Unpopular gaming opinions Page 47

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Kay 9 Jan 2013 13:17:43 17,798 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To me, achievements/trophies are not about the gamerscore, but rather the OCD aspect. That's why I'll try and get as many achievements as possible, simply so that I can say that I'm thoroughly done with the game and can now put it aside and move on. That's why it annoys me having a game with only 1 achievement unlocked, for example. It's really silly, I'll admit.

Of course, I'll only bother if it's a game I actually enjoy and have played through.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 13:19:22 86,743 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion that anyone that early adopts a console is a mug with more money than sense (and I say this as someone who has done it with pretty much every console since the Playstation 1).

You gain absolutely nothing by getting a console early. You pay over the odds for what is in likelihood flawed hardware, and with all the good games yet to come. You also run the risk of the console flopping and you being left with a piece of pointless crap clogging up your front room.

It's retarded.
    You can apply this logic to literally every piece of tech released in the last 20 years. Being an early adopter of anything is a cunts game where you play the beta tester.
    Well, any tech that requires ongoing support for it to work yes. Early adopters of the latest Dyson hoover will pay a premium for something that might be flawed, but at least they'll still have a hoover that cleans their floor for the foreseeable future.

Things like consoles or HD-DVD players. Yes, you're mugs.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Jan 2013 13:19:52 35,483 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Achievements have a dreadful tendency to celebrate the banal.

Start game *You started the game!*
    Get through tutorial *You finished the tutorial!*
    Shoot gun *You shot a gun for the first time!*
    Die clumsily *You fell off a cliff!*
    Yeah, I find that a bit annoying as well. I tolerate (secret) achievements for something unusual that you wouldn't get automatically, or (obviously not secret) achievements that nudge you to try something different, gameplay-wise, than you normally would have.
  • whatfruit 9 Jan 2013 13:19:57 1,403 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @disusedgenius recognnition for what? and from whom?

I await the day when some kid puts on his CV "I am a born perfectionist which one can see from my impeccable gamerscore in maxing out all achivements."
  • RyanDS 9 Jan 2013 13:52:11 9,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Achievements are pointless but I don't see any reason to actively dislike them. They're there if you like them, if not ignore them.
    They have destroyed modding and cheats codes,
  • Deckard1 9 Jan 2013 13:58:52 27,563 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not the cheat codes!! Anything but the cheat codes!

Hush you ponce

• Trane 9 Jan 2013 14:03:32 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hated Bioshock. Halo is/was very average.
  • ronuds 9 Jan 2013 14:03:54 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Games are so easy now that you don't need cheat codes.
  • glaeken 9 Jan 2013 14:07:52 11,119 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mine is I did not like Half-life 2. I got bored and never finished it. I got to the bit where I was fighting some tripod thing and had some followers who kept getting in my way.

Edited by glaeken at 14:08:31 09-01-2013
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 14:08:30 86,743 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pah, cheat codes.

Pokes were where it's at.
  • kinky_mong 9 Jan 2013 14:13:15 10,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Achievements are pointless but I don't see any reason to actively dislike them. They're there if you like them, if not ignore them.
    This.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• King_Edward 9 Jan 2013 14:20:00 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't like that they're compulsory. Should be at the dev's discretion, like everything really.

Edited by King_Edward at 14:20:18 09-01-2013
  • RyanDS 9 Jan 2013 14:20:51 9,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Not the cheat codes!! Anything but the cheat codes!
    You can take my prince bypass megahit from my cold dead hands.
  • ronuds 9 Jan 2013 14:22:09 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It seems the unpopular opinion would be to like achievements then.
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 14:58:49 8,108 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    They don't bother me either way, but they seem to ruin the fun for ocd gamers who must collect all the feathers/hidden packages/pigeons. Having a friend explain why they won't play a multiplayer game with you because of achievements is a bit sad really. Removing them entirely would save ocd gamers from having to complete shit games so they can start enjoying gaming again.

The only achievements I like are ones in high score games e.g. Trials, spelunky, pacman etc. If done well they can add an interesting challenge to the game. As someone else said the Fable 2 achievements can be quite funny too.

Edited by andytheadequate at 15:01:48 09-01-2013
  • bad09 9 Jan 2013 14:58:53 5,759 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Mine is I did not like Half-life 2. I got bored and never finished it. I got to the bit where I was fighting some tripod thing and had some followers who kept getting in my way.
    I honestly don't think that's a unpopular opinion really it's just Valve has some right fanatical fans. Say you didn't like HL2 and they'll hunt down your first born.
  • glaeken 9 Jan 2013 15:41:50 11,119 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I donít know whenever I have ever mentioned that I don't rate HL2 it's never seemed like a popular opinion. A lot of gamers seem to hold it in very high regard. Possibly we are reaching the stage where it was so popular it's actually cool not to like it now.
  • Widge Moderator 9 Jan 2013 16:28:36 13,383 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't look at Half Life 2 and think "well I can't wait for a sequel to THAT", which is why I have general disdain for comment threads that turn around to "so what about Half Life 3 then?" every time Gabe tries to talk about something.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Kay 9 Jan 2013 16:43:35 17,798 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think people ask about HL3 so much because, from what I've read, they want a resolution to whatever happened in Episodes 1 and 2. Seeing as Episode 3 is clearly never coming out.
  • oceanmotion 9 Jan 2013 16:45:55 15,759 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Kill Death Ratios should die a slow and painful death.
    I wish. Why devs still have them in objective gametypes, I don't know, you just give gamers another reason not to play properly. It's so bloody obvious,
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 16:49:43 8,108 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Although I agree with you about not showing kd ratios on leaderboards or the game scoreboard, I still think it should appear in the stats page so you can see your own.

I love stats in fps games...
  • King_Edward 9 Jan 2013 16:50:33 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I don't look at Half Life 2 and think "well I can't wait for a sequel to THAT", which is why I have general disdain for comment threads that turn around to "so what about Half Life 3 then?" every time Gabe tries to talk about something.
    Yeah, but at least HL3 could happen. People asking for Shenmue 3 are just heartbreaking to see.
  • oceanmotion 9 Jan 2013 16:51:46 15,759 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Half Life 2 - Textures, Gravity Gun and Alyx.

I think it aged rather fast and could have done with some editing. Not a bad game, just one foot firmly in the past in a nice package, that was old before we got to play it.
  • AcidSnake 9 Jan 2013 16:55:41 7,233 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Although I agree with you about not showing kd ratios on leaderboards or the game scoreboard, I still think it should appear in the stats page so you can see your own.

I'd still like objective MP games to have a nice "AwesomePlayer armed the MCOM!" or whatever pop up in the corner instead of "SkillSnip0rzXxX156 shot TruMarinezUSABullDogs34"...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 16:56:52 59,300 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It came out nine years ago.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 17:00:58 8,108 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:

I'd still like objective MP games to have a nice "AwesomePlayer armed the MCOM!" or whatever pop up in the corner instead of "SkillSnip0rzXxX156 shot TruMarinezUSABullDogs34"...
    In day of defeat, it showed your kills and deaths but the scoreboard was based on number of flags captured. Perhaps something like that would work?
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 17:05:26
    It just needs on more emphasis on teamwork rather than how much of a selfish whore you in making yourself look good at the expense of everybody elses' experience.
  • MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 17:07:33 23,697 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Half Life 2 - Textures, Gravity Gun and Alyx.

I think it aged rather fast and could have done with some editing. Not a bad game, just one foot firmly in the past in a nice package, that was old before we got to play it.
    HL2 is the first game I remember seeing different body language on key characters and all characters moving their eyes before they turned their heads. It pleased me enormously - I just fucking loved seeing people not do that whole-body-turn-to-look thing, not even the whole head! And I loved seeing character in their movements, Alyx's energy, Judith's reserve and tension in the way she'd cross her arms over her body, grip one elbow or come close to wringing her hands.

Mo-cap had been done before (Thief's animations had a lot of that), but it's the first time I remember being able to recognise someone just by the way they moved and it filled me with joy.

Anyone else, or shall I thank the face-blindness for how much that aspect pleased me?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• oceanmotion 9 Jan 2013 17:16:40 15,759 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the way characters looked at you and moved, even the idle chat was so well done. Hardly anything compares, even now which is quite sad.

Simple stuff like that add so much and I think Half Life 3 will do similar things with basic stuff that has stayed the same for so long.

Halo 4 showed a nice improvement in cut scenes with facial stuff but in game, still a load of shit.
  • bad09 9 Jan 2013 17:21:28 5,759 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:

Yeah, but at least HL3 could happen. People asking for Shenmue 3 are just heartbreaking to see.
    You just lack faith. It will happen. IT WILL! IT WILL! IT WILL!

/ cries in the corner
  • Page

of 130 First / Last