First world problems...what to do with iPad.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • altitude2k 23 Nov 2012 09:19:03 3,155 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok, this post is going to make me sound like the most incredibly ungrateful person.

To say thanks for some work I recently did, my boss bought me and a colleague each a shiny new iPad 16gb 4th gen, all boxed and sealed. A great gift, and yet while outwardly I was chuffed, inside I immediately thought "I really don't want this". Let me explain.

I'm not a fan boy, but I'm leaning heavily on the MS side at the moment. I love my 360 and my WP, and I love the idea of it all being connected under a single ecosystem that follows me where I want to go and what I want to do. With that in mind I had convinced myself that I wanted a Surface, either that or the Pro version next year. I love the tile interface too, which helps a lot.

Keeping the iPad now feels a buy like it would get in the way, because I can't justify getting another tablet if I already have one.

So, being all sealed means I can probably get 350+ on ebay for in which I can use towards a Surface, right? Well this is the dillema. As I said, I'm not a fan boy and I know that the iPad has the better hardware, better screen and better selection of apps and even has SmartGlass going on. But there's still this feeling that it won't fit nicely into the tech ecosystem I've got going on, like my Xbox gaming, Xbox Music etc. Plus I find the tiled interface of Windows 8 infinitely better than iOS (personal preference).

Do my question to anyone who has an iPad and 360 and maybe even a WP, how well does it fit in with everything? Is it a pain in the ass having to use two bits of software to sync your different devices and keep seperate music libraries up to date?
  • JuanKerr 23 Nov 2012 09:23:22 36,094 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Give it to a homeless person.
  • RyanDS 23 Nov 2012 09:24:03 8,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have a mixture myself and it is a fucking pain trying to get the iPad to work nicely with the PC.

So I don't. I keep the iPad as a web browser / app store / media player (using 3rd party apps to move stuff between the two, none of that itunes shit) and it all works great.
  • Chopsen 23 Nov 2012 09:25:04 15,161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sell it and spend the money on a weekend break somewhere.
  • mrpon 23 Nov 2012 09:26:22 27,644 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Obviously your boss is going to want to see you using it.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• altitude2k 23 Nov 2012 09:27:29 3,155 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    I have a mixture myself and it is a fucking pain trying to get the iPad to work nicely with the PC.

So I don't. I keep the iPad as a web browser / app store / media player (using 3rd party apps to move stuff between the two, none of that itunes shit) and it all works great.
    Ok, good. Thanks.

Now SmartGlass is also a good argument to keep it involved in what I've got going on, but have you heard anything about an Xbox Music app to at least let me use that service?
  • coastal 23 Nov 2012 09:27:47 5,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Word Processor?

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Moot_Point 23 Nov 2012 09:29:58 3,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Let's ask the audience if you are a fanboy...

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Triggerhappytel 23 Nov 2012 09:30:36 2,664 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Assuming your boss won't find out just sell it and get a Surface. If he asks how it is just say it's great, you use it for web browsing all the time but generally keep it at your girlfriend's/boyfriend's house or your kids play with it loads, or something. I.e, a decent reason why you never bring it into work.
  • altitude2k 23 Nov 2012 09:35:47 3,155 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    It crossed my mind, but considering I work off in another office full time and he only pops in once every couple of weeks, will he?
  • Popzeus 23 Nov 2012 09:43:31 8,250 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    This.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• RyanDS 23 Nov 2012 09:44:57 8,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:

Ok, good. Thanks.

Now SmartGlass is also a good argument to keep it involved in what I've got going on, but have you heard anything about an Xbox Music app to at least let me use that service?
    Have to be honest I would never consider an iPad for music. Smartphones etc are just so much better for that purpose in every respect. Videos on the other hand are wonderful on the iPad.
  • THFourteen 23 Nov 2012 09:45:35 31,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    is your boss an idiot, in which case you might be able to convince him you rooted your ipad and installed windows 8 on it.
  • RyanDS 23 Nov 2012 09:45:45 8,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, and in 5 days Baldur's Gate is released on the iPad. Which automatically makes the iPad 5000000% better.
  • THFourteen 23 Nov 2012 09:46:10 31,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or have you got a wife/kids who can use it?
  • altitude2k 23 Nov 2012 09:59:59 3,155 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a bit like me having lots of different Lego sets (I'm an adult, though, so obviously I don't really...ahem). They are all different toys and fun on their own, but they work even better when used together.

And then your naive Aunt buys you a remote controlled car. Awesome on its own, but how is that going to help me build my giant model of Optimus Prime?
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Nov 2012 10:00:14 38,899 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What is a tablet for?

Web browsing and casual games?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• altitude2k 23 Nov 2012 10:02:36 3,155 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Or have you got a wife/kids who can use it?
    Yeah the wife could take it on if I still decide I want to get something else. Seems like a waste of can though. Let her buy her own damn tablet!
  • THFourteen 23 Nov 2012 10:05:51 31,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    It's a bit like me having lots of different Lego sets (I'm an adult, though, so obviously I don't really...ahem). They are all different toys and fun on their own, but they work even better when used together.

And then your naive Aunt buys you a remote controlled car. Awesome on its own, but how is that going to help me build my giant model of Optimus Prime?
    BUT

one day you are bored of your lego and you start playing with the remote controlled car... then you realise how great it is and next thing you know you are building your own RC vehicles that run on real gas and taking it to events to race against other users on special dirt tracks with ramps and obstacles

i'm a windows fan, always used windows for everything, but i do (did) love my ipad. Might be worth giving it a go, sure you cant do some of the things you could do with a surface, but the apps and games are second to none, and the screen on the 4 is amazing
  • Steve_Perry 23 Nov 2012 10:13:26 2,443 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just swap it for a surface, get an iOS screensaver for it, and whenever your boss comes near you flick it on and pretend you are using an iPad.

Or, buy a surface and keep the ipad as a nice coffee coaster.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• sport 23 Nov 2012 10:13:41 12,045 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    one day you are bored of your lego
    GTFO!
  • Zizoo 23 Nov 2012 10:14:00 7,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Give it a poor African.

PM with my postal address incoming.
  • altitude2k 23 Nov 2012 10:17:04 3,155 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sport wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    one day you are bored of your lego
    GTFO!
    THIS
  • sport 23 Nov 2012 10:17:44 12,045 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Give it a poor African.

PM with my postal address incoming.
    "Well tonight thank God it's him insteeeeaaaaad of you"
  • altitude2k 23 Nov 2012 10:20:31 3,155 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just need to man up and just enjoy the fucking iPad, don't I?
  • thelzdking 23 Nov 2012 10:25:50 3,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes.
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Nov 2012 10:27:39 38,899 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    What is a tablet for?

Web browsing and casual games?
    This is a genuine question. I don't know why people get all fussed about tablets.

/Galaxy tab 10.1

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Tonka 23 Nov 2012 10:29:23 19,840 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The iPad isn't all that tbh.

There is no decent media player that will stream videos from a NAS. There are some, sure, but they are laughably poor compared to free stuff on Android.

Sure, there are games for it that are good. But that usually entails a "for being on a touch device".

It's OK for lazy browsing but as soon as you want to "do" stuff (book tickets, buy something, whine on EG) the touch interface is frustrating. This will be true for any tablet you buy though.

Stick with your plan to keep it all under one umbrella (ella ella oh oh oh).

AirPlay is nice with the iPad but then you need an Apple TV and that is another gated piece of fucking trash. Plus, you'd get that with Smart Glass anyways.

Sell the bloody thing and use the money to get a Windows tablet. Or don't. Get a Windows Phone instead.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Fab4 23 Nov 2012 10:35:58 5,691 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mostly use mine as a digital sketchbook, so interoperability isnt much of an issue.

But, not to sound like a fan boy, I wouldn't touch a Surface with a barge pole. Its a "wait there one moment, I have the very thing for you in the storeroom" product. Its a stop-gap until the Pro version comes out.
  • RyanDS 23 Nov 2012 10:39:05 8,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In theory I would rather have a Surface than the iPad.

However I'd take 4th gen iPad over 1st gen Surface any day. When the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the surface is release, with inevitable issues ironed out then I will reconsider.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous