The Oculus Rift; VR Finally comes of age? Page 4

• Page

of 61 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 7 Aug 2012 09:57:43 44,246 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bob, I do think a note of caution might be wiser than the assumption that this will go mainstream based on the fact that Valve didn't say they were developing anything for it and a presumption that manufacturing levels can be increased if demanded.

It is interesting. It isn't a slam dunk revolution or a world changing bit of tech.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Phattso Moderator 7 Aug 2012 10:11:38 13,336 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But is anyone in this thread really saying that, LB? It doesn't have to be "world changing" to be "fucking awesome".

They've made great strides in the immersion and they've made great strides with the head tracking (although in both cases I'm taking other people's word for that) and Carmack has promised support in future id games.

If Bethesda are unifying tech, that could very well mean that all of the games from that stable benefit. If someone makes an intercept driver it'll work, albeit in a clunky fashion, with almost anything.

But I'm happy just to get one to play the Doom 3 BFG edition in the first instance - just for a bit of wish fulfillment. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

I can understand people casting a wary eye of any statement of intended world domination, but I'm genuinely very very surprised that more people aren't running around the thread giggling with excitement at the prospect of getting their hands on this thing.
  • LeoliansBro 7 Aug 2012 10:14:55 44,246 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    World weary cynicism is, as always, how any news of the Next Big Thing is greeted. I remember how amazing the Wii was going to be.

Not to say I'm not excited, just wary about how excited I get before having seen something properly concrete.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 7 Aug 2012 10:17:05 59,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    ..but I'm genuinely very very surprised that more people aren't running around the thread giggling with excitement at the prospect of getting their hands on this thing.
    I think the fact that kickstarter has proved to be a massive waste of time and money has tempered peoples enthusiasm somewhat.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Stickman 7 Aug 2012 10:23:27 29,666 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Personally, I think you're overestimating how many people are that bothered about a VR headset in the first place. Be good to have a go on one for a bit, but I wouldn't buy one even if it was in shops today.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Phattso Moderator 7 Aug 2012 10:33:46 13,336 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, entirely possible. Until the Carmack E3 demo I hadn't really given the field much thought in about a decade, but it reignited all that giddy excitement I had back in the day at the promise of a decent VR headset experience.

So yeah, just me. Definitely not The Next Big Thing, but when you have people like Carmack bothering to spend time working on it (like or hate the recent id output) it generally means there's something there and it's not all guff and bluster.

I can't see it being "the next Wii" or anything ridiculous like that, but I'm hopeful at the kind of experiences we might get for something like this. Less guns, more atmosphere. And not breaking the bank.
  • Phattso Moderator 7 Aug 2012 10:35:16 13,336 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But you should all totally read between the lines there and understand that I think you all have no souls, etc. etc.
  • kalel 7 Aug 2012 10:41:42 87,689 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I personally think it's more interesting from an-in-one console perspective than anything else. A console that doesn't need a telly (but isn't just a handheld) is an exciting prospect I think.
  • mal 7 Aug 2012 11:20:59 22,560 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    See you in the Wii U thread then, kal?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Phattso Moderator 7 Aug 2012 11:30:01 13,336 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I personally think it's more interesting from an-in-one console perspective than anything else. A console that doesn't need a telly (but isn't just a handheld) is an exciting prospect I think.
    But that's almost certainly something for the far future. Getting the necessary computational and rendering power into that form factor without melting someones head and requiring hefty batteries is no mean feat.
  • silentbob 7 Aug 2012 11:37:37 28,974 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Bob, I do think a note of caution might be wiser than the assumption that this will go mainstream based on the fact that Valve didn't say they were developing anything for it and a presumption that manufacturing levels can be increased if demanded.

It is interesting. It isn't a slam dunk revolution or a world changing bit of tech.
    I'm not sure I've said that anywhere LB. As Phattso states, if my updates are frequent and enthusiastic, it's because I'm checking things frequently and I'm enthusiastic.

Have you watched any of the videos / read any of the threads I've linked to though? Whilst I am (like anyone) prone to getting overexcited about such things, I've also got a pretty good history in objectively gauging the potential of display advances. And, reading between the lines and hearing the overwhelmingly enthusiastic critiques of this first prototype and it's potential from industry leading figures (remember Valve, EPIC, Unity, iD and by turns Bethesday), I can't help but feel that this thing is going to be significant. And whilst 'world changer' is a deliberately disingenuous and misleading statement to apply to my enthusiasm, if I had to call it, I would actually go as far as saying this was (quite literally) a game-changer.

I'm openly optimistic then, but privately I'm expecting the next big thing from this. But, as Phattso also says, if the worst case scenario is that we get 12 months of cool games and demos to try with a (very cheap) HMD to boot, I'll be on cloud nine regardless.

It won't take long for me to be proved wrong though, so you've all got that to look forward to at least. ;)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• kalel 7 Aug 2012 11:42:29 87,689 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    But that's almost certainly something for the far future. Getting the necessary computational and rendering power into that form factor without melting someones head and requiring hefty batteries is no mean feat.
    I mean more in terms of not needing a TV than a literal all in one.

As for the WiiU, I'm going to give it at least a year before I even consider one. Open-minded but highly cautious.
  • silentbob 7 Aug 2012 22:46:30 28,974 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Joystiq's impressions of the Quakecon Rift demo.

• silentbob 7 Aug 2012 22:59:10 28,974 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RockPaperShotgun heads on with the Rift.

• Dirtbox 7 Aug 2012 23:04:56 78,209 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are you a dev of some type, sb?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• silentbob 7 Aug 2012 23:06:23 28,974 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh! Project Holodeck - using the Oculus Rift.

• Dirtbox 7 Aug 2012 23:07:29 78,209 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    y/n

• silentbob 7 Aug 2012 23:10:17 28,974 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not even close to being smart enough. And no, I care not a jot that both Carmack and Luckey have said this first phase isn't for non developers (even stating that it's potentially unhelpful to do so), I must have one.

• mal 7 Aug 2012 23:20:32 22,560 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Heh! Project Holodeck - using the Oculus Rift.
    Interesting - it could mark the return of the games arcade. Instead of arcades being special because they're the only place that can afford the all that hardware in one place, VR arcades would be special because they've built the game hardware out of 2x4 and ply.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Aug 2012 07:02:25 38,244 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @silentbob Not to piss on your chips or owt, but if you're not a developer how do you intend to assemble the Rift when it finally arrives?

You make yourself sound "not smart enough" to put to together? So are you just going to make happy cooing noises at the $300 worth of individual parts for forever more?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Phattso Moderator 8 Aug 2012 07:07:23 13,336 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The $300 bundle comes pre-assembled, MrTom, so it's not an issue.

Being a software developer wouldn't help you anyway, you'd need to be good with the hardware side of things to assemble it.
  • Dirtbox 8 Aug 2012 07:10:14 78,209 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not only that, but it's not going to be able to play anything aside from a version of doom 3, and you'r probably going to have to compile your own drivers or something to that effect.

• silentbob 8 Aug 2012 07:16:53 28,974 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    @silentbob Not to piss on your chips or owt, but if you're not a developer how do you intend to assemble the Rift when it finally arrives?

You make yourself sound "not smart enough" to put to together? So are you just going to make happy cooing noises at the $300 worth of individual parts for forever more?
    Yer, cos assembling a kit it directly comparable to being a whizz with programming 3D worlds. ;)

Anyway, they'd sold out of the self assembly kits by the time I'd got my order in.

• Phattso Moderator 8 Aug 2012 07:23:07 13,336 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Not only that, but it's not going to be able to play anything aside from a version of doom 3, and you'r probably going to have to compile your own drivers or something to that effect.
    Even if that were true, regarding the drivers, it'd be half the fun. But it's not, I suspect.

But fuck me - not only do you guys not care about this, but you're actively going out of your way to spoil it for the (chosen) few who are. It's a very strange reaction.

Wait, let me check something...

*rustle* *rustle* *rustle*

Nope, my hardon for the Rift remains undiminished.
  • silentbob 8 Aug 2012 07:39:36 28,974 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    This isn't the case at all, but even if it were I could handle that. Plus, even if I couldn't, I know 20 developers that could.

Although your assertions on the initial software support side are probably bang on, this community of enthusiasts will help the scene blossom over the next few months, along with obvious industry support and enthusiasm for the tech already in place.

Phattso's right too, what the hell is it with the negativity?

• MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Aug 2012 07:53:16 38,244 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just find it hard to get over the "it makes you look like a twat" factor. Not a big deal, not a big mental hurdle for those of you who already looks like a twat. But when you're a naturally awesome looking fella like me it's difficult.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Aug 2012 07:55:59 38,244 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Yer, cos assembling a kit it directly comparable to being a whizz with programming 3D worlds. ;)

Anyway, they'd sold out of the self assembly kits by the time I'd got my order in.
    Well fair enough. I thought you had got one of the self assembly kits. Or I had hoped because that would have been fucking funny :-P

• Dirtbox 8 Aug 2012 08:18:39 78,209 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Phattso No, I care, I just think that getting the dev version of experimental hardware is a little presumptuous. Unless you're a dev and have a team of coders to take advantage of it. I am a 3D asset dev and this would be a great tool for modeling, and I have a team of coders, but we're not touching it until it becomes more concrete.

And Carmack's endorsement means nothing to me; he's backed some right shit in his time.

Edited by Dirtbox at 08:25:37 08-08-2012

• Page

of 61 First / Last