• El_MUERkO 7 Dec 2012 01:49:23 16,833 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AA being buffed is going to suck for my Reaver :-(

Oh well, lightning pews!
  • GuiltySpark 7 Dec 2012 04:10:59 6,281 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What server are you chaps playing on? The server I'm playing on states population as low, I don't know if that's impacting anything gameplaywise.

Get bent.

• SClaw 7 Dec 2012 08:39:44 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AA buff??? Ohhhh hell yeah. Free monies.

On Woodman myself GuiltySpark. Never struggle for a big fight, but haven't had to queue for ages.
  • magicpanda 7 Dec 2012 08:51:07 13,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Main contingent seems to be Miller. That said the outfit only has a handful of people on at any one time.

Had a blast on this last night. Me a mate running Scythes with voice comms was ace and even though we are a bit crap it's awesome having a wingman.
  • Widge Moderator 7 Dec 2012 09:43:28 12,595 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not queued for a good long while on Miller has to be said!

MagicPanda, think I heard your voice last night! It was all kicking off arounda Biodome.

Got involved in an intriguing 3 way battle with the blue team defending the dome, and us and the reds either side fighting each other and our way into the dome.

Cracking. I need to get my spawn timer on the MAX down. It is quickly becoming a favourite. The forums say it is not worthwhile investing in, but the ability to have a roaming AA unit is really useful I feel. Especially as rocket locks far too easily are spun away from.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• magicpanda 7 Dec 2012 09:55:24 13,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are you fourfour in game widge?
  • Widge Moderator 7 Dec 2012 10:00:07 12,595 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oui!

fourfourfun, and on steam too I believe.

_ _ _

• andytheadequate 7 Dec 2012 10:07:34 7,956 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Widge - was I? I do like using the guns on them things so it is possible.

My favourite moment was when I accidently stepped on a thing that flew me miles through the air, straight onto a ledge with 20 enemies on. None of them saw me at first so I tries to shoot and stab a guy on a turret, but he had ridiculous amount of health and I was shot after my third stab.

How do you parachute on this? Managed to kill myself twice last night from falling...
  • MikeP 7 Dec 2012 10:12:50 1,676 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    @Widge - was I? I do like using the guns on them things so it is possible.

My favourite moment was when I accidently stepped on a thing that flew me miles through the air, straight onto a ledge with 20 enemies on. None of them saw me at first so I tries to shoot and stab a guy on a turret, but he had ridiculous amount of health and I was shot after my third stab.

How do you parachute on this? Managed to kill myself twice last night from falling...
    Unless you've ejected from a Galaxy or are a light assault I think you're out of luck with the parachuting.

AA buff would be nice - I used some of the Alpha Squad cash for a Skyguard

Edited by MikeP at 10:13:47 07-12-2012
  • MikeP 7 Dec 2012 10:15:02 1,676 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Widge Moderator 7 Dec 2012 10:31:24 12,595 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @andytheadequate yes, as a driver of "something" you notch up XP for people being on board and murdering things. I saw you sat in one of my seats. We drove somewhere but got battered.

I'm hoping to buff out my sunderer for the people who use it. I already have the zoom scopes (only 1 cert) but want a better variety of weapon... perhaps get one grenade launcher, one infantry and craft some loadouts for them with the NV ability too. Depending on the situ (air attacks or not) I can deploy a nade Sundy with either a machine gun murdering affair or the standard cannon. Also need to get that respawn time down and get the armour buffed.

It seems that the weapons are just going to be too expensive to grind for, so I'll have to consider a sub for them. I can afford the cheaper burst version of the Engineer rifle, so might check that out with a laser scope. Might suit my support mid distance role and encourage better aiming.

Parachute? The aircraft have an ability you can learn to stop falling damage (I continually E to exit by accident), but as standard - be careful!

You were at the biodome. They are shielded at the bottom and can only really be attacked at their upper entry points. Outside the biodome are encampments which can be capped to spawn at, and feature teleporters (to go directly in) and jump pads to the aircraft spawn pads.

I was enjoying just suicide running with grenades up there.

Knife isn't that effective. Two swipes and the buggers still stay alive!

_ _ _

• DUFFKING 7 Dec 2012 16:12:42 6,489 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been certing out my Pulsar C for light assault. Got both grips and a compensator now. Just need the HV ammo, but the grips have basically completely eliminated horizontal recoil. Just goes straight up now and is very controllable.
  • orpheus 7 Dec 2012 17:19:42 984 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Double XP weekend starts tonight @ 5pm, lasts till Sunday I think. Should be a big outfit presence online this weekend as people take advantage; I'm out tonight but will be leading squads Sat & Sun eves most likely!
  • ayamxii 7 Dec 2012 18:39:05 1 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hello Eurogamer, finally found a relevant thread to post up a couple of videos of Planetside 2, the first being a sheer apocalypse when the servers come down:

The second being racing a lotta types of smashy vehicles:

Hopefully I've pasted in the links correctly. These are both well produced efforts with highlights, no chaff in between, although they are over 10 minutes each. Okay, keep up the good fight, ladies and gentlemen!
  • Dire 7 Dec 2012 22:39:10 1,343 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What server & faction are the EG Lot playing as? I'm torn between which faction to be. I like all three!
  • andytheadequate 8 Dec 2012 01:08:57 7,956 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Most of us play vanu on miller
  • Errol 8 Dec 2012 13:51:38 12,374 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A lot of us are on Woodman (EU) - also as Vanu as well.

Double XP !!!
  • orpheus 8 Dec 2012 17:41:21 984 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hope to see some of you on tonight for the double xp, should be good!
  • andytheadequate 10 Dec 2012 10:45:04 7,956 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Really enjoyed the games last night. I've also finally worked out how to access vehicles so may give them more of a go tonight. Also put a bit of time into upgrading and spending my certs, which up to now I ignored until I knew how I should spend them. I'm generally a medic but occasionally play as an engineer.

Is there a red dot sight optic you can use for a medic gun? Tried looking at the descriptions but couldn't figure it out.

I'm still not brilliant at the game but can actually be some use now.
  • magicpanda 10 Dec 2012 11:17:14 13,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scopes!

I get most use out of the IRNV and 3x4 on my engi. Imo the forward grip is an essential purchase for the first engi gun as well.

Saw some amazing fights over the weekend. My KD for sessions is positive for the most part now which is nice (only took 40 hours of play!).

My favourite bits of this game are those calm moments before the storm. When you are rolling along quiet roads in a squad and start hearing distant booms and the aircraft appearing overhead are smoking from damage then you get to a ridge and all hell is breaking out below you.
  • andytheadequate 10 Dec 2012 11:34:00 7,956 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers for the link, will check it out tonight.

I love being part of a convoy heading into battle. It feels like you are unbeatable...until you see that the enemy has even more than you do.

It seems hard to capture certain locations. Think I spent around an hour getting into one small room last night. There were around 40 of us trying to push into it bit with little success. When I did finally manage it I fell off the roof so had to start from the beginning!

Also figured out how to switch continents. Much prefer the green one rather than the icey one
  • SClaw 10 Dec 2012 11:36:00 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is the first game in ages where I regularly find myself shouting at the screen in joy; usually when I’m popping cocky fighters or light assaults who think they’re sneaky.

I was defending a tech plant (forget the name) on Amerish Saturday night. We were getting hosed by reavers and liberators, and I was making a packet of certs by repairing the upper deck turrets… but they weren’t lasting under massive sustained smurf tank and aircraft attack. So I switched to my twin burster, flakked up max and gave them a right kicking.

After making a hundred certs under half an hour from nothing but kills I think I pissed of the pilots who kept flying directly at me (haha… your rockets have almost no effect on me now you got nerfed!). They started landing on the roof, or crash and bail as LA, and jump down. That got me a few times, but I got revenge by using the quick action button to drop on top of the plant and kill a few of the little buggers as an HA with my sexy beast of a mini-chaingun (seriously, so much better than anything else the HA can carry).

That whole battle was super epic. It took about an hour and half to force smurf back.

I experienced my biggest “doh” moment yet on Saturday as well. Quick dropped into Eismer, somehow hitting the top of an outpost building even through barney had long since pushed us back away from it. I spot two engis standing around and lob a grenade at them from the roof. Two kills! Hahaha… turn around, look down the other side, and there are about twenty people just standing around in a group healing. Nooooooo… need more grenade slots!

Edited by SClaw at 11:39:38 10-12-2012
  • Widge Moderator 10 Dec 2012 12:09:11 12,595 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have a 2x on my engineer gun and that forward rail now ... will look at the NVG type addition too.

Wish I had that dual burster though!

_ _ _

• President_Weasel 10 Dec 2012 12:20:54 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The second burster was half price in the sale the other day. I bought it with my SmedBucks.
  • SClaw 10 Dec 2012 12:35:27 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's worth every smedbuck. On the other hand, I get called a hacker pretty much constantly when I use it. It's super OP.

The lightning AA mount, however, is still shit so don't buy it*.

*Pro-Tip: It's actually insanely good at taking out turrets, however, so you can occasionally make good XP on a tower or tech plant attack but it's otherwise worthless.
  • Widge Moderator 10 Dec 2012 12:43:15 12,595 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Cheers for the link, will check it out tonight.

I love being part of a convoy heading into battle. It feels like you are unbeatable...until you see that the enemy has even more than you do.

It seems hard to capture certain locations. Think I spent around an hour getting into one small room last night. There were around 40 of us trying to push into it bit with little success. When I did finally manage it I fell off the roof so had to start from the beginning!

Also figured out how to switch continents. Much prefer the green one rather than the icey one
    Some places are horrible to get a hold of and they tend to hinge on your team makeup.

The BioDomes need you to cap the places on the outside to spawn from, and then have a combination of air support hammering the upper entrance points so you can have people air jumping up to them, and then people teleporting into the thing. Effectively the enemy always know where you are coming from AND you can't get any vehicles inside bar the MAX.

I like the towers with the 4 X airpads on the. Usually a case of taking the outside of the base and gradually pushing upwards until you can pin them in the spawn. If you get spawn camped, that is your sign to retreat to somewhere else.

I never seem to go to the sandy one!

_ _ _

• magicpanda 10 Dec 2012 12:56:17 13,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's the Tech plants that have the worst meat grinders. (The T Shaped bases with a ton of AA on the roof). Really badly designed.

Amp stations are, by far, my favourite fights. They have the traditional castle design with outer walls etc.

Oh and AA Maxes can get fucked. Never even see them (they often don't even render) before I'm dead or have to GTFO.

Edited by magicpanda at 12:57:34 10-12-2012
  • MMMarmite 10 Dec 2012 13:04:33 911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Massive 3-way fight over the Crown on Miller last night was a lot of fun.
  • SClaw 10 Dec 2012 13:49:33 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    At the risk of coming off less than modest, you guys are playing the game wrong if you take towers “gradually” and find the tech plant at all difficult to assault. The tech plant is particular is much easier to take than a bio dome.

Towers are best handled in two ways; 1) sundy block on the inside (NEVER park your sundy outside by the small door, because it's a easy target) at the bottom so you can instant storm the stairs (sundy works best shoved behind the wall somewhere, rather than on the pads to cut down return fire from the stairs). Storming the stairs is easy but people are dumb as bricks; run up and TURN – do not try to go straight to their spawn. You go out onto the balcony and circle around without a fight. Defenders never protect the balcony, and you can easily circle around and get into the control room to shut them down. 2) LA jump up on the balcony and get to the cap as above. Again; almost no one stands on that lower balcony to defend it. So long as you don’t stand around trying to kill people and just hit the objective it’s easy.

Assuming you have the numbers to hold the outer positions (this is critical to getting the cap down fast; you must take and protect those points FIRST), you can lock down a tower in less than five minutes no matter how well defended it is.

Tech plants are only hard to take if you’re stupid; no offense intended to those present. Firstly there is no point in sitting in front of a shielded door in your tank waiting for it to drop – just don’t. People are running out of there, are they? So what? You’re not helping with the cap picking off random people.

Running in the back door over and over and over and over and over… why are you bothering? You know, there is a gap over the shields in the main doors which is just the right size for an LA to fly through. Or… park a sundy there, use that and the boxes/ramps on side and just jump over (or, in fact, you can do that without one apparently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3jAG0iLlXY). And you’re in. Easy.

Or grab something which flies and land on the lower roof – not the top one, which is easy to get people off – but the lower roof which is only covered by two guns. You can access the elevator streams from there and get down or up far more easily than trying to enter through the rear doors. Great for stealthers to try sneaking in and popping the gen (a left or right turn from the stream gets you to the steps, plenty of cover to restealth in up there).

So long as your % is high it’s an easy take. Much easier than bio dome, where you can’t easily reinforce the external points if they are retaken and the firing lines are so much tighter (bio dome is most easily taken by using maxes via the teleporters; you’re wasting your time trying to get from the pads because they are easy to reinforce from the spawn and open to lib/fighter rocket fire).
  • Widge Moderator 10 Dec 2012 14:21:58 12,595 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I still seem to end up in a slideshow hell when there are loads of people in one area...

_ _ _

• Page

of 62 First / Last