Steambox - Valve's console

• Page

of 28 First / Last

Previous
  • Dirtbox 9 Dec 2012 04:24:23 78,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tentative name for the now confirmed hardware.

Kotaku link

Yeah, so commercial grade HTPC's are going to be a thing, designed and built by Valve and looking likely to regulate, up to a point, the minefield of PC hardware. No bad thing in theory.

Hopefully they won't ditch windows and create a forth linux based platform just to go head to head with Windows 8's store.

Also, thinking about it for a minute that means they're likely to make some sort of gaming controller. This could turn out quite nicely for PC gamers as a whole but there are a few holes in the plot as far as EA and Ubi go, who are equally likely to try and release their own boxes at some point. Not that it'll do them or anyone any good.

Edited by Dirtbox at 04:28:55 09-12-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• MrTomFTW Moderator 9 Dec 2012 09:55:29 38,221 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder who this is actually for though? It just seems like this weird halfway house between console and PC, and no doubt it'll be download titles only. I'm just not sure who the target audience is.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Dirtbox 9 Dec 2012 09:58:29 78,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's for those twats who wang on about couches and social lives.

• CharlieStCloud 9 Dec 2012 10:02:20 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It's for those twats who wang on about couches and social lives.
    Like me...!

This is quite interesting because with the Wii U out of the way, the next two are on their way along with Valve's Steambox ... the 'technology race' is hotting up so to speak.

My dream would be to see Half-Life 3 launch on the day the Steambox is available. It's common business sense really!
  • sport 9 Dec 2012 10:02:40 12,732 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This will be perfect for me. I have a social life so I can't be arsed sitting in front of a PC all day. Much prefer lounging on the couch for a quick game these days.
  • Dirtbox 9 Dec 2012 10:05:21 78,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait, sport isn't a twat. Maybe I've got it all wrong.

I need to re-evaluate my stance, my life and my wardrobe.

• sport 9 Dec 2012 10:10:08 12,732 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :-D

Either way, Garry will deliver a top notch system.
  • superdelphinus 9 Dec 2012 10:10:47 8,065 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you think it will be upgradeable?
  • Dirtbox 9 Dec 2012 10:15:18 78,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I sort of don't want it to be, but it's not like valve to lop of functionality at the expense of the user.

It could well be a sealed box with on-board parts though to keep the price at the same as the shitty consoles. And lets face it, they'll all shit themselves if an affordable TV based PC hits their market, they've been spending so long cornering it with their closed ecosystems that it's likely to really fuck things up for everyone. It's the nearest anyone will ever come to an open console and that in itself is a nightmare for the status quo.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:19:26 09-12-2012

• Popzeus 9 Dec 2012 10:17:01 8,330 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you can run XBMC on it I'd definitely get one to replace the shitty HTPC I've got now.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Deleted user 9 December 2012 10:18:44
    If several different companies release their own 'Living room PCs' there's going to be a shit storm.
  • Trafford 9 Dec 2012 10:25:01 5,791 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm interested, I only use a PC for gaming and storage anyway.
    Next year I'm aiming at building or buying a new one to go under the TV in my one bedroom flat.
    So living space and convenience are factors for me.
    If it launches within a few weeks of the release of TW Rome 2 I'll probably bite.
  • Dirtbox 9 Dec 2012 10:31:29 78,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, seems there is a mention of it being 'tightly controlled' so that spells doom for people wanting to have a regular PC. More than likely it'll have it's own blend of linux. Not that you couldn't hack it to pieces if you had a mind to.

• graysonavich 9 Dec 2012 10:36:14 7,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Considering my PC is inches away from my telly I won't lose too much sleep over this, but a live grenade being dropped between the Xbox 3 and Play Station 4 will be amusing
  • Mr-Brett 9 Dec 2012 10:36:35 12,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope tightly controlled doesn't mean it's locked to steam only as much as I like steam I wouldn't want a box that couldn't play games the old fashioned way or even god forbid through Origin or Uplay.

Edited by Mr-Brett at 10:36:53 09-12-2012

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Dirtbox 9 Dec 2012 10:38:34 78,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If it's running linux there's little chance of any of that. The more I read about it, the more I believe it's going to be a massive fuck up.

Valve is in a precarious position when it comes to rattling it's sabres about windows 8. Well over 90% of it's user base is on windows after all.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:43:50 09-12-2012

• Deleted user 9 December 2012 11:48:24
    If there's a standard spec of sorts maybe more devs will pull their fingers out with regards to decent ports and optimisation.
  • Kostabi 9 Dec 2012 12:30:29 4,927 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder if they're more likely to follow the Google model? As in, release their own hardware and then expect other companies to push out their own models while sticking to a uniform spec sheet.

'Steambox ready' branded Dells or whatever would probably catch on.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 12:38:37
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    If there's a standard spec of sorts maybe more devs will pull their fingers out with regards to decent ports and optimisation.
    That would be good, but this is just going to be another set up to optimise for. Not the system to optimise for. However, the more refined and closed off PCs become the better for gamers!
  • graysonavich 9 Dec 2012 12:44:14 7,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I was thinking about Far Cry 3 and all it's batshit insane design choices and I came to the conclusion that; we're seeing decisions being made by people who could have feasibly grown up playing just modern-day consoles.

If a game consistently breaks a handful of well known must-nots, it can't just be down to sheer lazy porting.
  • Bremenacht 9 Dec 2012 16:10:48 18,275 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yeah, so commercial grade HTPC's are going to be a thing, designed and built by Valve and looking likely to regulate, up to a point, the minefield of PC hardware. No bad thing in theory.

Hopefully they won't ditch windows and create a forth linux based platform just to go head to head with Windows 8's store.
    I hope they do ditch Windows and go all-in with a closely-coupled Linux/Steam OS. The only danger -apart from losing an awful lot of money- is that they become the new Microsoft and get into control-freakery.

Perhaps they'll allow dual-boot anyway.
  • oceanmotion 9 Dec 2012 16:37:14 15,951 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the route they would go is Linux only but if you want to put Windows on it yourself, you can but Valve won't offer it.

If they could design a nice PC in a box that is reasonably quiet and simple enough to set up for a good price, I would buy one.

I suspect they will offer some custom boot option for other manufactures to use rather than full out steam box, more a feature for certain PCs.

Be interesting to see how upgradable and powerful it may be. Don't think we will see this before the new consoles.
  • JayG 9 Dec 2012 16:46:03 844 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really don't see the point of this, if your a console player you are probably happy enough with the way it is, and if you like PC you probably won't be too happy with the one company (Valve) totally controlling what was once open source. Most of the stuff that interests me on PC isn't suited to controller control, and stuff that is controller control works fine on consoles. And the PC doesn't have any exclusive content that would make people buy it. MS has Halo, Fable, Playstation has Uncharted, the PC has no such exclusives. Even GTA 5 isn't going to be released for at least 6 months.

Only way this is even feasible is a PC exclusive of Half Life 3, and Valve isn't going to do that.
  • Mr-Brett 9 Dec 2012 16:49:45 12,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Valve aren't going to make HL3? what ever? :,(

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Fake_Blood 9 Dec 2012 17:03:30 4,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As long as it doesn't run win8 it's fine for me.
    It'd be nice to see a semi closed system where devs can really push the hardware.
  • Lukus 9 Dec 2012 18:14:24 19,114 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Valve are the new Apple.

Paintings & Photographs

• graysonavich 9 Dec 2012 18:15:35 7,353 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All hail Gaben leader of the free world.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 18:15:58
    Lukus wrote:
    Valve are the new Apple.
    Think Dirtbox just got diabetes.

Edited by mowgli at 18:16:09 09-12-2012
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Dec 2012 18:23:36 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    See if it's a 350 device that uses Linux and offers the full steam library at next gen console levels, I can see it taking off for those who can't afford top spec pc's.

And. Because its steam/Linux it allows them to launch updated specs each year without ruining comparability.
  • Metalfish 9 Dec 2012 18:31:44 8,818 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This could go in so many directions. I remember the initial discussions when microsoft entered the console space, and the original xbox turned out to be one of my favourite consoles ever despite being very sceptical at first.
  • Page

of 28 First / Last

Previous