTC originally yet their HD re release remains one of my favourite releases of last year, was surprised how much I enjoyed them second time around.

Ive never finished WW, how short is it given that Nintendo released it a bit early to get it into the shops?
  • Ashleyfiddes 23 Aug 2013 06:58:15 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would say roughly 22-25 hrs
  • Telepathic.Geometry 23 Aug 2013 07:03:09 11,278 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It depends really. I sailed all across the world taking pictures, maxing out Link and searching for hidden treasure and solving the puzzles on various islands. If you play that way, it could easily 5 to 10 hours to a regular playthrough... :)

Edited by Telepathic.Geometry at 07:03:41 23-08-2013

• Pinky_Floyd 23 Aug 2013 07:03:48 7,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ashleyfiddes Definitely long enough for me, took me months to work through LCU.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 07:04:39 23-08-2013
  • Pinky_Floyd 23 Aug 2013 07:05:00 7,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    It depends really. I sailed all across the world taking pictures, maxing out Link and searching for hidden treasure and solving the puzzles on various islands. If you play that way, it could easily 5 to 10 hours to a regular playthrough... :)
    Lol, that long eh?
  • Pinky_Floyd 23 Aug 2013 07:09:28 7,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Taking selfies lol

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bJOGA8GCVHE&a=&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbJOGA8GCVHE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be%26a
  • K-Project 23 Aug 2013 08:21:16 359 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm with Telepathic on this. Find it difficult to get excited about it. I remember getting to the end so quickly back on the GC version that it shocked me, particularly so for a Zelda title. It really felt as though a huge wallop had been chopped off the end of it to me. Not that the game didn't have charm in buckets, but for a full price re-release Nintendo need to be offering a lot of extra gubbins. And I would say it was a lot less than 20 hours on a regular playthrough, and I'm no genius gamer by any stretch.
  • Ashleyfiddes 23 Aug 2013 08:29:41 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It actually took me a by longer my first play through because I found myself enjoying just sailing so didn't warp I am surprised you think it took less then 20 hours though did you just go from dungeon to dungeon ignoring everything else?
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Aug 2013 08:33:36 10,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I agree that it's a real shame about the 2 dungeons, re-used later in TP or not, they could have had different versions of them and had a real Directors cut. Resources would have been much better spent on that than a FP viewpoint.

However, I'm really looking forward to this as I have been very close to replaying this over the years, I loved it to bits.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• JuanKerr 23 Aug 2013 09:03:42 36,205 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    it could easily 5 to 10 hours to a regular playthrough... :)
    5-10 hours? I must be the shittest gamer in the world then because it took me WAY longer than that.
  • Youthist 23 Aug 2013 09:09:00 10,010 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah if you are going for the figurines, that stuff takes a LOT longer. The figurine hunt was one of the best parts of the game IMO.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Widge Moderator 23 Aug 2013 09:10:15 13,270 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am disappointed that they haven't included those two missing dungeons. Seems a bit lazy to me. Surely most of the Ninty fans of yore have already bought Wind Waker once, right? Is there a single person in this thread who hasn't already played Wind-Waker on the GC?

To be clear, for anyone with a Wii U who has never played this game for some reason, I think that they are in for a genuine treat. But it just seems to me that this is for fans who have already bought and played it once...

An HD lick of paint is certainly welcome, but adding Hard mode and a faster sail seems really light. Adding those famous missing dungeons would go a very long way towards twisting my arm to getting a Wii U.
    From what I have understood... they weren't really missing, more unfinished ideas. Ideas that then got incorporated into subsequent games. Wasn't just a case of enabling them.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• vyseofhr 23 Aug 2013 09:11:50 818 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge wrote:

From what I have understood... they weren't really missing, more unfinished ideas. Ideas that then got incorporated into subsequent games. Wasn't just a case of enabling them.
    Isn't there at least one island where a dungeon has been very obviously removed?

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Ashleyfiddes 23 Aug 2013 09:16:08 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @vyseofhr you mean the island that you land on enter these large steel doors walk down the hall to find a sign sitting their, you run up to it and click a "thank you for your interest in exploring this dungeon, we were unable to complete it as we did not know how much time it would take to create this game. In exchange please hunt 8 triforce pieces. Please understand"
  • vyseofhr 23 Aug 2013 09:24:27 818 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Pinky_Floyd 23 Aug 2013 09:26:17 7,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    @vyseofhr you mean the island that you land on enter these large steel doors walk down the hall to find a sign sitting their, you run up to it and click a "thank you for your interest in exploring this dungeon, we were unable to complete it as we did not know how much time it would take to create this game. In exchange please hunt 8 triforce pieces. Please understand"
    :D
  • Cappy 23 Aug 2013 09:27:16 11,834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They could at the very least put an optional dungeon in, they're pretty traditional in these sorts of games. Generally they don't have any proper puzzles or much in the way of design, just floor after floor of super hard monsters to clear to reach a piece of rubbish loot at the end which makes you wonder why you bothered.

All created using existing assets so a few days work at most. Sadly, the number of dungeons in Zelda games has been steadily decreasing with each successive iteration when really you want to see the number of places you visit to explore and have adventures getting bumped up.
  • Kay 23 Aug 2013 10:00:03 17,763 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    They could at the very least put an optional dungeon in, they're pretty traditional in these sorts of games. Generally they don't have any proper puzzles or much in the way of design, just floor after floor of super hard monsters to clear to reach a piece of rubbish loot at the end which makes you wonder why you bothered.
    Wind Waker on the GC already had an optional dungeon/battle area like that.

Cappy wrote:
    Sadly, the number of dungeons in Zelda games has been steadily decreasing with each successive iteration when really you want to see the number of places you visit to explore and have adventures getting bumped up.
    Actually, that's wrong. TWW actually had more dungeons than the previous game, Majora's Mask (which only had four). And then in the next game, Twilight Princess, they made up for TWW's supposed lack of dungeons by going all out (TP had around 8 or 9 iirc).

Besides, more/less dungeons doesn't necessarily mean more/less places to "explore and have adventures" in, as Majora's Mask so beautifully demonstrated.

Edited by Kay at 10:01:57 23-08-2013
  • Cappy 23 Aug 2013 11:34:38 11,834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shame on you for picking on poor old Majora's Mask, the spin off side game, even then Majora's Mask had more mini dungeons, six in total.

No subsequent Zelda game has matched Ocarina of Time on number or size of dungeons, Twilight Princess has some pathetically small dungeons that are equivalent to an N64 Zelda mini dungeon and they're counted as main bumping up a pretty pathetic game.

Edited by Cappy at 11:35:28 23-08-2013
  • Raiftel 23 Aug 2013 11:41:14 163 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't say that I ever noticed the dungeons in Twilight Princess to be particularly small. They all seemed on par with Ocarina to me. The dungeons in Wind Waker felt massive though. Especially the last few. Didn't Skyward Sword have about 7 or 8 dungeons too.

The series is really erratic when it comes to stuff like that.
  • Ashleyfiddes 23 Aug 2013 11:43:04 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    i actually liked TP (after the fishing at the beginning)
  • Kay 23 Aug 2013 11:43:27 17,763 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you honestly thought the dungeons in TP were "pathetically small" compared to the N64 games, then you're going on some seriously rose-tinted memories.

Majora's Mask had four main dungeons, the mini-dungeon areas were just part of quests that led to the main dungeon. And, as I implied in my post, the lack of dungeons didn't make that any less of a Zelda game anyway.
  • Kay 23 Aug 2013 11:48:03 17,763 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raiftel wrote:
    I wouldn't say that I ever noticed the dungeons in Twilight Princess to be particularly small. They all seemed on par with Ocarina to me. The dungeons in Wind Waker felt massive though. Especially the last few. Didn't Skyward Sword have about 7 or 8 dungeons too.

The series is really erratic when it comes to stuff like that.
    They're clearly trying to blur the lines and place less importance on the dungeon formula - SS had six proper "dungeons", but the main overworld areas were often very intricate and dungeon-like, and in many cases took much longer to get through than the dungeons themselves.

Edited by Kay at 11:48:59 23-08-2013
  • Cappy 23 Aug 2013 12:43:22 11,834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    If you honestly thought the dungeons in TP were "pathetically small" compared to the N64 games, then you're going on some seriously rose-tinted memories.
    No I didn't merely think that, I actually made the effort and checked, pull up some maps of the forest temple Ocarina versus Twilight Princess for instance, one of them has nearly half the amount of rooms of the other.
  • mrpon 23 Aug 2013 12:46:39 28,495 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They better be the same fucking scale Cappy!!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Ashleyfiddes 23 Aug 2013 12:49:48 980 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When you get to the point of looking up and checking maps of both games to prove your point, I think you lose sight of the big picture
  • Page

of 25 First / Last