Planetside 2 Page 21

• Page

of 63 First / Last

• Widge Moderator 13 Dec 2012 10:08:39 13,268 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EVIL tactic used on us last night. Guys deploying to the top of those thin towers with the 4 X aircraft pads. Near impossible to take them out (deploying on the top leaves you disorientated, jetpacking up there can leave you outnumbered and the angle is too tight to get any decent shots away from down below), they can reign fire down on everyone below, meaning that it is very difficult to take out air support or give cover to the people below.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• captbirdseye 13 Dec 2012 10:21:43 4,787 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    EVIL tactic used on us last night. Guys deploying to the top of those thin towers with the 4 X aircraft pads. Near impossible to take them out (deploying on the top leaves you disorientated, jetpacking up there can leave you outnumbered and the angle is too tight to get any decent shots away from down below), they can reign fire down on everyone below, meaning that it is very difficult to take out air support or give cover to the people below.
    I saw that aswell last night and couldn't for the life of me figure out where they were shooting from until I looked up. It switched sides later where we pod dropped on their aircraft pads.
  • Tryhard 13 Dec 2012 11:28:06 3,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I watched some of the Enclave TR's live stream last night. Nine platoons drop podding on to an enemy base and getting screwed over by enemy air cover.So the Enclave leader makes them all respawn back at a friendly base,and nine platoons of Mosquito's go back to clear out the air and armour.Then they charge into the base clearing out the infantry.Amazing action.
  • Progguitarist 13 Dec 2012 22:55:33 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, that's a huge disappointment :( It runs like dogshit on my new PC :(
  • MightyMouse 13 Dec 2012 23:03:31 1,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Don't give up too easily. It's very temperamental and a bit buggy right now and minor changes to settings can make it run fine. I haven't had many problems but there's loads of advice on the subreddit.
  • Progguitarist 13 Dec 2012 23:08:09 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Turns out my GFX card sucks.
  • andytheadequate 13 Dec 2012 23:19:09 8,083 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Progguitarist - which one do you have?
  • Progguitarist 13 Dec 2012 23:20:12 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ATI Radeon 5450.

It's a 2gb card ;_;

How can it be so shit?

/been out of the PC loop for aaaages
  • captbirdseye 14 Dec 2012 00:09:13 4,787 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Don't give up too easily. It's very temperamental and a bit buggy right now and minor changes to settings can make it run fine. I haven't had many problems but there's loads of advice on the subreddit.
    You can find a few ini changes on google which have made huge differences for some people.
  • Progguitarist 14 Dec 2012 00:10:45 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I managed to get it running at a respectable frame-rate. I got my arse handed to me for about 20 mins. It seems to massively vehicle orientated. I don't remember being killed by a foot soldier once.

Pretty "meh" first impressions.
  • andytheadequate 14 Dec 2012 01:11:37 8,083 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Progguitarist - the first few hours won't be pretty, but it will get better. Some days I hate the game as I can't find a decent battle or die constantly, but when you do it's a thing of beauty.

Saying that though, it just crashed out for me :(
  • Progguitarist 14 Dec 2012 01:29:22 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @andytheadequate I don't understand why my GFX card is so poor. It says on "Can I Run It?" that it surpasses all the requirements by quite alot but it still says games would fail to run on account of the GFX card.

At least I did manage to blow up a tank tonight :)
  • magicpanda 14 Dec 2012 01:45:11 13,274 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had a blast tonight with the Outfit. Steamrolled a few bases against the odds in some.

Turning the tide by bombing the crap out of all the things was my highlight.

Bombed 2 sundies to bits and watched from the air as the rest of the platoon moved in on foot to clean up was pure gaming gold.
  • Pompeybear 14 Dec 2012 08:44:26 454 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I logged off just as you logged on Magicpanda. Was great rolling with the Outfit for the first time. Was only on for an hour but was top stuff.

Saul needs to take the cred for being patient with me while I fooked around on vent settings and answering all my noob questions.
  • SClaw 14 Dec 2012 08:47:20 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Had another epic night last night and was on for a lock of Amerish.

I joined up with a platoon who were really coordinated, splitting off squads to cap different outposts then rapidly converging to grab bigger points with overwhelming force. It was beautiful to watch it happening. In the end we were stationed at the mining base thing just outside the smurf warpgate, where my squad held a desperate battle against pretty much every smurf on the map while the rest of the platoon pushed barney away to grab the rest of the hexes. I shot down a crazy number of fighters and liberators (they were literally crashing into each other a little before that, because there were just so many of them in the air). And then it just tipped as barney quit playing, the entire platoon turned up and we just sat outside the warp gate nailing everything that came out until the last base was capped. I must say, I was expecting it to play some bitchin’ victory music or something but… no. Ah well, it was fun.
  • andytheadequate 14 Dec 2012 09:00:43 8,083 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Progguitarist - I'm afraid I'm not expert. Are you sure its your graphics card? Apparently the game is very CPU and RAM intensive...

I really enjoy this game but can't say I've been part of a co-ordinated attack/defence yet. I'm not sure whether my mic is quiet or people just seem to ignore me when I ask for a lift, where we are about to attack etc...
  • Mr-Brett 14 Dec 2012 09:19:38 12,723 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Progguitarist I assume you've had a fiddle with the graphics settings?
    The game is pretty demanding and the 5450 is getting a tad old now regardless of how much onbaord ram it has... sorry!

Portable view - Never forget.

• andytheadequate 14 Dec 2012 09:27:16 8,083 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    According to this website the 5450 doesn't meet minimum requirements:
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=2252&canMyGpuRunIt=Planetside%202
  • captbirdseye 14 Dec 2012 09:42:10 4,787 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    @Progguitarist - I'm afraid I'm not expert. Are you sure its your graphics card? Apparently the game is very CPU and RAM intensive...

I really enjoy this game but can't say I've been part of a co-ordinated attack/defence yet. I'm not sure whether my mic is quiet or people just seem to ignore me when I ask for a lift, where we are about to attack etc...
    It can take a while finding a decent group but I find that the mic only groups are generally the best.

Just a word of warning, the store is currently bugged for purchasing bundles etc and will not show in you inventory and SoE have no timescale on when this will be fixed.

Edited by captbirdseye at 09:44:06 14-12-2012
  • Progguitarist 14 Dec 2012 09:56:04 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    According to this website the 5450 doesn't meet minimum requirements:
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=2252&canMyGpuRunIt=Planetside%202
    Damn. Looks like I'll have to invest.
  • Progguitarist 14 Dec 2012 10:05:54 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @andytheadequate The CPU exceeds the requirements easily. It's an i7 thingy. I'm certain I'm being hobbled by the out of date GPU.

I did get a taste of the game though and although I got completely steamrolled, it was enough to convince me that I need this game.
  • GuiltySpark 14 Dec 2012 10:25:27 6,324 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just a note progguitarist, the amount of RAM it has is fairly inconsequential to the rest of the card, don't use it as a barometer for, well, anything really.

Get bent.

• Progguitarist 14 Dec 2012 10:28:30 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @GuiltySpark That was my mistake I guess. The last time I used a PC for gaming was WAY back in the Voodoo 2 days. More RAM meant it was generally better back then. Now, there's so many options, I haven't a bloody clue what to go for or know which will be compatible with my setup.
  • GuiltySpark 14 Dec 2012 10:32:01 6,324 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a crazy amount of threads about building PCs, you should have asked!

Though even if your graphics card is a bit naff, you still have every PC game from back in the Voodoo days until semi-recently to play, there's always a bright side.

Get bent.

• Progguitarist 14 Dec 2012 10:35:46 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I've been checking out what it can/can't run. The good news is I can't pick up something half decent for a good price. Now I just need to know what type/size etc.

If you guys could throw a recommendation or 2 via private message (don't want to completely shit on the thread ;)) I'd be very grateful.
  • MMMarmite 14 Dec 2012 11:47:12 996 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Progguitarist Buztafen posted a link in the Budget gaming thread to some GTX 560Ti's his company is getting rid of on eBay, pretty good price at £99 (and it'll play PS2 - my 560 non Ti plays it fine)
  • Progguitarist 14 Dec 2012 12:09:19 10,401 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MMMarmite Cheers dude. Looks like I have scored one (or similar for free).
  • Widge Moderator 14 Dec 2012 15:12:38 13,268 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    ATI Radeon 5450.

It's a 2gb card ;_;

How can it be so shit?

/been out of the PC loop for aaaages
    That 4 in your card number is the big factor here.

With ATi and gaming you never really want to go lower than a 7 there, so for that generation of cards (which has now moved from 5xxx to 7xxx), you'd be wanting a 5770 or a 5750 minimum. The bang for buck cards tend to be in the 8 range, so 5850, 5870 or 5890, with the expensive enthusiast cards being in the 9's so 59xx (although the 9's might be a recent phenomenon, my 4xxx series card only went up to 4890 before they introduced the inherent crossfire versions.

ANYWAY!

Nxxx - says how new it is
    xNxx - says what power range it is
    xxNx - finer detail about what power in that range

with higher being the best.

5450 screams "for media and old old games".

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• orpheus 14 Dec 2012 17:47:20 994 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Prog

Personally I'd avoid ATI anyway, had no end of trouble with my old 5770s and even two of them wouldn't cut it for most games nowadays. The 560ti is ok but a little on the old side now too.

If you can, go Nivdia. I run a 570 (quite cheap now the 6xx series is out) and it eats this for breakfast - go for something like that if you can.

I need a cpu upgrade really, my old i5 750 struggles a bit in bigger fights. :(

Top work with the outfit last night guys, was good :D

Edited by orpheus at 17:47:46 14-12-2012
  • andytheadequate 14 Dec 2012 18:24:10 8,083 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why do I sometimes get an experience bonus? I know there is a kill streak one but I sometimes get more points for reviving etc
  • Page

of 63 First / Last