OUYA - Coming March 2013 Page 2

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• AceGrace 11 Jul 2012 13:01:23 1,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If this is to succeed, they need international distributors i.e. Make it available to buy either in shops are web sites e.g. Amazon.

No way am I paying customs duty on it.
  • Blerk Moderator 11 Jul 2012 13:03:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Struggling to figure out just who this is aimed at, tbh. Or who's going to bother releasing games for it - the big players obviously won't bother, and there's little here to appeal to the indies that they don't already have covered on the PC and/or iDevices.
  • Blotto 11 Jul 2012 13:04:33 2,712 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I like the idea, think it will work to a degree. I'm predicting they'll do reasonably well, get a solid if unremarkable userbase and some good games there. I don't think it'll change anything though but for that price I'd most probably end up buying one once a few killer games get made.
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 13:06:11 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    IIRC, Tegra3 at considerably outspecs the Wii but not quite up to the standards of something like 360. So plenty of scope for big, ambitious projects but it will never look as pretty as something like Watch Dogs.

Due to the shipping date, it could be that they decide to use the Tegra3 Wayne chip due out at the end of the year, which will include support for DirectX and PhysX as well as OpenGL.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• THFourteen 11 Jul 2012 13:20:23 32,857 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its very similar to that Google Scrotum or whatever it was that was announced recently really isnt it?
  • Deleted user 11 July 2012 13:20:30
    Watchdogs on any console won't look as pretty as Watchdogs.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2012 13:24:27
    It's going to need a far more robust store than whats currently on offer from Google if anyone is expecting to make money on games. And if it's completely open I guess it'll be as simple as it currently is to pirate anything on Android.
  • Fake_Blood 11 Jul 2012 13:25:59 4,068 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't wait to play all those amazing mobile and web games on my tv.
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 13:30:21 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    It's going to need a far more robust store than whats currently on offer from Google if anyone is expecting to make money on games. And if it's completely open I guess it'll be as simple as it currently is to pirate anything on Android.
    It's not using the Google Play store, so its possible. One of the pledge options provides prominence on the store for a year, so it looks like there will be some sort of advertising deals in place for devs.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• rivuzu 11 Jul 2012 13:43:13 987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We can but dream it'll ship with that chip @darkmorgado but considering when manufacturing will likely start, it'll probably not. It'll also be cheaper for them if it didn't too - wait for the revised version which'll come out after and it'll probably have it in.

There are a few concerns though which are starting to bug me now.

The RRP price in the UK. I mentioned it in the comments on the news article, but now I'm really starting to wonder how much it'll cost. Because if it stays at this price point, it'll be snapped up greedily by everyone in shops and so forth - but if retailers start charging above and beyond, it'll kill off the prospect as people will simply state they already have an android phone/tablet, why would they need a console?

Second worry is how often revisions will come. We know this'll run on similar gubbin's to Android phones, use the same OS as them and so forth. If thats the case, then isn't there also a genuine worry that the Ouya will be pumped out like phones are too? This is merely speculation, but when other developers jump on board with how well the Ouya sells (or doesn't, perhaps) and start making their own, will we not see the same over-saturation we see with current mobile phones?

Third worry, the store itself, and how many developers are prepared and willing to turn their currently existing games into Console versions. A lot of them had to do so for the transition from phone to tablet, but a third transition? How many can justify it?

And last worry, whilst this could herald a new age of gaming for some, it could spell doom for others; if big pubs do get behind the console and do create releases, how long will it be before they go down the already well trod path of phone-microtransaction reliant-releases? Fancy playing this fighter? Unlock each character for only 99p! Suddenly, each free game comes bundled with 20 worth of "optional" additions (similar to how SFxT had "optional" extra costumes and characters locked onto the disk, neh?)

I don't know, possibly overthinking here.
  • sport 11 Jul 2012 13:59:16 12,544 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope it's as good as the phantom.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2012 14:07:32
    Blerk wrote:
    Struggling to figure out just who this is aimed at, tbh. Or who's going to bother releasing games for it - the big players obviously won't bother, and there's little here to appeal to the indies that they don't already have covered on the PC and/or iDevices.
    I suspect it'll just have a reskinned version of whatever android version then debs just need to add controller support. It does seem completely pointless without a lot more power and upfront backing from major devs who want to recognise it as a viable 3rd proper console option.
  • rivuzu 11 Jul 2012 14:25:27 987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Boab wrote:
    It's not using the Google Play store, so its possible. One of the pledge options provides prominence on the store for a year, so it looks like there will be some sort of advertising deals in place for devs.
    New worry. If this is true, and the Play store isn't accessable, then the possibility of using emulators could become remote.

Though honestly, I could see more of a dual-market interface built in.
  • THFourteen 11 Jul 2012 14:30:59 32,857 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    well its a totally open source platform right, so can't you just load on stock ICS or whatever and use the playstore? or doesn't it work like that? Will the games not install due to "unsupported device"?

I dont really know how it works.

I did write them a little feedback note saying their stretch goals should be Netflix/iPlayer/Media Streaming, Emulators and Onlive.
  • sport 11 Jul 2012 14:37:46 12,544 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    well its a totally open source platform right, so can't you just load on stock ICS or whatever and use the playstore? or doesn't it work like that? Will the games not install due to "unsupported device"?

I did write them a little feedback note saying their stretch goals should be Netflix/iPlayer/Media Streaming, Emulators and Onlive.
    Could you also tell them to use cartridges? I miss cartridges :-(
  • THFourteen 11 Jul 2012 14:39:01 32,857 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think of SD cards like little mini cartridges!
  • sport 11 Jul 2012 14:41:27 12,544 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Think of SD cards like little mini cartridges!
    Sweet, I'll make little 500-in-1 labels with a picture of Mario fighting Contra.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2012 14:42:03
    Will prob fail but I hope it does well. Sound idea.
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 14:43:19 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When it comes to storage, just because it doesnt ship with a disk drive doesnt prevent other forms of physical media. Pre-loaded memory sticks, for example, or topping up a stick at a retailer with game data. Its certainly more a long-term consideration, and it would mean they would need to have some degree of drm and distribution deals to prevent piracy and bypassing the marketplace, but from a technical pov its a possibility.

But like I said, something to consider further in the future.

• spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 14:47:03 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sport wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

Could you also tell them to use cartridges? I miss cartridges :-(
    Would onlive be interested? I mean, they already sell their.own little box. I suppose they could release a paid-for app with subscription payments, but then they risk cannibalising their own sales.

• THFourteen 11 Jul 2012 14:48:39 32,857 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Almost certainly onlive would be interested, at the end of the day, they have an app on tablets, phones PC and are trying to get the iOS one approved.

This is just another way for them to sell their subscriptions - i dont think they make money off the onlive console, its just to get people hooked in

(i think)
  • Razz 11 Jul 2012 14:55:24 60,765 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SOLD, I'm a backer! :) March 2013 though... damn...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• THFourteen 11 Jul 2012 15:28:47 32,857 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks like they've had 65k+preorders already. Thats more than the Vita....
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 15:42:21 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Looks like they've had 65k+preorders already. Thats more than the Vita....
    :-D

• Wobble 11 Jul 2012 15:45:24 1,029 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The import duty issue is not really one of the 13 in vat.. it's that + the minimum of 8, often 15 'handling fee' that international couriers all seem to tack on if a package gets cuffed by customs.
    With that fee included, UK backers are essentially paying $20+$38 for shipping... over half the price of the product in the first place!
  • mrpon 11 Jul 2012 16:16:43 28,437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pledges seem to be heading towards $1 million a day so far, it'll taper off after a couple of days I'd imagine.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 16:19:24 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Even if it does, it's still damn impressive. The point's been made now, and the amount of backers in so short a time could go some way towards helping to convince more big-time investors.

• Kafeen 11 Jul 2012 16:19:54 552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wobble wrote:
    With that fee included, UK backers are essentially paying $20+$38 for shipping... over half the price of the product in the first place!
    I've had worse. I payed around 30 to get a CD shipped from Japan once...
  • Mr-Brett 11 Jul 2012 16:20:09 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wobble wrote:
    The import duty issue is not really one of the 13 in vat.. it's that + the minimum of 8, often 15 'handling fee' that international couriers all seem to tack on if a package gets cuffed by customs.
    That's pretty normal for shipping from the US, sometimes it actually costs as much as or more than the product.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 11 July 2012 16:30:59
    THFourteen wrote:
    Meh I have loads of devices under the telly that do that. An actual games console would be a welcome addition.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last