Edge magazine hits the 250th edition Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • ibenam 12 Jan 2013 14:39:51 1,499 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    It just seems like a total waste of money when the same info is online elsewhere, and the reviews themselves go up reasonably quickly.
    In the last couple of years Magazines moved away from reviews and concentrated on features.

This basically kept them going.

Oh and nothing beats a physical magazine on the shitter.
  • Fourwisemen 12 Jan 2013 19:40:39 182 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Edge has always been and still is the best traditional games mag (except maybe SuperPlay) and I subscribe to the iPad edition.

Maybe it's because I've gone digital but I've found myself not poring over the content the same way I did with the print copy. I used to pretty much read Edge cover to cover but now find myself flicking though it and don't know whether I get my monies worth.

Their website is ok, but can't compete with EG because otherwise they wouldn't have a product to sell and would need to become 100% ad supported. It feels like they are stuck in a halfway house at the mo.

No doubt I'll continue to buy it religiously, as I have done for many many years but do feel they need to be offering something more/different to continue to be relevant. Here's hoping.

PS it's a bit shit that the print copy has been put through letter boxes but Newsstand hasn't been updated...
  • kngbn79 12 Jan 2013 21:55:17 19 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fourwisemen I too subscribe to the ipad edition of edge and don't buy paper magazines at all anymore after absolutely adoring them up until the last few years when I couldn't really find the time to read them and so have cut down quite a lot, edge along with game informer (ipad) is the only games magazine I read anymore so no chance in hell of me cancelling unless they close, I can't totally let go of things I loved for so long
  • Gaol 12 Jan 2013 23:31:12 2,429 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    It just seems like a total waste of money when the same info is online elsewhere, and the reviews themselves go up reasonably quickly.
    Which is the problem print mags have in a nutsell. Thanks to the internet, a games mag isn't even worth the price of 2 beers.
  • Sarahshade 12 Jan 2013 23:53:34 139 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    God i cant remember the last time i picked up this magazine, but after all these comments I think il take a walk to the shop and buy a copy tomorrow!
    I used to read Game master when I was younger for the cheat books lol!

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• RobTheBuilder 12 Jan 2013 23:57:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As I'm looking for work I've stopped buying edge, but when I start again I'll go back to it. The best gaming mag bar none.
  • Fourwisemen 13 Jan 2013 00:09:27 182 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kngbn79

Old habits and disposable cash die hard..
  • barchetta 13 Jan 2013 00:36:49 1,370 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went back and flicked through some of my older copies, to take in the format changes over the years. Early, post launch copies were pretty busy - certainly of their time. The size has fluctuated, getting wider and running in slightly different proportions over the years but now looks to have found a smaller footprint (budgetary reasons?) that I don't engage with in the same way.

Granted, I have much less time nowadays, with family etc. but that only amplifes my preference for the much more skimmable, and legible, format of the first redesign around 2000.

Still, it retains a quality feel and being employed within print-industry production software I love the imaginative use of lacquers and special colours. Not something so easily replicable via Newstand editions.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 00:39:18
    @Sarahshade do it!!
  • Tonka 13 Jan 2013 07:59:30 21,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't read edge anymore. I can't stand the smell of Doritos.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Sarahshade 13 Jan 2013 10:11:20 139 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Pepsipop see the plan was to get up this morning and buy it but... My bed is too cosy and its far to forsty to venture outside!
    I will pay anyone a lovely sliver 50p if they get me it bring it to my house with a slushie and packet of mccoys! Thanks loadssss!!!

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• Cappy 13 Jan 2013 11:06:47 12,088 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't read Edge in ages so I'm oblivious to any real or perceived fall in quality, as with most things these days such as television, I'm not interested in an entire package of content, just very specific pieces.

It would be sad if they had to stop printing the magazine entirely, but that's the way of the World. Things that no longer work or prove useful to people, fall by the wayside.

The parts that interested me most were the features on games, Time Extend for instance, unshackled from a review format they could write in depth articles about games that were still interesting years after release. The value of that is obvious, nearly the entirety of gaming coverage is devoted to feverish pursuit of the new. To reflect on that which has passed is almost perverse in such a context.

The reviews and interviews were less useful to me. Though they should be applauded for sometimes putting the boot into hyped up vehicles that too often escape scrutiny on the strength of the brand alone, such as Final Fantasy and Mario Kart. Of course the inverse is also true, some niche titles have been shamefully treated also.

As for the interviews, there is only one I recall fondly, when a Microsoft exec reveals himself as a vacuous dimwit, parroting from a hymn sheet. Throughout the interview he can't stop using the word innovation, after a while the repetition becomes more and more ridiculous. It really works! The more you say it, the more innovative gamers think you are.

Unfortunately the web does the job better, now you have websites which provide the 'Time Extend' style content without the other stuff, so I can get the cherry ripple ice cream without the Brussels Sprouts on the side.
  • Youthist 13 Jan 2013 11:26:45 10,057 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Games TM is more enjoyable than EDGE. Also I just sold 157 issues of Edge to a collector chap in Luxembourg for 300. Good times.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• daft_punk_909 13 Jan 2013 11:36:56 57 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Fourwisemen agreed. I'm a long time subscriber who moved to digital a few months back. It looks lovely, but, I find myself reading much less. I actually don't really like the digital version: it takes ages to download; the writing is often found in a small section to scroll with the picture dominant; all the flash moving pictures etc.. make it much less readable, less flickable.

In fact, I might cancel my online subscription and go back to print!

Also, the choice of covers recently has been questionable. Would Transformers and Metal Gear Rising really have warranted covers a few years ago? I'd imagine Future ran those after they were paid for them. The Wii U launch didn't have a cover. New software launches always had a flash cover in Edge. Listening to the last PSM podcast I'd say the whole of Futures mags are struggling. Sad, but sign of the times.

PSN: daft_punk_909

• Fourwisemen 13 Jan 2013 19:56:50 182 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @daft_punk_909

I agree with a lot of what you're saying there.

Certainly the time it takes to download, and particularly become available in the library after dl.

I must admit considering going back to print too, although titles such as Evo will still get a digital download because it does offer a more substantial experience.
  • AaronTurner 26 Aug 2014 19:59:09 7,847 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought the Edge ipad edition today for a long commute. Wow, really impressed. It's beautifully laid out, has plenty of screen shots and the articles are fantastic. It's convinced me to keep my sub beyond the free period.
  • TarickStonefire 27 Aug 2014 07:23:05 3,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How much is it on an iPad, the sub?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Widge Moderator 27 Aug 2014 08:28:06 13,727 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was tempted in by computer music once, was frustrated that the video/media content streamed, thereby ruining the purpose of on train consumption.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• THFourteen 27 Aug 2014 08:30:11 34,223 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still get edge in print (mainly because you can't cancel subs online easily), but generally find most of the articles aren't that interesting anymore.

Also i don't have any new consoles, and their PC coverage is in general multi-format only.

Also get PC Gamer digital which i quite like once you get used to zooming in and out on the ipad mini.
  • jabberwoky 27 Aug 2014 11:19:34 527 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't read Edge now, but my main memory of it was its outrageously low review scores for very good games, and ludicrously high scores for poor ones, so it could be trendy and different.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2014 11:30:52
    I found the ipad ones a bit annoying when they first started. you had to wait a minute for each page to do some fancy animation before you could read it. Hopefully they've sorted that now that the novelty is gone.

I generally only buy it if I have a long train journey or something. Internet wins.
  • Max_Powers 27 Aug 2014 11:44:00 1,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been a subscriber for years to the print version (since the mid nineties), but timely deliver became so bad (I don't live in the UK), I cancelled that. Now I buy the digital edition regularly on my Android tablet.

Still a great magazine with great features. For reviews I tend to go with them and Eurogamer mostly.

Edited by Max_Powers at 11:44:28 27-08-2014
  • Humperfunk 27 Aug 2014 11:56:43 2,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    jabberwoky wrote:
    I don't read Edge now, but my main memory of it was its outrageously low review scores for very good games, and ludicrously high scores for poor ones, so it could be trendy and different.
    It's like a print version of EG.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• AceGrace 27 Aug 2014 15:33:21 1,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I stopped buying it a few years ago because it seemed to have less technical content and more opinion pieces and columns by people I hadn't heard off and didn't care to read.

It became too dry.

Edited by AceGrace at 15:33:46 27-08-2014

www.performathon.co.uk

The easy way to find local, live musicians and entertainment.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next