And now - Google vs Apple

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Dirtbox 19 Aug 2012 13:17:17 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The reason behind Google's recent buyout of Motorola becomes apparent as they use Motorola's patents to come down on the notoriously patent trolling Apple. And come down hard.

They're asking the court to ban the import of ALL of Apple's products into the US.

One reaps what one sows, as they say.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:38:49 19-08-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Lukus 19 Aug 2012 13:42:14 19,006 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, up yours Apple.

Paintings & Photographs

• Dirtbox 19 Aug 2012 13:48:03 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The patent dispute with Apple drove Motorola into the ground with red tape and time wasting tactics, so this might actually be the end of Apple's dominance now they're against a company with unlimited funds and a grudge to bear. Interesting stuff and yeah, Apple can fuck themselves, their legal department have made them the enemy of the entire mobile industry.

• superdelphinus 19 Aug 2012 13:50:08 8,035 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes let's blame the lawyers as always
  • Dirtbox 19 Aug 2012 13:52:57 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had Apple not tried to patent troll Android and it's handsets, this would never have happened. They all infringe on numerous patents belonging to each other, but Apple are the ones that called the lawyers in and got aggressive about it.

• UncleLou Moderator 19 Aug 2012 13:53:40 35,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Once again, the definition of "patent troll". I've bolded the important bit. Competitors on the same market are, by definition, not patent trolls.

"Patent troll is a pejorative term used for a person or company who enforces patents against one or more alleged infringers in a manner considered aggressive or opportunistic with no intention to manufacture or market the patented invention."
  • Dirtbox 19 Aug 2012 13:54:27 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Either way, Apple are hypocritical cunts and deserve every inch of what this spells.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:55:54 19-08-2012

• superdelphinus 19 Aug 2012 13:58:23 8,035 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Had Apple not tried to patent troll Android and it's handsets, this would never have happened. They all infringe on numerous patents belonging to each other, but Apple are the ones that called the lawyers in and got aggressive about it.
    Yes, guns don't kill people, rappers do
  • dominalien 19 Aug 2012 13:59:00 6,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Motorola was not driven into the ground by Apple; its own management did that.

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 19 August 2012 13:59:26
    I don't know if it's covered within this but I wish a judge would overturn some of the patents, some of them are a joke. Take the 'slide to unlock' patent as one - why the fuck is that patentable? It's like patenting right click for menu on a pc.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:00:09
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yes, guns don't kill people, rappers do
    It's a bit early in the day to be drunk.
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Aug 2012 14:00:21 35,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyway, pretty standard stuff. Just gets more press than manufacturers of, say, white goods fighting each other.
  • Dirtbox 19 Aug 2012 14:03:31 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I dunno, there seems to be only one thing behind this, Google bought Motorola simple to pick this fight, so I can't see them backing off after some friendly licencing settlement is arranged, they're clearly out for blood.

• grey_matters 19 Aug 2012 14:08:31 3,678 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    iPad 4G and iPhone 4S exempt from the potential ban?
    How much will it affect them in that case?
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:10:51
    10-15% of revenue would be impacted iirc.

The ban will never happen, apple will just hold out until they have to agree a licensing deal which will slow the competition a little.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:11:04
    I detest Apple. Hope they get rinsed.
    Over priced garbage.
    What ever product they have there is a better and cheaper alternative. Also Apple products generally require the use of Apple programmes and is a hassle to do simple things like move music not using I tunes.
    I used Apple computers all the time at university, nightmare.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:12:22
    Exciting times in the world of patents
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:16:13
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I dunno, there seems to be only one thing behind this, Google bought Motorola simple to pick this fight, so I can't see them backing off after some friendly licencing settlement is arranged, they're clearly out for blood.
    Wait, Google bought a company solely in order to get into a legal fight and Apple are the bad guys in this? A bit contradictory there DB.
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Aug 2012 14:18:06 13,216 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Not entirely. While I have no doubt it was a good sweetener, there are more pragmatic things in play here. All the big handset manufacturers are doing a phenomenal job of fucking up Android. TouchWiz and SenseUI are an abomination - there to fight with other manufacturers over fluffy software bullet points on the back of the box rather than furthering the cause of Android and competing on useful features.

Google, I hope, woke up to the fact that if they actually want an Android handset that can stand up to Apple they're gonna have to make it themselves. No small order, as they're not a great design outfit really.

Having worked as a second party dev building pre-loaded apps for Samsung, HTC, and LG it really is sorrowful how badly they've mangled Android. I was happy to, professionally, leave them all behind.

Always fun to see a couple of behemoths acting like fucking infants in court though. :)
  • Fake_Blood 19 Aug 2012 14:19:57 4,085 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Exciting times in the world of patents
    Yeah those guys at the patent office all think they're real geniuses.
  • Lukus 19 Aug 2012 14:20:34 19,006 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Wait, Google bought a company solely in order to get into a legal fight and Apple are the bad guys in this? A bit contradictory there DB.

It's called 'a taste of their own'.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:21:42
    The only real great thing Steve jobs did was co-found and fund pixar, if it wasn't for his Apple money I wouldn't have seen all their great movies.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:22:08
    Lukus wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

It's called 'a taste of their own'.
    Apple have spent billions on companies in order to get into patent disputes?
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:23:22
    Anyway, fwiw, Google clearly didn't just buy Motorola to get into a fight. They are better than that, DB is just exaggerating.
  • Lukus 19 Aug 2012 14:24:14 19,006 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shut up fanboy. Go poop on your iChair.

Paintings & Photographs

• Lukus 19 Aug 2012 14:24:32 19,006 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :)

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:27:13
    Apple fans are the worst, worse than pc elitists, xbox fans, Sony fans.

Why did you get the I pad? Did u need it?

No I just found out Apple released a new gadget.

Oh, was it fairly priced?

Of course, it cost me many hundreds of pounds.

Wow it must do more than a laptop then?

No.
  • speedofthepuma 19 Aug 2012 14:28:30 13,268 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whereas you sound completely reasonable and sane.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Deleted user 19 August 2012 14:28:34
    Just generally ignored my first person this year. A bit of originality please!

Edited by mowgli at 14:31:06 19-08-2012
  • speedofthepuma 19 Aug 2012 14:29:41 13,268 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Just generally ignored my first person this year. A bit of originally please!
    I'm struggling with this sentence.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous