The best overlooked games this generation

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous
  • Ultrasoundwave 10 Jun 2012 09:53:13 3,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Games TM did a neat little feature this month on the best overlooked games this generation. To be specific, they did a top 25 (in no particular order), which is as follows :

Conan (PS3, 360) - "A game well worth the couple of coins it can be found for today"

The Club (PC, PS3, 360) - "Bizarre Creations' rare divergence from the driving genre managed to boldly combine tight shooter mechanics, an old-school score attack vibe and even racing sensibilities to create something truly original"

Zack & Wiki : The quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Wii) - "Its actually one of the better and more inventive Wii games available"

Dark Sector (PC, PS3, 360) - "In the Glaive, Digital Extremes had a catch-all instrument of awesomeness"

The world ends with you (DS) - "Lost among thousands of DS games despite being one of the most creative RPG's in years"

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) - "Valkyria's rise was a slow and steady one, though the low uptake over here means it was always destined to be a cult classic"

Lost in Blue 3 (DS) - "Its engrossing and probably represents the series' pinnacle so far"

X-Men origins : Wolverine (DS, PC, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, 360) - "The exception that proves the 'licensed games are all awful' rule, and one to check out if you just want to switch your brain off and hurt people"

Ninja Blade (PC, 360) - "Its not often you get to play an all-in-pink Ninja that throws wrecking balls at giant spiders"

Punch-out!! (Wii) - "Next Level Games did a fine job of following up Super Punch-Out!!, and while the template hadnt changed almost 20 years, it also proved that it didnt need to"

The Bigs 2 Baseball (DS, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, 360) - "2K's explosive take on the sport isn't all that dissimilar to Mario Kart - an accessible, OTT game that emphasises fun over all else and barely even requires knowledge of the sport"

Nier (PS3, 360) - "You'll never play another game like it because there wont ever be another game like it"

Wet (PS3, 360) - "Technically just shy of solid but immensely playable, the action-packed shooter was a playful and stylish adventure in the Tarantino mould"

Muramasa : The Demon Blade (Wii) - "Muramasa was an absolutely beautiful 2D adventure that remains one of the Wii's most intense graphical workouts"

Resonance of fate (PS3, 360) - "We'd completely forgotten it even existed until it came up in converation and we were inspired to return to it, only to find it slowly develops into one of the most interesting JRPG's ever made"

Alpha Protocol (PC, PS3, 360) - "Obsidians vision and commitment were enough to spin what could have been a disaster into a game that begs to be played"

Singularity (PC, PS3, 360) - "Ravens FPS took many of the concepts of the disappointing Timeshift and made them its own, creating a genuine ray of light in a genre swamped with Call of Duty copycats"

Enslaved : Odyssey to the West (PS3, 360) - "If your going to show your support for new original games, there are few stronger horses to back than Enslaved"

Deadly Premonition (360) - "Those that do take the plunge with this game might just find themselves surprised to find that a game so technically shabby can be some damn entertaining"

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (PS3, 360) - "Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is a charming and enchanting adventure. If your still waiting for The Last Guardian to materialize, then this is your game"

WWE All Stars (3DS, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, 360) - "It overcomes regular classification to offer an entertaining fighting experience"

Shadows of the Damned (PS3, 360) - "Its Resident Evil 4, as seen through the eyes of a grubby-minded teenager"

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (PS3, 360) - "Its a beautiful game whether you enjoy the rhythmic combat or not"

Malicious (PS3, PS Vita) - "Malicious is a clever fusion of boss battles and shooter elements. This could and should have been a Bayonetta contender"

Syndicate (PC, PS3, 360) - "Elements of Crysis fusing with ideas pinched from the classic RTS from which the game takes its name make for a stunning and satisfying slice of cyberpunk silliness"

Ok, that was way too much typing for a Sunday morning :eek: . Definitely going to seek a few of these out though, especially Malicious on the Vita.....never even heard of it!.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• jabberwoky 10 Jun 2012 10:05:26 465 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really useful list, thanks for posting it.
  • muttler 10 Jun 2012 10:18:07 3,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Acgree with Valkyria Chronicles and Shadows of the Damned.

I'd add Little Racers Street (from xbl indie games), and Mini Ninjas.
  • Vortex808 10 Jun 2012 10:18:20 6,965 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alpha Protocol is a must if you haven't played it. Especially if you like rpgs and spy/intelligence agency shenanigans.

I keep meaning to try singularity and enslaved, but haven't managed to get round to them yet.

Edited by Vortex808 at 10:19:19 10-06-2012
  • muttler 10 Jun 2012 10:18:45 3,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jabberwoky wrote:
    Really useful list, thanks for posting it.
    lol
  • jabberwoky 10 Jun 2012 10:40:46 465 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @muttler Do you normally laugh out loud for no apparent reason? Some kind of condition maybe?
  • heavy_salad 10 Jun 2012 10:48:02 715 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've fancied trying the World Ends With You for a while, but it's really hard to find at a decent price.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Jun 2012 10:50:28 14,419 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wanted to love Deadly Premonition but due to the fookin QTE's which I still HATE in any game, I could not. The bits that did not have qte's were awesome and strange.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• robthehermit 10 Jun 2012 10:52:47 3,982 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really should go back and have another look at Majin, Resonance of Fate, Nier and Alpha Protocol. All games I've started but got distracted from. Majin I think will be first on that list.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• kinky_mong 10 Jun 2012 10:53:54 9,962 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Definitely agree that Wet, SotD and Deadly Premonition are all flawed gems (the latter being one of my favourite games of this gen), but I really didn't rate Singularity or Enslaved. Each to their own though.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Deleted user 10 June 2012 10:53:57
    heavy_salad wrote:
    I've fancied trying the World Ends With You for a while, but it's really hard to find at a decent price.
    It is sites so I wouldn't bother.
    VC on the other hand is superb and one of the best games of this generation.
  • Mr-Brett 10 Jun 2012 11:08:44 12,723 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deadly Premonition I borrowed from a friend briefly, I admit I didn't see the greatness there... I'll have to give it another go at some point. Similar story for Alpha Protocol, it just seemed cheap and janky, again I plan on giving it a second chance at some point :/

Portable view - Never forget.

• Progguitarist 10 Jun 2012 11:10:06 10,401 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nier was such a brilliant game
  • Paulanator 10 Jun 2012 11:49:29 482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glad to see Dark Sector get a mention. Was a very enjoyable 3rd person shooter and the Glaive really did make the combat a lot less one- dimensional. Looked gorgeous too by virtue of Digital Extremes' Evolution engine which could really impress when it wanted to.
  • Stranded87 10 Jun 2012 12:14:02 858 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The World Ends With You is the best game on DS imo. Absolutely essential.

Alpha Protocol is almost RPG of the generation but lack of polish holds it back. Still a must play though.

I keep wanting to try Nier but haven't got round to it.

Edited by Stranded87 at 12:30:47 10-06-2012
  • RyanDS 10 Jun 2012 12:22:40 9,062 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Nier was such a brilliant game
    I turned it off when the stripper came on flashing his / her panties. I don't mind a little paedophilia / Japanese weirdness in my gaming, but that was just fucking embarrassing.

Conan I played for a couple of hours before getting bored.

Alpha Protocol I enjoyed.

World Ends With you I thought was actually rather shit.

Valkyria Chronicles was absolutely amazing, especially the sequel.

Haven't played any of the others.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Jun 2012 12:26:18 14,419 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to throw in Two Worlds II into the mix. I'm one of the very few who loved the first game, but even if you did not like it...and plenty did not ;)TWII is a great wrpg it also has a great co-op campaign, as well as deathmatch etc. It also has a great village builder sim, where you do various quests for people and build your very own living,breathing town.

@spacewarrior, AP was not too broken, I have never understood this argument, yes it had a few faults, but nearly every game does. I managed 3 playthroughs on it and had no problems whatsoever.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 12:29:14 10-06-2012

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Shikasama 10 Jun 2012 12:28:08 6,620 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nier and Alpha Protocol are two of my favourite games I've ever played.

In gameplay andinnovation blew games like Mass Effect 3 out of the water.
  • robthehermit 10 Jun 2012 12:37:57 3,982 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I will play TW 1&2 at some point. I have them both on my shelf to play. In fact with the sheer volume of unplayed/unfinished games I have I could probably get away with not buying another game for the next 2-3 years.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Gruff 10 Jun 2012 12:43:30 2,841 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That list just made me go and order Nier and Majin :)

Agree with El Shaddei and Enslaved.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• andywilkie35 10 Jun 2012 12:46:32 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nier and Alpha Protocol are two of my favourite games this gen by a long way. Good to see they were mentioned.

edit: as Shikasama said :)

Edited by andywilkie35 at 12:46:58 10-06-2012

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• andywilkie35 10 Jun 2012 12:49:24 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    heavy_salad wrote:
    Keep an eye on the US Amazon site - every now and then they put games like this up in a sale - managed to pick this and Dragon Quest V up from there for £27 including postage, brilliant!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 10 June 2012 13:11:09
    Alan wake. Bayonetta. Syndicate. All sold over a million but Alan wake especially was overlooked, that should have done 5 million.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2012 14:01:49
    Hmm might have a look in Xtravison later. They had Alpha Protocol second hand there for €10 or €15. but there's a buy two get one free deal so I'll have a look for Nier as well, too many damn games.

Also i'd say the Yakuza series and Folklore.
  • Sid-Nice 10 Jun 2012 14:04:20 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How could you overlook Far Cry on the Wii?

NNID Sid-Nice

• RyanDS 10 Jun 2012 14:25:19 9,062 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    How could you overlook Far Cry on the Wii?
    By playing three far better PC version
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous