• Page

of 23 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 23 Jan 2013 18:40:00 5,530 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Ignore what I write.
    REPORTED

... I played the demo again last night with the lights off and volume up.

Only made me jump once when those metal cylinder doors opened unexpectedly. If you think about it, the sound is actually the star of the show; the amount of times I stop to look around because of a unidentified noise is more than actual physical scares.

Unless this receives harshly written reviews in a fair few reliable places, I doubt I will be able to turn away from Issac's new adventure - I like the Dead Space series!
  • dominalien 23 Jan 2013 19:01:21 7,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you think about it, the sound is actually the star of the show
    Always has been in this series. :-)

I liked the demo very much. Although I did groan in my mind when they told me to crouch behind some crates.

PSN: DonOsito

• Darth_Flibble 23 Jan 2013 19:06:02 1,781 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    stryker1121 wrote:
    The hand-wringing over the game is verging into DmC territory a bit. I'm not a fan of 'action' taking precedence over 'horror-action,' but like Ultrasoundwave said, it's unlikely the game is going to be dud people think it will be, and hell it could actually be quite good. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.
    The "hand-wringing" is no where near as bad as the unjustified hate DmC is getting (Ninja theory got death threats and government petitions to stop the game being sold!)

I don't think the game is going to be a dud or 4/10 but its going to lose some points for being another shooter. The selling point was horror action instead of shooty action taking precedence

Will rent this but I'll be fucking shocked if its as good as 1 and 2
  • Deleted user 23 January 2013 19:07:43
    Heh!

Some of the necromorphs sound designs just seem hilarious like the wobbbagabble sound the little spider things make.
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Jan 2013 19:10:51 5,530 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    If you think about it, the sound is actually the star of the show
    ... although I did groan in my mind when they told me to crouch behind some crates.
    I went one further and actually let out an audible tut when the game told me to press a button to go behind a crate!

I think it looks too similar to Dead Space 2 to be much of a revelation however, seeing as I thoroughly enjoyed the first and second one, I am quite happy to let it be my first new game of this year.
  • Oh-Bollox 24 Jan 2013 16:23:35 5,435 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sound design is good, shootouts are awful, universal ammo makes no sense, and the ability to not only find it but make as much as you want is a bit daft. Monster design and associated stuff owes a massive debt to The Thing. Demo was okay up until the drill. Stupid.

P.S. Including gameplay instructions on the holomenus dispels the immersion of having them.
  • kinky_mong 24 Jan 2013 16:31:16 10,870 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played the demo last night, and I didn't really think much of it. Way too action focussed (which is not the series strong point), and I wasn't too fond of the limit of just the plasma cutter and a second weapon that was pretty useless no matter what I crafted.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Cappy 24 Jan 2013 17:01:33 12,119 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked the demo, it's a buy.

I wonder what people will think in the next decade when it clearly apparent that during this decade, games had homogenised into variations on the same few experiences.

Maybe they should let me make the controller mappings all the same so I can seamlessly switch from Dead Space to Uncharted to Tomb Raider, then Mass Effect etc.
  • Cadence 24 Jan 2013 17:04:32 1,696 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't forget all the dead space demos have been a bit shit. The one for the first game was awful if I remember rightly.
  • King_Edward 24 Jan 2013 17:05:08 11,471 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The only difference I could see between this and the first DS was that now the enemies pop out of the floor instead of every other cupboard.
  • Oh-Bollox 24 Jan 2013 22:42:56 5,435 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    Don't forget all the dead space demos have been a bit shit. The one for the first game was awful if I remember rightly.
    True, it was shit, put me off buying DS for months.
  • stryker1121 24 Jan 2013 23:38:54 770 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    stryker1121 wrote:
    The hand-wringing over the game is verging into DmC territory a bit. I'm not a fan of 'action' taking precedence over 'horror-action,' but like Ultrasoundwave said, it's unlikely the game is going to be dud people think it will be, and hell it could actually be quite good. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.
    The "hand-wringing" is no where near as bad as the unjustified hate DmC is getting (Ninja theory got death threats and government petitions to stop the game being sold!)

I don't think the game is going to be a dud or 4/10 but its going to lose some points for being another shooter. The selling point was horror action instead of shooty action taking precedence

Will rent this but I'll be fucking shocked if its as good as 1 and 2
    I thought the DmC petition was trolling, but duly noted. Perhaps the DS3 consternation isn't as bad, but there are a hell of a lot of people down about the game based on the demo or just b/c of the perceived action focus. I'm holding out hope that the shooty action doesn't overwhelm the quieter, atmospheric bits. DS3 won't go back to origins but I can live with it if it's like DS2.
  • GiarcYekrub 25 Jan 2013 01:08:21 3,903 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where is the best preorder deal?
  • SlackMaster 25 Jan 2013 08:39:37 3,134 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Loved the original, and liked the second... Didn't find running away from the invincible necromorph that fun or the mad dash to spire at the end. The last boss fight depending on what weapons you had was either extremely difficult or really easy.

I remember I'd levelled up my plasma cutter as it was the most useful gun in the game, then got to the last boss and couldn't dent it. I kept dying over and over as I'd eventually get caught by an unlucky insta-kill.

I eventually got so fed up that I read a guide and then reloaded a save and did the dash to the spire again but with the Contact Beam equiped, then killed the boss in 3-4 hits with it bearly upgraded.
  • Monsieur_Blade 25 Jan 2013 11:05:55 357 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Played the demo last night and I've got mixed feelings. I liked the new snowy setting and being able to upgrade your weapons.  It was far too action orientated though.... But I'm hoping that's just the way the demo was cut together. I really didn't like the human enemies at the end either or the crouching behind boxes for cover.

There was def a bit of promise in there though but it hasn't persuaded me to pre order.  Think I'll wait for some reviews and forum thoughts before deciding.

I absolutely loved dead space and dead space 2 just stayed the right side of creepy silence/ big action. I've got a feeling dead space 3 could go the other way though. Be interesting to see the review scores come in over the next few weeks.
  • kinky_mong 25 Jan 2013 17:30:17 10,870 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When is the free-to-play model not free?

When EA want to nickel and dime you even more.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Darth_Flibble 25 Jan 2013 17:36:40 1,781 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A lot of people didn't like the invincible necromorph monster at the end of 2. Apart from that, great game

I think review sites will need to batten down the hatches from tard invasion if the game does not get a 9. As I have noticed the angry psycho defence of this game on other sites, the more you make your game a actiony shooter, the viler, aggressive and dumb the new fanbase gets.

edit: beaten to when typing this

This is Visceral's "reason" for adding Microtransactions

“There’s a lot of players out there, especially players coming from mobile games, who are accustomed to micro-transactions. They’re like “I need this now, I want this now”. They need instant gratification. So we included that option in order to attract those players, so that if they’re 5000 Tungsten short of this upgrade, they can have it.
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-13942-Dead-Space-3-to-Include-Microtransactions--Visceral-Explains.html

so full of shit, just be honest and say EA forced you to

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 17:38:50 25-01-2013
  • MatMan562 25 Jan 2013 18:22:08 2,615 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aren't these 'microtransactions' pretty much the same as buying the better suits and weapons that you could in the other 2? Granted, that was shitty to begin with but I don't see why everyone's suddenly got enraged about it.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Darth_Flibble 25 Jan 2013 18:41:15 1,781 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Aren't these 'microtransactions' pretty much the same as buying the better suits and weapons that you could in the other 2? Granted, that was shitty to begin with but I don't see why everyone's suddenly got enraged about it.
    I think a lot of gamers are getting annoyed with it, also not like the suits in 1 and 2 as you can use them for every playthrough. With this, its a payment everytime. Soon it will compulsory,

Read on a post in that link about godfather game on 360 where the top game was only purchasable if you paid real money. Imagine everygame where you had pay extra to get the decent weapon instead of a pea shooter

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 20:02:37 25-01-2013
  • MatMan562 25 Jan 2013 19:25:51 2,615 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hadn't thought about having to pay multiple times for the same thing. Fair enough then, I shall also shake my fist in Visceral/ EA's (most likely EA's) direction.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• jabberwoky 26 Jan 2013 10:56:02 527 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes, I think I can live without dead space 3 if its been designed around microtranactions. Plenty else to play.
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Jan 2013 11:16:06 1,781 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    will rent this if I can't borrow it off someone at work but it pisses me off one of the last few survival horror games is becoming more generic action. Sadly there is all these greedy gamers who want every game to be the same sort shooty shooty action.

its rare to find a well made RPG (witcher 2 on 360 was the last good one) the others are these broken and low budget efforts) While games like risen 2 and TW2 have their moments, they can annoying to play thanks to bugs and stupid gameplay ideas.

360achievememts news comments section has the usual thick idiots who still can't understand why this microtransactions are bad despite people saying why they are bad. Its like EA beats the shit out of them and they crawl back to EA begging to be abused.

If it was just suits you can download outside of the game then I wouldn't be that annoyed (as long as there is decent armour you can get). EG has a really Saturday Soapbox: Buy-to-let gaming article
  • itinkuravinalaff 27 Jan 2013 13:32:57 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's a stinker going by the demo.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 14:06:00
    Think I'll be canceling my pre order for this.The shooting in the demo felt off and seeing as thats what the game now prides itself on now its not exactly great.

Maybe when it hits bargain bin pricing I'll pick it up.
  • Syrette 1 Feb 2013 22:42:19 44,280 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm going to rent this - but by doing so I'll be missing the co-op mode as I'm not planning on forking out for an online pass.

I probably won't really miss out on that much will I?

• Rens11 2 Feb 2013 10:55:41 1,465 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it origin only on PC?

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• Page

of 23 First / Last