Pokemon X/Y Page 5

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Murbal 7 Oct 2013 15:29:33 21,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't get into gaming until the age of 22 - my first Playstation - when I was working. No gaming as a student (well, aside from a little bit of X-wing) :-)
  • Murbal 7 Oct 2013 15:40:38 21,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interestingly, the review from Pocket Gamer highlighted things that actually put me off buying it. Horrendous frame rate when 3D is on and the fact that it's incredibly easy.They've marked down Vita games for less ;-)

But hey, you can play dress-up. 10/10.

Perhaps I'd be better off looking for a cheap copy of B&W 1 or 2 instead?
  • Grax 7 Oct 2013 15:46:21 1,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Honestly Pokemon games are as easy or as hard as you make them, my insistence on evolving my starter before the end of route one has meant the games have never troubled me, rushing through it without battling much would make them much harder. I personally find enjoyment in crushing all comers and levelling up my team, having said that I never got into the ev's and stuff it was just took away from my enjoyment of the game .
  • gingerninja2112 7 Oct 2013 18:53:06 32 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Grax wrote:
    Honestly Pokemon games are as easy or as hard as you make them, my insistence on evolving my starter before the end of route one has meant the games have never troubled me, rushing through it without battling much would make them much harder. I personally find enjoyment in crushing all comers and levelling up my team, having said that I never got into the ev's and stuff it was just took away from my enjoyment of the game .
    im the same :D so looking forward to pokemon x just got to wait til the end of the week!
  • Daryoon 8 Oct 2013 00:29:46 4,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pokemon is the sort of game built for self-imposed challenges. But, really, the challenge was never supposed to lie in the 'main' game (the eight gyms). It lies in the post game tournaments and battle facilities, and (more than anything) in other people.

Edited by Daryoon at 13:43:16 08-10-2013
  • TheMayorOfJugs 8 Oct 2013 01:19:26 3,140 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Pokemon is the sort of game built for self-imposed challenges. But, really, the challenge wasn't never supposed to lie in the 'main' game (the eight gyms). It lies in the post game tournaments and battle facilities, and (more than anything) in other people.
    Exactly. I'll have a run through with every starter, nuzlockes, monotype teams, slow teams, bipedals only, etc.

4 days. :-D
  • Popzeus 8 Oct 2013 16:41:42 8,272 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    I didn't get into gaming until the age of 22 - my first Playstation - when I was working. No gaming as a student (well, aside from a little bit of X-wing) :-)
    Not sure why but I'd always had you pegged as a Speccy owner! Ah well, better late than never :)

I was already a games veteran by the time I got to university, I played Pokemon Red on a Gameboy emulator running on an old Pentium 1 desktop!

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Murbal 8 Oct 2013 18:28:37 21,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Popzeus I was a Speccy gamer. I just had a sabbatical from gaming from my early teens :-)
  • Murbal 8 Oct 2013 18:31:26 21,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should have specified console gaming ;-)
  • zoolophage 8 Oct 2013 20:40:33 1,607 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I always seem to have the problem that 2 of my Pokemon are way stronger than the rest of the team and they eventually win most battles with one or 2 hits. I'd like a more balanced team but I guess that means a lot more grinding or deliberately not using the stronger ones. I'm playing Pokemon Black right now and found it fairly tough right at the start. I just got the 5th gym badge and am doing ok but certainly using more potions etc than in previous games.

I've always played Pokemon for the single player rpg aspect but may jump into online stuff with this version as the online features seem well implemented.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• markini6 8 Oct 2013 23:23:31 8 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's your lucky day then, in quite a few reviews I've seen mention of an item or skill or magical pokémon doohickey that you find early(ish) on that lets your team gain 50% XP, even if you don't use them. Before there was a lucky egg that would allow one pokémon to do that, your whole party sounds quite useful.
  • MatMan562 9 Oct 2013 16:19:47 2,319 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hate to be the one to put this thread into that stage, but... ShopTo just dispatched my copy of Pokemon X. Going by their previous, I should get it tomorrow, 2 days before it's official release! I wonder if the Staurday release has anything to do with that.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• DuvaDan88 9 Oct 2013 17:10:28 539 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just want GAME to send me my code (I know I can't use it yet just want it so I'm ready) reading up a lot on this and really looking forward to it. First time since Blue that I've really wanted to play a Pokemon game.

Xbox, Steam - DuvaDan
    3DS 4639-9278-1687
    Feel free to add me

• Grax 9 Oct 2013 17:46:17 1,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @MatMan562 grainger games have dispatched aswell :) apparently I get a free pack of Pokemon trading cards as well which are going in the bin lol
  • DFawkes 9 Oct 2013 17:56:11 22,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    I hate to be the one to put this thread into that stage, but... ShopTo just dispatched my copy of Pokemon X. Going by their previous, I should get it tomorrow, 2 days before it's official release!
    Damn. I did have a little resolve left, but if there's even a minor chance Shopto would get it to me on Friday I guess I'll go for it now instead of poppnig to the shops like I know I'd have ended up doing anyway.

Do let us know if you do get it tomorrow.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• MatMan562 9 Oct 2013 19:51:42 2,319 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DFawkes Will do! Assuming I can stop amassing an army of slaves for a minute anyway!

• cheeky_prawnking 9 Oct 2013 19:57:24 4,281 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Will go pick this up Saturday hopefully, really looking forward to it. Probably won't get to play it till Sunday though :(
  • TenderChicken 10 Oct 2013 09:34:16 990 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My copy was dispatched by ShopTo too - I'll let you know if it arrives today.

PSN: TenderChicken
    Xbox Live: TenderChicken1

• Grax 10 Oct 2013 09:48:27 1,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Why isn't the post here yet :(
  • Grax 10 Oct 2013 11:35:31 1,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    :( no Pokemon for me today and I have tomorrow off work so won't get it then eother
  • Murbal 10 Oct 2013 11:47:55 21,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Grax blame the Postemon. Sorry
  • TheMayorOfJugs 10 Oct 2013 11:55:07 3,140 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Grax Damn you Grax, was looking forward to a sensible EGer's impressions!

Anyone long time fan that gets it early please post, all the reviews berate the amount of old pokemon *re-used*, but in portable 3d, we all know how silly that criticism is ;-)

Edited by TheMayorOfJugs at 11:55:33 10-10-2013
  • TenderChicken 10 Oct 2013 13:59:51 990 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mine has been delivered from ShopTo. Will let you guys know my thoughts when I get a chance to play it!

PSN: TenderChicken
    Xbox Live: TenderChicken1

• Grax 10 Oct 2013 14:11:35 1,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @TenderChicken *squinty eyes* I don't like you
  • MatMan562 10 Oct 2013 15:29:14 2,319 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mine arrived today! I've already spent a little under 3 hours on it and I really love everything I've seen so far! Knowing I'd be able to get a Charmander later, I chose Chespin to start. He's alright... but I have replaced him as my main already with Pikachu! I've been a fan of Pokemon since I was 3 or 4 I think so I couldn't resist Pikachu. I really like the variety of pokemon that are there at the moment, if I hadn't have purposefully found some to train up I would have only seen a couple of repeats I think. My only dissapointment so far is that it only seems to be the battles that are in "proper" 3D (is stereoscopic the right term?), the rest is in "flat" 3D, but I'm probably in the minority for being dissapointed by that.

Overall I'm very impressed so far and I'm looking forward to playing more!

• Grax 10 Oct 2013 15:32:42 1,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Is anyone getting a guide??? I haven't had one since I brought the special edition onm with blue (used to carry it around with me everywhere and had memorised all 151 of them

Thinking I might go l out again and get the official guide
  • Grax 10 Oct 2013 15:34:16 1,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @MatMan562 thanks for the impressions, :) really looking forward to this now. 3 hours in and no charms set :( was hoping to get my squirtle early doors
  • MatMan562 10 Oct 2013 15:39:50 2,319 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Grax I have only done the first gym so far and I think I'm on my way to the professor now who I believe gives you one of the original starters. You could probably get there quite a bit quicker if you wanted but I wanted to train up my Pikachu and take my time a bit.

• Grax 10 Oct 2013 15:41:45 1,846 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    yeah, i can imagine it will be closer to 6 or 7 hours, will level up at least my starter and maybe one other pokemon before i even get to the first gym, i am pretty anal like that
  • captain_markyboy 10 Oct 2013 16:11:24 250 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've never really played a pokemon game before. I ordered pokemon x for my son, and it came today. Of course I had a quick go on it before he gets home from school.....

I don't know what to think really, seems really repetitive at the moment. I played for about an hour, and found it actually annoying walking through the long grass and coming across the same few pokemon all the time. Battle, same animations, repeat......

Does it get any more exciting than that or is that essentially the game?

I was tempted to get the pokemon Y for myself so I could play against my son, trade etc. not sure now....
  • Page

of 17 First / Last