Is there an interest in oldies playing games? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • mal 29 Jan 2013 12:30:20 21,929 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dear god. Even I had trouble working out what you need to do in Slender. I don't know what to suggest really. What platforms do you have access to - and can record from?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ork4u 29 Jan 2013 16:40:08 6 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thanx Mal. I appreciate your comments. When teaching, it is me who is learning by realising how children think. You're spot on. Platforms? Railway station platforms? Don't forget, I don't know the terminology!

Rodpad - thanks for subscribing. Glad you're enjoying my fun. I'll have a go at your suggestion.
  • elstoof 29 Jan 2013 16:44:50 6,138 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I spend a lot of time going to care homes with a Twister mat and a bottle of Creme de Menthe if that's what you mean.

Edited by elstoof at 16:45:22 29-01-2013
  • mal 29 Jan 2013 21:42:25 21,929 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ork4u wrote:
    Platforms? Railway station platforms? Don't forget, I don't know the terminology!
    Heh, that was more a question for your son than you! ;) Platforms is shorthand for PC/games consoles/games handhelds. Are you PC only?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• DugBriderider 30 Jan 2013 10:16:18 514 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From the look of the Videos, they have access to Steam and a Control Pad. I only watched the Geometry Wars one (don't want to spoil Amnesia for myself) That was a bit on an unfair start, even experienced players would have a quick look at the Help menu on a new game.

I would recommend checking out the Steam Demos (free portions of a game), would be good for your purposes.

An easy start would be Toki Tori, my 3 year old can play that (Demo available)

Other quirky games with free demos available on Steam at for mid-spec PC's that might interest you.

Slow Paced
    Braid, Bookworm Adventures, Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

Faster (but not as fast a Geometry Wars)
    Torchlight, Zeno Clash, Majicka

Cheap but no Demo available
    Terraria , Awesomenauts

As a gamer with a family of non-gamers this series looks interesting, I've subscribed to the you tube channel.
  • ork4u 30 Jan 2013 10:19:02 6 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Oh we're limited to the PC at the moment. We used to have a Wii but allowed a Lagos family to borrow it and never saw it again. Sean says he'd get a 2nd hand console if people particularly wanted a game on one of them, but I'm happy with our computer.

DugBriderider: We'll certainly try out those ideas. I'm glad you like the videos - perhaps you'll try something similar with your family?

Edited by ork4u at 10:25:40 30-01-2013
  • MetalDog 30 Jan 2013 10:28:14 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have you tried playing keyboard and mouse yet? I remember learning to circle-strafe with a mouse after being a purely keyboarding shooter with DOOM and Quake.
    At first it seemed like an /impossible/ interface and I spent more time looking at floors and ceilings than I spend looking where I was going, but once it clicked (happens faster than you'd think) there was no going back. Suddenly Quake and Quake 2 became utterly different, amazing beasts to play.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Zizoo 30 Jan 2013 10:28:59 7,685 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Skyrim or maybe Fallout?
  • RobAnybody 30 Jan 2013 11:14:58 824 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Remember to try assorted genres - don't just stick to the tried and tested horror and action games. If you have a PS3 try 'Journey', and on the PC 'Dear Esther' and 'To The Moon'.
  • ork4u 31 Jan 2013 10:29:52 6 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    MetalDog: I've tried a few keyboard and mouse games but the only clicking so far has accompanied the grinding of my teeth. Do you think I should try 'Quake'?

ZizouFC and RobAnybody: All of your suggestions added to the ever-expanding list :)
  • motti82 31 Jan 2013 12:55:41 2,810 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just keep practising, my Dad is in his fifties and plays the latest Call of Duty in the xbox most nights.

He picked it up six years ago after watching my brother and me playing on cod4, and has never looked back since. It keeps him out of trouble anyway.
  • MetalDog 31 Jan 2013 13:34:32 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ork4u
    I'd suggest a newer game, if memory serves you still need to put +mlook into the console for Quake and the less effing about the better when you're learning - but if your son has it already and can turn mouselook on, go for it.

The way I learned, the friend who taught me said that if I got the hang of circle strafing, everything else would be a breeze. Circle strafing is when you basically rotate around a target shooting at it (like an angry moon around a sun) - you can use any stationary object in the game to practice - basically, you're just moving sideways with A or D and using the mouse to keep looking at the target. Don't worry about the shooting bit until you have the motion down pat.

If you can nail circle strafing outside the distraction of combat, you will find everything else falling into place and you'll spend a lot less time looking at ceilings and floors. If it's too hard, turn the mouse sensitivity up or down a bit until it feels better. Chances are, over time you'll want to increase the sensitivity so that a sharp sideways motion brings you about in a 180, but that's probably too fast to start with.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next